Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post

Ok.... just realized that probably meant nothing to the non-Americans. Sorry!
    *shrugs* I'm an American and I don't know what that is. *clueless* I recently saw an article about English spellings and pronunciations but I can't for the life of me remember where. It was great though: goose, geese; moose, meese; and so on.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

So I don't know if Sparky would still work if transported to a vastly different setting but every so often I like to try to imagine it anyway. Often I'll notice a pair of characters who maybe don't remind me much of John and Elizabeth at all, but there are enough superficial similiarities in their circumstances that if you really really use your imagination, it's kinda funny to pretend they're in the situation instead. Like saaay in Star Wars:

So instead of these characters, one could try to imagine seeing John and Elizabeth in a very different life. Maybe opposite uhhh... I dunno, which member of the PTB is the one that gets on your nerves the most?

I do kinda feel bad because I don't quite share the same antipathy towards TPBT that many people here do, but I still couldn't help but suspect many in the thread would get a kick out of it.

Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 22 March 2013, 06:06 PM.
      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
          So I don't know if Sparky would still work if transported to a vastly different setting but every so often I like to try to imagine it anyway. Often I'll notice a pair of characters who maybe don't remind me much of John and Elizabeth at all, but there are enough superficial similiarities in their circumstances that if you really really use your imagination, it's kinda funny to pretend they're in the situation instead. Like saaay in Star Wars:

So instead of these characters, one could try to imagine seeing John and Elizabeth in a very different life. Maybe opposite uhhh... I dunno, which member of the PTB is the one that gets on your nerves the most?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ToztqqDcaY

I do kinda feel bad because I don't quite share the same antipathy towards TPBT that many people here do, but I still couldn't help but suspect many in the thread would get a kick out of it.

Heh, fun videos!

I do that too; sometimes picturing other characters in other stories as being a kind of "John and Elizabeth in another universe", that is. It's a fun diversion.
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
            He's Sarah Jane's robotic dog.
            Well sure, I know who he is, but I have only only seen one sequence of the show proper with him in it (aside from a Colin Baker (?) extra saying "you never ****ing know the answer when it's important) and I need a lot more info than that to swing in behind a character. It took nearly an entire season for me to like Carson (that fake accent is sooo annoying). And heck, just before when I couldn't find the remote to switch from tv to av to get away from Jamie Oliver, when he said "I don't want to mince it, I just want to beat the flavour into it" I thought "if you don't shut up, I'm gonna beat the side of your head you pommy ****". So yeah, I'm a hard sell.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
            You mean the same as a small insect? Then yes they do.

I had forgotten about that in the Austen books. I'm thinking the custom came over here with the immigrants who settled the South. Other areas may do it too, but I'm not aware of it.

K9 was one of my favorite Who characters, and Sarah Jane will always be my favorite companion. We could have an old Who vs the new generation argument, but let's not and say we did.
            You have no idea how much it warmed my heart (even though I've really only seen tiny pieces of old Who, which has been mostly during tv reviews [such as sfdebris.com]) to see TPTB of Who pay homage to the earlier stuff in s3 with Sarah Jane. David Tennant did such an awesome job there (as did Elisabeth Sladen of course) and it really helped to sell that he was still the same Doctor, just 'updated'. Actually, her ep and the John Smith ep may have been the only good bits in s3 but that's just my personal opinion

So how do you pronounce "taunt"? Like "tant"?
            No. Why? Because **** you, that's why

Yes, and taunt is just aunt with a t. Therefore aunt should be pronounced awnt.

English is so weird. Multiple gooses are geese but multiple mouses aren't meese.
            And then you get people who should be saying "aunt" (in this country, it's aunt, not awnt) but say it "unt". Also, there's "aks" instead of "ask". Grrrr

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post

I don't have as much antipathy toward TPTW as I used to. Part of that is because now I think some of the decisions on the show weren't entirely creative ones - they were employment based. Torri/Amanda/Robert - all of that is a result of behind the scenes stuff. Sure, there were creative/writing aspects to them, but they weren't the most important part of the decision making process.
            sigpic

