Rodney McKay/Elizabeth Weir Discussion/Ship/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aaobuttons
    Question for all you McWeir Shippers... If they did end up pairing Sheppard and Weir together, would you be mad? Would you hate the pairing? Or would you give it a chance?
    I'd be unhappy but I'd put up with it. Unlike some it'd make it a whole lot nicer for me to have it SWAMA (the McKay angst thing). Of course I'd be rooting for Elizabeth and John to end badly and then Elizabeth and Rodney to have a chance. Personally I haven't liked the dramatic looks etc for S/W so far - it feels OTT to me , in other words it's forced. I know others love it but I just ain't seeing it - all I see are leaders who share responsibility, clash occasionally and by now are friends. I just don't see enough depth for a lasting relationship and I don't think the said chemistry (which seems to stem from their disagreements) being enough to keep something going, in fact that doesn't seem like a good basis for a relationship to me.

If it's made canon them good for all those who enjoy it, I'll just have to hope it's done well if it is (not overtaking the stories but adding to them) and done in a way that I can deal with (SWAMA or at least not too much screentime if not.) Just S/W in the little things so others can ignore it if they wish because not everyone is a shipper let alone a S/W shipper specifically.
    Last edited by Purpleyin; 19 June 2005, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen, I present undeniable proof that McWeir is about to become canon:

I found it here.

Sheppard: Why does it smell like I'm on vacation?
      McKay: (proudly) Could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
      Sheppard: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
      McKay: Right, like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

Comment

Question for all you McWeir Shippers... If they did end up pairing Sheppard and Weir together, would you be mad? Would you hate the pairing? Or would you give it a chance?
        I'm not going to lie to you; I'd be very disappointed. First it would mean no McKay/Weir ship, at least for the time being (but if S/W happens I'm still going with AU and the hope that Rodney and Elizabeth get together later). Worse, it could mean less fun interactions between those two (even no flirty banter? Argh! )

Second, I'd be upset because I have zero interest in S/W, even if I wasn't a M/W shipper. I completely agree with the concerns posted earlier; I see the sparks from Shep and Elizabeth being mainly conflict and not romantic. I'm still cheesed off about the lack of resolution to Hot Zone. I just don't see how they could have feelings for each other when they have some major trust issues. And I'm also completely opposed to the concept of "butting heads but then magically falling in love" scenario. Too contrived.

S/W wouldn't completely ruin the show for me unless it was overdone or if they decided to canonize SWAMA. I think that should stay fanon (and I like it as fanon) because if it became canon SGA will likely become more soap opera and less scifi. And I'm being generous; a couple of months ago I was completely opposed to the mere idea of SWAMA. At least if it's S/W alone I can always change the channel, but I hate the idea of missing any SGA because of the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
          I think if you point out it has spoilers then you'd be okay and it'd be possible to have them done so you could highlight spoilery stuff. Also I think Cory suggestion of SGC personnel files is good but we'd still need to point out which episode things were from - maybe you could have the files and then put spoilery stuff under Recent Info? And maybe you could leave out the episodes in the main files but still have a concise listing episode by episode for what we find out - if it's okay to do that. Figure it shouldn't be too difficult if several people end up organising the character files - that way maybe updates could come after every episode?
          I think the ideal file is something easy to read, and therefore should be divided into sections (family, health, history, personality, etc) rather than episode. A SGC type file would be interesting and I may go with that. In order to show which episode the info is from I was planning on adding the episode name in parentheses after the info. For example,

"Dr. Weir is able to translate both spoken and written Ancient (Hide and Seek, The Gift)"

Now I just need the motivation. Glossary first, then wrap up the FAQ, and then on to the character files! I'm going to rely on people here to help read them and make sure they're accurate.
          Of course, I keep on getting distracted with GIMP. Lovely thing; I've got the cutting down and have been playing with layers. Just discovered gradients, dodging, and burning too, that's fun! Still don't really know how to make great text though...

Oh, and love all of the Rodney/Elizabeth Bday bunnies! Maybe I'll start writing again...

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
            I think the ideal file is something easy to read, and therefore should be divided into sections (family, health, history, personality, etc) rather than episode. A SGC type file would be interesting and I may go with that. In order to show which episode the info is from I was planning on adding the episode name in parentheses after the info. For example,

"Dr. Weir is able to translate both spoken and written Ancient (Hide and Seek, The Gift)"

Now I just need the motivation. Glossary first, then wrap up the FAQ, and then on to the character files! I'm going to rely on people here to help read them and make sure they're accurate.
            Of course, I keep on getting distracted with GIMP. Lovely thing; I've got the cutting down and have been playing with layers. Just discovered gradients, dodging, and burning too, that's fun! Still don't really know how to make great text though...

