Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PartyLikeIts1984
    I tested out of ALL the pre-requisites for both Math and English.
    wo0t! That's like, three or four classes I don't have to take! And that, mis amigos, is a lot of money.
    Congratulations.

But watch out for the math. Unless you *really* know it, taking a step back and taking a refresher (e.g. Pre-Calculus) before you dive into university mathematics may be better for your stress level in the long run. Unless you're quite sure you're *not* going to major in mathematics, science, or engineering, I suppose.

Mm, needs a keyboard. Piano, computer, typewriter...
    Last edited by Wordsmit2; 04 November 2005, 04:02 PM.
    Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
      Or how about Rock, Paper, Scissors?
      Did someone call for Rock, Paper, Scissors?

Then let's see some more!

*THUNK*
      "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
      My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

I think she got the hint, but she's coming to drive me home for the weekend, so I plan on dropping more hints.

Mom: You sure have a lot of laundry.
        Me: You know what would help with laundry? Getting me Stargate Atlantis.
        Mom: You never call, why don't you ever call?
        Me: You know what would make me call more? Getting me Stargate Atlantis.
        Mom: Gas is so expensive.
        Me: You know what would help bring down the cost of crude oil? Getting me Stargate Atlantis.

Whaddya think?
        Sounds like a plan.

And to fill the one pic per post guide lines
        Um, yeah. Entertaining though S.G.C's suggestion is, for those of us on dialup, it takes an average of five minutes just to load a page of ten posts these days. Many images that only partially load promptly vanish again without a sign that they were ever there, making us occasionally wonder what the h*ll people are talking about.

By way of example, posts 6901-6910 took nine minutes to load because I had to load the page twice because half the images disappeared. And S.G.C's images *never* fully load. So here I've got the South Park Atlantis cast from their hairlines to their eyes even though that sig has been on three of the last four pages in this thread.

How about

1) Not repeating images too often?

2) If there are a lot of images already on a page, wait until a new page is begun before posting another batch?
        Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
          http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/ironicfox/rotate/81662aba.jpg

Do you think he sleeps with the ZedPM? I bet he dreams about them.
          I'll bet they aren't very nice dreams though, considering they're so hard to keep once you find them.

Somewhat related, there's a great M/S slash fic (Face Value) where McKay becomes telepathic for a few days and among other things has to deal with other people's nightmares. That part made my eyes sting a bit.

The great thing about this fic is, although the premise is cliche, the author refuses to let the story fall down the cliche path. The characters are active, not passive, and nothing is convenient.

And she does a great Zelenka.
          Last edited by Wordsmit2; 04 November 2005, 04:06 PM.
          Wordsmit2

Comment

Here's a new review of Nothing . The DVD was released in the US on Oct 25th. I couldn't wait and bought mine a while ago from the Canadian Amazon site.

Some caps from the movie.

Last edited by watcher652; 04 November 2005, 04:19 PM.

My kind of guy:
            "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
            Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
            (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by S.G.C
              Also MCKAY AVATAR!! Finally got 1801 posts!!!!
              Congrats S.G.C
              You know I have noticed Rodney has very few official GW avatars even when they are all unlocked I think the number is still only two, maybe three, mmm I think there are about five for John and some of his are from the show but I think the Rodney ones are promo shots. I know GW has still to catch up with adding Dex but Rodney is like the third most important SGA character (well I think the most important but.. ). Just an observation and general gripe!

Originally posted by Wordsmit2
              Um, yeah. Entertaining though S.G.C's suggestion is, for those of us on dialup, it takes an average of five minutes just to load a page of ten posts these days.
              Although I can empathise having had Dial-up for the first couple of months after I joined GW, there are at least two things you can do that might help (unless you already do these ), edit your preferences to not show sigs, make sure you only load 5 posts at a time.

I also think GW in general is a problem I now have Broad Band but believe me sometimes on GW it seems like I have Dial-up again! And with the recent modifications to the Forum it has actually gotten worse and even though they keep saying no it is not GW blah! It must be because this is the only Forum that is slow to load pages, I mean pages that have less then 50 posts with BB should not take 3-4 minutes under any conditions.

