This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
    At the risk of sounding like the stupid, clueless male, could someone please explain to me why the general discussion here, both from the mods and the general members, is focused on no more than two threads? It seems to me like you're trying to group people into black or white when there's several shades of grey. What's wrong with having multiple Torri threads? That way there's no ambiguous confusion as to the purpose of each thread.
    So for example...

TH/EW Disc, TH/EW App, TH/WE thunk, EW ep Disc, JS/EW app, JS/EW Disc, JS/EW thunk...

...you got seven threads there. You fancy keeping up with them?

It would take over the forum.

You have 7 threads for Torri/Weir, there's nothing to stop the others having the same. That would be approx 80 threads just for the characters/actors. Then add the various ship threads and anti threads on top of that.

There's no actual need to more than two threads.
    We've always had two threads in the past (for any character) and there's never been a big a problem as we have here.

There wouldn't be enough substance/material to keep several threads going.
    Especially in the season breaks. The Weir Discussion frequently falls to the 3rd and 4th page (This is not an invitation for people to bump the thread ) bc there isn't new stuff to talk about etc. You start breaking everything up and you'll have covered everything relative in a matter of weeks, probably even days.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyLizzie
      So for example...

TH/EW Disc, TH/EW App, TH/WE thunk, EW ep Disc, JS/EW app, JS/EW Disc, JS/EW thunk...

...you got seven threads there. You fancy keeping up with them?

It would take over the forum.

You have 7 threads for Torri/Weir, there's nothing to stop the others having the same. That would be approx 80 threads just for the characters/actors. Then add the various ship threads and anti threads on top of that.

There's no actual need to more than two threads.
      We've always had two threads in the past (for any character) and there's never been a big a problem as we have here.

There wouldn't be enough substance/material to keep several threads going.
      Especially in the season breaks. The Weir Discussion frequently falls to the 3rd and 4th page (This is not an invitation for people to bump the thread ) bc there isn't new stuff to talk about etc. You start breaking everything up and you'll have covered everything relative in a matter of weeks, probably even days.
      Keep up with as many as you need to. Besides, I wouldn't worry about finding substance to keep them going. Just look at what the girls in this thread talk about sometimes . There's always the risk that there won't be something to talk about, whether we have 7 threads, 2 threads, or 100. But at least we could be assured that there would be less off-topic discussion as it would be clear what each thread's purpose was. I think saying that there's no need for more than 2 is untrue, given how much dissent there's been over what is on topic in these threads and what's not.

PS - I agree it might overtake the forum, but I have an idea to solve that which I'm going to forward to the mods and general members via the Forum Announcements forum. It might be a good idea, we'll see...

Comment

Originally posted by Lizlove
        I figured the cliques are still there, they're just not obvious. I like to think myself friends with some of you, not much let me admit.

Yes, you can be friendly with everyone but the older ones are 1 group and the newbies are another one. It took me a long time to be accepted here and I still think some people don't accept me and maybe never will. I don't really care, life is like that. I don't try to be nasty or bashful here, I'm just telling what I feel from my perspective as a newbie.
        This is in response to the issues you bring up, but it's really directed at everyone.

No one here should feel like they as an individual or group are being singled out. Really. I wouldn't describe what's here as a clique. Rather, it's close friendships that have formed. Think of it this way: would you feel closer to someone that you just saw in class or at work each day, or someone that you hung out with all the time and talked to on a regular basis?

For me, personally, I was like that for a long time. There's still times when I feel like a bit of an outsider. It wasn't until I really started chatting with people on MSN and such that I really got to become friends with people, for the reason mentioned above. This is a fast-moving thread, and it's impossible to respond to every post. As such, some posts get lost in the thread without being replied to. That's just bound to happen, and I really hope that nobody takes that personally. Me, I only generally respond to posts where I'm being addressed or if I really feel like I have something to add, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's has nothing to do with a clique at all.

Like SallyLizzie said: you can't be best friends with everyone. In fact, in a thread this size, that'd be tough! But you can be friendly!
        "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
        My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar

We are NOT Splitting THIS THREAD

the only thing up for discussion for THIS thread...is

1) will those wanting discussion ONLY be fine moving over to the Weir/Torri Discussion Thread???

2) Would you want this thread be archived IF we start a Fresh Torri/Wer Central?

Thats it.

Sorry, I used the wrong word when I talked about 'splitting up the threads' and therefore didn't really make myself clear.

I am absolutely okay with the idea of having the two seperate threads, keeping the Torri/Weir Central as the WOW thread and moving discussion somewhere else. My personal reason for that, however, is solely that if we can't make a merged thread work then I hope that by having two separate threads for thunking and discussion, we can make this a fun place for all Torri/Weir fans again. This way everybody would be able to choose which thread to go to depending on their personal preferences.

But as TF said, while this will provide people with the opportunity to stay away from stuff they don't like, I hope that we will all learn to be a little more considerate with each other. Otherwise we will never make this work, no matter how many threads are created or what they are called.

As for keeping the old Torri/Weir Central thread archived in case you start a fresh one: I think that would be a good idea because even though I haven't been around that long I know that there are posts in there that mean a lot to many people here. It would be nice for them to keep those memories.

I'm sorry, I didn't manage to express my opinion on this in the right way in my first post but I hope I made myself clearer on that issue now.
          SIG BY THE EVIL PUPPY

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
            the only thing up for discussion for THIS thread...is

1) will those wanting discussion ONLY be fine moving over to the Weir/Torri Discussion Thread???

2) Would you want this thread be archived IF we start a Fresh Torri/Wer Central?

Thats it.
            Tame, we're trying to solve some issues that are going to affect the new threads, no matter what you do with them

Personally, I feel that is why the merge failed, bc the 'deeper' problems weren't really addressed or solved. We might have a bad rep but sometimes we are capable of sorting out our differences by ourselves. I feel there's been times when we've been making progess, only for a mod to come in and complicate matters further. I'm not dissing you, or any of the mods, but can we get a little more credit please?

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten
              This is in response to the issues you bring up, but it's really directed at everyone.

No one here should feel like they as an individual or group are being singled out. Really. I wouldn't describe what's here as a clique. Rather, it's close friendships that have formed. Think of it this way: would you feel closer to someone that you just saw in class or at work each day, or someone that you hung out with all the time and talked to on a regular basis?

For me, personally, I was like that for a long time. There's still times when I feel like a bit of an outsider. It wasn't until I really started chatting with people on MSN and such that I really got to become friends with people, for the reason mentioned above. This is a fast-moving thread, and it's impossible to respond to every post. As such, some posts get lost in the thread without being replied to. That's just bound to happen, and I really hope that nobody takes that personally. Me, I only generally respond to posts where I'm being addressed or if I really feel like I have something to add, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's has nothing to do with a clique at all.

Like SallyLizzie said: you can't be best friends with everyone. In fact, in a thread this size, that'd be tough! But you can be friendly!
              Maybe not, but as a newbie you feel there are 'cliques'. Lets not forget some people can't go on MSN or anything and if you have to use that to become real cool friends with somebody it can be difficult for some people, thus they feel left out.

Comment

This is now the last post of the Torri/Weir central. I am going to close this thread, and the discussion thread. Shortly two new threads will be put out. These threads do have specific rules attached to them.

once this thread is closed, i will place a link to it in the first post of the new thread, so that this thread is always accessible to its members.

I'm well aware that we have deeper issues to deal with. Dealing with those issues will take time and effort, on the part of everyone here. This 'fresh start' will hopefully be the first step in creating a fun place for all Torri and Weir fans to play
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X