Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bama
    But how do you *stop* the feelings if they're there anyway? How do either of them help themselves by keeping them all bottled up? How does that really help the commandship? If love and feelings from one man to a woman and vice-versa could be totally controlled, I could see the rationale of them getting a grip but we all know it's not the case. Still, I do understand the questions and it's not wrong for us or caldwell or anyone to ask them. It's up to shep and weir to handle situations and their feelings for each other the best of their ability and still get the job done together.
    I can see where you're coming from, regulations/social faux-pas won't stop the feelings, but the thing is, the rule isn't there *just* for Shep and Weir - it's for everyone. For John and Liz it's possible that it could work out, but for another two people in a similar situation it wouldn't.

The military has this regulation as a general thing. They can't go sorting the couples into groups, it just wouldn't work, so it ends up that the ones who couldn't handle it ruin it for the ones who could. It's unfair, but... that's life.

OK, did that make any sense?? I am so sorry. I'm going to sleep now.
    Fugly Space Babes: Spork one for Weir!
    Hussy of Babylon ~ Member of UHM

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
      Torri herself has acknowledge this problem at the recent Australasian conventions... the nature of Weir's position and how she has to be emotionally isolated from the rest of expedition. It's a very lonely job.
      Torri also described TLG as her favourite episode so far. I was surprised by that, and wondered what would make it a better episode for her character than BIS. It's obvious from all the spoilers that this is going to be a huge episode for Elizabeth... personally, physically... in every way possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Buggy542
        I can see where you're coming from, regulations/social faux-pas won't stop the feelings, but the thing is, the rule isn't there *just* for Shep and Weir - it's for everyone. For John and Liz it's possible that it could work out, but for another two people in a similar situation it wouldn't.

The military has this regulation as a general thing. They can't go sorting the couples into groups, it just wouldn't work, so it ends up that the ones who couldn't handle it ruin it for the ones who could. It's unfair, but... that's life.

OK, did that make any sense?? I am so sorry. I'm going to sleep now.
        I think Hatch has scoured the globe and has found no evidence of any such 'rule' that would keep the two of them from a personal relationship. The only 'rule' that would drive them is 'appearance sake' and their own personal ethical stances.

They're no different than say beckett and cadman other than they lead their respective 'divisions'. I think if you look upon them as 'co-leaders' as I do essentially with John over the military aspects and Elizabeth over the atlantis homebase of ops then it doesn't seem so conflicting. Yes, they have to work together but there's not a professional conflict of interest at work here. There's no competition between the science and military. They function seperately, yet hand in hand-much like shep and weir. Is shep any more or less her confidant if he's in love with her or she him or if they're sleeping together? Sure, it's adding a complication they both would probably rather not have but in time, the unaddressed feelings will be the silent elephant in the room causing even more problems. I say, better to face it as it comes and slowly learn it and adjust to it.

Sleep well bug.

Comment

But how do you *stop* the feelings if they're there anyway? How do either of them help themselves by keeping them all bottled up? How does that really help the commandship? If love and feelings from one man to a woman and vice-versa could be totally controlled, I could see the rationale of them getting a grip but we all know it's not the case. Still, I do understand the questions and it's not wrong for us or caldwell or anyone to ask them. It's up to shep and weir to handle situations and their feelings for each other the best of their ability and still get the job done together.

It all comes down to perception by the higher ups. But then I don't really care what happens too much in that regard. I might find it interesting. As long as I think Shep and Weir are doing their jobs and not letting their feelings for each other cloud their judgments too much.

It's the fandom I'm worried about. There are those who would be calling for Elizabeth to be hung by her toenails if things got in further between these two. Heck even now I can hardly find a friendship fanfic with mainly Sheppard and Mckay that has Weir in it without her being portrayed in a bad way. Not that their's many Shep, Mckay friendship fic out there with all the slash.

That's one thing I've found in other fandoms. The female characters if half a ship pairing get trashed to make the male characters look good wonderful and perfect.

