No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    I'll be careful. When I put the DVD into the computer, it didn't even ask me about the region. It just started playing.

I have no clue. I'm not going to watch it tonight because knowing me, I'll end up watching both DVDs tonight and get no sleep. I'll save them for the weekend. Maybe I can get some pretty screen shots. Although Kris really got awesome pictures already.
    Hmm, maybe it just automatically recognized the region code on the disc and switched the region setting? I think some programs can do that. There should be a way to check.

And yay, weekend! That actually sounds like it'd be a good antidote to bad episode post-a-thons.

Originally posted by Annelantis View Post
    Hi guys,

Been AWOL the last few days - sorry. I was working the end of the week which seemed to translate as falling asleep on the sofa with the laptop. Then I was at London Film and Comic Con over the weekend. It was a busy time, but a lot of fun.

Saw the postathon for Trio - funny. I have to be honest, there are whole bits of that I don't remember, which given I have done two full re-runs since January kind of says a lot about how much I liked this episode. The husband likes it a lot more than I do and says Keller's whining was that of someone who felt she was out of her depth. I agreed but am glad she got less moany as it went into the fifth season. But, hey, Midway is a much better episode and the fight between Ronon and Teal'c is cool. There's also the part where John does the self-sacrifice thing AGAIN (a symptom I feel of his growing apathy since Elizabeth went).

The low point is obviously Kavanagh - I hate that guy. The most annoying thing about him though is not the character himself but the fact that he actually managed to get an appearance in the series finale - there were characters a lot more deserving of an appearance or at least a mention! AGGGHHHHH!!

Anyway, rant over. I am off out. I'll probably pop back on tonight.
    Busy weekend, sounds like it was fun!

I think a lot of us haven't watched these S4-5 episodes very much, if at all, since they were initially aired. I certainly haven't. I suppose it's a good refresher course for those of us writing fic, though.

Yeah, how the frak did Kavanaugh rate an appearance in the finale? Ugh, if TPTW should've subtitled S4 as "The Season Where We Bash All Your Fan Favorites," then maybe Season 5 should've been subtitled "The Season Where We Make All The Characters You Hate Into The Heroes."
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      I think a lot of us haven't watched these S4-5 episodes very much, if at all, since they were initially aired. I certainly haven't. I suppose it's a good refresher course for those of us writing fic, though.

Yeah, how the frak did Kavanaugh rate an appearance in the finale? Ugh, if TPTW should've subtitled S4 as "The Season Where We Bash All Your Fan Favorites," then maybe Season 5 should've been subtitled "The Season Where We Make All The Characters You Hate Into The Heroes."
      Same here. It's been almost two years since I was first introduced to SGA, and in those two years, I ran through Seasons 1-3 three times. At first, I adamantly refused to watch Seasons 4-5 due to the loss of Carson and Elizabeth and the addition of Sam. However, that was before I joined this thread, and as a lurker, I noticed that much of what was discussed here pertained to events surrounding the last two seasons. Wanting to be well-informed about what happened after Season 3, I made myself watch Seasons 4 and 5 once through, however painful it was at times, before I created an account on GateWorld.

I still hold a grudge toward Season 4, but Season 5 wasn't too bad, in my opinion. Woolsey was an interesting addition to the show, and I liked his character a lot. Jennifer didn't bother me as much as she irked others, I think. And of course, much of what happened in Season 5 was used SGA-R, so that's an additional plus.
      sigpic
      Please visit sga-rising.com for a Season 6 of Stargate: Atlantis
      View my projects on FF.net || AO3 || YouTube

(Formerly known as Sparks of Atlantis)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparks of Atlantis View Post
        Same here. It's been almost two years since I was first introduced to SGA, and in those two years, I ran through Seasons 1-3 three times. At first, I adamantly refused to watch Seasons 4-5 due to the loss of Carson and Elizabeth and the addition of Sam. However, that was before I joined this thread, and as a lurker, I noticed that much of what was discussed here pertained to events surrounding the last two seasons. Wanting to be well-informed about what happened after Season 3, I made myself watch Seasons 4 and 5 once through, however painful it was at times, before I created an account on GateWorld.

I still hold a grudge toward Season 4, but Season 5 wasn't too bad, in my opinion. Woolsey was an interesting addition to the show, and I liked his character a lot. Jennifer didn't bother me as much as she irked others, I think. And of course, much of what happened in Season 5 was used SGA-R, so that's an additional plus.
        Woolsey definitely made Season 5 more palatable to me, I really enjoyed getting to see his character fleshed out more and learning how it is on the other side of the wormhole, as it were. He needed that.
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

He needed to learn that while there are rules, their adversaries don't always follow them!
          sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
          https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Oh dear. Will there be a lot of hangovers on the Sparky thread tomorrow?
            No hangover but I did have a killer headache all through Monday, I’ll still blame ‘Trio’ for it though because it was just as unpleasant as the episode.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I didn't like Midway.

1) I find fight sequences dull unless they involve lightsabers or swords.

2) There's also a scene with Teal'c telling Sam how wonderful she was doing as leader and how everyone loved her that annoyed me. It was just another "see how Sam is wonderful" tricks by TPTW.

