Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrsB108 View Post
    Is an even greater woman.
    I thought it was a great woman....although I do like greater woman...

It could be strong woman..I am not sure..but, I do think it is great.
    1-800-Iluv-JandT
    sig by Sci!

Toll Free..Available 24 HRS...Remember..It can never be too much..

Comment

Originally posted by scifan View Post
      OK guys. My brain is working slow this morning. I need help with this quotaion.
      Behind every great man is a ____________ woman. Is there more between "a" and "woman"?

Thanks for any help.
      Here's the official phrase. You know how Elfie is kind of geeky that way in finding
      the actual meanings and stuff...

Behind every great man there's a great woman

Meaning

Literal meaning.

Origin

This has been adopted as a feminist slogan. The origins are uncertain, but it's certainly much older than the Women's Movement of the 1960s/70s, which spawned other such slogans. For example, 'a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.'

The first printed citation I can find is from the Texas newspaper The Port Arthur News, from February 1946. This was headed - "Meryll Frost - 'Most courageous athlete of 1945'":

"As he received his trophy, the plucky quarterback unfolded the story of how he 'came back'. He said 'They say behind every great man there's a woman. While I'm not a great man, there's a great woman behind me.'"

The use of the phrase in that quotation suggests it was well-known at the time, and may be much older than 1945.

The use of the phrase received a boost in 1985 with the release of The Eurythmics' song - Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves:

Now, there was a time,
      when they used to say,
      that behind ev'ry great man,
      there had to be a great woman.
      But oh, in these times of change,
      you know that it's no longer true.
      So we're comin' out of the kitchen,
      'cause there's something we forgot to say to you.
      We say, Sisters are doin' it for themselves,

I got this just from typing in part of the phrase and did a search for the heck of it to see what would come up! Isn't that a hoot! Here's the link for the site! Too funny!

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/60500.html
      1-800-Iluv-JandT
      sig by Sci!

Comment

LOL Go Elf with the education for the day!!

Comment

LOL Go Elf with the education for the day!!
          You know I had to! I am Elf! I post defintions of SQUEEEE! and WHUMP! with links...What can I say...
          1-800-Iluv-JandT
          sig by Sci!

Comment

Can you believe it! l'm finished voting and it is before the links were put up!
            I never get my voting done before Nina gets her page up. It usually a lot later in the day when I get done!
            1-800-Iluv-JandT
            sig by Sci!

Comment

okay motivational day heres mine i posted these in the Galleria as well
              Spoiler:

Sig Bye Me and Avi bye Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by Elflinn View Post
                Can you believe it! l'm finished voting and it is before the links were put up!
                I never get my voting done before Nina gets her page up. It usually a lot later in the day when I get done!
                Well done dude. It's kinda slow here this morning huh? Sci, you got anymore story for us today??

Comment

Originally posted by Elflinn View Post
                  Here's the official phrase. You know how Elfie is kind of geeky that way in finding
                  the actual meanings and stuff...

Behind every great man there's a great woman

Meaning

Literal meaning.

Origin

This has been adopted as a feminist slogan. The origins are uncertain, but it's certainly much older than the Women's Movement of the 1960s/70s, which spawned other such slogans. For example, 'a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.'

The first printed citation I can find is from the Texas newspaper The Port Arthur News, from February 1946. This was headed - "Meryll Frost - 'Most courageous athlete of 1945'":

"As he received his trophy, the plucky quarterback unfolded the story of how he 'came back'. He said 'They say behind every great man there's a woman. While I'm not a great man, there's a great woman behind me.'"

The use of the phrase in that quotation suggests it was well-known at the time, and may be much older than 1945.

The use of the phrase received a boost in 1985 with the release of The Eurythmics' song - Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves:

Now, there was a time,
                  when they used to say,
                  that behind ev'ry great man,
                  there had to be a great woman.
                  But oh, in these times of change,
                  you know that it's no longer true.
                  So we're comin' out of the kitchen,
                  'cause there's something we forgot to say to you.
                  We say, Sisters are doin' it for themselves,

I got this just from typing in part of the phrase and did a search for the heck of it to see what would come up! Isn't that a hoot! Here's the link for the site! Too funny!

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/60500.html
                  Thanks Elf. I was trying to find who said the quote and I found the same thing. LOL

3 new MPs on galleria in one sec.

Comment

Well done dude. It's kinda slow here this morning huh? Sci, you got anymore story for us today??
                    Yeah. It is kinda of slow. It is a shame that you can't see images at work. Teylia
                    and Donna are already bringin' on the MP's. Looks like Elf has her work cut out for her... I like how Teyilia use different colors on her MP's. It looks like she used red for the border and purple for the lettering. It makes them really pop!
                    1-800-Iluv-JandT
                    sig by Sci!

Comment

I think this would be by favorite question from JM's blog
                      Spoiler:
                      Gracey writes: “Anyhow on another online community we were asked which four famous people alive would we have dinner with…”

Answer: Thank you for choosing me. When are we going and who is paying? If I was asked the same question, I would choose Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Jessica Alba, and Nicole Ritchie because I’m sure they’d let me eat their portions as well.

LOL

my ships

Comment

Originally posted by girlinabox View Post
                        Spoiler:
                        Gracey writes: “Anyhow on another online community we were asked which four famous people alive would we have dinner with…”

Answer: Thank you for choosing me. When are we going and who is paying? If I was asked the same question, I would choose Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Jessica Alba, and Nicole Ritchie because I’m sure they’d let me eat their portions as well.

LOL
                        LOL That is funny. Hey are you in class right now?

Did you get your new Adobe thing up and running dude or what?

Comment

Originally posted by girlinabox View Post
                          Spoiler:

LOL
                          That is so true! ROFL! Thanks GNB!
                          1-800-Iluv-JandT
                          sig by Sci!

Comment

Attention Guests: Go register so I aint here by myself LOL

Comment

I'm gonna try. I might have to wait til tonight or when the little one is in bed. It's easier to do when it's quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by scifan View Post
                                I'm gonna try. I might have to wait til tonight or when the little one is in bed. It's easier to do when it's quiet.
                                Sounds good dude. Can't wait to see
                                Spoiler:
                                how pissed off Shep is when he finds her and Michael.

Comment

Working...
                                X