John Sheppard/Teyla Emmagan Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SnoggingPicard
    Okay, I watched "Conversion" again because I couldn't sleep at all last night because I was just soooo confused about everything that happened. If you read my last, long, lengthy post you'll know that I couldn't see where the writers were going with all of the relationship stuff that seemed to be going on. Well, after my second viewing (and I did take notes!), I've got some more ideas, and I feel a little better about it...at least, I think that I can finally start thinking about something else!

Spoiler:

1) The Kiss: When he asks her to call him John, she doesn't really seemed freaked out or scared...more surprised, like it's something she just wasn't expecting. Same with the kiss -- kind of confused and blown away by what just happened than really terrified of him. Sheppard is also concerned for her, and just a little shocked by what happened, but not unpleasantly so. IMO, it is something that he's always wanted to do, and having his inhibitions lessened by the illness, he just got carried away. His lack of control only lasts a moment, but he immediately goes to Teyla -- he even tells Weir and Beckett in the next scene that he feels perfectly fine! And again, Teyla doesn't tell anyone about his odd behavior, probably because she isn't really sure how it's making her feel.

2) Caldwell/Weir: The first scene that these two have together (the chess one), is interesting. I definitely picked up some flirting from them on both ends, and it is clear that he deeply respects her. The next conversation that they have, when she asks him to take over Sheppard's duties, had one of the only clear Shep/Weir moments I could pick up on, when he notices that "You two are pretty close?" There's kind of an awkward silence until she explains that "We've been through a lot together." Hmmm.

3) Weir/Shep alone scenes: First off, Weir is really naive and dumb to go into a room with someone de-evolving into a Wraith/life sucking bug without some sort of protection. I love the woman, but come on! They have a lot of scenes together, and for all she knows, he'll be dead in only a few days...but neither of them even start to say anything remotely shippy about how they feel. Most of the time, she's checking in on how he's feeling and updating him about the progress of the cure. He's mostly telling her that she shouldn't be there because he's dangerous, breaking windows, demanding that she send people to their deaths to help save him, and choking her when she doesn't comply. One of the only really touching scenes I saw between them that made me think "ship!" was when he asks her to have him killed. She kind of stares at him for a minute, and then looks down, too overwhelmed to even say anything. And then he says "It'll be better for both of us", which is very interesting wording. Oh yeah -- when John first comes to visit her in her office with his new security detail she reminds him that "It's only protocol" to which he responds "That's your answer for everything." Well, what is the protocol for getting involved with your colleague? Surely that is against some sort of protocol as well? Just a fascinating line about Weir's priorities and how he sees them.

4) Weir's behavior: When I first watched this, I was like, "Wow, she is so broken up about this!" But then I watched it again and I was struck by how in control she was about everything. Naturally she was upset about what was happening to Sheppard, but she managed to keep a level-head and a pragmatic view of the situation, much more so than the other characters. When John, for example, demands that she send another team to find the eggs, she refuses. Even though she understands that she is basically signing his death warrant by doing so, she says that she cannot risk the lives of more people just to save him, a very difficult, mature thing to say. All of the others (Teyla, Ronon, Beckett, and McKay) want to do everything possible to save Sheppard, even putting their own lives at risk in order to do so. But Weir knows that as leader of the station, she has hard choices to make, and having to choose between one life and another is something she has to face. Another moment along this line is when she goes to see Ronon, Teyla, and McKay to tell them that it is time for them to say goodbye. McKay and Teyla are absolutely devastated, and even though Weir is also upset, she manages to keep on her leader face for the sake of the others, ready to accept what will happen. She is the one who most has a lid on her emotions, and manages to balance her concern for John with what is best for everyone involved.

5) Ronon/Teyla stuff: Definitely some little tidbits of things here, though whether it is friendship or 'shippy is yet to be seen. When he's ribbing McKay, for example, they exchange smiles, and when they leave to find Sheppard, Teyla doesn't seem to want to believe she has to do this. Ronon asks if she's going to be able to go through with it. And again, when Ronon breaks off from their group during the pursuit, she calls after him with a voice filled with...some sort of emotion. It's weird. Go watch it again.

