No announcement yet.

John Sheppard Whump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Alipeeps;6383954]Technically, it is grammatically incorrect... however, in practice, it is used a lot! I was certainly taught at school that you should never begin a sentence with a conjunction but, as I said, it is something you do see quite often and I have been naughty and done it myself now and then... sometimes the sentence etc just seems to need to be written that way!

I agree. Its best not to use 'And' at the start of a sentence unless there's no other way around it. Whenever I've done essays/dissertation I've just avoided doing it just to be on the safe side.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Copter for the Sig and Avi!!!

Comment

Originally posted by H Louise View Post
      What are you writing Caty?
      A term paper

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
      Technically, it is grammatically incorrect... however, in practice, it is used a lot! I was certainly taught at school that you should never begin a sentence with a conjunction but, as I said, it is something you do see quite often and I have been naughty and done it myself now and then... sometimes the sentence etc just seems to need to be written that way!
      I'm just not sure cause it is a university paper and I should probably stick to the official rules. But it does feel like the sentence needs to be written that way...
      *Sig by the wonderful and talented Pegasus_SGA*

Comment

Originally posted by caty View Post
        I'm just not sure cause it is a university paper and I should probably stick to the official rules. But it does feel like the sentence needs to be written that way...
        I would say for a university paper - where I assume you are being marked/judged also on the standard of your writing/language, not just the content - then stick to the strict interpretation of the grammar rules and do no begin a sentence with a conjunction.
        sigpic

Comment

I've just finished reading Winter by Kodiak Bear Country and added it to Sheppard's flock, my C2 at ff.net, it was a good read.

Caty - good luck on the term paper. What is it about?
          sigpic

Comment

I would say for a university paper - where I assume you are being marked/judged also on the standard of your writing/language, not just the content - then stick to the strict interpretation of the grammar rules and do no begin a sentence with a conjunction.
            You're right, I probably should... I may need to change the sentence

Thanks for your help, anyway

Thanks, I'll need it... It is on Native Canadian Short Stories...

Well, I have to go to the library now. See you guys in a little bit!

Comment

You're right, I probably should... I may need to change the sentence

Thanks for your help, anyway
              Hey, if you want any help I'd be more than happy to run a quick eye over it and give thoughts/advice.
              sigpic

Comment

Hey, if you want any help I'd be more than happy to run a quick eye over it and give thoughts/advice.
                You would???? I was thinking about asking somebody on here to check for any language and grammar mistakes anyway, once it's finished. But I didn't have the courage up to now... It won't take long, but I'm sure there are some mistakes in it.

I'd love you if you could

Comment

I've just finished reading Winter by Kodiak Bear Country and added it to Sheppard's flock, my C2 at ff.net, it was a good read.

It is wondeful, isn't it. She has a couple more up at the SGAflashfic challenge on lj. There are 43 stories entered in the sickness challenge. Some are slash, so if you don't like it, then read the synposis for each story carefully. There are some great stories there. Here are some links:
                  To the challenges:
                  http://www.livejournal.com/tools/mem...nge&filter=all
                  I'd recommend Kodiak's two stories and Everybetty and Kristen999's 'The Unkindest cut' particularly!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks, I'll have a gander once I get through the long list of fic still waiting on my computer to read! lol. Or I might read that first...
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, gotta go and get ready for work.

See you all later,

H x
                      sigpic

Comment

You would???? I was thinking about asking somebody on here to check for any language and grammar mistakes anyway, once it's finished. But I didn't have the courage up to now... It won't take long, but I'm sure there are some mistakes in it.

I'd love you if you could
                        I'd be happy to chick. D'you have my email address? You can email it to me once it's done and I'll have a quick read through and send it back..
                        sigpic

Comment

I'd be happy to chick. D'you have my email address? You can email it to me once it's done and I'll have a quick read through and send it back..
                          How cool *hugs Ali*... Yeah, I have your E-Mail adress... I'll probably have the first draft finished tonight... Or most of it

Some OTness... We have a show in Germany calld 'The perfect dinner'. 5 people cook dinner for each other on each day of the week and the best one wins at the end. I just went grocery shopping after I was done at the library and this woman asked me that they were doing one in Bonn soon and if I wanted to be one of the 5 people
                          Of course, I declined cause I live in a crappy appartment with room mates and I can't cook But it was fun... I could have been on TV. Of course, I would have made a total fool of myself

Comment

How cool *hugs Ali*... Yeah, I have your E-Mail adress... I'll probably have the first draft finished tonight... Or most of it

Some OTness... We have a show in Germany calld 'The perfect dinner'. 5 people cook dinner for each other on each day of the week and the best one wins at the end. I just went grocery shopping after I was done at the library and this woman asked me that they were doing one in Bonn soon and if I wanted to be one of the 5 people
                            Of course, I declined cause I live in a crappy appartment with room mates and I can't cook But it was fun... I could have been on TV. Of course, I would have made a total fool of myself
                            Awwww you shoulda done it! I could have said I know someone famous!
                            sigpic

Comment

A bit late i know, but the 'elf' ears reeeaaalllyyyy get my pulse racing.....I am Soooooooo sad
                              sigpic

my fan fiction place

Comment

Technically, it is grammatically incorrect... however, in practice, it is used a lot! I was certainly taught at school that you should never begin a sentence with a conjunction but, as I said, it is something you do see quite often and I have been naughty and done it myself now and then... sometimes the sentence etc just seems to need to be written that way!
                                *adjusts halo* start with a conjunction? I NEVER do that... *G*

But, it would be fun to try.

hehehehe...

Seriously, though, in creative writing, sometimes creative liberties are taken with grammar. its a fine line between creative liberty and "readability" but done right, its much better, IMHO. Otherwise stories tend to read very formulatic. I've seen the best grammar writing in the world in a story that just couldn't hold my attention and with every sentence reading with the same structure, it got to the point where it was distracting.

Just my .02

For technical papers, however, I'd definitely err on the side of grammatically correct.
                                sigpic
                                My Fanfiction: fanfiction.net ** My LJ (Art and Fanfiction): SGAFan LJ

Comment

Working...
                                X