Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trialia
    Where are you from? If you're from North America I can easily see how you wouldn't hear it.
    Yes, I am. Speaking of accents, I saw online once something about it shows you are obsessed with Stargate if you start saying things like "sweet" and "ya think?" (from O'neill) I was surprised. I say things like that all the time, have since before I ever saw Stargate. Are these localized phrases or what? I thought everybody said them...

Comment

Originally posted by gambit
      Joe grew up in Reno, Nevada I believe.
      *nods* I was getting a southwestern impression, so I guess that fits.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizabeth
        Yes, I am. Speaking of accents, I saw online once something about it shows you are obsessed with Stargate if you start saying things like "sweet" and "ya think?" (from O'neill) I was surprised. I say things like that all the time, have since before I ever saw Stargate. Are these localized phrases or what? I thought everybody said them...
        Haha. It's when you start saying "Indeed." like Teal'c that you get'n trouble. But I've been saying "Sweet!" for many years before I ever even saw Stargate. It's "frell" and "smeg" I picked up most from my sci-fi fandoms...

Comment

Originally posted by gooner_diva
          Spoiler:
          Doctor Who?
          LOL!

I don't hear any accent on Joe either, but that's 'cause I have the same one.
          Make it spin!

Comment

I'm from the midwest, so I can definitely hear the more laid-back, southwestern drawl that Joe has. I actually like his accent very much. As for "speaking stargate", I say "indeed" and "fer cryin' out loud" like nobody's business. It's a problem now.

Edit: Can I just say "guh" to The Return piccies?
            Spoiler:
            Lizzie's wearing all black (you can glimpse a black t-shirt under her jacket), plus she's right up next to John, who's in his t-shirt, and ... guh. It may be shallow, but it's too dang hot.
            sigpic

Comment

Speaking as an American west coast-er myself, I don't hear any accent from him.
              "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
              My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by Lizabeth
                It's funny how often dialects and accents come up in this thread. Joe does sound like a bit of a cross between West Coast and Midwest, which fits with him having grown up in Nevada. Torri and Amanda sound so Canadian it's not even funny, though Torri's is less pronounced than Amanda's most of the time. (Er, no pun intended.) The thing is that American actors who study formally learn American Broadcast English, so many of them have little of their native accents left when they speak on camera. Joe Flanigan's accent is not that huge, but it's there in the way he pronounces some of his vowels, like the short A.
                Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                Last update: 14 April 2006
                Melyanna's Multimedia
                Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
                  It's funny how often dialects and accents come up in this thread. Joe does sound like a bit of a cross between West Coast and Midwest, which fits with him having grown up in Nevada. Torri and Amanda sound so Canadian it's not even funny, though Torri's is less pronounced than Amanda's most of the time. (Er, no pun intended.) The thing is that American actors who study formally learn American Broadcast English, so many of them have little of their native accents left when they speak on camera. Joe Flanigan's accent is not that huge, but it's there in the way he pronounces some of his vowels, like the short A.
                  Actually, as I've said before, I can hear her time in England in Torri's voice as well as Canada, so perhaps that's why her Canadian accent sounds less pronounced to you.

Comment

Actually, as I've said before, I can hear her time in England in Torri's voice as well as Canada, so perhaps that's why her Canadian accent sounds less pronounced to you.
                    Hasn't Torri lived all over the place? I'm always so entertained because she seems to bounce back and forth in her accent, at least in my untrained ears. I always think I hear a bit of English coming from David, though I'm not sure when he moved from England to Canada. Anyways, sorry for the OTness.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RoryJ
                      Hasn't Torri lived all over the place? I'm always so entertained because she seems to bounce back and forth in her accent, at least in my untrained ears. I always think I hear a bit of English coming from David, though I'm not sure when he moved from England to Canada. Anyways, sorry for the OTness.
                      Pretty much, yeah. As I said, it's not so hard to tell. I love her accent.

Comment

Who knew a little comment about Joe's accent would spark so much interest? LOL. Yeah, so if he grew up in Nevada then I was completely off with my Nebraska-y guess. It's not really as noticeable as most accents but like Melyanna said, it does come out when he pronounces certain words.

Onto some Sparky-ness...I felt bad because I have neglected this ship since becoming obsessed with Daniel/Vala over on SG-1...so I decided to make it up by making another wallpaper. Enjoy!

Click on the link below to see the full-sized picture:
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...-OceanWall.jpg

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I always find it amusing when someone says a person sounds English. How do you 'sound English' when they're are so many regional dialects? Sometimes I'd love to have an outsiders ear.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyLizzie
                            I always find it amusing when someone says a person sounds English. How do you 'sound English' when they're are so many regional dialects? Sometimes I'd love to have an outsiders ear.
                            Oh, I know. But it is there. A certain southern lilt in her voice. Listen to her during that coffee conversation in Intruder, I can hear it there.

Comment

Spoiler:
                              If there is, it'll probably make up for Phantoms I'm fairly tentative about tonight's episode, given rumours...

Hmmmm....
                              Spoiler:
                              I'm not too concerned about tonight's episode, mostly because it's so unlike anyone in the know to actually come out and say that person a and person b are going to admit they love each other in episode x. They love to drop hints and play games. I mean, look at Conversion, the whole episode was so intensely Sparky it wasn't even funny, but what did TPTB talk about? That's right, the kiss between morphingintobug!John and Teyla.

I'm guessing the rumors about Phantoms will be the same way. No one will ever come right out and give us the whole truth, so I'm assuming that the "truth about what Teyla and John mean to each other" won't have anything to do with them declaring their everlasting love for each other.

I guess I'll just have to wait a couple of hours to see though.

Originally posted by RoryJ
                              Can I just say "guh" to The Return piccies?

Spoiler:
                              Lizzie's wearing all black (you can glimpse a black t-shirt under her jacket), plus she's right up next to John, who's in his t-shirt, and ... guh. It may be shallow, but it's too dang hot.
                              Us? Shallow? You've got to be kidding me .
                              Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with admitting your OTP is all kinds of gorgeous, because I mean, look at them!

“Le monde a tellement de regrets
                              Tellement de choses qu'on promet.
                              Une seule pour laquelle je suis fait
                              Je t'aimais, je t'aime et je t'aimerai...”

~ Francis Cabrel

Comment

Now that you mention it, I suppose that Joe does have a bit of an accent... I just haven't noticed it before! I adore Torri's accent, it is so cute!!

I've been told that people from around where I have grown up have a bit of an accent, but I never really realized it until somebody pointed it out. Huh...
                                My Myspace (doesn't that seem redundant?)

Sig courtesy of Whistler84, R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                                X