Rodney McKay/Elizabeth Weir Discussion/Ship/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MurdocsAngel
    McWeir is just an easy way to type something, like GW or ff.net, so you're not taking up all your time with McKay/Weir.

I don't think it detracts at all from serious discussion, unless you allow it to. If you want to be serious, then the tone of your message will be serious, whether you use McWeir or McKay/Weir.

Now, we are already calling ourselves the McWeirites...well I'm calling you the McWeirites, but let's not get into semantics here...I think that's proof enough that we're intent on world domination.

As to the other shortenings...some of them are akward, more so than typing the full names, so it rather defeats the purpose of shorthand, wouldn't you say?
    I also like McWeir...it's really simple to type out and much easier to decipher than some of the pairing names out there! I mean, I've come across Shep-eyla (shep/teyla) Weckett(weir/beckett) to name a few. McWeir just sounds right, IMO
    Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
    :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Trippin'
      I also like McWeir...it's really simple to type out and much easier to decipher than some of the pairing names out there! I mean, I've come across Shep-eyla (shep/teyla) Weckett(weir/beckett) to name a few. McWeir just sounds right, IMO
      Weckett? ick. I thought that pairing might have been saved from the tragedy...
      McShep, McWeir and Sheyla sound okay to me. Shweir doesn't work...
      I think Shepmagan works better than Sheyla though, since it sounds like it could happen - some Athosian surname tradition or something - has a clan feeling. But most don't work.
      Last edited by Purpleyin; 24 April 2005, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I've come across Weckett(weir/beckett)
        Hmm, I'd have gone with Beir myself

Comment

Originally posted by in circles
          Hmm, I'd have gone with Beir myself

Yeah, but that could be either Bates or Beckett w/Weir. Purpleyin, I begin to understand your concerns

Comment

Yeah, but that could be either Bates or Beckett w/Weir. Purpleyin, I begin to understand your concerns
            Well I wasn't so much concerned at mistaking ships, more that the combinations are getting farcical. It was maybe okay when it was new and a few had it jokingly but now it's gone far beyond that. It's no longer just something we see on ff.net summaries - it migrated to here too! And I'm not really liking the results of using it for other ships. It's grating on me to hear some of them and it detracts from the whole idea too. I don't find it so fun anymore.
            Last edited by Purpleyin; 24 April 2005, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MurdocsAngel
              McWeir is just an easy way to type something, like GW or ff.net, so you're not taking up all your time with McKay/Weir.

I don't think it detracts at all from serious discussion, unless you allow it to. If you want to be serious, then the tone of your message will be serious, whether you use McWeir or McKay/Weir.
              I agree with MA.

As for the site name, I still like the idea of Doctor, Doctor!, though it would make an awkward .com. (Well, maybe dr2.com...) The problem with mckayweir.com or weirmckay.com is that, if one is chosen, some folks will invariably try and fail to find it with the other character name first. I don't really think that matters too much, though, since a determined fan would probably try both.
              Don't say "ka" until you've tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fanwoman
                I agree with MA.

As for the site name, I still like the idea of Doctor, Doctor!, though it would make an awkward .com. (Well, maybe dr2.com...) The problem with mckayweir.com or weirmckay.com is that, if one is chosen, some folks will invariably try and fail to find it with the other character name first. I don't really think that matters too much, though, since a determined fan would probably try both.
                I was thinking of that. Maybe Mcweir.com isn't such a bad idea after all? I really need input from everyone on this. Yet another thing i'll put in the next update when it happens.

Comment

McWeir is nice and simple and has a nice ring...like McShep, but heh, that still reminds me a a burger. Actually, come to think of it any shorting with Mc...ie. McGrodin, McFord, McShep etc, etc....makes me think of a big mac *laughs* strange considering how I hate maccys etc. Strange how, McWeir for me doesn't sound like a name for a burger. Does this make sense?

Why not go with McWeir.com it has a nice ring to it. *Thumbs up* from me.

Mand

British-Indian and proud.

Comment

Aaaahh! Just saw a banner for McShWeir! I see shippy moments for Mckay/Weir and Weir/Shep but not really Shep/Mckay....

