No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
    I was watching the season one episodes again. Pretty sure I shipped them since 'Rising'.
    Awesome. I think a lot of us did, too. Sounds like it's time for a Season 1 rewatch!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Appropriately magical, if I may say so myself.
    Very magical, indeed!
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Oops... now that you mention it. I can still add it in.
      only if you want. I'm lazy and don't want to go back and repost so I think it is fine
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrscopterdoc View Post
        only if you want. I'm lazy and don't want to go back and repost so I think it is fine
        Were I to simply upload it under the same name, it should correct itself. However, if it's okay, then I'll leave it.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Were I to simply upload it under the same name, it should correct itself. However, if it's okay, then I'll leave it.
          oh sweet! then go for it, if you want. I am all about keeping things simple, and no stress.
          sigpic

Comment

oh sweet! then go for it, if you want. I am all about keeping things simple, and no stress.
            Okay.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Well, this has taken me three attempts to write. I've fallen asleep each night and ended up with the computer hibernating on this page

*tries to be helpful*

Nope, can't remember.

Alicia Vega - which took me a while to find since I mixed up my seasons and thought S&R was season 4.

Aw, you are always so helpful I remember the character being much hyped, and there being some fuss about her being killed off, but with the harsh editing the character suffered, it wouldn't have even raised my eyebrow if I had just watched the episodes without spoilers, and without fandom.

Don Davis and Corin Nemec were the first Stargate actors I met, and Don was indeed a brilliant human being. I'll never forget that meeting ever. And Corin wrote my name wrong.
              Ahhh, Corin. I always felt a bit bad for him. I don't know about him personally/behind the scenes, but I did like his character (at the time, I didn't like that they were trying to have him be smarter than Carter), and was quite annoyed they wrote Jonas out in favour of Jackson.

I also remember asking why his belt was undone in your photos Turns out it was just a really big belt

Nope, haven't. Wouldn't even know where, it's not like she gets invited much to nearby conventions.
              Aw. We need to fix this. Somehow

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
              And yet they went with McKeller. That one didn't stick IMHO. It slid down the wall and melted like a gob of warm Jello.

I think most of this was discussed at one time or another in great detail. I agree with you totally. Before I got heavily into the Sparky thread, I assumed they were going with Sheyla. The lead up to Conversion with the TV Guide cover and all was like a huge neon sign, but then the actual episode drove a stake in the heart of that ship IMHO. Afterwards, I took a step back and realized that they had said something along the lines of there was going to be a change in the John/Teyla relationship. We again just assumed it was going to be a move forward in the ship, not a move backwards. Again IMHO.[/quote]

I should really watch that episode again, just to refresh my thoughts on it. That's an odd way to promote it. I do recall listening to the commentary for that episode and being somewhat dismayed at their flippant remarks to what looked like assault. I feel for Gero here. You can see what he was going for - something indicative of feelings, something romantic. That was not communicated properly to the director, nor to Joe and Rachel. He even said he played around in the editing room because it didn't turn out how he wanted (although....it was a small part of one scene, involving two regular characters, it would have been easy to go back and re-shoot). I would have assumed it would be a step forward too, but they seemed to drop the idea like a hot brick. You have to look really hard at that last scene to get ship from it, and even harder for the next three years.

As for the next idea in your post, I also agree totally with that. Torri wasn't around much. She filmed her scenes in a day or two, while the others were there all day every day. I think the friendships were formed accordingly. Putting Joe and Rachel together would have been as awkward for them as it was for David and Jewel, and it would have shown on screen. The writers were just so in love with Jewel, they couldn't imagine anyone not having chemistry with her. And the fact that Rachel was so beautiful also clouded their judgement. If you listen to the commentaries from S1, you'll see that.
              Yes, they did love Jewel. I still can't figure out whether Martin Wood was fibbing, trying to put a spin on it, being sarcastic, genuinely believed it, or was only going on what he'd been told when he said how much the audience loved her.

Now that it has come out that they at least considered Sparky, we know they were aware of it, but they refused to admit it at any point previously. That should have been a clue, I guess, in that they were trying to keep their options open and not tip their hand, but they caused a huge ship war by not clarifying. Which, to them, might have been a good thing.
              I think Sam/Jack was their biggest flop in terms of ship, and it scared them. They wrote themselves into a corner, then had this 'issue' with the characters for the next seven or eight years that they couldn't resolve. How many "you must get over it" episodes did we have for those two? That may have affected their judgement regarding putting any other couple together until the last possible moment

Oh gosh, I cringe all the time. They keep shipping the old guys like Stallone, Eastwood, etc with girls young enough to be their granddaughters.
              But somehow, that's considered realistic in hollywood

I just had to quote this part for its sheer awesomeness. Good memories.
              Those girls were brilliant

