Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LurkerLa
    Actually, while we can blame Mel for a number of vids and some great fics, the fault for the Coldplay association actually lies with Hatcheter for his vid "39:30 - Then You'll Understand" (available here, along with a number of other Sparky vids).

And now I must go rewatch that, along with a few other favorites. Great, and I meant to be doing productive stuff, too.
    Yeah, it's not my vid. I'm flattered, though, to be confused with Hatch, as his vids are much better than mine.
    Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
    Last update: 14 April 2006
    Melyanna's Multimedia
    Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

*steals Sally_Lizzie's fic rec thunder for a moment*

Better to Ask Forgiveness

Too cute!!
      "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
      My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by SallyLizzie
        Well if you haven't read it, try Future Imperfect over at JE
        ooh! I read this over on LJ the other day. I liked it so much I've read it about 3 more times since then.
        In my personal opinion, it's one of the best 'child' fics that I've read...so far.
        Last edited by Major_Moomin; 07 March 2006, 01:27 AM.
        hh

Torri Higginson on Elizabeth Weir: "She likes to pilfer things from all the little neigbouring planets; That's cute, carve me one now!"

LEADERSHIP: Why fix what ain't broke? Save Elizabeth Weir

Keep Elizabeth Weir as a REGULAR!

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
          Yeah, it's not my vid. I'm flattered, though, to be confused with Hatch, as his vids are much better than mine.
          And now you flatter me.

I'm thinking I ought to vid another song from that album, to go for the hat trick. Maybe Swallowed in the Sea, one of my other favorites.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
            And now you flatter me.

I'm thinking I ought to vid another song from that album, to go for the hat trick. Maybe Swallowed in the Sea, one of my other favorites.
            You should do it! You know you want to Hatch! And I know it will be another great vid.
            ~Athena

Comment

Hmmmm...Something brought up over on the 'Shep' thread...

Would it bother you guys or alter your view of this ship in some way if Elizabeth were say a couple/few years older than John? I just noticed some of them saying that they felt that Weir was a little older than Shep (perhaps due to her Atlantis assignment) and while we know Torri is in reality younger than Joe is, we're simply not 'sure' on the ages of the characters. I've always looked at them as being 'about' the same age (as they are in RL). John is a Colonel and honestly, most of those are at least in their 40s that I've been aware of. But you know, I don't think I'd mind a bit and actually, I might like it even better in some ways if John were supposed to be a little behind Elizabeth. I'll have to ponder on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bama

Would it bother you guys or alter your view of this ship in some way if Elizabeth were say a couple/few years older than John? I just noticed some of them saying that they felt that Weir was a little older than Shep (perhaps due to her Atlantis assignment) and while we know Torri is in reality younger than Joe is, we're simply not 'sure' on the ages of the characters. I've always looked at them as being 'about' the same age (as they are in RL). John is a Colonel and honestly, most of those are at least in their 40s that I've been aware of. But you know, I don't think I'd mind a bit and actually, I might like it even better in some ways if John were supposed to be a little behind Elizabeth. I'll have to ponder on it.
                The official bios from the studio have John and Liz both mid to late 30's. If Lizzie were older, who cares. I'm 5 years older than my husband.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                  The official bios from the studio have John and Liz both mid to late 30's. If Lizzie were older, who cares. I'm 5 years older than my husband.
                  Well my sister-in-law is 8 years older than my brother. They're married and have a 5 month old son. Goes to show that age is just a number...
                  hh

Torri Higginson on Elizabeth Weir: "She likes to pilfer things from all the little neigbouring planets; That's cute, carve me one now!"

LEADERSHIP: Why fix what ain't broke? Save Elizabeth Weir

Keep Elizabeth Weir as a REGULAR!

