John Sheppard/Teyla Emmagan Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
    That makes a lot of sense Linda and you pretty much sum up my feelings on it. I really don't agree that once a couple get together that fans loose interest. The relationship still has to evolve even when feelings are admitted. I found the idea that fans only want to see UST a bit outdated, and I'm not sure why JF and probably the ptb seem to think like this as well. Years of UST becomes boring fast and if goes on too long then I loose interest. This happened in JAG and it nearly put me off the show with all the "will they won't they" crap. I like to see growth in a relationship and as I said it doesn't have to suddenly stop when they finally become a couple.

I have no problem with tension and obstacles thrown in, but there has to be some continuity and growth as well. This is why I had such such a problem with Teyla's pregnancy because for me it didn't follow on with how the writers had previously portrayed Teyla and I think this is why a lot (even non shippers) are having a problem with the pregnancy storyline. Comments are that it is boring and uninteresting, and this is because we have no connection to Kanaan as he has been pulled out of a hat to fit the storyline. I know the writers had to incorporate Rachel's pregnancy but they need to stay true to her character as well. They should have introduced Kanaan much ealier in the season to allow us time to connect to him, and therefore made Teyla's "feelings" towards him more believable. Michael would have been a more believable scenario and Teyla's character wouldn't have been compromised as much imo...

I realise we have still had lovely moments between JT in season four, but I think the writers could have given us a lot more if they had Michael as the father. This would have given John and Teyla a lot more to work with, as the implications of Michael experimenting on Teyla could have brought about major angsty scenes, and given the writers a much better opportunity of bringing them closer. They didnt have to go as far as consumating anthing.. but this kind of scenario could have given us a wide range of feeling including hurt, comfort, anger and angst, but instead they took the easy way out, because they have this fixed notion that if JT come together or admitted any feelings then fans will immediately tire of it and loose interest. This really is a very black and white way of looking at things, and really only highlights a lack of imagination on their part. A relationship doesn't have to be all hand holding and lovey dovey scenes. It can be an evolution of feelings. If handled properly it can go through various stages and each stage should bring about new depth to the characters. Sure we can have the tension and the UST and the obstacles, but there also has to be some forward momentum, or fans do loose interest.

A relationship can be drawn out over time with little hints of feelings and changes to the relationship, but years of UST and "will they won't they", or the sudden appearance of other "love" interests just tend to frustate fans and if carried on too for too long ultimately turn fans of. If the writers are going to hint at a particular pairing then they need to be consistant. They cannot give definite hints of a relationship in one episode and almost completely contradict it in the next. This is what tptb seem to think holds fans attention, but they couldn't be more wrong IMO... they don't have to run head long into a full blown relationship and this is what they don't seem to realise. A relationship can be built up over time but you cannot just go off of rediculous tangents and expect to keep fans interested. This is not tension but total frustration. A strong friendship is better imo and a deepening of it, rather than hints of relationships one moment and then total denial the next, have some continunity and build on it.

Feelings can be admitted without entering into a full blown relationship. I don't think that any of us in fact really want that. We just need to know that there are feelings, and they do care about one another.. more than friends, but there are so many more ways of taking a relationship besides years of UST and no resolution, or full blown relationships with them skipping off into the sunset. ... give us all the in between moments. Throw obstacles in their way.. but no stupid love interests... Keep things subtle and in the background, throw in spanners occasionally into the mix to have us on the edge of our seats.. Explore the characters emotions through their relationship but keep it in the background. It only has to be touched on occasionally. A bad mission could cause them to hold each other once they had gotten back to their quarters. We could get to learn more about each of them as we would see them open up more to one another.

There are just so many possibilites but unfortunately the writers don't seem capable of exloring any of them, and intead they throw out the usual years of UST and flit between one pairing and another, and in the end never really allow any of them to show true and realistic emotions. We get the Kanaans and Larrins and unfortunately I don't think this trend is going to stop anytime soon.

ops.. sorry I seem to have rambled on..
    Wow that is some rant! But it is a good one and every now then it is good to get stuff like that off your chest!!