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
              If you want to see (most of) Joe's panel talk in Ottawa here is a link to four vids from the con:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHJWV34mJXsE
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IlbeT2czGE
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miNTntbtchY
              They were taken and posted by Maeve and Sandra Sarazin
              Thank you I hope to watch them soon
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                Thank you for that. They were interesting. Who knew after all this time, there was still new information to come out? Joe does an excellent job of clarifying his opinion on a lot of things, and I love how he was so open to Sparky. Plus, he says he disagrees with TPTB about him and Torri not having screen chemistry. Everything he says just makes me mad at TPTB all over again.
                It's hard not to love Joe sometimes

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Was up early watching NASA TV for the test launch of the new Orion spacecraft from Florida; they just scrubbed today's attempt due to a valve issue. Trying again tomorrow morning.

Oooooh, it just burns me. And it just goes to show once again that TPTW had been totally out of touch with both the cast and the fans' observations on the characters.
                They had chemistry even when she was in a coma. Both times. Arguably even more chemistry.

this beautiful advent was made by Falcon Horus
                Appropriately magical, if I may say so myself.
                Beautiful
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                  They had chemistry even when she was in a coma. Both times. Arguably even more chemistry.
                  I don't know whether that's funny, sad, or both. Probably both.

"Our ship has more chemistry than yours even when we're comatose, neener neener neener!"
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                    I don't know whether that's funny, sad, or both. Probably both.

"Our ship has more chemistry than yours even when we're comatose, neener neener neener!"
                    I didn't mean it to be funny, although when you quoted it it made me laugh

Infirmary scenes generally go two (it's more than that, but for simplicities sake, let's say two) way. Friendship/concern, or more. On Stargate, the scenes that spring to mind for ship are Sam/Jack in Heroes II (I hate TPTW so much for inserting ship into that episode), The Real World (although you could probably handwave that as him taking a punt on her needing to have human contact [not just the touching, but his awkward convo earlier]) , and Lifeline. Lifeline's "kill switch" convo was brilliantly acted. There's ship, but there isn't, but there is......
                    sigpic

Comment

Well Spark me. I'm watching Conversion now. I'm just at the end of the Sheyla scene. With the two previous scenes (Ronon/John running, John/Carson blood convo) you can see the change in behaviour. But geez..........the kiss is aggressive. Her reaction is not okay (as in, she is not okay with it - her expression, the fact that she goes back to calling him colonel, her hand position....). Oh boy
                      sigpic

Comment

Weir to Caldwell: Aren't you scheduled to fly out?

gateraid inserts dialogue into google translate......

Weir to Caldwell: **** off Stephen. We don't need your meat and two veg shaped ship around here
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm so glad I paused it at that point to post, because the rest of the conversation screams "get out, get out, GET OUT!!!!!" Torri's delivery of "I'll have to take my chances" is priceless. Put that scene, and Torri's flippant response of "Callllllllldwell??????" to the "who do you want Weir to hook up with??" con question together, and it becomes very amusing to the seasoned fan such as myself
                          sigpic

Comment

Oh geez. I know I mocked the direction (Brad Turner, of 24 fame) of this episode earlier, but who told Torri how to act in the infirmary scene? Forget dialling it up to 11, it's at 15 and climbing in the Beckett/Weir convo. That is not how you react to your 2IC getting sick. The urgency in her concern is palpable.

Followed up by the Shep/Weir "bedside manner" convo. OMG. Those two. Mallozzi, you and Caldwell need to hop on the USS Phallus and fly the **** away from this show
                            sigpic

Comment

"You are not taking into account what is happening to his somatic cells"

Hmmmmm. God bless them for having extras, this is one of the thing I loved about s1. God bless them for having a (albeit fake - stargates anyone??) scientific discussion. But I'm not sure what Sheppard's mammary glands have to do with this? Is that how the Wraith feed their young? Do they have some sort of weird adult feeding regime that involves all the foot soldiers suckling on the Queen?

Sure, somatic cells are elsewhere in the body. But generally they are associated with boobs (well, they are just on of the many things that are tested in milk production), so you should really be specific
                              sigpic

Comment

Weir: It's okay. Sit, please
                                Wier: Sit. Good boy

Weir: Just until he's back on his feet
                                Weir: I searched really hard to find a way to say this that made it sound like you were the person I least wanted in this job - here's what I settled on!!

Caldwell: You two are pretty close aren't you?
                                Caldwell: So, you hitting that? Coz I'm totally not jealous. Not at all. I absolutely did not have Hermroid beam your underwear into my readyroom. If it's missing, I know nothing about it

Caldwell: My money's on success. And if you need somebody to talk to....
                                Weir: If you could assume those duties effective immediately.....
                                Weir: If I had actual poop, I would make you eat it right now
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X