Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassiopeia
    I only recently caught up with 48 hours, and haven't had chance to watch Redemption yet (I know, I know, horror of horrors I'm not a long standing SG1 fan, just Atlantis, so I'm still playing catch up with some of the more relevant eps of SG1), but I have to say I actually liked McKay in 48 hours, he's kinda like a refreshing breath of air in that with everyone so serious and heroic and dedicated to saving Teal'c... actually, make that a refreshing er hurricane?
    I haven't seen any of the McKay eps of SG1, but I heard he was a real pain in those. Fans were apparently really worried when he was cast for Atlantis, thinking he was going to be an irritating pain in that too, but I think they were pleasantly surprised when his character was deepened beyond that.
    I want to see the SG1 eps at least for the Rodney/Sam interactions. ("pianist", ha!) There's another ship that's extremely interesting but is never going to be canonized. Still hoping that she's going to pop over to Atlantis next season...

Oh, and I admit I have a major thing for Alan Rickman...gotta be the accent. If DH develops one of those you guys are going to have to gather me up in a bucket.

And aaobuttons needs inspiration for fanfic? *digs around for chocolate*

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
      Yes. I agree David cold probably do a very cool Doctor Who but not right now obviously. As for crossover fics. Read two short ones which are McKay/Weir (Mystery and Blemished by Mary Christmas) and I think there's a few others out there somewhere.

As for HP - I think it's a requirement for casting that you're British. Not sure if you can get away with british born and a decent enough accent but it'd would be cool if tht was so. What part could you see him in? I know they've started filming book 4 already but are there any charactesrs or types that you could see him playing?
      Thanks for the links, I'll check those out!

Can't think of anyone in Goblet or Order of the Phoenix that would give DH something to sink his acting teeth into, except maybe Mad-Eye? Would like to see him as one of the DADA teachers, though it would probably be a doomed role, think he'd have made a good Lockhart too. He's too cute for Snape though he's got the snark. I'd love to see him as a DADA teacher that has enough attitude to go up against Snape! That would be one MEGA exchange of sarcasm and attitude if DH's character had any of McKay's characteristics!!! Or maybe even as one of Voldemort's main men as I liked the part he played in Cypher, off-beat though it was. What would you go for?
      McKay, "I'm not sure I can fix this."
      Grodin, "You can fix anything."
      McKay, "Who told you that?"
      Grodin, "You did. Several times."

Comment

Originally posted by aaobuttons
        Oh yeah, Rodney was completely oblivious to the whole thing! He's way too ego centric at this stage to realize other people's feelings. But I still say she was flirting!
        What, Rodney? Ego centric????

Actually now I think, she did seem quite...playful... in that scene, but I've always taken the change in her attitude to be the difference between being more relaxed on Earth and being unable to relax her 'leadership' facade in Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
          I haven't seen any of the McKay eps of SG1, but I heard he was a real pain in those. Fans were apparently really worried when he was cast for Atlantis, thinking he was going to be an irritating pain in that too, but I think they were pleasantly surprised when his character was deepened beyond that.
          I want to see the SG1 eps at least for the Rodney/Sam interactions. ("pianist", ha!) There's another ship that's extremely interesting but is never going to be canonized. Still hoping that she's going to pop over to Atlantis next season...
          The Sam/Rodney stuff was the best part. Funnily enough I never hated him in SG1 but then I saw Atlantis first. But I just loved how he got to Sam and brougth out her other side - it was refreshing to have someone picking holes in her theories and not being too wrong either...becuase he did have a point even if he was a bit of a jerk. So I too hope dearly for a crossover, hoping maybe Sam is even on the Daedalus...but that's not likely at all. Still a crossover would work best with Sam and/or Daniel visiting.
          Oh, and I admit I have a major thing for Alan Rickman...gotta be the accent. If DH develops one of those you guys are going to have to gather me up in a bucket.
          Yes, he's very...something indescribable but very very good. Wht's weird is people say he played Snape as cooler than the books which is what makes popel like Snape in the films, along with him being Alan Rickman in general, but I always thought Snape was cooler in the books, even darker - always imagined hm as better than Rickman if that's possible but then I'm a bit twisted and Tom Riddle seemed rather mysteriously infatuating too, especially with the actor who played him and less so in the books - sort of the other way round there.