Originally posted by Wordsmit2
              How about

1) Not repeating images too often?

2) If there are a lot of images already on a page, wait until a new page is begun before posting another batch?
              I think asking other posters in a *Thunk* thread to not post repeat pics is asking way too much. Is it even possible?

The best thing to do would be what I always try to do and that is make the pic about 450 by 300, or 500 by 400 pixels. This tendency to not re-size or to go for the large impressive image is a little unfair for those on Dial-up even if GW seems to allow it. I rarely post pics larger then 500 pix anywhere on GW even when people try and encourage it.

I will say we seem to have developed the annoying habit recently of not URLing pics and not editing posts when quoting, please can we do this? I really don't need to read half a page of a quote that is only referencing two lines! I know we have newbies and that is fine, but I have noticed some "older" members quoting pics without the URL tags. *no names*

Wow, see long post takes years to load and slightly Off-topic. No pics either.

Comment

Here's a new review of Nothing . The movie was released in the US on Oct 25th. I couldn't wait and bought mine a while ago from the Canadian Amazon site.

Some caps from the movie.
                Argh!! My copy's still not here! I ordered it on the 25th, and it's STILL not here!

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten
                  Argh!! My copy's still not here! I ordered it on the 25th, and it's STILL not here!
                  Poor thing. Have another cap from the movie.

My kind of guy:
                  "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                  Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

Poor thing. Have another cap from the movie.
                    Awwww! *huggles it*

Comment

The best thing to do would be what I always try to do and that is make the pic about 450 by 300, or 500 by 400 pixels.
                      Generally, the largest I make mine is 625 by 365, which seems to be the default size on one of my screen cap programs. That fits comfortably on one screen for me. My other screen cap program makes them about 500 by 300. It depends on the source material.

I also try to limit the caps to no more than 3 per post.

I will say we seem to have developed the annoying habit recently of not URLing pics and not editing posts when quoting, please can we do this? I really don't need to read half a page of a quote that is only referencing two lines! I know we have newbies and that is fine, but I have noticed some "older" members quoting pics without the URL tags. *no names*
                      I just violated that "rule" by re-showing the a thunkable pic so my thunk would make visual sense. Sorry about that.

I think folks expect a Thunk thread is going to have lots of pictures. Isn't that's why we have a separate Thunk thread from the Character thread? I've stopped going to the Dr. Rodney McKay thread as much as I used to because I think there are too many verbal spoilers without spoiler tags over there. At least there were the last time I visited.

The suggestion of only loading 5 posts at a time is an excellent one.

My kind of guy:

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten
                        Awwww! *huggles it*
                        Now here's a "huggles" cap from the movie Nothing!

And he's still adorable!

My kind of guy:

Comment

Congrats S.G.C
                          You know I have noticed Rodney has very few official GW avatars even when they are all unlocked I think the number is still only two, maybe three, mmm I think there are about five for John and some of his are from the show but I think the Rodney ones are promo shots. I know GW has still to catch up with adding Dex but Rodney is like the third most important SGA character (well I think the most important but.. ). Just an observation and general gripe!
                          THIRD??!! I mean, I would definitely vote for Rodney being the most important but trying to speak from an objective viewpoint *cough* I would definitely rate him as first or even maybe second behind Shep. Shep may be the star of the show, but the writers have spent far more time developing Rodney than Shep.

This post is dial-up friendly

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                            This post is dial-up friendly
                            And I and my modem thank you.

For those not on the McKay Daily LJ, someone posted a link to a scan of an interview with David. It answers a few questions I've seen asked here about him in the past. They've also posted some pics.... so... go look and thunk.

http://www.livejournal.com/community...ly/102334.html

Comment

Awww, he definately is. Looking at that pic, it's hard to imagine he'd grow up to play the most annoying, sarcastic genius of two galaxies. But, I'm glad he did.

Comment

that is soo cute and hilarious watcher
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X