Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
    The highlighted bit is kinda what I have an issue with in general (not related to this issue) because it's so common in fan fiction. I've read so many fics where everyone knows sparky is together (or whomever) and it tends to come across as a bit of a nudge nudge wink wink thing, making it obvious that it is only fan fiction. But like you say, generally bases aren't that large, so it's not that unrealistic that everyone would know everyone else's business.
    True, but I was also talking about the military in general. At least within each branch. We have lived here for many years and seen bunches of military families come and go from our church. It is astonishing how many of them have known each other before. Sooner or later, most of the officers end up here at the Pentagon or some other local base. So if you meet a new person who's say in the Air Force and you ask them if they know Colonel Smith, they will likely say "Oh yeah, we were stationed together in Colorado". It's true more times than not. For this reason, I don't find the fanfics that have John and Elizabeth having met before all that far-fetched either. The diplomatic corps and Air Force pilots cross paths all the time.

Is that the universe where Weir ordered the extermination of the Asurans? And the sky is a foreign shade of blue?
    You got it. The one where she took her team in and blew up those poor unsuspecting Asurans who just wanted to all get along. John, of course, tried to stop her, but she reminded him of the jar in which she keeps his manhood and he backed off.

This is snurched from Southern Red because I don't know how these things work

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ouwillbeok.gif

I really love this scene, and the ep in general. On a rational level, I can see why he took her hand - if he ran up the stairs and left her there, it would look a bit silly - but I prefer to think it was coz we wuvvvs her
    Snurch away, I snurched it from someone else. If I recall my useless bit of trivia correctly, the hand-holding here happened because Joe was wet and cold and Torri wasn't moving fast enough. And once again, we owe Mr. F a debt of gratitude.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
      I miss Sparky and Atlantis on my tv.
      Me too. But on Sunday, I discovered that one of the local independent TV stations has apparently just started running SGA from the beginning. Classic Season 1 Atlantis FTW!

OT rant:
      Spoiler:
      I think I'm going insane. I was watching Fiddler on the Roof earlier and I can't get one of the songs out of my head. Nothing works, not even coming here!
      LOL! No worries, that happens to all of us.

Admittedly Lorne, and most of the cast, are written as genderless, so I guess it's down to our interpretation as to their straightness or gayness. Frankly I'm surprised that Weir wasn't gay, it's a bit of a tv cliche to have the lead administrator character as gay.
      I guess they saw Wray on SGU as Weir 2.0, then.

Is that the universe where Weir ordered the extermination of the Asurans? And the sky is a foreign shade of blue?
      *snorts*

This is snurched from Southern Red because I don't know how these things work

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ouwillbeok.gif

I really love this scene, and the ep in general. On a rational level, I can see why he took her hand - if he ran up the stairs and left her there, it would look a bit silly - but I prefer to think it was coz we wuvvvs her
      Awwwww! And just to get things on topic to Smut Day, we can always imagine that he 'warmed her up' a little later.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      True, but I was also talking about the military in general. At least within each branch. We have lived here for many years and seen bunches of military families come and go from our church. It is astonishing how many of them have known each other before. Sooner or later, most of the officers end up here at the Pentagon or some other local base. So if you meet a new person who's say in the Air Force and you ask them if they know Colonel Smith, they will likely say "Oh yeah, we were stationed together in Colorado". It's true more times than not. For this reason, I don't find the fanfics that have John and Elizabeth having met before all that far-fetched either. The diplomatic corps and Air Force pilots cross paths all the time.
      An excellent point. Even if it was just a brief chance meeting that they don't remember all that well at first. Hmm, I wonder if we ought to consider putting a meeting prior to Rising in their background for SGA Rising...