6) Teyla's actions: I wish we got more screentime with her and Shep, but she did a great job in this episode. When Weir deploys the teams to find Sheppard, she pauses as though completely unable to wrap her mind around what she has to do. Loved the little look that she and Weir exchanged, as though each knew what the other was feeling and they were drawing strength from each other. Hope we see more of that later on. When John attacks the other four members of her team when they're pursuing him, he completely ignores her until she calls to him. She is clearly terrified about what she might have to do (listen to her voice!), and instead chooses to frighten him off instead of actually shooting. Finally, when Shep and the team goes to find the eggs, the camera stays on her face a few extra seconds between scenes (when he goes into the cave, and when Ronon picks up Shep and leaves). The looks that she gives tells us everything we need to know about what she is feeling. Brilliant.

7) The Last Scene: So John's apologizing for maybe being out of character...but he didn't go to Weir, whom he tried to choke. So this means that kissing the woman that you have found attractive since Day One is out of character but strangling your boss isn't? Hmmm. Anyway, lots of stuff went on in this one, and I had to watch it several times to sort it all out. First, I definitely got the impression that they were flirting with each other (around the "100% John Sheppard line"). He gives her a heavy, meaningful look before he broaches the subject of what he did, as though he's trying to figure out exactly what he needs to say, but neither of them seems to want to address what happened. When he goes to apologize, he almost seems reluctant, as though he really wasn't sorry for what happened, and he never actually says that kissing her was a mistake or something he regretted. And the way that Teyla cuts him off before he can say anything like that makes me think that she doesn't exactly regret it either. And did anyone else notice this: after she tells him to give the incident no further thought, he says his line "Good...I won't" in a really weird manner. It's almost as if they understand that the action, while surprising, wasn't without a base, and that neither of them wants to admit that they were unhappy about what happened. That line carries a lot of weight and a strange emphasis, like she's invited him to carry on something that he's started...but what that could be, I have no idea. Of course, she still is calling him John, and she seems to like having that familarity. Finally, watch the look that he gets on his face when she walks away -- he watches her go with this little smile, and his eyes are working, almost like he's trying to figure out what just happened between them.

And the sigh. Many people have been interpreting it as complete relief on her part that it is over and that the moment was extremely uncomfortable. I didn't get the feeling that she was uncomfortable with what happened -- they both seemed to get more agitated when they were going to address it, as though they were happier having it lie between them unresolved and untouched. The relief seemed to come from the fact that they would still be able to be friends and that the kiss, though addressed, was not forgotten and not dismissed. Just my opinion, but she seemed a little flushed from their conversation. I just got out of high school, so the look on her face reminded me of those that girls sometimes get right after they talk to their major crush. They play it cool and keep a hold of themselves to his face, but as soon as they turn away, they're blushing from the encounter. Don't know if that makes sense, but that's what I got out of it.

8) Weir/Shep 'ship: Before this episode, I was kind of torn between what 'ship I liked better and which one I saw more of a future for. After watching it for the first time, I was so mixed up I wanted to cry or puke because things seemed to have gotten even more complicated and messed up. Having watched it again (watching for both ships), I think that nearly all of the stuff between Weir/Shep was the understandable reactions of someone's colleague, friend, and protector. I barely saw anything that really smacked of romance between the two of them or out of line/inappropriate concern that bordered on romance. What I saw was one friend that was terrified she was going to lose another and trying to balance what she owed him as a friend with what her position as leader called for her to do. I see a strong, trusting relationship between them, but not one that is destined for romance, though that could easily happen if TPTB decide to go that route. I was looking hard for that spark, I wanted to see it and recognize it...but I couldn't. Sheppard and Weir had many marvelous scenes together, but they were scenes of emotional angst and tried friendship. Teyla and Sheppard had much fewer scenes, but those were based on tension, attraction, unresolved moments, and questions about their future. Still not convinced one way or another about the ships, but "Conversion" didn't put the death seal on any of them -- it just left lots of new doors open.

Okay. Wow, I wrote a lot more than I was intending to. Thanks to all of you who took the time to read this ungodly mess, and any comments or rebuttals you care to make would be awesome. Getting some real conversations and discussions going on this thread would be great.
    Um.... that was a lot.....but very well written. I completely agree to everything you say here. You made complete and perfect sense and I think that I now have a much better understanding of the epidsode simply because I read that.... wow, that was probably the best review I've read so far.
    Spoiler:

Comment

Well, I watched it for the second time this morning....and I have to say...eventhough I stated that I was a bit dissappointed, I've changed my mind...I knew every scene, yet I was still tense completely focused on the episode....That to me translates into an awesome episode....

