Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bama
    I'm warming up my postcards. We need to track down Mel's post and list those addresses again.
    Here you go:

Stargate Productions
    2400 Boundary Road
    Burnaby, B.C.
    V5M 3Z3
    Canada

The Sci-Fi Channel
    Attn: Bonnie Hammer, President
    30 Rockefeller Plaza
    New York, NY 10112

The Sci-Fi Channel
    Attn: Mr. Dave Howe, General Manager
    30 Rockefeller Plaza
    New York, NY 10112
    Viewer comment line: (212) 413-5000
    Fax: (212) 413-6531
    Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
    Last update: 14 April 2006
    Melyanna's Multimedia
    Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by mentalmichael
      On the other hand I genuinely cannot stop thinking about it almost to the point of obsession, do any other writers have this problem?
      Um... that would be why I told my father (who happens to be my boss at the moment) that I didn't want to be at work today. Pesky customers interefering with me thinkin' about my fic. That and this stupid pirate thing is incredibly addictive. Problem is I have no computer at work, so it all gets written out longhand and then I have to transfer it when I get home.

By the way, still haven't read the next section of your fic, but I only just got home, so give me time.

Welcome Jenova Synthesis!!!
      ~La (I used to be a lurker, but this place just sucks you in...)
      The Nameless Forest. Also, my LJ, where you can find my fic attempts.

Comment

Also, I agreed with another poster on the topic thread that said that bringing Carter into SGA even part-time creates a sieve in that cozy little 'world' that is Atlantis. They've been 'cut-off' in large part from other Earthly opinions and they've made their own rules as they felt the situation warranted. Now, you've got Colonel Carter? She outranks John. She (and the audience) feel she's equal or more important in power to Elizabeth and/or intelligence to Rodney. She's just too 'big' for Atlantis's small world imo. I can only hope I'm pleasantly surprised in the new dynamic or that they change their minds given all the negative reaction across the board thus far but I have real concerns about the entire idea.
        I don't remeber where exactly, but I read a while back that the writers were trying to make Atalntis it's own show where it didn't need SG1 to come in, but now I can't believe they're actually considering doing this with the Sam character, bringing her in and cutting short our main character's screentime. I mean I was already upset with lack of mckay/weir moments this season, but if you bring Sam in for more than just a cameo, it's gonna be even worse. When you say she 'outranks' him, are you refering to experience?
        McKay: I'm invulnerable!
        Weir: Aren't you the one who's always spouting off about how proper and careful scientific procedure must be adhered to?
        McKay: In-vul-ner-able.

McKAY: I'm not crazy -- I just have another consciousness in my brain.

First icon made by Cathain Nottingham and last 4 made by ToasterOnFire
        My LJ My Fanfic My Homeschooling Blog

Comment

Sam outranks him rank-wise. John is a Lt. Colonel, while Carter is a full Colonel. So she'd be military commander if she were staying in Atlantis. The same is for Caldwell, except he's only in command of the Daedalus, but it's why he has such input into what's going on in Atlantis.
          Last edited by ubiquitous; 01 November 2005, 02:48 PM.

Visit the stargate_pad LJ community; a pairing a day for the stargate fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by weirfan517
            I don't remeber where exactly, but I read a while back that the writers were trying to make Atalntis it's own show where it didn't need SG1 to come in, but now I can't believe they're actually considering doing this with the Sam character, bringing her in and cutting short our main character's screentime. I mean I was already upset with lack of mckay/weir moments this season, but if you bring Sam in for more than just a cameo, it's gonna be even worse. When you say she 'outranks' him, are you refering to experience?
            Yeah, they haven't felt much 'alike' to me and I enjoyed how much more character driven SGA seems to be but to bring in Sam will just give it even more of that pure action 'feel' that SG-1 has to me. And actually, WF, I think Sam's presence might mean more Rodney but with Sam rather than with John, Elizabeth, Zelenka or Carson and I don't like that at all either. Rodney doesn't 'need' Carter to be a terrific character or to help with storylines. He's a strong enough character in his own right to build stories around.

As for the outranking 'thing'. If I'm not mistaken, Carter, like Caldwell, is a full-ranking Colonel where Shep is a Lt. Colonel. So, conceivably she could boss around anyone on Atlantis-save for Elizabeth who she's already stood toe to toe with.
            Last edited by Bama; 01 November 2005, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ubiquitous
              Sam outranks him rank-wise. John is a Lt. Colonel, while Carter is a full Colonel. So she'd be military commander if she were staying in Atlantis. The same is for Caldwell, except he's only in command of the Daedalus, but it's why he has such input into what's going on in Atlantis.
              Actually, Carter is the same rank as Sheppard.