You got it. The one where she took her team in and blew up those poor unsuspecting Asurans who just wanted to all get along. John, of course, tried to stop her, but she reminded him of the jar in which she keeps his manhood and he backed off.
      *dies laughing*

Snurch away, I snurched it from someone else. If I recall my useless bit of trivia correctly, the hand-holding here happened because Joe was wet and cold and Torri wasn't moving fast enough. And once again, we owe Mr. F a debt of gratitude.
      In Joe We Trust!
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
          Wray is nowhere near as cool as Elizabeth. Wray was just an IOA lackey that got passed up for promotions way too many times. Elizabeth was strong. she stood her ground. she knew what was best for the Atlantis expedition.
          Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 11 October 2011, 07:53 AM.

Comment

An excellent point. Even if it was just a brief chance meeting that they don't remember all that well at first. Hmm, I wonder if we ought to consider putting a meeting prior to Rising in their background for SGA Rising...
            I'd say no, too much like fanfic. But a near miss might be fun. "You were in the Seychelles? I flew in there for R&R once. When did you say you were there?" Something like that.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
              Wray is nowhere near as cool as Elizabeth. Wray was just an IOA lackey that got passed up for promotions way too many times. Elizabeth was strong. she stood her ground. she knew what was best for the Atlantis expedition.
              You'll get no argument from me there!

I'd say no, too much like fanfic. But a near miss might be fun. "You were in the Seychelles? I flew in there for R&R once. When did you say you were there?" Something like that.
              LOL! Oooh, I like the near miss idea, that definitely sounds more fun!
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I miss Sparky and Atlantis on my tv.

OT rant:
                Spoiler:
                I think I'm going insane. I was watching Fiddler on the Roof earlier and I can't get one of the songs out of my head. Nothing works, not even coming here!
                Well, at least the music in that is good!

LOL! Oooh, I like the near miss idea, that definitely sounds more fun!
                I read a story about that once, where they talked about both having been in the former Yugoslavia.

Hi lurkers. Come out and play. We're nice people.

Comment

Admittedly Lorne, and most of the cast, are written as genderless, so I guess it's down to our interpretation as to their straightness or gayness.
                  Which leaves plenty of room for us to play with it....

Knowing these guys, if it was Lorne, I'm surprised he didn't have faaaaaaaaaaaabulously decorated quarters
                  He's Atlantis' interior designer.

The bad, and the good, behaviour seemed (at least to me) to be gender neutral.
                  You betcha!

I didn't realise how much the show gained from his presence (and his character) until he was gone
                  RDA sure left a bit of a hole when he left, but in that last season he seemed to just be there for the heck of it.

Ah, the Chuck/Woolsey ship - Chick? Whuck? It's why our favourite tech was so upset when Woolsey called him Chet by mistake. Though maybe that was to throw Chen off the scent

I'd go with Chick...

Paint. It's addictive, I tell ya
                  I wouldn't know, I never tried it.

Maybe they've been eating too much paint
                  Who knows - or got high from the fumes at least.

The fact that the information comes from JM makes it seem like a ploy, a plot to gain viewers after the fact.
                  Definitely a ploy.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Here's some smutty fic for smut day. My pic story muse is currently sleeping, so this is the best I can do. The regulars have read these, I'm sure, but they might be new for some.

Eudaimonia by miera_c.

...where time begins to fade by medie.

Naturally, both have an NC-17 rating. Both have 2 parts, so be sure to read onto the next section.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                      Here's some smutty fic for smut day. My pic story muse is currently sleeping, so this is the best I can do. The regulars have read these, I'm sure, but they might be new for some.

Eudaimonia by miera_c.

...where time begins to fade by medie.

Naturally, both have an NC-17 rating. Both have 2 parts, so be sure to read onto the next section.
                      And even for us Sparky thread vets, these stories are always good for a reread. Good fics!

Comment

Never stop being you, you're awesome. I hadn't considered that aspect of it. Which is obvious in a way, that's pretty much all we talk about at work - do you know such and such??

