Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't understand anyone just watching a show, especially a sci-fi show for romance between two characters. Sci-fi is about adventure, action and a creative storyline and if the writers are smart, which so far the SGA writers are, also creating and developing well rounded characters and interesting relationships.
    This isn't Friends or a soap, romantic pairings take a back seat, and I mean a really far back seat to everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonaille
      I can't understand anyone just watching a show, especially a sci-fi show for romance between two characters. Sci-fi is about adventure, action and a creative storyline and if the writers are smart, which so far the SGA writers are, also creating and developing well rounded characters and interesting relationships.
      This isn't Friends or a soap, romantic pairings take a back seat, and I mean a really far back seat to everything else.
      Ugh, I think Shonaille might be my long lost twin... In relation to a PJ, the back seat would be left on the planet before returning home.
      WEIR: I'm still trying to understand, how you thought it was a good idea to test this device by having someone throw you off a balcony

MCKAY: Oh, believe me that's not the first thing we tried.

SHEPPARD: I shot him.... In the leg.

WEIR:

Comment

Noticed this thread in passing and I haven't read much of it so forgive me if it's already been said:

Sorry but if it is Shep & Weir I'd rather not watch
        The setup does seem terribly dime novel macho, doesn't it?:

You undermine my authority and your actions get my personnel killed with horrifying regularity--but I am helpless to resist your studliness, John.

Gag.
        Last edited by Wordsmit2; 05 July 2005, 02:39 AM.
        Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
          Of course, if TPTB bothered to make Teyla more intelligent and quit dwelling on her physical attributes, a Teyla/Sheppard ship just might go over better with fans.
          Probably.

Back to Weir. How many films and TV shows have you seen with the President, Prime Minister, mayor, boss wearing a T-shirt?

Answer: None. I think when she's on duty Weir should put that jacket back on.

As a contrast, notice how often Sheppard wears his jacket when he needs to seem authoritative. And look at how un-authoritative he looks in shirtsleeves. So why is Weir always in shirtsleeves?
          Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

I've noticed that in some episodes when everyone else was in a t-shirt, Shep was all buttoned up to the neck in his winter gear. Maybe he just gets cold. Of course, what would solve this for him is if he wore socks...

Comment

I've nothing against shippers - different strokes for different folks and all...but personally, I'd rather not see canon 'ship on the show. To me, 'ship is for fanon and fan-fiction...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
              "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
                I've noticed that in some episodes when everyone else was in a t-shirt, Shep was all buttoned up to the neck in his winter gear. Maybe he just gets cold. Of course, what would solve this for him is if he wore socks...
                Hehe, seeing how the rest of the cast is Canadian they are probably used to the weather. He's from California right?

Fundamentally, it seems to me, the trick with good sci-fi or any drama, is to make it character based but not relationship based, so that it appears more than two dimensional …
                I read that over at a Firefly Forum, it sounds like good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by knocknashee
                  I've nothing against shippers - different strokes for different folks and all...but personally, I'd rather not see canon 'ship on the show. To me, 'ship is for fanon and fan-fiction...
                  The term "ship" IS actually a term used for fan fiction, and is not an industry term. However, the press (with nothing better to do) pokes around fan archives and has brought it into the normal press. Most people if they heard the term ship would wonder where the big boat was!

Ship is fanon. It's not canon. Romantic involvement can be canon, but right now, the SGA writers have wisely avoided that kind of stuff. If you want romance, well, there's plenty of soaps on during the day time

Comment

Some people don't want Shep/Teyla, some don't want Shep/Weir. TPTB can make everyone happy (and keep ratings up) if they don't go either way.

As others have said. . keep the "soap" out of sci-fi. Its much better that way.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesSGC
                      Ugh, I think Shonaille might be my long lost twin... In relation to a PJ, the back seat would be left on the planet before returning home.
                      And you've said it much better than I, thank you

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                        Some people don't want Shep/Teyla, some don't want Shep/Weir. TPTB can make everyone happy (and keep ratings up) if they don't go either way.

As others have said. . keep the "soap" out of sci-fi. Its much better that way.

I completely agree, as long as they don't cut out the 'shippy' moments( and i use this term loosely bcse its all up to the viewer's interpretation) with Shep and Weir or Shep and Teyla, its all good

Comment

Cos I was about to say "What shippy moments?"

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmit2
                            Probably.

Back to Weir. How many films and TV shows have you seen with the President, Prime Minister, mayor, boss wearing a T-shirt?

Answer: None. I think when she's on duty Weir should put that jacket back on.

As a contrast, notice how often Sheppard wears his jacket when he needs to seem authoritative. And look at how un-authoritative he looks in shirtsleeves. So why is Weir always in shirtsleeves?
                            Hammond was almost always in shirtsleeves, albeit uniform sleeves...

I really dislike pairing of any characters. Why, oh why, do writers/producers think the 2 lead characters of the opposite sex must be paired off in so many shows? I just don't see it with Weir & Sheppard. Possibly Shep and Teyla, but even then I'd prefer it in the back seat--oops, was that the ejection button? Too bad.

Comment

Why does anyone have to get together? Why must there be ship? I certainly wouldn't be satisfied if after however many years of no ship there's suddenly ship in the last episode.

Comment

No matter how it started, I think the conversation for the last couple of posts have been quite civilized and interesting, I'd like to see it continue.

Comment

Working...
                                X