Comment

I think Hatch has scoured the globe and has found no evidence of any such 'rule' that would keep the two of them from a personal relationship. The only 'rule' that would drive them is 'appearance sake' and their own personal ethical stances.
            Not only has Hatch not found a rule that says "thou shalt not sleep with the civilian you work for," the truth of the matter is that the fraternization regulations aren't nearly so hard and fast as TPTB or the Air Force PR people would have us believe. The infamous "don't ask, don't tell" rule applies to all relationships, not just homosexual ones, and the truth of the matter is that people aren't told to stop a relationship unless it starts interfering with work. Of course, this policy isn't really supposed to be public knowledge, so that's why the AF told them to back off Sam/Jack. I suspect that's the same reason that we didn't hear anything more about Jack's career in special ops after the second season of SG-1. Those kinds of things don't officially happen, so the show can't really use them. I've thought that it would have been really interesting to have Sam and Jack start a relationship and end up getting in trouble over it and have to deal with the consequences, but that was never going to happen, since it'd have two decorated officers committing a court-martialable offense.

But in this case, as has been so often stated, there isn't an actual rule written down that would make this relationship against regulations, unlike, say, Shep/Teyla. (Yep, despite the fact that Teyla isn't even from the Milky Way, regulations say that John can't get involved with her.) The only thing that stands in the way here is personal ethics. And as Bama has said, those feelings are there whether there are actions to back them up or not. So the fear that emotions will get in the way of decision-making seems kind of silly to me, because even if Elizabeth and John were to decide that they can't pursue a relationship because it might affect their objectivity, the feelings that could result in subjectivity would still be there. And it seems that Elizabeth doesn't necessarily have a problem with being close to her inner circle, or even, as we saw in Intruder, with having a significant other under her command.
            Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
            Last update: 14 April 2006
            Melyanna's Multimedia
            Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

We went over this a long time ago, but it's still funny: Check out where his foot is.
              Oh Buggy, my eyes just couldn't help but zoom right in on that foot.

Comment

We went over this a long time ago, but it's still funny: Check out where his foot is.
                ROTFLMAO!!!!!
                ..::!SAVE DR. ELIZABETH WEIR!::..

Comment

HAHAHAHAH. And they are looking right at each other. Reminds me of the weir slap from one of the earliest eps.

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

You misunderstand me... I'm not saying that feelings cannot find expression in a full-blown relationship but what I'm saying is that such a relationship will have its complexities. It's like when actors and celebrities fall in love with each other and declare it to the world. It doesn't mean that they suddenly become bad actors but it does mean that they will be subject to pressures most of us will fortunately never have to face. Their lives come under heavy scrutiny and the very nature of their occupation will test and try them. Like it or not, these stressors will affect the outcome of the decisions that they make. Their "charisma" singles them out from the general populace, and yes... it is unfair... but that's life unfortunately. This is why celeb marriages aren't known to last terribly long because their ability to hold it together is always tested to the extreme.
                    I like the idea of Sheppard and Weir... but they will have obstacles... Not because I don't think they should be together but because the situation that they're in will make it that much harder for them. What I'm saying is that I'd like TPTB to explore these issues and not skirt them.
                    Last edited by Easter Lily; 07 December 2005, 09:20 PM.
                    sigpic
                    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

So quiet here tonight.... where is everyone?
                      Sapph, I know you're there, girl!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skyler
                        I don't know if these are spoiler questions but...
                        Spoiler:
                        What episode was the jar with mints in? And the carpet thing? Can someone explain it to me?

What song where you listening to Dorka?
                        There weren't actually mints in...it's just an imagination from us fans and the carpet-thing is a sort of continuation of me

By the song I meant "beyond the night" by Rachel Lutrell... maybe I should write longer sentences next time

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
                          So quiet here tonight.... where is everyone?
                          Sapph, I know you're there, girl!!!

I'm here... *waves* and will post my Fanfic soon

Comment

Originally posted by Dorka
                            I'm here... *waves* and will post my Fanfic soon

Excellent! I'll be waiting! Nice to see someone else here ...

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
                              Excellent! I'll be waiting! Nice to see someone else here ...
                              *g* yeah only Australia and Europe is awake right now, Americans still sleeping
                              Last edited by Dorka; 08 December 2005, 12:52 AM.

Comment

So, finally I uploaded the Fanfic.

Afterthoughts

Thanks again to LurkerLa for beta

Comment

Working...
                                X