So that's what she kept in the mint jar

If it weren't for this thread, I wouldn't have even noticed. This is a perfect example of how sparky could've been subtle, yet have depth *nods*

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Me too. But on Sunday, I discovered that one of the local independent TV stations has apparently just started running SGA from the beginning. Classic Season 1 Atlantis FTW!

LOL! No worries, that happens to all of us.

They just might have (NB I've only seen til the end of s1). But to me, that's like saying that the Rodney and Elizabeth characters were interchangable on another show because they're both civilians

If whomever is going to run with that idea, then go with the near miss, please. That said, I'm fairly critical of fan fiction, so maybe I'm not the best person to run things by

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        Which leaves plenty of room for us to play with it....
                        We could start a list of pairings to play with, but we'd be here all day

He's Atlantis' interior designer.
                        Queer eye for the military guy

RDA sure left a bit of a hole when he left, but in that last season he seemed to just be there for the heck of it.
                        With the (admittedly massive, in this case) benefit of hindsight, I wonder if they wouldn't have been better to scale back his screentime much earlier on. It's possible he may have stayed around longer. Whilst I loved Zero Hour in s8, whenever I watched it, I kept thinking why the heck didn't they do an episode like this for Don???. I think what they missed when RDA left was an actor who wouldn't just say this line sucks, but have the gravitas for the writers to actually come up with something better.

I'd go with Chick...
                        We're both in agreement about that. Wait, are we still talking about the same thing?

Definitely a ploy.
                        It seems that way. I like JM as a writer, he's quite skilled, but he's muffed up his blog and other public comments so much that it's hard not to be cynical regarding anything he says *shrugs*
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                          Well, at least the music in that is good!
                          There is that. My only problem was I tried watching some Firefly to get another song in my head and only ended up with an idea for a crack fic.
                          I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

So, since the handholding gif stirred up a bit of discussion yesterday, let's go with a different one as a stimulus today.

Now, I'm thinking this was one of those moments that could be interpreted a lot of ways, but after the first few seconds, had very little to do with "work". What say you?
                            sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

So that's what she kept in the mint jar
                              *snorts*

They just might have (NB I've only seen til the end of s1). But to me, that's like saying that the Rodney and Elizabeth characters were interchangable on another show because they're both civilians
                              Indeed, it is.

So, since the handholding gif stirred up a bit of discussion yesterday, let's go with a different one as a stimulus today.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ifs/eyesex.gif

Now, I'm thinking this was one of those moments that could be interpreted a lot of ways, but after the first few seconds, had very little to do with "work". What say you?
                              I say you're right. Darnit, you just don't share long, lingering looks with someone who's merely "the boss" when you're about to go face certain doom. You only do that with someone you really, truly care about.

Oh, and SR? After posting that particular pic today, you do realize which one you're going to have to post as a follow-up tomorrow, right?

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

*snorts*

Indeed, it is.

I say you're right. Darnit, you just don't share long, lingering looks with someone who's merely "the boss" when you're about to go face certain doom. You only do that with someone you really, truly care about.

Oh, and SR? After posting that particular pic today, you do realize which one you're going to have to post as a follow-up tomorrow, right?
                                *runs to check for proper gif* Got it, and it's in slo mo.

I think if you look at that whole clip from Siege II and stop when he starts up the stairs and she calls his name, you could say she is telling him, as his boss, that this is not something he needs to do and is asking him if he's sure it's the only option. But then, since it's such a critical situation and every second counts, why didn't he rush up the stairs without a backward glance? Now that's the question. He essentially waited for her permission. Would he have gone had she demanded he stop? This goes back to the discussion of why John got so upset when Rodney activated the nanites or why Elizabeth didn't give in to Kolya's demands in CG. They understood each other to the level that it wasn't necessary to demand explanations or hash it out and were willing to sacrifice themselves and each other for the greater good. You just know at some point, I would think after John survived in Seige III, that they discussed this at length. Because even though they talked about not letting it happen again, surely they both knew it would.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X