Wedji posted a new chapter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sigs made by EG & Teylafan
    &=AWESOME &Forever
    No SGA fics yet....but ya never know

Comment

Laura. I'll try to read your fic tonight. I'm trying to catch up in 5 pages before making supper.

Originally posted by asgard30 View Post
      Hi ! I'm new. First of all I like to apologize for my english because I'm french and I don't speak well english. I hope it's understandable and I won't say too much stupidity.

I'm a SG1 and SGA fan since the start for both series. I'm a Teylafan and I like the Sheyla.
      I an not accustomed to forum, this is the first time I post but I visit this site and particularly this thread since a long time and I find you are really nice people, fun and talented with your fanart.
      Thus I said to me (?) i would share my love of JT with you if you are ok.
      With this I let you because I don't understand all and the fact it is in english don't simplify things lol !
      Good continuation
      Welcome to the thread Asgard30!!!!

I'm glad you joined and if you have any questions, we will help.

Originally posted by elephantgirl View Post

Welcome to the thread, asgard30!!!

JT Hug for you under the spoiler!
      Spoiler:
      To quote Ronon. "That never gets old."

Originally posted by YappiChick View Post
      All right, I'm posting this in here just in case some of you don't go to the Galleria or missed the request over there. If you have made any MPs since October, please PM me the links. I'm updating the site and want to make sure everyone's work is there.

Thanks!

I don't remember what I posted when.

Comment

Originally posted by gater101 View Post
        Wedjatqi has posted Part Five of Needs!
        YES!!!!! I LOVE THIS FIC

That makes a lot of sense Linda and you pretty much sum up my feelings on it. I really don't agree that once a couple get together that fans loose interest. The relationship still has to evolve even when feelings are admitted. I found the idea that fans only want to see UST a bit outdated, and I'm not sure why JF and probably the ptb seem to think like this as well. Years of UST becomes boring fast and if goes on too long then I loose interest. This happened in JAG and it nearly put me off the show with all the "will they won't they" crap. I like to see growth in a relationship and as I said it doesn't have to suddenly stop when they finally become a couple.

I have no problem with tension and obstacles thrown in, but there has to be some continuity and growth as well. This is why I had such such a problem with Teyla's pregnancy because for me it didn't follow on with how the writers had previously portrayed Teyla and I think this is why a lot (even non shippers) are having a problem with the pregnancy storyline. Comments are that it is boring and uninteresting, and this is because we have no connection to Kanaan as he has been pulled out of a hat to fit the storyline. I know the writers had to incorporate Rachel's pregnancy but they need to stay true to her character as well. They should have introduced Kanaan much ealier in the season to allow us time to connect to him, and therefore made Teyla's "feelings" towards him more believable. Michael would have been a more believable scenario and Teyla's character wouldn't have been compromised as much imo...

I realise we have still had lovely moments between JT in season four, but I think the writers could have given us a lot more if they had Michael as the father. This would have given John and Teyla a lot more to work with, as the implications of Michael experimenting on Teyla could have brought about major angsty scenes, and given the writers a much better opportunity of bringing them closer. They didnt have to go as far as consumating anthing.. but this kind of scenario could have given us a wide range of feeling including hurt, comfort, anger and angst, but instead they took the easy way out, because they have this fixed notion that if JT come together or admitted any feelings then fans will immediately tire of it and loose interest. This really is a very black and white way of looking at things, and really only highlights a lack of imagination on their part. A relationship doesn't have to be all hand holding and lovey dovey scenes. It can be an evolution of feelings. If handled properly it can go through various stages and each stage should bring about new depth to the characters. Sure we can have the tension and the UST and the obstacles, but there also has to be some forward momentum, or fans do loose interest.

A relationship can be drawn out over time with little hints of feelings and changes to the relationship, but years of UST and "will they won't they", or the sudden appearance of other "love" interests just tend to frustate fans and if carried on too for too long ultimately turn fans of. If the writers are going to hint at a particular pairing then they need to be consistant. They cannot give definite hints of a relationship in one episode and almost completely contradict it in the next. This is what tptb seem to think holds fans attention, but they couldn't be more wrong IMO... they don't have to run head long into a full blown relationship and this is what they don't seem to realise. A relationship can be built up over time but you cannot just go off of rediculous tangents and expect to keep fans interested. This is not tension but total frustration. A strong friendship is better imo and a deepening of it, rather than hints of relationships one moment and then total denial the next, have some continunity and build on it.