Oh, and love all of the Rodney/Elizabeth Bday bunnies! Maybe I'll start writing again...
            Sounds good. We could always have facts files too, as well as character files - the fact files for people looking for specific things for fic, hence episode by episode and easy to avoid s2 stuff by just not reading that far down. Would this be okay or does anyone think it's pointless?

As for GIMP and text - you can do interestings with duplicating the text layer and playing with it and the effects. I did so for that Baal sig I had. Also using grow and shrink is helpful though I've not quite got that whole white border around black text thing working. Think it was somewhere on the LJ, quite a useful place though I've yet to dig into it and discover all the secrets. The comicify effect is interesting though not quite good enough for what I was wanting it for...

http://www.livejournal.com/community/gimp_users/

Comment

Anyone around who's interested in betareading my very short Kolya/Weir + M/W story? It's a song fic and it's short and twisted and pretty much finished.

EDIT: The OOC challenge

Okay, I seem to be getting bunnies today and got one to offload as a challenge.

It's inspired by the song Almost Forgot Myself by Doves
              Lyrics here http://www.modernrocklyrics.com/D/do...mecities.php#3

The challenge is to write a fic where one of them acts a little out of character from canon. Technically alot of ship fic is out of canon but this is for a fic that would be canon apart from that touch of OOC. How much is up to you, could be Rodney being a little more caring than anyone expects him, even for Elizabeth or it could be very much OOC - the aim being that the characters in the fic are doing something out of the ordinary in relation to what we see on showand we'll know they are.

An optional extra would be for the character(s) to realise they were acting differently, like they 'almost forgot themselves'. Hope I've explained well enough and that there are interesting places to go with it.
              Last edited by Purpleyin; 19 June 2005, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Love the mirroring and maybe on the other thing, it's because she's not looking for that/doesn't care?

I've got about 3 bunnies for this... all came from thinknig on the matter. Is it okay if I discuss this in bunnies?
                Spoiler:

I figured if Rodney hadn't known he'd have looked it up on the system. My ideas where that maybe Shep got Grodin to look it up (Grodin does the computer systems well so makes sense) and have Grodin PoV for how McKay reacts that Shep wanted to know...
                Also it'd be an interesting dilemma for regardles of how Rodney knows, what he'd do and how he'd fell if Shep asks him to tell him? Or asks him to ifnd out (not knowing Rodney already knows).
                I also figured Rodney could have had a gift or surprise planned but that plans were ruined by the events of the day. After all it looked early in the day when Shep was giving his gift. I wanted to do a fic where Rodney went on to give her her surprise anyway... including a balcony scene.

spoiler]

I'm working on it! (rather slowely since I took about a month break) but it's part 3 of my BIS set up. Rodney's gift is WAY cooler than John's. It does include a balcony scene... in fact alot of it takes place on the balcony.... and maybe possibly Elizabeth's bed.
                It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

I'm working on it! (rather slowely since I took about a month break) but it's part 3 of my BIS set up. Rodney's gift is WAY cooler than John's. It does include a balcony scene... in fact alot of it takes place on the balcony.... and maybe possibly Elizabeth's bed.
                  Yay! Can't wait to read it!

Sheppard: Why does it smell like I'm on vacation?
                  McKay: (proudly) Could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
                  Sheppard: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
                  McKay: Right, like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

Comment

Originally posted by Porthos1013
                    Yay! Can't wait to read it!

Hehe, I knew that "bed" part would get your attention! But it's not what you think... really...at least I think it's not what you think...unless you're reading my mind...then it is what you think, but we'd have bigger issues then!

Comment

Hmm, I can handle McKay/Weir, I liked Weir when she was in SG-1. I like this Weir too but she hasn't had a real chance yet to open (the character) up, so I am not sure what her personality other then professional, is like. Rodney I am all over, hehe, love him, poor Rodney *big hug*he is so misunderstood.

I doubt that TPTB will allow any *intimate* relationships to develop, if it didn't happen on SG-1 I doubt it will here. I mean who really in the end doesn't want Sam & Jack together? Not going to happen folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                        Hmm, I can handle McKay/Weir, I liked Weir when she was in SG-1. I like this Weir too but she hasn't had a real chance yet to open (the character) up, so I am not sure what her personality other then professional, is like. Rodney I am all over, hehe, love him, poor Rodney *big hug*he is so misunderstood.

