Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all Welcome Drwho'srose!

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
    Oh yay, now I'm massively confused. What's the difference between the character (fluffy?) and factual files? Character is more "readable" with family, past, etc, while factual has an outline of facts from each episode? Would the factual files be paraphrasing or actual transcript text?
    I understand the footnote idea for the character files I think, it would be something like:
    "Dr. Weir is able to translate both spoken and written Ancient (1,2)"

and at the end:
    1)Hide and Seek
    2)The Gift

right? That would certainly make the file less wordy. And you could click on the episode title to take you to the factual files?
    I see the factual files being episode by episode and purely plain facts. Having them quote the source statements would be useful too (for flashbacks or people wanting to get wording right). And the footnoting would make it easier mybe quoting them as 1x01 1x02 etc so you can tell which ones by season and number, but otherwise follow link to names and then the fact files.

Comment

I'm just making a suggestion here, so feel free to say no, but if you're going to make it like a personel file from the SGC, I'd be more than happy to create some sort of background image that would make the words look like they're in an actual typed up file of some kind. The logistics of word placement might take a little tweaking, but I'd be happy to work with whoever's doing the character files.

Sheppard: Why does it smell like I'm on vacation?
      McKay: (proudly) Could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
      Sheppard: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
      McKay: Right, like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

Comment

Originally posted by Porthos1013
        I'm just making a suggestion here, so feel free to say no, but if you're going to make it like a personel file from the SGC, I'd be more than happy to create some sort of background image that would make the words look like they're in an actual typed up file of some kind. The logistics of word placement might take a little tweaking, but I'd be happy to work with whoever's doing the character files.
        Well it depends if the website will be using scaled fonts - in which case file like backgrounds would also need too be relatively spaced... no clue quite how to do that. something involving css-position and/or php.

Comment

Just a reminder for anyone interested, only one day left to signup for the Weir ficathon
          http://www.livejournal.com/community/weirfans/457.html

Signup by June 21st, assigments given out by June 25th and entries back by July 15th.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
            Just a reminder for anyone interested, only one day left to signup for the Weir ficathon

Signup by June 21st, assigments given out by June 25th and entries back by July 15th.
            Ack! Hans, you HAD to make me sign up for this, like dangling the carrot in front of the horse...repeatedly! I tried to resist, because I have enough ideas of my own to write, but I had to give in, it was too tempting! I've only written McWeir stuff so far, so I'm hoping this will force me to branch out a little. <sigh> Oh, well, I just hope whatever I end up writing doesn't turn into a big bomb that will stink up your whole ficathon. I'd feel bad about that.

Sheppard: Why does it smell like I'm on vacation?
            McKay: (proudly) Could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
            Sheppard: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
            McKay: Right, like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

Comment

Ack! Hans, you HAD to make me sign up for this, like dangling the carrot in front of the horse...repeatedly! I tried to resist, because I have enough ideas of my own to write, but I had to give in, it was too tempting! I've only written McWeir stuff so far, so I'm hoping this will force me to branch out a little. <sigh> Oh, well, I just hope whatever I end up writing doesn't turn into a big bomb that will stink up your whole ficathon. I'd feel bad about that.
              Well you know several requests coincide with unfinished stories of mine... but I'm going to assign stuff to everyone else first though and any unclaimed entries I'll take my pick of before offering them up as seconds (yes, some people said they'd write 2 or 3 stories!). I figure even if I have nearly finished ones that are the same it'd be better if others write stories on them too if people choose to, and if not then I'll just be filling a gap for a request that didn't get used first time round.

And one of yours is something I've been working on last month (didn't manage to finish it sadly, got stuck) so if no one else wants it I'll be writing it. I'm so happy take up for this has been good, got at least 10 people, approaching 15 mark now. Pretty decent for ficathons.

Comment

I see the factual files being episode by episode and purely plain facts. Having them quote the source statements would be useful too (for flashbacks or people wanting to get wording right). And the footnoting would make it easier mybe quoting them as 1x01 1x02 etc so you can tell which ones by season and number, but otherwise follow link to names and then the fact files.
                ..okay, I think I understand. It would be much easier to write the factual, episode files first and then expand and make it all pretty for the character files. But first I must finish up the glossary (this week I swear) and the FAQ (hopefully this week too!)
                Sounds good to me, and it would add a nice touch. I'm of the opinion that once I'm done typing them up anyone is free to tweak with the text, visuals, etc. Same goes with the glossary and FAQ.

Now if we can just figure out a site design...