Feelings can be admitted without entering into a full blown relationship. I don't think that any of us in fact really want that. We just need to know that there are feelings, and they do care about one another.. more than friends, but there are so many more ways of taking a relationship besides years of UST and no resolution, or full blown relationships with them skipping off into the sunset. ... give us all the in between moments. Throw obstacles in their way.. but no stupid love interests... Keep things subtle and in the background, throw in spanners occasionally into the mix to have us on the edge of our seats.. Explore the characters emotions through their relationship but keep it in the background. It only has to be touched on occasionally. A bad mission could cause them to hold each other once they had gotten back to their quarters. We could get to learn more about each of them as we would see them open up more to one another.

There are just so many possibilites but unfortunately the writers don't seem capable of exloring any of them, and intead they throw out the usual years of UST and flit between one pairing and another, and in the end never really allow any of them to show true and realistic emotions. We get the Kanaans and Larrins and unfortunately I don't think this trend is going to stop anytime soon.

WOW that was quite a lot said ... after four seasons of UST I'm game for anything drastic
        Last edited by maffieg; 07 March 2008, 01:54 PM.
        Spoiler:
        Maffieg

Comment

Well i'm glad it made sense...And i agree with what you said...I watched Jag too and i got so very frustrated with it that in the end when they did finally get together.....IN THE VERY LAST EPISODE I MIGHT ADD I was like meh in the end....I kinda lost interest by then.....The UST with no or next to no resolution is an 80's thing.......Nowadays people want more and like you said no one wants them to end up all lovey dovey,it's just not them...

As for Kanaan,this has got to be one of the most unrealistic storylines they've ever come up with....We're expected to believe that Teyla and Kanaan has feelings for each other and ,he just popped up outta no where,we never got a backstory to this...Teyla finds out she's
          Spoiler:
          pregnant and in the same ep she starts talking about some
          and we're left wondering and scratching our heads....When did this happen....It would have been so much more believable if Michael was somehow
          Spoiler:
          the Father
          They have had way more screentime together and they've had tim to develop chemistry where with Kanaan there is just no chemistry whatsoever because we never saw him until near the end of the Season so they haven't had a change to develop it,you just don't feel there's anything between them,don't know about anybody else but to me that is a big problem...

There was so many great possibilities where this pregnancy could have gone but i guess they were afraid to go down these roads...But who knows,maybe there's still a surprise in store about this pregnancy but i wouldn't hold my breathe...

I been disappointed too many times by TPTB on Stargate to have any obtimism left in them

Man now i'm rambling and i've probably confused everyone again
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
            Well i'm glad it made sense...And i agree with what you said...I watched Jag too and i got so very frustrated with it that in the end when they did finally get together.....IN THE VERY LAST EPISODE I MIGHT ADD I was like meh in the end....I kinda lost interest by then.....The UST with no or next to no resolution is an 80's thing.......Nowadays people want more and like you said no one wants them to end up all lovey dovey,it's just not them...

As for Kanaan,this has got to be one of the most unrealistic storylines they've ever come up with....We're expected to believe that Teyla and Kanaan has feelings for each other and ,he just popped up outta no where,we never got a backstory to this...Teyla finds out she's
            Spoiler:
            and we're left wondering and scratching our heads....When did this happen....It would have been so much more believable if Michael was somehow
            Spoiler:
            the Father
            They have had way more screentime together and they've had tim to develop chemistry where with Kanaan there is just no chemistry whatsoever because we never saw him until near the end of the Season so they haven't had a change to develop it,you just don't feel there's anything between them,don't know about anybody else but to me that is a big problem...

There was so many great possibilities where this pregnancy could have gone but i guess they were afraid to go down these roads...But who knows,maybe there's still a surprise in store about this pregnancy but i wouldn't hold my breathe...

