Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arlessiar
    Nice McShep talk by the way. I have to admit it, I like it too. I prefer McBeck, but McShep is also nice!
    I've been reading some McLenka, and it's very, very good. Rodney and Zelenka have a lot in common.

When it comes to fics, well, I have to be in the mood for angst. But I also have problems with a TorturedSoul!Rodney where he is hideoulsy traumatized and cries. I can't see Rodney letting bullies get to him when he was a kid. I'm sure he jst called them neaderthals and took comfort in the fact that he was millions of times more intelligent.

If you like ficcies, LiveJournal is great. There are tons of places for slash, het, gen, and weirder stuff. My favorite is a community where they take plots of Harlequin novels and put our favorite characters in the leading roles. You get plots like "Rich!Rodney kidnaps Poor!John and holds him in his castle of lurve," or "DowdyAssistant!Zelenka is in love with HighPoweredExecutive!Weir, when he has to pretend to be married to her, will sparks fly?" Thery always have great descriptions. I'm in the middle of reading one that goes "Astrophysicist Rodney McKay inherited part of the Circle A horse ranch from his uncle Marshall. No one expected him to want to keep it, especially the general manager, John Sheppard. Now, as the Rathe Land Development Corporation tries to buy up as much of Pegasus County as possible, John must convince Rodney to help him expose the corrupt conglomerate and bring his uncle's murderers to justice."

They're just good, *not all that* clean fun.

PM me if you want the site. I'm not sure of the rules on this and some people post PWP's there. I'd hate to offend any delicate modesty and all that.

The fics are always funny, and always well written. Seriously, I've never read Harlequin, but these fics are great.

*~S.T.A.K.S.~*~LiveJournal Leik Woah~*

"Dosmrti, dosmrti na to nezapomenu."

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
      Hmm, no haven't noticed. Of course I don't have it on Tape. I am also with you on this interpretation of that scene. We do have a McKay/Sheppard thread! Two even.

I just finished watching The Lost Boys. I liked it a lot I didn't mind when the TBC came up. I want to wait for this conclusion I think it could be worth the wait.

Um back to McKay/Sheppard *sorry* I loved the
      Spoiler:
      part when John is talking to Rodney in the long grass. Rodney's apology and the way John touched his arm. I also thought it took John (& Rodney) a Long time to get back to the hideout (if it is a hideout?). Seemed like everyone else had gone back while waiting for John and Rodney to finish! There chat! *sorry again*
      I really need to find that McKay/Sheppard thread.
      I know you're right. I don't get to post very often and I forget, sometimes, just where I'm posting when I'm tizzied over any McKay/Sheppard moments in new eps....and this thread is always one of the first McKay threads in the character/relationships list so I tend to land here first. I'll have to dig down for the McKay/Sheppard threads. There's no reason why they should be so buried. It seems to me a huge number of people both here and posting at SciFi.com adore the scenes between Rodney and John just as much as I do.

I love, too, that scene you mention. The development of their friendship is an intriguing thing to watch. It's hot. (even if you only view it as friendship, it's hot). You know what I get from them? A feeling like they're a pair of souls who've gone through dozens of lifetimes together and are finding each other again, irresistibly drawn to each other despite their differences (and again, that can even be so in a purely friendshippy sense, for those who don't like the slash.)

Okay, honest-to-god last McKay/Shep post in here from me. Cross my heart.

Comment

Originally posted by PartyLikeIts1984
        I can't see Rodney letting bullies get to him when he was a kid. I'm sure he jst called them neaderthals and took comfort in the fact that he was millions of times more intelligent.
        As a former bullied kid, I've thought a lot about Rodney's childhood in that regard. I think that the snark and the biting sarcasm are partly the result of some bullying and mostly act as a protection (ie "attack before you can become the target"). But I don't think that Rodney found that way of dealing with bullying right away (assuming that he was indeed bullied when he was a kid. IMO he was, but I don't buy into the "Rodney was an abused kid" (as in badly beaten/sexually abused) theory). You have to deal with the bullies every day of the week and some days you just don't have it in you to fight back so Rodney may have been burnt a bit before finding a way to protect himself.
        Wow, that was a little bit too serious for a thunking thread. Sorry.

"Astrophysicist Rodney McKay inherited part of the Circle A horse ranch from his uncle Marshall. No one expected him to want to keep it, especially the general manager, John Sheppard. Now, as the Rathe Land Development Corporation tries to buy up as much of Pegasus County as possible, John must convince Rodney to help him expose the corrupt conglomerate and bring his uncle's murderers to justice."
        ROFL, this one's really good.