SPOILERS BELOW>>>>>SPOILERS BELOW>>>>SPOILERS BELOW>>>>>>>>>

I went back to see specifically the "shippy" scenes...

I have to say that the scene where Caldwell asks Weir about the closeness between her and Sheppard, she hesitates...IMO not because she is wondering how to hide her feelings towards him, but on the contrary to think how she feels and thus she states that they have been through a lot and that yes, they are very close...so, that doesn't sound to me like "shippy", just a person that truly cares about him.

Now there are some comments about Teyla and Ronon and their looks...Well, if anything, Ronon notices that Teyla deeply cares about Sheppard...he notices it when he asks her if she was coming...to look for Sheppard...and he notices it when they were outside the cave waiting for Sheppard to come and Teyla struggles with her words as to Sheppards demise....Ronon looks at her knowing fully well about how distress she is....

My favorite moment has to be when Ronon carries Sheppard and you see Teyla's look of agony and dispair...she is truly confused and to me is almost like her feelings are in overdrive...she cares for him as her superior and her friend, but still not having enough time to think about how she really feels for him.......

Finally, I have to mention Rodney...he doesn't really come out as one of the main stars in this episode...but still the same old Rodney...but when I watched this for the second time, I noticed when they were gathered and Weir came over to tell them that if they wanted to say their goodbyes they'd better hurry, you can see that Rodney's eyes are watery...At least to me it looked like it...and even if they didn't you can tell how much he is suffering as well...

Lastly, I loved how the team stuck together...the part when they were waiting and the part when the three of them remained in the infirmary while Sheppard was recovering...truly a very emotional episode...dark, but very powerful in defining how each character feels for one another....in retrospect, it's almost as if the relationships are being defined and there is a sense of unity among them something that sets asides their differences and brings them together to save a friend's life....very powerful....Very good episode...Great job Martin G.
      sigpic

Comment

More thoughts about Conversion.
        Spoiler:
        I watched the episode again, and that kiss just seems to get more powerful! The way he cupped her face with his hands! The whole thing was just oozing with passion! I noticed too that she didn't try to push him away. She had her hands out, and just sort of left them in the air, like she wasn't sure where to put them. If she hadn't wanted or liked the kiss, she would have had them against his shoulders or chest to push him away. And afterwords, when he asked if she was okay, my heart just about broke.... the way he said it, was so sweet and unsure. I just wanted to give him a hug!

In the end scene, I've heard that people think her calling him John was teasing, but I think it was an admission that their relationship had changed and she accepted it. That they were on more familiar terms now and she was happy about it.
        I also interperet their exchange about the apology different than most. (And these arn't direct quotes!) He says there's something I should probably apologize for, and she says to think nothing of it, then he says okay I won't. First off, I think it's interesting that he doesn't think he should apologyize, but that he thinks he should "probably" apologize, meaning to me that he doesn't regret what he did. Then she says not to think about giving an apology, that she doesn't need one, meaning that she doesn't regret what he did either. His little acknoledgement of okay I won't is simply his way of saying that he understands.
        It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Originally posted by aaobuttons
          Spoiler:
          I watched the episode again, and that kiss just seems to get more powerful! The way he cupped her face with his hands! The whole thing was just oozing with passion! I noticed too that she didn't try to push him away. She had her hands out, and just sort of left them in the air, like she wasn't sure where to put them. If she hadn't wanted or liked the kiss, she would have had them against his shoulders or chest to push him away. And afterwords, when he asked if she was okay, my heart just about broke.... the way he said it, was so sweet and unsure. I just wanted to give him a hug!

In the end scene, I've heard that people think her calling him John was teasing, but I think it was an admission that their relationship had changed and she accepted it. That they were on more familiar terms now and she was happy about it.
          I also interperet their exchange about the apology different than most. (And these arn't direct quotes!) He says there's something I should probably apologize for, and she says to think nothing of it, then he says okay I won't. First off, I think it's interesting that he doesn't think he should apologyize, but that he thinks he should "probably" apologize, meaning to me that he doesn't regret what he did. Then she says not to think about giving an apology, that she doesn't need one, meaning that she doesn't regret what he did either. His little acknoledgement of okay I won't is simply his way of saying that he understands.