Comment

Where can I see what's been requested and with what details? Before I bravely leap into the gaping jaws of a fic, I want to know what'll be expected of me first
                  sigpic
                  http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Now if we can just figure out a site design...
                    I'm working on it... Trying to get the resolution issues figured out firmly before commiting to a design though - I believe it's pretty important that it displays equally well on 800by600 as it will on higher resolutions. It takes time but it should be worth it for people.
                    Originally posted by Cory Holmes
                    Where can I see what's been requested and with what details? Before I bravely leap into the gaping jaws of a fic, I want to know what'll be expected of me first
                    Well the comments are screened so requests are surprises, but I can say there are requests for Grodin/Weir, Shep/Weir, McKay/Weir, Teyla/Weir (ship and friendship for the last three), Earth, diplomacy, AU, chess, childhoods, prison, end of the world, tough decisions, tokra - there are so many different things.

Main point if you decide to enter would be to be very clear what pairings you like/are willing to write and what types of stories you would do, if you want to be challenged etc. And you'll get 2 requests to choose from, requests I'll try to match to what you said you'd right as closely as possible. also since most are only writing one thing, if you really can't do either request you'll get a chance to ask for 2 more options - that way no one should get stuck with anything they don't wish to write.

Comment

First of all Welcome Drwho'srose!
                      Thanks for the loverly Welcome Purleyin

I still think it wont happen because the basis of their relationship is professional and you can't mess with that. Of course my main objection is that I don't want anyone sniffing around him . "Duet" aside.

Oh! you people read the fic/books?, I can't stand them. I like to see my StarGate not read about it but I am like that we all shows including Buffy which I loved. I like reading , just not T.V shows.

Comment

And....

Happy Belated Birthday, aaobuttons!

Thanks a bunch!

And for the site, I'm not good with any graphics sort of things or formatting, but I am good at fact gathering and typing up stuff, so if you need any help with anything on that front, please let me know!
                        It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                          Thanks for the loverly Welcome Purleyin

I still think it wont happen because the basis of their relationship is professional and you can't mess with that. Of course my main objection is that I don't want anyone sniffing around him . "Duet" aside.

Oh! you people read the fic/books?, I can't stand them. I like to see my StarGate not read about it but I am like that we all shows including Buffy which I loved. I like reading , just not T.V shows.
                          Well even if you don't think it'll happen we're always happy to have discussion on it and of course we appreciate their friendship too.

And yep, fic is usually big part of shipping. If it's not on the show (for the actual romance ship) then fic and imagination is all we have. That said we like to analyse the episodes too, is alot of fun, regardless of if you're looking for friendship or for more to it. Of course I think "Duet" will be very interesting to analyse when it finally airs.

Comment

Originally posted by aaobuttons

Thanks a bunch!

And for the site, I'm not good with any graphics sort of things or formatting, but I am good at fact gathering and typing up stuff, so if you need any help with anything on that front, please let me know!
                            Well on stuff like that there's the reviews, if you have any episodes, or you could help on the fact files. Or there's something I'm going to mention in the update that you might like...
                            Last edited by Purpleyin; 21 June 2005, 04:42 AM.

Comment

I have finally come out of hiding! I think most of you that know of me knew I would end up here eventually. But anyway, this is a little late, but I picked up the Stargate SG: 1 magazine, and in it David Hewlett talked about Duet. Excerpt from the magazine:

Spoiler:
                              Slated to be the show's comic episode of the season, Duet plays up to McKay's idiosyncrasies. "My life becomes sort of disrupted," Hewlett explains. "I've got these two people fighting for control of my body. Every time I fall asleep she keeps wandering off and going for runs and things - with my body! And she's trying to give me tips on dating and how one should act with women." He chuckles. "I'm kissing everybody in this show. There's nobody I don't kiss. I don't know what happened, but Martin Gero has fallen in love and started writing lots of kissy episodes. It's a non-stop cavalcade of kisses!"

Makes you wonder...

Comment

Originally posted by LittleKnux2008
                                I have finally come out of hiding! I think most of you that know of me knew I would end up here eventually. But anyway, this is a little late, but I picked up the Stargate SG: 1 magazine, and in it David Hewlett talked about Duet. Excerpt from the magazine:

Spoiler:
                                Slated to be the show's comic episode of the season, Duet plays up to McKay's idiosyncrasies. "My life becomes sort of disrupted," Hewlett explains. "I've got these two people fighting for control of my body. Every time I fall asleep she keeps wandering off and going for runs and things - with my body! And she's trying to give me tips on dating and how one should act with women." He chuckles. "I'm kissing everybody in this show. There's nobody I don't kiss. I don't know what happened, but Martin Gero has fallen in love and started writing lots of kissy episodes. It's a non-stop cavalcade of kisses!"

Makes you wonder...
                                Squee!Squeee. Sorry, I think I will love and adore this episode. It sounds even better than LFP was! I'm grinning now.

Oh and welcome to the thread (weren't you here before or am I imagining it?)

Comment

Working...
                                X