I been disappointed too many times by TPTB on Stargate to have any obtimism left in them

You haven't confused me and personally I think you made a lot of sense

Like I said in an earlier post, this season has been filled with "oh by the ways" and Kanan is the biggest one of all where this storyline with Teyla is concerned.

You, the writer, have made this thing between Telya and John a part of the show. Not by referring to it once and a while but quite often even during this pregnancy storyline. So for you to either ignore it or leave it open ended like J/S at the end of the series would be of no fault but your own. We didn't imagine this ship....you brought it to our attention and have constantly dangled it in our faces over the years and then out of the blue you expect us to buy into this Kanan guy? I don't think so. When the time comes to end this series (and I hope it is not in the near future) I hope the writers address this properly and don't give us the JAG crap or the "did they, didn't they" or "are they or aren't they" J/S mess.

What it comes down to is: sh*t or get off the pot! (not just with this show but with every show that does this sort of thing)
            Last edited by cabouse18; 07 March 2008, 01:59 PM.
            Sigs made by EG & Teylafan
            &=AWESOME &Forever
            No SGA fics yet....but ya never know

Comment

Originally posted by sillyscipia View Post
              "How high does the sycamore grow?
              If you cut it down, then you'll never know.
              And you'll never hear the wolf cry to the blue corn moon
              But whether we are white or copper-skinned,
              We need to sing with all the voices of the mountain,
              We need to paint with all the colors of the wind
              You can own the Earth and all you'll own is Earth
              Until you can paint with all the colors of the wind..."
              Yay! Pocahontas, I loved that as a kid!

Now my housemates favourite...

"I've got gadgets and gizmos aplenty
              I've got whozits and whatzits galore
              (You want thingamabobs?
              I got twenty)
              But who cares?
              No big deal
              I want more"

What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

WELCOME ASGARD

Kimberly

sigs by Cazz,scifan,elephantgirl, john-and-teyla , Donna , Linda, maffieg, and wraithlord . I'm in AWE of your talent and J/T is the best

Comment

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
                  Yay! Pocahontas, I loved that as a kid!

Now my housemates favourite...

"I've got gadgets and gizmos aplenty
                  I've got whozits and whatzits galore
                  (You want thingamabobs?
                  I got twenty)
                  But who cares?
                  No big deal
                  I want more"

"If there's a prize for rotten judgement
                  I guess I've already won that
                  No man is worth the aggravation
                  That's ancient history
                  Been there
                  Done that.

No chance,
                  No way,
                  I won't say it, no no
                  It's too cliche,
                  I won't say I'm in love."
                  Jess | he/his/him | future ruler of the universe
                  "Roger that. Remind me to underachieve twice as hard from now on."
                  sigpic
                  dA | tumblr | twitter

Comment

Vote for your best off world team leader
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=52407
                    sigpic
                    Sigs by Scifan

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,not you too.....I'm all alone
                      Sorry hun. I can't resist any Joe caps.

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post

Spoiler:
                      Joe Flanigan's father has just died! It was posted in the thunk thread sorry don't know how to link posts

Thanks for letting us know Cazz. That is so sad. Maybe we should send our regards through JM tonight.

mmmmmmmmmm,the very HOT Major!!!!
                      Thank you Linda.

They're great! I felt a little guilty for not doing any, thanks for helping out.

Thanks, Linda.
                      Thanks EG and I'm loving all of your animated icons. Awesome.

Originally posted by Elflinn View Post
                      1-800-Hot-nLeather
                      I love it!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by girlinabox View Post
                        There are a lot of people viewing this thread.

J/T art for the recent birthdays. Sorry if its too dark.

Spoiler:
                        I like dark!

Originally posted by TeylaFan View Post
                        LLOL You??? Nooo, don't worry, you're still the Queen of Angst!

LOVE the second one!!! Amazing!

Yup

It's awesome Maff!
                        Originally posted by scifan View Post
                        Sorry hun. I can't resist any Joe caps.
                        Thanks for letting us know Cazz. That is so sad. Maybe we should send our regards through JM tonight.