I looked over the transcript for "New Order 2" which was the episode she got promoted in Season 8 It says: (using spoiler tags just in case even though it's already aired in syndication)

Spoiler:

O'NEILL: The other reason I took this job was so I could do really cool stuff like this: it is with great pride that my first order of business as commander of this base is the announcement of the promotion of Major Samantha Carter to Lieutenant Colonel. (Applause. Sam looks delighted and embarrassed. Jack jerks his head at her, mouthing ‘C'mere' at her. She walks up the ramp.) (The ceremony continues as Walter reads the commendation.)

So Caldwell still outranks them all in Atlantis that is.
              ~Athena

Comment

No, actually, Sam's a lieutenant colonel as well. They're the same rank, but Bama's point stands. She was promoted a year earlier, so she still outranks him.
                Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                Last update: 14 April 2006
                Melyanna's Multimedia
                Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Sorry, confused here, but the last Sam promotion I remeber was New Order part 2, where she was then lt. colonel, so I'm wondering when did she get promoted a few more times in the past 2 seasons, that she's now full colonel?

Edit: Nevermind, it was just answered above.
                  Weir: Aren't you the one who's always spouting off about how proper and careful scientific procedure must be adhered to?

Comment

As Mel and I have both posted previously that Carter is still a Lt. Colonel, but like Mel said based on experience under a Lt. Colonel rank. Carter out ranks him, since she was promoted to Lt. Colonel a year earlier.
                    ~Athena

Comment

Sorry, my mistake. *blushes and hides*

Visit the stargate_pad LJ community; a pairing a day for the stargate fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by Athenaktt
                        As Mel and I have both posted previously that Carter is still a Lt. Colonel, but like Mel said based on experience under a Lt. Colonel rank. Carter out ranks him, since she was promoted to Lt. Colonel a year earlier.
                        Peh, then she still can 'call his hand' on anything can't she? And honestly, I'm not really thrilled with that. It's one of the things I'm not truly happy about when Caldwell is around. I rather love the idea of John as the reluctant leader with only Elizabeth to confide with on major decisions. I like how when he's in command that he has to make the tough military calls on his own. I think such makes him grow as a man and as a leader. Of course, I guess Caldwell and/or Carter's presence does allow someone to see any 'mistakes' he makes which can lead to good drama but I much rather prefer the little power Duet with John and Elizabeth alone and voluntarily holding hands at the top of the power food chain.

Gak, I'm really being a negative nancy about all this. Let's see...to find the silver lining...

On the bright side, Carter gives us one more person who we can potentially 'add' to the list of people who 'see' that special bond with Shep and Weir.

But then, that just brought up another potential negative in my mind. I just for the life of me cannot see TPTB allowing SGA to become 'too' full of estrogen. I think perhaps Teyla and Elizabeth both may suffer from development a little if Sam is added to the cast. Ten episodes is a lot folks.

Oh well...let's see...Sam has good hair. ; )
                        Last edited by Bama; 01 November 2005, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Sorry, my mistake. *blushes and hides*
                          Hey, don't worry about it, I think we've all made mistake on this forum at some time *points to self*, so you're fine, just watch out next time.

Comment

With all that talk about pirates, westerns and spies, I was wondering if there would be any interest if I started a general Sheppard/Weir/Atlantis ff AU community on LJ...

I don't want to step any toes, so if there are already any existing ones please let me know. I'd rather support any in existence than start a new one.
                            sigpic
                            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Gak, I'm really being a negative nancy about all this. Let's see...to find the silver lining...
                              ... I personally have liked crossovers a little, maybe carter with liz would be interesting (did i mention I'm into femslash a little? ), jealous liz if carter starts flirting with shep or rodney (I know the whole shep/sam thing is weird, but I'd kinda like to see 'jealous liz' maybe that'd work better with rodney/sam), well if she's with weir, we'll have two hot women on at once, and that's all I've got for now.

Comment

The link posted earlier "Amanda Clears things up" Yea. Not so much.
                                Nothings been decided? How is that clear? Grrrr.

Man, I just don't want her on my show. ::stamps foot::
                                I don't watch SG1 (Season 1-8) because it bores me! (IMO)
                                I've managed to plow thru the first 4-5 eps of S.9 just because my "other" boy & girl are there. But it is kinda a chore. (sorry)

I love or hate all the SGA accordingly. As its been said, SGA has such great secondary & tertiary characters. I don't want any of them sqeezed out to fit her in.

Comment

Working...
                                X