And God help us if David can do such a British accent, I'm sure it would sounds uberthunkworthy if he could and if the character was meant to be at all like that. But you know I wish I could hear him try. Anyone going to a convention he's at...? You know incase you could ask him to and tape him
          And aaobuttons needs inspiration for fanfic? *digs around for chocolate*
          How did I know you'd bring that up.

Comment

Can't think of anyone in Goblet or Order of the Phoenix that would give DH something to sink his acting teeth into, except maybe Mad-Eye? Would like to see him as one of the DADA teachers, though it would probably be a doomed role, think he'd have made a good Lockhart too. He's too cute for Snape though he's got the snark. I'd love to see him as a DADA teacher that has enough attitude to go up against Snape! That would be one MEGA exchange of sarcasm and attitude if DH's character had any of McKay's characteristics!!! Or maybe even as one of Voldemort's main men as I liked the part he played in Cypher, off-beat though it was. What would you go for?
            He's not old enough for Mad-eye - I just can't see him but I guess maybe with the right makeup it could be believable and he could certainly get into that role I'm sure. Yes, not a snape person but fortunately we already have the wonderful Alan Rickman. I can't necessarily see him as Lockhart but it would be amusing I suppose. I agree he'd make a good DADA teacher though we don't know who the next 2 will be or what they'll be like (if they even have any that is). But him against Snape either as DADA teacher or as a deatheater would be interesting. I could very easiy see him playing a dubous character if not an outright evil treacherous git or like you suggested a main man on voldemorts side. I would love to see him do more baddies - what can I say, a certian aspect of darkness in character is seductive...

Comment

What, Rodney? Ego centric????
              Actually now I think, she did seem quite...playful... in that scene, but I've always taken the change in her attitude to be the difference between being more relaxed on Earth and being unable to relax her 'leadership' facade in Atlantis.
              Well there have been a few times she's been playful, other one I can think of is Sanctuary where she teases him about intuition. It's nice to see someone who takes him as he is and can get him back too. I like their exchanges.

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652

We seem to have been a wee bit picture deficient over the past page or two so I've taken the liberty of re-posting two nice piccies that Watcher652 posted on page 48...
                Man of Science, followed by, Man of Action.
                Last edited by Cassiopeia; 12 April 2005, 09:17 AM.

Comment

We seem to have been a wee bit picture deficient over the past page or two so I've taken the liberty of re-posting two nice piccies that Watcher652 posted on page 48...
                  My eyes keep following the little line on the screen behind him. Tee hee.
                  "You are a distraction who is permanently distracted."~ Ohhhhh...sparkly...
                  "Well, we came, we saw, we got spanked."-Harper (Andromeda)
                  Don't shake that. It's liable to blow up.~L.
                  Ewww! What's that mess on the floor? I think my sanity just broke.
                  "My ovaries are exploding with maternal instinct..." Partylikeits1984 on DH's character on Traders
                  Even if the voices in my head aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas.
                  Very smart people intimidate me. And turn me on. Do you see my problem in the dating game?~Aurore
                  (Same boat. Small World. ~ r-h)

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
                    I can't necessarily see him as Lockhart but it would be amusing I suppose.
                    I admit I was reaching a little. He does 'twitchy' well and Lockhart was very twitchy when challenged.

I agree he'd make a good DADA teacher............. what can I say, a certian aspect of darkness in character is seductive...
                    I SO agree re that 'darkness is seductive' thing. Would you say McKay has a 'darkness' to his character at all? Was just sitting here pondering (like you do when you should be working. Ahem) and I think McKay is the first 'hero' I've liked in a long time who doesn't seem to have an obvious darkness to him although he certainly is a reluctant hero and there's all those snarky traits of his we know and love...

