Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    I have a question for you and any other non-native English speakers. How hard was it for you to learn English? Do you consider it a difficult language compared to others? I ask this because I recently read a thread on which some non-native speakers were saying English was a very easy language. That was the first time I have ever heard anyone say that.
    My introduction into the English language was by watching Star Trek: The Next Generation on BBC. I didn't understand all of it but got the general idea of what was going on. There are no subtitles to learn from so it was learned by listening. I also taught myself to count to 10 and back to 0 (cause I was launching rockets into space ).
    I learned a whole lot from writing, and reading the internet and from reading books.

Spoiler:
    We are taught French in school from the age of 11, and English from the age of 13. Additional language German from the age of 15 (unless you chose Math as your major, and not Languages), and optional Spanish.

We are constantly bombarded with English films and TV-shows, and songs that it's quite easy to pick up the language. Flemish owned TV-stations don't dub film or tv-shows like the French do. We get subtitles instead. Thus making it easier to learn the language.

And yes, I think English is a relatively easy language, especially compared to French or Dutch. Schools nowadays teach a mix of American English and British English, but I was taught British English in highschool.

I'm a native Dutch speaker. I'm also fluent in English, semi-fluent in French, and have an above basic knowledge of German.
    I can count to 10 in Roumanian, and know a few other basic words here and there.
    Took one year of Spanish, but not much of that remained.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    Too funny!
    Teyla is not amused.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Present!

"Fractured Phalanges and TLC"

Spoiler:
      When Elizabeth woke up from her procedure, the pain was so intense that she wondered if they had even given her any pain meds.

She was only vaguely aware of John sitting next to her. The overwhelming throbbing radiating from her hand, wrist – she couldn’t tell exactly where – was disconcerting. She wanted to fall back into unconsciousness to ease the pain.

She started whimpering, and John set the ice cream bowl aside. “What’s wrong?”

“Hurts so much,” she whispered, closing her eyes and biting her lip. “Didn’t know it would hurt so bad.”

“Lemme get Carson. Maybe he can give you something.”

Just then, Carson came around the corner with a tablet in hand. When he saw Elizabeth writhing in her bed, he frowned. “How long has she been awake?”

“She woke up just a few seconds ago,” John told him.

“Carson, it hurts,” she murmured, trying not to cry.

“I know, love, I know. Ima go and get you some morphine. It’ll take effect sooner than the Vicodin.”

After what felt like an eternity, the pain began to diminish. It didn’t go away completely, and according to Carson it wouldn’t for a few weeks. Instead, it turned into a dull, continuous soreness that the chocolate ice cream helped with.

John sat next to her, his elbows propped on his knees. “How you feeling now?”

“The morphine helps, but I just wanna go back to sleep.”

He nodded at her as she spooned a huge scoop from her bowl. “They gave it to you twice.”

Elizabeth looked up at him and frowned. “Really? I don’t remember that.”

“Well, Carson said you might have a little amnesia from the medicine they gave you earlier.”

She shook her head. “But I remember everything.” With a shrug, she added, “Except for how much morphine they gave me.”

John chuckled, then looked up as Carson came around the corner. “How do ya feel, love?”

“Better. Lucid.”

He smiled back at her. “Good to hear.”

“But I would be better if I was sleeping in my own bed.”

“I know, but the fact is, you will be very helpless for some time. You will need someone literally waiting on you hand and foot. Which is why I’m not releasing you.”

Elizabeth tried to hide a groan.

“I’ll do it.”

Her head snapped up, looking at John in shock. Had he really just said that?

--------------

Did I really just say that?

John glanced between the patient and the doctor, raising an eyebrow to see if they thought anything was amiss.

Elizabeth looked slightly astonished, widened eyes blinking back at him. Carson pursed his lips, then nodded hesitantly. “If you’re up to the challenge, Colonel, and if Elizabeth agrees, I don’t see why that would be a problem.”

The men turned their attention to Elizabeth, whose tentative eyes looked back at John. “Are you sure that you can handle this?”

“Yeah. I mean, I’m taking care of Elizabeth’s work until she’s back on her feet. So why not take care of her too?”

“John, taking care of me isn’t the same as watering a plant. I’ll need help getting food, and changing clothes, and propping up pillows behind my head and under my arm.”

John frowned, then tilted his head at her. “You’re already making a to-do list, aren’t you?”

“No.” Then she added, “I already made it up. It’s on my laptop. Which is in my office, which is where you need to be, John.”

John shrugged. “Then I’ll bring your laptop with me and make sure I check everything off.”

Elizabeth groaned. “Carson, help me out here.”

“My dear, unless you agree to Colonel Sheppard’s proposal, you’ll be spending the rest of your recovery time here in the infirmary. I guarantee you’ll have care around the clock should you need it, but if you prefer being in your own room, I don’t see another option.”

“There is a third option, Doc,” John spoke up, causing the two of them to look at him. “McKay could help out.”

Elizabeth smirked. “Well, then, if those are my options, I guess I’ll go with the least painful.” She glanced up at John. “Thank you for offering to help.”

He smiled. “Sure.”

Comment

Good work!
        sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
        https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
          Present!

Spoiler:
          When Elizabeth woke up from her procedure, the pain was so intense that she wondered if they had even given her any pain meds.

She was only vaguely aware of John sitting next to her. The overwhelming throbbing radiating from her hand, wrist – she couldn’t tell exactly where – was disconcerting. She wanted to fall back into unconsciousness to ease the pain.

“Hurts so much,” she whispered, closing her eyes and biting her lip. “Didn’t know it would hurt so bad.”

Just then, Carson came around the corner with a tablet in hand. When he saw Elizabeth writhing in her bed, he frowned. “How long has she been awake?”

