No announcement yet.

Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ice Men wasn't bad, it had funny scenes, David singing/playing guitar, a hot tub, a bed scene (Yes, pavane, I knew about blondie ), DH playing ice hockey - all in all an interesting film.
    But Cube, Nothing and Treed Murray are still my favourite DH films.

I also liked Cypher and Clutch a lot. And Where the heart is. And DH was great in Traders and in BOSV. And the nice scenes in Century Hotel and Joe'sWedding? The cute hair in Scanners? And... ah heck, in the end every tiny bit of DH is good!

Hockey:

Good night, A.
    Last edited by Arlessiar; 19 June 2006, 08:56 PM.
    ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
    ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Arlessiar
      But Cube, Nothing and Treed Murray are still my favourite DH films.
      My 3 favorites too! If I had to rank them it be this:
      Nothing
      Treed Murray
      Cube

...in the end every tiny bit of DH is good!
      Very true!

sig by Pandora's_Box

Comment

Wait...what 'bits' are we talking about here?

sigpic
        Sig by im_meli
        More random Hewlett nerdery on my LJ

Comment

god damn it, i have to get treed murray. i know it's one of his best but living in england makes it really hard to get anything from america.
          :goes off sulking:

just walked the campbells, david was soo cute in it. i love his grin. it's unique.

Sig made by Suekay.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry
            Mmm.. I meant "jerk" in the most loving, positive way? I did, tho! He comes off as a jerk. It's not jsut his arrogance, because people can be arrogant and still treat people kindly. Perhaps the combination of arrogance and self-centredness, the fact he doesn't bother being nice to people - TBH now that I think of it, it's better than the arrogant & nice, which usually comes off as condescending.

Trinity.
            Spoiler:
            I dind't see it as bashing him, at all. I thought it was a great protrayel of who Rodney is - the moment he knows a man is dead and truely believes - that's what I got from it, at any rate - that the only way to honour the dead red-shirt is to continue the research, make his death worth something. That's a wonderful quality to be protrayed, IMHO. The point was exactly, again MHO, to show how Rodney acts when he has to face the fact he was wrong. When there're no excuses, no clever comments to be told, MCKay screwed up and he knows it. But it's one of my favourite McKay episodes to date, so..
            Well there is nothing like flogging a dead horse.

As has been said numerous times.... He didn't screw up on his own
            Spoiler:

and that is/was my main point. Yes he screwed up but so did Weir/Sheppard and even Caldwell. McKay was the only one to be seen to be held accountable, sorry but that is just wrong maybe yes if you see this as a McKay episode then it was right to only show him getting told off, but I saw it as more a team episode heavy on the *faux* science for a change.

Anyway they are meant to be the best and brightest *apparently not so bright* so there are no excuses for Weir or Sheppard in any of this; I really don't want to get into blaming the other characters either in this thread but it is very hard not too when it is so blatant that they are written in a way as to let them as the leads get off scot free.

I also understand that moment in "Trinity" but do you seriously think most fans have that in mind when they talk about McKay and "Trinity"? That is also my point; as a McKay fan I can go to those moments to say he has his heart in the right place and that he does care about Atlantis and it's people; but I know other fans will point to that same episode as a reason to bash the character, and yes I know he is fictional but it still erks to hear people using that episode as a good example to say McKay is a screw up and he is not as good as Sam and worse when they start saying he needs to be removed, but who can blame them when TPTB make him the fall guy so many times, it may not always be as apparent in other episodes but it is still there.

As I said I know the other characters screw up but it never seems to be as bad or as blatant as with McKay. I don't care so much about other fans opinions *is it that obvious* but when it comes to McKay it seems to bring out the silly and facile posters, a good argument is what I like but so often they want to get rid of McKay and that is that. [/slight off-topic rant]

Maybe I am too focused on his character *no really* but I have read far too many negative interpretations of what he did in "Trinity" to believe that it helped to develop his character in a good way, really it didn't; he and the others learnt nothing from what happened that is how they got into the mess they are in now being too ready to believe things because they want or need something. Bad leadership all round.

A fan once told David Hewlett, it was in the beginning of SGA, never to lose Rodney’s snark (don’t know the exact quote anymore). I laughed when I heard that, because I couldn’t imagine how important it would become, that one day people really would want this snarkiness to vanish. Now I can only hope that DH and TPTB will stick to what this fan said.
            The quote was (I think this was the one) ... you know I have it at hand.

DH said;
            "My fear when I got the role actually confronted me when we were at ComicCon. A fan walked up to me and said, “Don’t lose McKay.” And we have to watch for that. He doesn’t say or do the right thing. He’s a misogynist, and he doesn’t play well with others. As long as you maintain that you’re okay."

DH is right McKay doesn't play well with others but fans of the "others" will and do get easily tired of McKay, that is up to the writers, TPTB need to find a good middle ground and so far IMHO they haven't; as much as I like the MG episodes I see major damage being done to the snarky McKay I loved in SG-1 and as much as I hate the idea of Robert Cooper writing more eps for SGA maybe they need him to write some McKay moments to bring back the snark.

I don't see whining as snark.

Comment

I thought season 1 had a good balance. It was in season 2 that McKay really started to become the butt of everything.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
              Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by pavaneofstars
                My 3 favorites too! If I had to rank them it be this:
                Nothing
                Treed Murray
                Cube
                Those are my top three in movies where he's a main character (though, The Triangle was fun to watch...)