I doubt that TPTB will allow any *intimate* relationships to develop, if it didn't happen on SG-1 I doubt it will here. I mean who really in the end doesn't want Sam & Jack together? Not going to happen folks.

Except the fact that Sam and Jack were Military and Elizabeth and Rodney are Civilians. Big difference on what is allowed.

Comment

Except the fact that Sam and Jack were Military and Elizabeth and Rodney are Civilians. Big difference on what is allowed.
                          There's a difference between "allowed" and "acceptable". John&Liz as canon would stand a very good chance of turning me off the show completely, if only because the writers and producers have conclusivly proven that they can't write inter-character romance that well. The one-shots they seem to handle nicely, but when it's between two main characters, they fall flat on their faces.

Anyone around who's interested in betareading my very short Kolya/Weir + M/W story? It's a song fic and it's short and twisted and pretty much finished.
                          *raises hand* Right here.

Interesting. Though I've never seen a fic where she wants to be with Kolya...,
                          I didn't say that she wanted him by choice. I was thinking more like seeing Kolya make his initial offer ("Be with me or I'll hurt every one of your people), watching Weir going through the thought proccesses of trying to decide what to do and how to do it. I think watching that progression (instead of jumping in right in at the end, where some time has already gone by) could be quite interesting.

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                          In order to show which episode the info is from I was planning on adding the episode name in parentheses after the info. For example,

Another way would to make a footnote at the end of each episodic revelation, with it linking to an episode number and title at the bottom of the file.

Or better yet, have that footnote link to a more fact-based file, and it says in that file the hows and why's about where we learn that particular little tidbit. So have two files, one fluffy and the other factual.
                          sigpic
                          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes
                            I didn't say that she wanted him by choice. I was thinking more like seeing Kolya make his initial offer ("Be with me or I'll hurt every one of your people), watching Weir going through the thought proccesses of trying to decide what to do and how to do it. I think watching that progression (instead of jumping in right in at the end, where some time has already gone by) could be quite interesting.
                            Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that'd be interesting. most scenarious so far involve kidnapping and don't explain the how. There was a longer darkfic with K/W that I want to do, where they don't get saved from genii enslavement; it doesn't necessarily have her decision in because she doesn't really have much of one but will have it developing from that first moment where he chooses to take them.
                            Another way would to make a footnote at the end of each episodic revelation, with it linking to an episode number and title at the bottom of the file.

Or better yet, have that footnote link to a more fact-based file, and it says in that file the hows and why's about where we learn that particular little tidbit. So have two files, one fluffy and the other factual.
                            I quite like that idea, though I don't think having them as separate files would be necessary - can do php links to the episode listing further down, perhaps opening it up in another window, a popup even (more complicated but should be possible with a database - just probably a feature that wouldn't be in at the launch)?

Oh and for those waiting for it, The Puppet Master is finally complete and the author posted it all on ff.net too.

Comment

Sounds good. We could always have facts files too, as well as character files - the fact files for people looking for specific things for fic, hence episode by episode and easy to avoid s2 stuff by just not reading that far down. Would this be okay or does anyone think it's pointless?

I quite like that idea, though I don't think having them as separate files would be necessary - can do php links to the episode listing further down, perhaps opening it up in another window, a popup even (more complicated but should be possible with a database - just probably a feature that wouldn't be in at the launch)?
                              Oh yay, now I'm massively confused. What's the difference between the character (fluffy?) and factual files? Character is more "readable" with family, past, etc, while factual has an outline of facts from each episode? Would the factual files be paraphrasing or actual transcript text?
                              I understand the footnote idea for the character files I think, it would be something like:
                              "Dr. Weir is able to translate both spoken and written Ancient (1,2)"

and at the end:
                              1)Hide and Seek
                              2)The Gift

right? That would certainly make the file less wordy. And you could click on the episode title to take you to the factual files?

Mwahaha! That sounds wonderful and I can't wait to read it!

And while we're on that subject it appears that I forgot something....*bangs head* Must remedy that immediately!!

Oh, and welcome to the thread, Drwho'srose! Always glad to have another voice of shippy support! And I agree; we do know quite a bit about Rodney but not so much about Elizabeth yet. Hopefully the second season will fix that. And I am a bit worried that because TPTB never really solidified the S/J relationship on SG1 they won't do the same on SGA. I'm still torn over wanting M/W canon or keeping it fanon, but the canon side of me hopes that TPTB breaks from tradition here.

Comment

And....

Happy Belated Birthday, aaobuttons!

Comment

Working...
                                X