Spoilers below----Spoilers Below-----

Love the way you put this...couldn't have said it better myself...
          I can't imagine how people don't see this as a good sign for this relationship...I mean why even put it in the episode if it isn't for the purpose of a future shipping?
          Someone in another thread put it beautifully....
          I will paraphrase it of coarse...but it brought up the point as to why did Sheppard kiss Teyla and not Weir when he saw her more than Teyla?

And like you stated....his concern for her after the kiss...and after his recovery...just proved how much he does care about her and her acknowledgement of her feelings towards him...if anything this episode is setting the foundation for a possible romantic relationship between these two characters....

I find it fascinating how everyone sees the same scenes so differently...and of coarse, everyone has very good points....It's all in the eyes of the beholder and of coarse, how we would like to see things...
          sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Whistler84]Now compare this to what Pam said on another forum:

Wait, Whistler...I just read the entire posting that you wrote...I kinda of not read what Pam wrote, the first time....

She is still around? You must tell me where she posted this....You have to tell...I have to write to her....because I find it amazing that I could be both Camy and Pam and yet still post as both....I thought she was just gone completely and then resurfaced in me as Camy....

So, let me get this straight, I am posting as CAMY and PAM....wow....I didn't know I was so savy....well, yes I did...but never really thought of it...

Thanks again Whistler84.....
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Camy
              She is still around? You must tell me where she posted this....You have to tell...I have to write to her....because I find it amazing that I could be both Camy and Pam and yet still post as both....I thought she was just gone completely and then resurfaced in me as Camy....

So, let me get this straight, I am posting as CAMY and PAM....wow....I didn't know I was so savy....well, yes I did...but never really thought of it...

Pam. .as "John&Teylaalltheway" got in a lot of trouble here with her nasty posts regarding some characters who got in the way of her fav "ship". This site is well moderated so "Pam" had to take her act elsewhere to fire off her nasty comments (which she still does on other boards). She did remain here at GW under other names but toned down her language so as not to be noticed. She still gets in her "digs" on Weir and Dex, but in a more understated way.

You, Camy. .have made some awful remarks about Weir on another board that you recently mentioned (I checked it out). Comments like, "TPTB had to double Torri's makeup this season to make her remotely attractive." is nothing but a rehash of what Pam used to say. So don't come here and say you like Weir, or you've never said anything against her or Torri, because you HAVE. YOU let the cat out of the bag by mentioning that "other" board - and your posts over there (as "Camy") are very negative and would never be allowed here at GW. That is why many people believe you to be "Pam".

However, I will give you the benefit of the doubt. If you can post in an intelligent and mature fashion, and avoid the attitude you exhibit on other boards, folks won't accuse you of being someone else and you will be able to get along with everyone. You might even have fun.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Oenone
                Okay, let's face it, I'm a n00b. Who the h*lls is Pam?
                No, you're not a n00b or noob, you're just a newb/newbie.
                This poster has a Superiority Complex. Apologies in advance.

Comment

Wait, Whistler...I just read the entire posting that you wrote...I kinda of not read what Pam wrote, the first time....

No Camy, this was in one of the Scifi.com boards.

Okay, I don't know what to believe anymore and I think I'll go with Whistler because, yes your typing seems similar to Pam's but atitude wise? Completely different. You seem more nice, less b****

And if, *IF*, you are Pam, why can't you post like that on other threads?

Comment

Originally posted by xkawaiix
                    No Camy, this was in one of the Scifi.com boards.

Okay, I don't know what to believe anymore and I think I'll go with Whistler because, yes your typing seems similar to Pam's but atitude wise? Completely different. You seem more nice, less b****

And if, *IF*, you are Pam, why can't you post like that on other threads?