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                      "Major, this is your last warning. Put down the coffee mug!"

Comment

Rodney as Voldermort?! lol! that'd be the day! He's great at Anubis impressions (Redemption) Why not Voldemort?

sigpic
                        Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                        Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
                          Rodney as Voldermort?! lol! that'd be the day! He's great at Anubis impressions (Redemption) Why not Voldemort?
                          Hmmm. Nah. But I can see him playing either a clueless mugge getting got by voldemort or a fearless or ignorant Muggleborn who does a voldemort impression (and then gets got..? Or just teasingly scared afterwards)

Comment

I SO agree re that 'darkness is seductive' thing. Would you say McKay has a 'darkness' to his character at all? Was just sitting here pondering (like you do when you should be working. Ahem) and I think McKay is the first 'hero' I've liked in a long time who doesn't seem to have an obvious darkness to him although he certainly is a reluctant hero and there's all those snarky traits of his we know and love...
                            Hmm. Mckay has a rather different darkness to him than most characters. The part of him that thinks the worst of situations but I feel the darkest part would be how he feels of himself, that he criticises himself most of all; his snarky wit and overanalysis doesn't stop at others but starts from within.

I've read quite a few different fics exploring his darkness. One was brilliant where Sheppard had to expore mckays mind and deal with his Id and Ego. Truly scary. Other ones are where Mckay punishes himself in varous and ot necessarily obvious ways. I think if they ever go for that in the show then David could pull it off so well. It's at this point a potential darkness rather than something established or obvious but it can be there.

Comment

I don't see him as being "dark" per say. I know he's all snarky and self deprecating but to me, it's Sheppard that has the darkness about him. But I do think some darkness is going to come out of McKay eventually. You can see the beginning of it in "The Brotherhood" when he's looking up at Kolya. He's got that bitterness in him that's starting to show and will only build up and get worse. Especially if people keep doing things to him like the Dagan natives.
                              "You are a distraction who is permanently distracted."~ Ohhhhh...sparkly...
                              "Well, we came, we saw, we got spanked."-Harper (Andromeda)
                              Don't shake that. It's liable to blow up.~L.
                              Ewww! What's that mess on the floor? I think my sanity just broke.
                              "My ovaries are exploding with maternal instinct..." Partylikeits1984 on DH's character on Traders
                              Even if the voices in my head aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas.
                              Very smart people intimidate me. And turn me on. Do you see my problem in the dating game?~Aurore
                              (Same boat. Small World. ~ r-h)

Comment

Hiya everyone!

On the new region 2 Atlantis DVD which has The Storm and The Eye on it there is a small behind the scenes clip with David and Torri talking together a little about the water in the episode hehe. I transcribed this for the Torri thread but seeing as it involves our favourite Atlantean Scientist I figured I'd post it here too. It's such a cute interview. They look so at ease being interviewed together.

Here's the transcript. Some was a bit hard to make out from the clip I saw but it should be near enough word for word.

(David and Torri are sitting with their waterbottles. On the screen we get little captions saying Torri Higginson - Dr. Elizabeth Weir and David Hewlett - Dr. Rodney McKay)

David - (looking at Torri and Torri looking at David) You know this is the first time we got wet given that the show's called Atlantis.

(Torri laughs and Davids smiling at the camera)

David - We were (?) surprised to suddenly be in the water (looks at Torri who is smiling). We're lucky we're not sitting here (?) in our bathing suits right now.

Torri - Scuba Diving would be good.

David - Yeah (puts his water bottle on his neck. Torri starts to say something but David kinda cuts in.Torris smiling really sweetly and holding her own water bottle on her neck.) But then it could be stunt people.

Torri - We could be in our trailers smoking and drinking Martinis (laughs)

David - Not that we condone that behaviour.

Comment

Working...
                                X