I love, too, that scene you mention. The development of their friendship is an intriguing thing to watch. It's hot. (even if you only view it as friendship, it's hot). You know what I get from them? A feeling like they're a pair of souls who've gone through dozens of lifetimes together and are finding each other again, irresistibly drawn to each other despite their differences (and again, that can even be so in a purely friendshippy sense, for those who don't like the slash.)
        You know who they remind me about (and I've realised that only a couple of days ago) : Aubrey and Maturin. The dynamic of their relationship remind me of them.
        Incidentally, Aubrey and Maturin were slashed long before the movie was even made.

Aurore

Comment

Good morning gals.

Where are all the pics of Rodney?

Originally posted by Aurore
          As a former bullied kid, I've thought a lot about Rodney's childhood in that regard.
          I was never bullied but I did get in fights with bullies I seemed to always be the one stepping in to try and stop the bullying and what happens you become the target but I have a lot of siblings so I always had back up! I seriously don't take crap from anyone life is too short.
          I don't buy into the "Rodney was an abused kid" (as in badly beaten/sexually abused) theory).
          I have to say the sexual abuse angle grates with me I also think it be-Little's actual victims/survivours of abuse. Well the badly written/researched stuff anyway.

Comment

Good morning gals.

Well want something done..,

There he is.

Oh yeah that's our Rodney.

Mmm, eyelashes.

Bye off to work!

Comment

From The Lost Boys.

My kind of guy:
              "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
              Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
              (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Oh! Just beau-ti-ful! Love his long eyelashes! I could stare at them forever! *sigh*
                Do you hear the sleep-deprived fangirl in me speaking?

Tomorrow I'll finally be able to see "Lost Boys" (thanks for the pics, watcher652!). And continue my work on a little pic for the LCLA.

Good night folks.
                Bye, A.
                ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
                ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

As a former bullied kid, I've thought a lot about Rodney's childhood in that regard. I think that the snark and the biting sarcasm are partly the result of some bullying and mostly act as a protection (ie "attack before you can become the target"). But I don't think that Rodney found that way of dealing with bullying right away (assuming that he was indeed bullied when he was a kid. IMO he was, but I don't buy into the "Rodney was an abused kid" (as in badly beaten/sexually abused) theory). You have to deal with the bullies every day of the week and some days you just don't have it in you to fight back so Rodney may have been burnt a bit before finding a way to protect himself.
                  Wow, that was a little bit too serious for a thunking thread. Sorry.
                  I don't mind it being serious once in a while. I've always wondered if Rodney was many grades ahead in school. Have they ever mentioned it in the show?
                  If he was in college at ten years of age or something like that, do kids in such situations encounter much bullying? I'd think it would create other social problems for them, which makes sense in Rodney's case, since he's not especially graceful in social situations, the poor baby.

You know who they remind me about (and I've realised that only a couple of days ago) : Aubrey and Maturin. The dynamic of their relationship remind me of them.
                  Incidentally, Aubrey and Maturin were slashed long before the movie was even made.

Aurore
                  I loved the movie just for the friendship angle. I've never read the books. I was never a fan of sea-going stories. Are they fun to read?

Comment

Serious can be good once and awhile, I mean you can't have funny all the time...well, you can, but it does get old after awhile. And I wondered that too, if Rodney was ahead a few grades..he sure seems like the type don't he
                    sigpic

Comment

One more from The Lost Boys.

My kind of guy:
                      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                      (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Mmmm...very lovely
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by smushybird
                          I don't mind it being serious once in a while. I've always wondered if Rodney was many grades ahead in school. Have they ever mentioned it in the show?
                          No, nothing like that was mentioned on the show yet IIRC. Only a few things about his college years, but nothing about skipping grades. You can find it in fanfic a lot, so I guess it's mainly a fanon thing.

And concerning the being more serious thing: I love thunking, but I do also love serious discussions. But we have the Rodney McKay discussion thread for this. Not that there couldn't be some serious issues on the thunk thread, but I guess longer discussions about Rodney shouldn't be held here.

Bye, A., FINALLY watching Lost Boys now
                          Last edited by Arlessiar; 26 September 2005, 12:56 AM.
                          ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
                          ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

Hello.

I am too tired from work to make much of a post just dropping in to say hello.

Comment

But I don't think that Rodney found that way of dealing with bullying right away (assuming that he was indeed bullied when he was a kid).
                              I'm not entirely convinced he was. He probably had his own little clique of intelligent friends and didn't give a damn about others. I think a lot of his behaviour comes from the hints we've be given about how he didn't have a wonderful family life...
                              sigpic
                              by Kaaatie

Comment

Nekkid Rodney.

Comment

Working...
                                X