Rodney McKay/John Sheppard Slash/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kady
    Also i found it somehow slashy in, "Hide and Seek" when Shepy-babes throws mackay off the balcony then later grins about shooting him!! is that weird? anyone?
    Werid but true.

But I think it was Rising when it started; I rewatched it recently and the way Rodney looks down at John sitting all laid out in that chair, you could just feel the contempt love. And then John tosses that coin "do I go with the mad scientist Rodney or do I stay on Earth"...

They so want each other!

They're made for each other.

Comment

Originally posted by ladysarah
      I know, I was reading a story with Teyla in it the other day and I was like, dude, she's not that girly, really. Please, make it stop.
      I agree, make it stop please. When I first got into SGA fandom, I had read so many 'girly' Teyla fics that I felt like I was watching the wrong show and wondered if Teyla was depicted as a girly-girl in those episodes that I hadn't seen yet. After seeing all the episodes, I was pleased to find out that the Teyla on screen was indeed different from the Teyla in many of those fan fics. In fact, if Teyla were like the fanfic version, I would have zero interest in her because she would be too like a romance novel heroine for my taste. This is not meant as a put down of romance novel heroines, however, there is a very rigid formula for writing them and as a result, they rarely stand out.

Originally posted by Willow'sCat
      Hate hate hate that! Beckett gets it the worse in slash fics I find; but Rodney comes a close second in some McKay/Sheppard ones, not sure if it is just bad writing and lack of understanding the character, Mary Sue'in *which is just eeK! worthy* or deliberate because they don't like Rodney I mean it does happens with John but not to the same extent but yes I have read some with a 'fem' John in the past.
      I agee, poor Beckett gets absolutely wussified in slash and unfortunately, he also gets wussified in het fic. For some reason, too many fic writers zero in on his compassion and forget that he's also a strong personality. There's no way that Carson, in character, would put up with some of the foolishness and abuse I see him subjected to in fanfic.

As I said I don't mind romance in my fics but why that should mean one has to be 'fem' is beyond me. Seems like a very het way of looking at the world, maybe they need to read some 'real' slash by homosexual writers. I think they should visit Whispered words I can't direct link as it is not a PG site, Google it!...but in the links section they have some really interesting links to articles and slash related items and writers resources.
      I also don't mind bit of romance in my fics as long as the characters are kept in character. I call the appalling tendency to 'fem' (good term) one half of a ship the 'romance novel' tendency because the 'femmed' character is often interchangeable with every other 'femmed' character just as romance novel heriones often are.

I wish I could remember what it was called, but there was a site I found where a gay guy answers questions by slash writers, he was very informative and although it was sex related *a lot* he also talked about relationships... can't find it, not that I could have directly linked to it anyway. He did say, in his experience that most gay guys don't like to get fluffy toys or flowers! Something about gay guys not being women!
      I hope you can track down that site because I would love to read this guy's views.
      sigpic
      Sig by Luciana

Comment

Hate hate hate that! Beckett gets it the worse in slash fics I find
        The best Beckett I've read in any fic has been Koschka's. It's a wickedly funny, no nonsense Beckett that is Beckett at his best. Koschka doesn't slash him, tho', just Rodney and John. And she doesn't fem either of them, thank goodness.

I wish I could remember what it was called, but there was a site I found where a gay guy answers questions by slash writers, he was very informative and although it was sex related *a lot* he also talked about relationships
        Are you referring to that Minotaur guy? I only remember him talking about the sex, but I haven't read his site in a few years so maybe he added more.
        I just checked--his page is still up. Google Minotaur, gay, and sex, and he's one of the first three.

Comment

Originally posted by smushybird
          The best Beckett I've read in any fic has been Koschka's. It's a wickedly funny, no nonsense Beckett that is Beckett at his best. Koschka doesn't slash him, tho', just Rodney and John. And she doesn't fem either of them, thank goodness.
          I have heard of her/him but not read any so I should?
          Are you referring to that Minotaur guy? I only remember him talking about the sex, but I haven't read his site in a few years so maybe he added more.
          I just checked--his page is still up. Google Minotaur, gay, and sex, and he's one of the first three.
          That's the one! I did say *a lot* with the sex talk... In his defense not that he needs one; but he only answers their questions, so if the questions are all about sex.

Lol! Trust you to know.

Comment

Thanks for the Koschka fic rec.

I googled the name and have been reading that author's work all evening. Very funny.
            Love how he/she writes the characters of McKay and Sheppard.

So far haven't come across anything Slashy but it is still Excellent stuff.
            sigpic
            Sig by the Multi Talented KASS. : )

Comment

I have heard of her/him but not read any so I should?
              That's the one! I did say *a lot* with the sex talk... In his defense not that he needs one; but he only answers their questions, so if the questions are all about sex.

Lol! Trust you to know.
              Hey, I don't know everything about slash online...yet. You just happened to remark on one thing I remember reading. Really, really remember...really well... I think it's interesting to hear a gay man's view of slashfic. I always wonder if gay guys think it's so weird that all these women should be so into guys who are into guys.