Top 3 fave supporting character movies:
                Cypher
                The Life Before This
                Darklight

See the Clips | IMDB site | Official Site
                ---------------------------------------------
                Proud Rodney McKay Thunker | Proud Jayne Cobb Thunker | Keeper of the M.A.L.P.-on-a-Stick

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
                  I thought season 1 had a good balance. It was in season 2 that McKay really started to become the butt of everything.
                  I agree with that, I am not sure when it started to change (there was the Siege 3 stuff but Runner was also fairly unbalanced *as discussed*) but it has changed and yes Season one McKay cannot seriously be compared to Season two, there was definitely a shift in his character and it wasn't necessarily for the better.

On a positive note *yes I can be positive, if I don't think too hard about it * he at least gets a good share of the screen-time, and even if he doesn't always have a purpose in an episode you can't miss him. And I still think despite everything; in my pure fan mode... he is the best thing about SGA, he has more personality and character depth in his little finger then the others put together.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Phoniex
                    god damn it, i have to get treed murray. i know it's one of his best but living in england makes it really hard to get anything
                    Treed Murray is available in the UK through Amazon.co.uk as the American release under the title "Get Down", it is also available often on eBay, I have seen it listed in the UK on eBay in the past as both Treed Murray and Get Down. Yes you will need a player set to, or able to be set to multi region but that is not a biggy these days. It is listed as an "R" rated movie so be aware of that.
                    Cube, Nothing and Treed Murray are still my favourite DH films
                    My fave David Hewlett films? *Out of the ones I have seen anyway*

1. Nothing (fun movie, bizarre ideas I just love, love, love it!)

2. Where the heart is... (funny and cute)
                    3. Clutch (so whumped)
                    4. CUBE (underwear!!! and Eek! )
                    5. Ice Men (he sings and has really bad hair)
                    6. Cypher (one great moment/scene and he stole it completely)
                    7. Joe's Wedding (can I say funny and cute again? TEAPOT!!!)
                    8. The Boys of St Vincent (heart wrenching/ he takes his top off!!!)
                    9. P.I.N (bizarre, weird and interesting)
                    10. Century Hotel (for obvious reasons HOT!!!)

You know just thinking about those films he really does as we say in Australia, nude up a lot.

(Treed Murry didn't really do it for me, but he does look good in a suit and tie)

Comment

Originally posted by MahliaBelonn
                      I think I need to join you all with the scrubbing brush... actually no... I like the direction my mind is going at the moment!! It is better than my reality at the moment!

I am sleep deprived at the moment as Photoshop has taken over my life. I spent hours last night just making my new sig. Most of the time was spent searching for just the right pics to crop. If anyone can name all 18 of the pairs of eyes I must just be convinced to trawl through my screencap archives for new David pics... Ok maybe not all 18... But if you all don't recognise at least one pair then you should be ashamed of yourselves as thunkers!!

Did that just make any sense? I am sleep deprived and it is showing!

Mahlia
                      Oooh, a challenge! I'm going to attempt to scare myself:

Spoiler:
                      Top row:

1st pic: Dirk Benedict
                      3rd pic: Paul Michael Glasser
                      5th pic: Martin Henderson

Second Row:

1st pic: David Hewlett (I'd be really worried if people here didn't get that!)
                      3rd pic: Jason Isaccs (can't remember how to spell that)
                      4th pic: Dominic Keating

Third row:

1st pic: David McCallum
                      2nd pic: Paul McGillion
                      3rd pic: Garret Maggart (spell?--Blair from The Sentinel)

Fourth row:

1st pic: Viggo Mortinsen
                      3rd pic: Michael Shanks
                      4th pic: Brent Spiner
                      5th pic: Connor Trinneer

Okay, it's official, I've scared myself

Comment

Okay, just got my shiny new copy of "The Triangle" from amazon.com
                        Here are some caps...I tried to do pics that I hadn't seen before:
                        Spoiler:

Enjoy!
                        Last edited by Tracker; 20 June 2006, 09:59 AM.

See the Clips | IMDB site | Official Site
                        Proud Rodney McKay Thunker | Proud Jayne Cobb Thunker | Keeper of the M.A.L.P.-on-a-Stick

Comment

You know we got just past over 13,000 posts?!? Yay! us

Yay! David/Rodney.

Yes still waiting for new 'solo' promo pics. Still this is worth looking at again.

Tracker that cap stretches the thread (which I know other threads ignore but not in here, not a chance with me around ) can you please add it to the spoiler tags or shrink it?

Comment

I still haven´t seen lots of David´s movies. I saw Nothing, Treed Murray,Cube, Clutch, and, of course, Ice Men. I think Nothing is the best-the red shirt drives me mad

We all are waiting for promo photos. Do you think they will be better than this? :

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

The cute hair in Scanners?

My kind of guy:
                              "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                              Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                              (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
                                Up until Trinity, anyway. I think season 2 got a lot darker, and lost a lot of the fun banter and comic interplay between John and Rodney. It's not so much that he became the butt of everything, but that they stopped having lighter interactions involving Rodney. After Trinity they seemed to recognise this, and tried to bring some of it back- Inferno is a good example, so is Aurora.
                                sigpic
                                My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

Working...
                                X