3) They bring back Kavanagh but have no mention of Elizabeth. Don't you think he would have said something snide about her? But then to TPTW, once someone is gone they are forgotten.

4) Way too much SG-1 crossover - Sam, Teal'c, Lee, Walter. Yeah, we get it Mallozzi - you really loved SG-1 and want to be shooting that instead.
            I agree with these because while I do think that ‘Midway’ is better than some episodes it’s not one of my favorite, there are just more John in it and that will at least prevent me from wanting to pull my hair out.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brie View Post
              No hangover but I did have a killer headache all through Monday, I’ll still blame ‘Trio’ for it though because it was just as unpleasant as the episode.
              I think I got a delayed reaction, my headache just started a couple of hours ago.

I agree with these because while I do think that ‘Midway’ is better than some episodes it’s not one of my favorite, there are just more John in it and that will at least prevent me from wanting to pull my hair out.
              LOL, one of the best scenes in Stargate history: John, Chuck, and the other spectators placing bets on the outcome of the Ronon vs. Teal'c fight.

Comment

I think I got a delayed reaction, my headache just started a couple of hours ago.
                Haha, it’s waiting to strike until you least expect it, that’s the curse of the bad SGA episodes, I mean, imagine what will happen when we reach ‘BRAINstorm’ and we spend time banging our heads against the keyboard…or worse, someone brain will explode.

LOL, one of the best scenes in Stargate history: John, Chuck, and the other spectators placing bets on the outcome of the Ronon vs. Teal'c fight.
                Yeah, though I would have loved to have seen Elizabeth there and John first trying to explain the bets before trying to get Elizabeth to place one as well.
                sigpic

Comment

Haha, it’s waiting to strike until you least expect it, that’s the curse of the bad SGA episodes, I mean, imagine what will happen when we reach ‘BRAINstorm’ and we spend time banging our heads against the keyboard…or worse, someone brain will explode.
                  Explode, or start pouring out through someone's ears.

Yeah, though I would have loved to have seen Elizabeth there and John first trying to explain the bets before trying to get Elizabeth to place one as well.
                  And then have it turn out that she already placed a bet.

Comment

And then have John look all in awe before he smiles and says “That’s my kind of woman” as if he needed any more reasons to be all pleasantly surprised and fascinated and by her.
                    sigpic

Comment

I bet he would even leave a bitter aftertaste.

1) I find fight sequences dull unless they involve lightsabers or swords.

I'm pretty sure the Wraith would have just pushed Kavanaugh out the closest air lock.

Since I find martial arts interesting, it all depends on how well the fight sequence is done. Sounds like you're a fellow Star Wars and Highlander/LOTR fan.
                      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

And then have John look all in awe before he smiles and says “That’s my kind of woman” as if he needed any more reasons to be all pleasantly surprised and fascinated and by her.
                        I'll be honest: I didn't particularly like Midway because a) I abhor the scene in which Teal'c tells Sam the city had embraced her as leader and b) I'm not a fan of SG-1, so it really irked me how a major Ronon episode also guest-starred an SG-1 character. But that scene in which expedition members placed bets on who will win the fight really cracked me up. The only thing missing was Elizabeth and her diplomatic skills that could have been used to break up the fight.
                        sigpic
                        Please visit sga-rising.com for a Season 6 of Stargate: Atlantis
                        View my projects on FF.net || AO3 || YouTube

(Formerly known as Sparks of Atlantis)

Comment

After my gazillion failed try at watching seasons 4 and 5, I give up again. I've watched a couple episodes here and there but when it comes to actually sitting down and watching them in order I keep getting distracted.

Could someone just point me to the best Sheppard episodes, please. I already watched Quarantine, Outcast, Search & Rescue, and Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by Luz View Post
                            After my gazillion failed try at watching seasons 4 and 5, I give up again. I've watched a couple episodes here and there but when it comes to actually sitting down and watching them in order I keep getting distracted.

Could someone just point me to the best Sheppard episodes, please. I already watched Quarantine, Outcast, Search & Rescue, and Vegas.
                            One of my favorite episodes in season 5 when it comes to Sheppard's character is "Remnants", because it tells a lot about him (and would have told even more if they hadn't cut several things), now I don't want to spoil it but there is a character in that makes an appearance again that have had a big impact on John (and I do know that it wasn't intended but having him there always, at least to me, says a bit about Sparky, or at least some of John's darker thoughts), and now I'm going to stop rambling because it's late but anyway, it's an episode worth watching.
                            sigpic

Comment

One of my favorite episodes in season 5 when it comes to Sheppard's character is "Remnants", because it tells a lot about him (and would have told even more if they hadn't cut several things), now I don't want to spoil it but there is a character in that makes an appearance again that have had a big impact on John (and I do know that it wasn't intended but having him there always, at least to me, says a bit about Sparky, or at least some of John's darker thoughts), and now I'm going to stop rambling because it's late but anyway, it's an episode worth watching.
                              Seconding the recommendation for Remnants; it's an episode that is big on the entire cast ensemble, but the Sheppard scenes are some of the season's best must-see moments.

Comment

What are the darker thoughts that John has in Remnants?
                                sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                                https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Working...
                                X