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten
                    *steals Sally_Lizzie's fic rec thunder for a moment*

Better to Ask Forgiveness

Too cute!!
                    I was just about to read that at LJ

*reclaims thunder...kinda*

Vid (23Mb, WMP format). Still Holding Out For You by Shedaisy. Vid by Kerry (unspokenlonging)

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Moomin
                      Well my sister-in-law is 8 years older than my brother. They're married and have a 5 month old son. Goes to show that age is just a number...
                      I'm the poster child for "age is just a number." I'd love it if she were older, but I've always thought of them as close to the same age. I know a Lt.Col in the Air Force who's 36 and another one who is 42. Both promoted this year. The younger is a pilot and the older a rocket scientist. So with John's little situation, I would expect he's on the older side. My son's friends who went to the Air Force Academy are Captains now and waiting out that long stretch to Major. It also depends on when you enlist, but since we have NO BACKSTORY on John we don't know when that was do we? Oh and a bit of info for any fic writers who want to have John an Academy grad. You need a Congressional appointment for that. It's a long arduous process. You don't just enroll like in a normal college. Good plot bunny there actually.

I've noticed a lot of brave souls posting over on the Sheppard Discussion and Appreciation thread which seems to be in a bit of an uproar. I'm going to continue checking in over there. That seems like a place TPTB could go to see what the fans think about him. Hopefully the good points can be emphasized with intelligent discussion of things we'd like to see changed without anyone thinking we hate him. Some minds are closed, but I have high hopes that common sense will rule. I know I'm a cockeyed optimist.

The whole age thing just sounds like the "anybody but Weir" bandwagon to me.
                      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
                        And now you flatter me.

MORE VIDS YAY!!

Sally, we need to start bugging certain people...

Hmm, this is rather off topic so how 'bout I post this:

~La (I used to be a lurker, but this place just sucks you in...)
                        The Nameless Forest. Also, my LJ, where you can find my fic attempts.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red
                          I've noticed a lot of brave souls posting over on the Sheppard Discussion and Appreciation thread which seems to be in a bit of an uproar. I'm going to continue checking in over there. That seems like a place TPTB could go to see what the fans think about him. Hopefully the good points can be emphasized with intelligent discussion of things we'd like to see changed without anyone thinking we hate him. Some minds are closed, but I have high hopes that common sense will rule.
                          I could not believe how a few people blame Shep/Weir shippers for starting Shep hate and the Shep Anti-Kirk movement. If we hated Shep, why would we be hanging out as Shep/Weir shippers? Makes no sense!

The writers took Shep down a weird path the back half of the season and I'm not going to go along with it just because he is HOT looking. I don't dislike the character, I just don't like some of his behavior recently and I'll vent about it all I want.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red
                            Oh and a bit of info for any fic writers who want to have John an Academy grad. You need a Congressional appointment for that. It's a long arduous process. You don't just enroll like in a normal college. Good plot bunny there actually.
                            You know, I honestly can't see John as an Academy graduate. I could definitely see him having been courted by the service academies and getting annoyed by it (as I was ), but he probably opted for a "real" college experience and ROTC. I think the reason that we see John as an Academy alumnus so often in fics is that people don't realize that the Academies graduate a very small percentage of the officer corps. Most of them come from ROTC or OTS.

On a different and somewhat surprising note, there are new spoilers out for Sateda. This episode looks to be a bit weird, but I think I'll reserve judgment until I've read the sides for myself.
                            Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                            Last update: 14 April 2006
                            Melyanna's Multimedia
                            Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

*chuckling* You know, Melyanna, when I saw that you were the last poster in this thread I was like "a-ahhhh! new chapter of IR???" and all excited that it might be. I'm such a mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Bama

nope wouldn't bother me or my ship at all. Age differences like that matter when you're .... 19 and your BF is 16. That happened to my friend and OMG it wasn't a pleasant relationship. John and Liz, however, are both mature adults (ok one of them doesn't act so mature sometimes) so I don't see why this could be a problem. But I don't see how Elizabeth could possibly be older than Sheppard. She looks so young.. and .. Torri is even younger looking without all that make up. Just look at the convention pictures

Comment

Working...
                                X