• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's funny when even the McShep fans can see it:

http://mathgirl24.tumblr.com/post/69071092193

Comment

Stargate Atlantis Cast Reunites For Web Comic Series State of Syn

While it may not be sparky like to see this be picked up for a full series and have this be like the Atlantis version of sanctuary and see different atlantis actors *coughs* Joe and Torri *coughs* in it.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
        Nobody misconstrue or kill me for what I'm about to say:

Really, if they wanted the books to be truly canon, they wouldn't have either romanticship. Now wait, hear me out. Because as much as we love Sparky and as much as the Sheylas love Sheyla, neither romantic relationship was canon onscreen. The best thing they could've done for the book series, really any series, was find a writer who can write it as was seen onscreen by a non-biased viewer. Otherwise, one ship is screwed regardless.

But to take a plot line that was set up on the show by the writers and throw it out the proverbial window just to suit the writer's own fancy is very unprofessional, IMHO.

That's why I will always advocate the novel "Casualties of War" besides the fact that it's the only SGA novel I own. The characters are in-character and written as they were portrayed on screen. The working friendship between John and Elizabeth is clearly seen from start to finish, but at no moment do you expect them to just walk up to each other and start making out. Because that's not what they would do. Radek is cursing in Czech. Ronon is not saying much but wanting to shoot someone. Heck, one of the opening scenes is a hilarious account of the team doing laundry. Would've loved to have seen that onscreen. And I feel like I did. It could be the novelization of a S3 episode and would've fit in perfectly.

It's like an architect receiving plans from a mentor when he's unable to complete the project, and then changing around the entire design because you didn't really like it from the start. It becomes something that people familiar with the plans don't even recognize anymore.

Sorry for the rant. I had coffee very late tonight and now am wide awake. But I needed to say it. *nods*
        No need to hurt you, you're absolutely right on with that assessment. I think a number of us have said it before, but it bears repeating that most of the books seem to be "off" in some way in terms of characterization and even the tone of the friendships between characters. The only books that really feel like the authors got it pretty much right are the ones by Christensen and Whitelaw, like "Casualties of War."

Virtual green coming your way.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        Thank you for saying all that. You read my mind and saved me the trouble of ranting about this. Though I may still do that later. The thing that is most puzzling is how and why MGM approved something so OOC for both canon and the characters. I think they are just rubber stamping this and suspect a lack of interest and knowledge of canon. Somehow these authors got a foot in the door and the little minion at MGM is just taking their word that what they are writing is canon.

Of course, nothing we say here will be taken seriously because we will be accused of being upset about our ship. However, if you think that's all that matters to some of us, you (general you) need to go and read SGA Rising.
        To add to this, it's obvious that MGM is only out to make whatever money they can off of their properties including Stargate (though to be fair, they are a business, and they need to be able to turn a profit in order to stay in operation), and in the case of Stargate, they clearly want to make whatever money they can while spending as little money as possible, hence the lack of fact checking and editing on these books. It's clear from recent comments by Joe Flanigan about his own attempts to restart the franchise that the current leadership at MGM really doesn't care about the franchise and is content to just let things slide as long as they're not taking a loss. All we can really do is ignore the books, ignore the studio, and do our own thing.
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
          Anyway, there has been some new Sparky Advent art:
          Have you gotten day 2 yet? Cause I sent out the lemming and got a reply that she was actually ready but forgot due to shenanigans. Biting ankles does help.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Have you gotten day 2 yet? Cause I sent out the lemming and got a reply that she was actually ready but forgot due to shenanigans. Biting ankles does help.
            No I haven't heard anything.

But thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
              Which one do you think isn't "too bad?" I read Homecoming and could barely resist pulling out my big red pen and marking all the bad writing and errors.
              Casualties of War was the one I was talking about. It wasn't too bad a read.
              sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
              https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Popping in to say hello and I miss you all!!! I get a couple weeks' worth of a break from my classes soon and can't wait to have time to play! (and read fan fic....and write fan fic...)
                My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
                  Casualties of War was the one I was talking about. It wasn't too bad a read.
                  Oh, yeah, that was a good one. I thought you were talking about the Legacy books.

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
                  Popping in to say hello and I miss you all!!! I get a couple weeks' worth of a break from my classes soon and can't wait to have time to play! (and read fan fic....and write fan fic...)
                  *tackle hugs*
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

*glomps*

Random observation - don't go to the grocery store when you're hungry. The only saving grace for me was that I wouldn't be home for awhile so I couldn't buy anything frozen.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                      Nobody misconstrue or kill me for what I'm about to say:

Really, if they wanted the books to be truly canon, they wouldn't have either romanticship. Now wait, hear me out. Because as much as we love Sparky and as much as the Sheylas love Sheyla, neither romantic relationship was canon onscreen. The best thing they could've done for the book series, really any series, was find a writer who can write it as was seen onscreen by a non-biased viewer. Otherwise, one ship is screwed regardless.

But to take a plot line that was set up on the show by the writers and throw it out the proverbial window just to suit the writer's own fancy is very unprofessional, IMHO.

That's why I will always advocate the novel "Casualties of War" besides the fact that it's the only SGA novel I own. The characters are in-character and written as they were portrayed on screen. The working friendship between John and Elizabeth is clearly seen from start to finish, but at no moment do you expect them to just walk up to each other and start making out. Because that's not what they would do. Radek is cursing in Czech. Ronon is not saying much but wanting to shoot someone. Heck, one of the opening scenes is a hilarious account of the team doing laundry. Would've loved to have seen that onscreen. And I feel like I did. It could be the novelization of a S3 episode and would've fit in perfectly.

It's like an architect receiving plans from a mentor when he's unable to complete the project, and then changing around the entire design because you didn't really like it from the start. It becomes something that people familiar with the plans don't even recognize anymore.

Sorry for the rant. I had coffee very late tonight and now am wide awake. But I needed to say it. *nods*
                      Well said, SW.

Since I can't green you yet, huge mental green.

How have you been, Drew?
                      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

*hugs* to SR and JT

Hey Mandogater...I've been doing well, just very busy. Looking forward to a little break! How've you been?
                        My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                        sigpic

Comment

*rolls into the thread and waves at everybody*
                          Hey there, precious people! :3
                          I've entered the Abyss and never returned.

sigpic

My links: Tumblr || Twitter || VK

Comment

Hi!
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Varda View Post
                                *rolls into the thread and waves at everybody*
                                Hey there, precious people! :3
                                Hey right back. Lots of folks dropping in for a visit.
                                sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Working...
                                X