“I know, love, I know. Ima go and get you some morphine. It’ll take effect sooner than the Vicodin.”

After what felt like an eternity, the pain began to diminish. It didn’t go away completely, and according to Carson it wouldn’t for a few weeks. Instead, it turned into a dull, continuous soreness that the chocolate ice cream helped with.

He nodded at her as she spooned a huge scoop from her bowl. “They gave it to you twice.”

“Well, Carson said you might have a little amnesia from the medicine they gave you earlier.”

She shook her head. “But I remember everything.” With a shrug, she added, “Except for how much morphine they gave me.”

John chuckled, then looked up as Carson came around the corner. “How do ya feel, love?”

“Better. Lucid.”

“I know, but the fact is, you will be very helpless for some time. You will need someone literally waiting on you hand and foot. Which is why I’m not releasing you.”

“I’ll do it.”

--------------

John glanced between the patient and the doctor, raising an eyebrow to see if they thought anything was amiss.

Elizabeth looked slightly astonished, widened eyes blinking back at him. Carson pursed his lips, then nodded hesitantly. “If you’re up to the challenge, Colonel, and if Elizabeth agrees, I don’t see why that would be a problem.”

The men turned their attention to Elizabeth, whose tentative eyes looked back at John. “Are you sure that you can handle this?”

“Yeah. I mean, I’m taking care of Elizabeth’s work until she’s back on her feet. So why not take care of her too?”

“John, taking care of me isn’t the same as watering a plant. I’ll need help getting food, and changing clothes, and propping up pillows behind my head and under my arm.”

John frowned, then tilted his head at her. “You’re already making a to-do list, aren’t you?”

“No.” Then she added, “I already made it up. It’s on my laptop. Which is in my office, which is where you need to be, John.”

John shrugged. “Then I’ll bring your laptop with me and make sure I check everything off.”

“My dear, unless you agree to Colonel Sheppard’s proposal, you’ll be spending the rest of your recovery time here in the infirmary. I guarantee you’ll have care around the clock should you need it, but if you prefer being in your own room, I don’t see another option.”

“There is a third option, Doc,” John spoke up, causing the two of them to look at him. “McKay could help out.”

Elizabeth smirked. “Well, then, if those are my options, I guess I’ll go with the least painful.” She glanced up at John. “Thank you for offering to help.”

He smiled. “Sure.”
          will there be a part II to this?

Comment

Sorry I wasn't home for the postathon (though I barely sat through it the first time and why does auto correct refuse to accept that "postathon" is a word?)

I get my pins out tomorrow and back to work on Tuesday if all goes well. Yippee.
            Sorry I couldn't make it either. I had to go into work and be talked through, over the phone, how to straighten out a problem with the computer at work.

Glad to hear you got your pins out, SW.

Originally posted by Varda View Post
            *hugs Scary Kitty and mandoghater*

How're you?

mandogater, I wasn't hiding! Just was a little busy, as now I'm kinda school teacher.. Try to teach children Chinese. Not all goes very smoothly, but I do my best, though my students are not that easy to deal with.
            And I suddenly had a gamer mod on... so I've spent much of my free time on gaming. New Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, Bioshock... oh my, if only I had more time!
            *Hugs back*

Nice to hear you're teaching already, Varda.

Present!

Spoiler:

“Better. Lucid.”

“I’ll do it.”

--------------

He smiled. “Sure.”
            I'm loving this story, SW!!!
            I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
              will there be a part II to this?
              Well, this is the 3rd part I've posted, so I'm gonna say yeah.

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
              Sorry I couldn't make it either. I had to go into work and be talked through, over the phone, how to straighten out a problem with the computer at work.

Glad to hear you got your pins out, SW.

*Hugs back*

Nice to hear you're teaching already, Varda.

I'm loving this story, SW!!!
              Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by zbir View Post
                Hm, post-a-thon over and not a word about McKay rubbing Jen's shoulders?

//Edit to say how much I've enjoyed it (the post-a-thon, not the episode), and how sad would be when it will be over
                I think we all shut our eyes during that part.

Present!

Spoiler:

“Better. Lucid.”

“I’ll do it.”

--------------

He smiled. “Sure.”
                John taking care of Elizabeth. I'm coming up with all sorts of scenarios.
                sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

If anyone watches Major Crimes (on TNT) in the US, evidently Joe F is going to have a (probably smallish) guest role tonight at 9pm.
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, this is the 3rd part I've posted, so I'm gonna say yeah.
                    oh well where can i find the first two parts?

Comment

*pokes head in*

Hi, um... I was wondering if any of you fine folk can help me out. I'm making Sparky art for...something...and I have a screencap that I love but is someone else's edit. I was wondering if you guys could possibly tell me what episode it's from so that I can get a non-edited version to use...

Here's the pic...

If anyone has even the slightest inkling I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you for your time.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by ME.

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
                        *pokes head in*

Hi, um... I was wondering if any of you fine folk can help me out. I'm making Sparky art for...something...and I have a screencap that I love but is someone else's edit. I was wondering if you guys could possibly tell me what episode it's from so that I can get a non-edited version to use...

Here's the pic...
                        http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/...ir-balcony.jpg

If anyone has even the slightest inkling I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you for your time.
                        Its from Season 1 Episode 18 "The Gift"
                        Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 10 December 2013, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                          Its from Season 1 Episode 18 "The Gift"
                          Quite possibly yes... but I have to admit I'm not sure...

Then again, when I watch The Gift, my attention is usually drawn elsewhere.

Comment

here's the link Photo
                            sigpic

Comment

Opens word! *thinks* ... So Sparky advent tale... come forth (you're due tomorrow).

Comment

I'm going through severe Photoshop withdrawal pangs. My computer is in the shop for a few days!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X