Simple....because I am not Pam.....
                    And I am tired of repeating myself...it is so obvious that we are just two different people...and you just said it....
                    I will always post....nicely.....
                    but, seriously, enough....
                    this thread is not about that..and Whistler84 couldn't have said it better..if you want to respond to my postings, fine...otherwise...just ignore me! But, like I have said time and time and time and time and time again....the people that have made such accusations, have no proof...why because they have none...they just got upset because of some questions I posted...which has nothing b****y in it!
                    Thanks for your posting....
                    sigpic

Comment

Ok, I've decided I like this one best! http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68...0910203833.jpg Passion, people, PASSION!

And has anyone taken up my challenge yet for the vid? You give me one good Sheyla vid that has Conversion scenes in it, and I'll trade you for a Sheyla fic! Come on, there has to be some vidders out there somewhere!
                      It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Spoiler:

Awesome. That's exactly what I thought, but you managed to put it all in a pretty, lovely couple of paragraphs. Givin' you some green for this one!

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

And has anyone taken up my challenge yet for the vid? You give me one good Sheyla vid that has Conversion scenes in it, and I'll trade you for a Sheyla fic! Come on, there has to be some vidders out there somewhere!
                          *raises hand* I vid. Only two problems with me making one, currently stuck madly making icons (infact I made a sort of shep/teyla one...) for a LJ challenge, and I haven't yet seen Conversion (waiting for housemates to return so we can watch it together). Other than that I could maybe have a go tomorow, but what song? I also need to have the song, I've got alot but not everything. Still if someone finds a song I turn out to have that might fit for a Shep/Teyla vid then I'm willing to have a go at it this week.

Though you might do well to go ask MartoufMarty, she might take up the challenge and she made Stellar before, which was pretty good.

Comment

Simple....because I am not Pam.....
                            And I am tired of repeating myself...it is so obvious that we are just two different people...and you just said it....
                            I will always post....nicely.....
                            but, seriously, enough....
                            this thread is not about that..and Whistler84 couldn't have said it better..if you want to respond to my postings, fine...otherwise...just ignore me! But, like I have said time and time and time and time and time again....the people that have made such accusations, have no proof...why because they have none...they just got upset because of some questions I posted...which has nothing b****y in it!
                            Thanks for your posting....
                            Camy, I don't think repeating yourself is going to help any, so lets just *finally* get back on track. Everybody can do it. I know it. So . . . dear God, I think I've been watching Weir too much. I'm trying to hone my thus-previously-non-existent 'diplomatic' skills. Maybe if I said 'Gentlemen' in a really firm voice, it will cease all conversation? Hehe.

I know, I know. I need a life.

Wanna sig? Ask me. I'll probably make you one.
                            I would also like it noted that in The Long Goodbye,
                            Spoiler:
                            Weir asked John to be her husband, and he said yes!! HA!!! LOL!

Comment

Hi, I'm soooo... new here but I'm just loving the Sheyla love fest going on. I'm a major fan of the two together and I couldn’t wait to find a board with supporters who shared the same feelings; You know, I gotta admit though I wasn’t on board with them getting together at first because I only saw a solid friendship between these two, and to be frank I didn't like the idea of any woman romantically being linked to John but after "conversion" I’m completely sold on Sheyla and I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more out there like me.
                              I definitely can see more Sheyla growth happening and I believe that the writers are more than capable of developing something deeper between them; there just better not be any gratuitous meaningless sex thrown our way. I so wouldn’t want that.
                              Anyways, I like reading all of the support and favor directed towards my favorite ship and can’t wait for more fans to jump on board.

Comment

Originally posted by fates4jt
                                Hi, I'm soooo... new here but I'm just loving the Sheyla love fest going on. I'm a major fan of the two together and I couldn’t wait to find a board with supporters who shared the same feelings; You know, I gotta admit though I wasn’t on board with them getting together at first because I only saw a solid friendship between these two, and to be frank I didn't like the idea of any woman romantically being linked to John but after "conversion" I’m completely sold on Sheyla and I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more out there like me.
                                I definitely can see more Sheyla growth happening and I believe that the writers are more than capable of developing something deeper between them; there just better not be any gratuitous meaningless sex thrown our way. I so wouldn’t want that.
                                Anyways, I like reading all of the support and favor directed towards my favorite ship and can’t wait for more fans to jump on board.
                                Welcome to our group! We love to hear from new people, and I'm so glad you liked "Conversion" too. There were some definite squee moments in there for Sheyla shippers!

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Working...
                                X