Comment

OMG Poundpuppy your are the 10th Doctor! So jealous
              Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
              the only Doctor i watch was David Tennant's doctor. he reminded me a little of John Sheppard / Joe Flanigan.
              Yes & Poundpuppy is David's Doctor! And I'm one of his old friends & companions & I met Rose & I have a tin dog the Doctor gave me- K9! woohoo!
              I am Queen McBeck of McTennantLand,
              traveling in the TARDIS with King Rodney & my fine Sir Carson of Atlantis... ALONSY!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                I don't have as much antipathy toward TPTW as I used to. Part of that is because now I think some of the decisions on the show weren't entirely creative ones - they were employment based. Torri/Amanda/Robert - all of that is a result of behind the scenes stuff. Sure, there were creative/writing aspects to them, but they weren't the most important part of the decision making process.
                The writers had to work with the actors/characters that were available to them, not necessarily the ones that they or some fans may have wanted.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post

And then you get people who should be saying "aunt" (in this country, it's aunt, not awnt) but say it "unt". Also, there's "aks" instead of "ask". Grrrr
                  Well, if I want to be entirely accurate, "aunt" in most parts of the South would be pronounced "aint", so anything is possible.

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                  The writers had to work with the actors/characters that were available to them, not necessarily the ones that they or some fans may have wanted.
                  My antipathy (love that word) toward them was, and still is, because of the way they treatedf both Paul and Torri. Even though I still think they intended to bring Paul back all along. Getting rid of Elizabeth because they didn't know how to write for her, when every day the fans were screaming for her to have more involvement and giving intelligent suggestions on how to accomplish that, was just bad business.

I also didn't like the way they treated JF, and we have since learned that it was even worse than we thought. How many shows do you watch where you see the lead actor's name as a producer? I notice it more and more. Even RDA was given that position. They should at least have listened to his suggestions, especially for his character. I'm afraid there is nothing they could do except maybe make a movie that brings Elizabeth back and has John declare his undying love for her would make me like them at this point.
                  sigpic

Comment

Nola your sig & avi I love them! And your "green" is Defeats the Weeping angels awesome!
                    I am Queen McBeck of McTennantLand,
                    traveling in the TARDIS with King Rodney & my fine Sir Carson of Atlantis... ALONSY!

sigpic

Comment

yes, Fluffy is a fierce warrior against weeping angels!
                      sigpic

Comment

yes, Fluffy is a fierce warrior against weeping angels!
                        He just better not blink.
                        sigpic

Comment

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/Nolamom/Shippiness/atl_114_762_Manip.jpgriginal
                          Sweet, I love it.

Infinite-Possibilities , great videos.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                          Heh, fun videos!

I do that too; sometimes picturing other characters in other stories as being a kind of "John and Elizabeth in another universe", that is. It's a fun diversion.
                          I will be the first to admit that I’ve done that several times, I’ve also sometimes watched something else and found myself thinking how well something some characters do or say would fit with say a conversation I could imagine Sparky having, not necessary in romantic turns but more because of their characters, if that makes sense.

My antipathy (love that word) toward them was, and still is, because of the way they treatedf both Paul and Torri. Even though I still think they intended to bring Paul back all along. Getting rid of Elizabeth because they didn't know how to write for her, when every day the fans were screaming for her to have more involvement and giving intelligent suggestions on how to accomplish that, was just bad business.

I also didn't like the way they treated JF, and we have since learned that it was even worse than we thought. How many shows do you watch where you see the lead actor's name as a producer? I notice it more and more. Even RDA was given that position. They should at least have listened to his suggestions, especially for his character. I'm afraid there is nothing they could do except maybe make a movie that brings Elizabeth back and has John declare his undying love for her would make me like them at this point.
                          I really agree with this SR and it’s how I feel and look at it as well.
                          sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

I've just greened you for that comment because YES. YES to ALL of that. Poor business/creative decisions that ended up angering fans and actors alike, and hurting the show more than helping it. I'm sure TPTW must've thought those ideas were great at the time, but well, hindsight is 20-20 and all that, and here we are four years later, and there is no new Stargate on TV, no new Stargate films, nothing. The fandom is still alive but the canon machine is dead. I'd say that one fact says everything that anyone needs to know about just how well TPTW's decisions worked out.
                            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Holy cow, what happened with GW last night??? Another fandom implosion???

Comment

The Cybermen may have tried to delete it.... maybe. Or the Daleks tried to exterminate its existence.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X