Koschka's fic is the funniest SGA fic I've read. She writes mostly gen fic, but focusing primarily on the friendship between Rodney and John, and it's bitingly funny and plenty angsty, too. She wrote a pre-slash that was very realistic, I thought, and romantic, and she has collab'ed with another writer named liketheriver to write some slashy stuff. I thought all of it was excellent, really the best SGA fic out there, which is why she's won so many fan fic awards for it. And her Beckett is great and her Zelenka is just hilarious and adorable. Even her Liz amuses me, and Liz is my least favorite character.
              She really has the characters down. I think if they ever added a female writer to the team at SGA, they should try to hire Koschka. She writes McKay/Sheppard banter better than the writers currently working for the show.

But I think it was Rising when it started; I rewatched it recently and the way Rodney looks down at John sitting all laid out in that chair, you could just feel the contempt love.
              Oh my cut and paste didn't work, showing the way you had contempt scratched out--I just was rotfl at the way you wrote that. And I love the cap of John in the chair and Rodney looking down at him. Yummy.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarym1
                Thanks for the Koschka fic rec.

I googled the name and have been reading that author's work all evening. Very funny.
                Love how he/she writes the characters of McKay and Sheppard.

So far haven't come across anything Slashy but it is still Excellent stuff.
                I think all her slashy stuff may be listed under "likethekoschka" --she collaborated with liketheriver and I think they used that name to post on fan fic net. I like the way they alternate between Rodney's voice and Shep's.

She did write one preslash fic on her own that is sooooo sweet and cuddly. I can't off-hand remember the title. She did it so subtly, the change from friendship to realization of romantic and erotic feelings, I was really impressed.

Comment

The Whispered Words site is a treasure trove of slash fan fic - thanks for the link. And, Minotaur's site is rather comprehensive, isn't it?

I just read one of Koschka's fics and this author really knows Rodney and John's characters well. Thanks for the rec. Good stuff.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Luciana

Comment

I think all her slashy stuff may be listed under "likethekoschka" --she collaborated with liketheriver and I think they used that name to post on fan fic net. I like the way they alternate between Rodney's voice and Shep's.
                    I don't mind good gen fics, not my fave kind but if the characterisations are good I will read, in fact that is probably why I know the name but can't place the fics. I do look at what is in gen on site but not always go so far as to read them.
                    She did write one preslash fic on her own that is sooooo sweet and cuddly. I can't off-hand remember the title. She did it so subtly, the change from friendship to realization of romantic and erotic feelings, I was really impressed.
                    Well I will just have to check them all out then. Thanks for the rec.
                    Originally posted by maxbo
                    Minotaur's site is rather comprehensive, isn't it?
                    Yes *comprehensive*

Comment

I started reading "The Geek's Field Guide to Arachnids" um, the first person (thoughts) takes a little getting use to, not the style I usually read. The switching from one to the other is a little confusing for me, well it was 10 pm when I started reading it so that might be why but I am liking it. I also found them listed on LJ, interesting comments...

Anyway thanks for the rec smushybird.

Comment

I started reading "The Geek's Field Guide to Arachnids" um, the first person (thoughts) takes a little getting use to, not the style I usually read. The switching from one to the other is a little confusing for me, well it was 10 pm when I started reading it so that might be why but I am liking it. I also found them listed on LJ, interesting comments...

Anyway thanks for the rec smushybird.
                        You're very welcome! I didn't know they were listed on LJ either. How do you find them there? I am not familiar with how LJ works.

Comment

You're very welcome! I didn't know they were listed on LJ either. How do you find them there? I am not familiar with how LJ works.

There is a newsletter which links all the new fanfiction in LJ, it’s called sga_newsletter

I believe that would be livejournal.com/community/sga_newsletter (if this is wrong, let me know).

And the majority of those stories linked are McShep (because it is the most popular pairing of all, one pairing to rule them all!). They even have an archive of stories listed in the memories section.

Very handy, it also links meta, conversations and pretty much every other pairing available.
                          ----
                          There is something extraordinarily delightful in getting intensely
                          serious about something intrinsically silly.

Comment

Originally posted by ladysarah
                            There is a newsletter which links all the new fanfiction in LJ, it’s called sga_newsletter

I believe that would be livejournal.com/community/sga_newsletter (if this is wrong, let me know).

And the majority of those stories linked are McShep (because it is the most popular pairing of all, one pairing to rule them all!). They even have an archive of stories listed in the memories section.

Very handy, it also links meta, conversations and pretty much every other pairing available.
                            Thanks, that's good to know because I always get lost when I try to navigate LJ and I couldn't remember the fanfic link. And, you're right about the abundance of McKay/Sheppard fic. In fact, that was my first indication of how popular those two are, especially together - both in platonic friendship and in slash.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Luciana

Comment

Well I just put the name in the user-name search... sometimes what you want pops up sometimes people have too many different names you can never find them so using the http://livejournal.com/community/sga_newsletter might be the way to go for other writers... not used it myself but I think I will now!

Comment

There's a few McShep communities. I'd post links, but we can't post links to NC-17 stuff.

You can search mckay/sheppard under interests. There's also a ship recs community that recommends fic for a bunch of pairings including McShep.

Comment

Working...
                                X