Thank you Linda.

Thanks EG and I'm loving all of your animated icons. Awesome.

I love it!!!!
                        Thanks TeylaFan and Scifan!

My personal Disney favorite'd have to be Jeremy Irons singing 'Be Prepared' in the Lion King.
                        sigpic

Comment

Both you and Blue make a lot sense!
                          Spoiler:
                          To me Kanaan is just the sperm donor for the child. They should've made Mikey the father. Or, made John the father. It would have been way more believable. They even could've made the Carson that died in Sunday the clone instead of vice versa. Then, it would have been more believable. Mikey could've had the Carson clone get to the DNA samples in that Beckett had in the lab that way. But, that is farfetched, I know. But, not as much as the whole Kanaan thing. This is the same thing were discussing earlier in the week to a certain extent. And, also, do any of you think of it as odd that not even Halling mentioned the baby and Kanaan? C'mon! It is not like she could hide it. It was just swept under the rug so to speak, like everything was normal. So, yes, I think the writer's really dropped the ball on this one. In Cabouse's oh, by the way, I am carring a child and Kanaan is the father. Who is he? He is someone I've known since childhood who has 'Gift'. This what drew us together, no, I've never been to connect with such visions with such realism as if were together in the same room and with hands touching. But, I've got to get to him, he's the father of my child. Do you love him? He's Kanaan, the father of my son. By the way, did I say that he was the father of child? Just checking. So, he is just sperm donor. They could've just sent her to Earth to a clinic for that and they wouldn't even have had to create a character with a name that way.
                          Last edited by Elflinn; 07 March 2008, 02:13 PM.
                          1-800-Iluv-JandT
                          sig by Sci!

Toll Free..Available 24 HRS...Remember..It can never be too much..

Comment

I like dark!

Thanks TeylaFan and Scifan!

My personal Disney favorite'd have to be Jeremy Irons singing 'Be Prepared' in the Lion King.
                            Jeremy Irons was in Lion King?!
                            Jess | he/his/him | future ruler of the universe
                            "Roger that. Remind me to underachieve twice as hard from now on."
                            sigpic
                            dA | tumblr | twitter

Comment

Thank you all for your welcome !
                              I think I should speak french because your french seem better than my english.
                              Cool you speak of things I like. I love Disney movies Beauty and the Beast is my all time favorite with Aladdin and Pocahontas. (I find the JT story seem like scene of Pocahontas for instance their encounter. It has to be my romantic side lol)
                              I agree with Bluealien for the same reason. I abandon JAG before the end beacause it was the Harm/Mac ship was the only reason that keep me interested. I only saw the last episode and I never see the last two seasons. But this is not the case for Stargate. I only want they become cannon (?) that we see something clear. I am clear or not at all ? lol
                              I hope I won't make me enemies lol but I think Kanaan
                              Spoiler:
                              was great in the last episode. Great is not the term but I was touched by the scene where he wants to deliver her. It is true we never see him before but Carter at the same moment had many more boyfriends yet she was interested in Jack. The problem is the baby and it's true I hoped (?) it was Michael plan. But to me it gives Teyla relief like a woman because in the galaxy she seems to be interesting to nobody. I am single and far more bad than Teyla and when I see this it's depressing lol but I don't want to seem desperate LOL)

Just to say I'm not unhappy with the Teyla storyline.
                              To finish you are great to create fanart an if someone want to make me a sig I will love it. please
                              sigpic
                              Sig by the Great Linda06

Comment

What !! they finally got together... I had given up by then...

Spoiler:
                                Spoiler:
                                the Father
                                I think Kanaan will end up like Pete... the worst plot device ever..

I think that's exaclty what it is.. fear!! They don't want to take a chance.. but it doesn't have to end up like Moonlighting.... if it's handled properly.

I know what you mean.. one moment they blow you away with little gems and the next you feel like WTF!! what was that all about..

They do have me a wee bit worried about season 5 and all these new characters. I don't think we will be getting much heartfelt emotion between anyone.. there won't be time... but I am looking forward to seeing where they will take John and Teyla...

Nah. no confusion here..
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X