Unless this McShWeir ship is more concerned with the whole love traingle thing...I can see lots of good angsty McWeir ship coming out of that. I've already read lots of good fanfic on that subject too, as you fantastic writers on this thread already know

Comment

Aaaahh! Just saw a banner for McShWeir! I see shippy moments for Mckay/Weir and Weir/Shep but not really Shep/Mckay....

Unless this McShWeir ship is more concerned with the whole love traingle thing...I can see lots of good angsty McWeir ship coming out of that. I've already read lots of good fanfic on that subject too, as you fantastic writers on this thread already know
                      Was that Coffeegirl's sig? I think McShWeir was more jokey, but there are those who like an OT3 or love triangle - I certainly do. Angst is good and the occasional everyone loves everyone story is cool too. Fic is fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Fanwoman
                        I agree with MA.

Personally, I like McWeir. It's simple, obvious, and easier than McKay/Weir--both to type and speak (my hubby knows who I'm talking about when I say McWeir).

As for your concern that people will get confused with Weirmckay or Mckayweir, I think alot of people will be confused by McWeir just as easily. Outside of gateworld, there are probably a few places that use McWeir, but not all. Somebody who doesn't know about McWeir would never think to type it in. But It's a small point, because as you said, a detemined fan would find a way.

As for the whole melding overload... I think the popular ones will stay, and the unpopular ones will fade away. If you like one... use it. If you don't... then don't. I like Sheyla and McWeir, but I don't use any of the other ones.
                        It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
                          Was that Coffeegirl's sig? I think McShWeir was more jokey, but there are those who like an OT3 or love triangle - I certainly do. Angst is good and the occasional everyone loves everyone story is cool too. Fic is fun.
                          Yeah, I think it was hers. It IS pretty funny, but it can be hard to tell if people are being silly or not. I, being silly myself, don't mind It just cracked me up because, here we were on this thread, talking about all the pairing names and then I saw hers and almost lost it. Think I need a nap....

Comment

Originally posted by aaobuttons

As for the whole melding overload... I think the popular ones will stay, and the unpopular ones will fade away. If you like one... use it. If you don't... then don't. I like Sheyla and McWeir, but I don't use any of the other ones.
                            Here's to Weckett and other names like that fading into obscurity.
                            Now if only all trace of them could be wiped from existence...

Comment

Originally posted by aaobuttons
                              Um, I'm a bit confused as to what is considered "bad". I know we arn't supposed to talk about downloading episodes from the internet, but I didn't think that applied to physical copies. Like borrowing/trading tapes or DVD's. I'm pretty sure US copyright laws state that they can't be replayed in a public forum, but private use is ok. So downloads that are accessable to everyone would be public, but borrowing/trading would be private? Unless we're just talking about a gateworld rule of nothing at all, then sorry I brought it up (wants to follow rules!).
                              Well, I'm pretty sure downloading TV episodes here in the US is illegal, but I have no idea if copying a VHS or DVD legitimate episode (bought, not downloaded) and sending it to a buddy is. Copying and selling it certainly is. I'm not sure if Hans copied a legimate DVD in the UK and mailed it to me in the US where it isn't available yet if that would also be illegal. And I'm pretty confident that playing an Atlantis ep, even a legitimate one, to a large audience is also illegal.

Any lawyers lurking here?

My personal attitude toward all of this is how I deal with anime fansubbing. See, anime is first released in Japan and it takes forever to get to the US. Often during this time some fans in Japan will get together and copy the episodes, create English subtitles, and distribute them for free via the internet, etc. Surprisingly, anime companies have been very lenient toward this. The idea is that as soon as the series becomes available for sale in the US you should get rid of the fansub and buy a copy. So that's sort of how I treat Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                                Well, I'm pretty sure downloading TV episodes here in the US is illegal, but I have no idea if copying a VHS or DVD legitimate episode (bought, not downloaded) and sending it to a buddy is. Copying and selling it certainly is. I'm not sure if Hans copied a legimate DVD in the UK and mailed it to me in the US where it isn't available yet if that would also be illegal. And I'm pretty confident that playing an Atlantis ep, even a legitimate one, to a large audience is also illegal.
                                I think you have the idea down. I know that if you have a copy taped from TV and lend it to a friend it is perfectly legal. Plus, it won't be shown to a large audience or copied and sold. Anyways, I heard that Atlantis season 1 is going into syndication come September but it is always essential to have one's own copy I wish they would put out the US boxed set before SGA 2 started, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X