No announcement yet.

Team Flyboy (thunking, shipping, discussion) - Lorne/Mitchell/Sheppard/O'Neill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the big hug, Brn. Even though it was only a scene, I'll take it!

That's the thing--where the heck did the stupid computer put it? Or the stupid writer? Started to get back into the writing and of course, along comes little WW (why yes, it is after 10:30 here and he was sent to bed 30 minutes ago, late, 'cause he had to clean up his greasy, burned hamburger mess). Knock knock knock... mood/train of thought derailed.

Hiya Bay! Problem is, the doc is not the original one she sent back to me and we don't use the online thing as it gives her laptop fits. I opened the doc she sent me with the mark-ups, made my changes, saved them and--poof! The doc with the new scene is gone. I was hoping to post the next chap early in the week, but this'll set me back a bit, depending on my schedule over the next few days. And, of course, it's a busy one.
    sigpic
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

when you say "open it" do you mean in Word?
      sigpic

Comment

ok saying the toni toni prayer.. I have 2 phones and both are lost.. worse i put them on vib since I was working at the school.. do I cant call myself to find them.. grrrrrr

sigpic

Comment

not one "can you hear me now joke" or I will totally lose it... (as Mr. Brn would say it must be that time...)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bailey1ak View Post
            when you say "open it" do you mean in Word?

I click on the Dowload button and it asks if I want to open or save or cancel. I click open and it pulls up Word and opens the new doc in word. And yet it's nowhere in the Word docs as any sort of file.

Brn! What is it with losing stuff tonight? Good luck, honey! You didn't throw in on the bed or the couch and it bounced off and under, did you? That happens to us a lot. When I say "us", I mean the younger WWs. Mine just gets lost in the covers. Or left in the car. Am sendin cyber chocolate, peanut butter and root beer (my cures, along with a good dose of vodka). Sending some Sheppy goodness to you and Bay!

Thunkers, I am beat. Gotta go to sleep before Mr. WW catches me asleep on the laptop. Just had to spell asleep like three times. See y'all in the a.m.

sigpic
            Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
            Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

nigth WW..one phone found.. not the other"
              Last edited by Brneyestx; 10 November 2011, 07:41 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                Techies! Help, please! I downloaded my doc from my beta (we use hotmail but not the online support--her computer doesn't play well with it). I re-wrote that entire lovely scene, was saving and everything. Closed out the computer yesterday to drag it to the office and now the chap with the re-write is GONE! Can't find it in downloads or anything. I am not pleased ATM. Please tell me I don't have to re-write. It was good!

And if someone wouldn't mind supplying me with "Angry/Scary Warrior Lorne" pics, that would be great. I don't believe I have any of those in my folders.
                Gotchya covered.

sigpic
                Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

sigpic
                  Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

Like that last one Sue...
                    sigpic

Comment

WW,
                      Spoiler:
                      have you tried a search on *.doc... it would come up with a list of any saved word files? You probably have, but if not or if you don't know what I mean... PM me tomorrow and I can send a screen cap of what I'm suggesting.

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Hello Thunkers!

WW, so sorry to hear about your lost chapter. I have had this happen to me too. Here is my understanding of why ... when you open a document from your email program and then save it (with something like Ctrl-S, i.e. not choosing Save As) it goes to the same location your computer opens the document into. This is going to be some kind of local or temporary location for things the computer needs in the short term that it gets rid of once an application or the computer is shut down. So while it looks like you've saved it (which you have!) once you shut down you can't find it - because it saved to a temporary location that no longer exists/is no longer accessible. It's the difference between RAM and hard drive memory. RAM is used by the computer to basically run things - that's why having lots is great and not having much makes your computer sluggish So, as I've now taught myself, as soon as I open a document from email I Save As and choose where I want it to go, which includes renaming it and making sure I've clicked on whatever folders I'm saving it to. Hope that helps ... well, of course it doesn't because having to rewrite anything is always a major downer. Hope the second version comes out as good as if not better than the first.

Brn, hope you found that second phone - I did that once too, and I had my phone on silent. Lucky it turned up eventually!!

Bay - snow!! Mmm, what is that stuff again? I vaguely recall from a long ago ski holiday that it is white and fun to play in

Last edited by ShaViva; 11 November 2011, 01:42 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Bay reminded me that today is a special day (which I knew of course) but one which also has special significance here on our flyboy thread. I made a banner but I'm going to dig through my collection as well and see how many flyboy in dress uniform images I can come up with. I invite you all to do the same, or in some other way that suits you, post pics to reflect what the day means.
                            sigpic

Comment

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
                              Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
                              They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
                              They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
                              Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
                              At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
                              We will remember them.

from "Ode of Remembrance"; originally from Laurence Binyon's poem "For the Fallen"
                              sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X