Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
    Yes, you could basically envision crickets in the writers' room as they tried to decide how to make John seeing Elizabeth with Bearded!Mike NOT shippy and I don't think they could. Put him in Rodney's place in the cafeteria. There are only so many ways he could have reacted.

- Do what Rodney did and look amused: couldn't--out of character for Sheppard because he worries about her status as expedition head. Plus, we'd already had him believing she was eating with Teyla, so there would have been a question of why he was misinformed. It wouldn't have been a brush off for him like it was for Rodney.

- Look surprised: would be seen as shippy

- Look irritated: would be seen as WAY shippy

- Look curious: would be seen as shippy

And any additional scenes of John interacting with her would have been interpreted through the filter of his having seen her with Mike.

So, they just ignored it. I'm always surprised by that, actually, that the Mike and John stories are the only ones in Sunday that don't cross paths, really. Or maybe I'm not.
    I'm actually not surprised. They were very aware of John/Elizabeth, thier interactions, their chemistry, the popularity of the ship. Sunday just proves they tried to shove it under the rug - pretend the elephant isn't dancing through the room and it will go away.

Only it didn't go away.

On the other hand, no matter how they spinned the other ship, "the fandom never really got behind it." Quoting a fan of that other ship.
    I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
      I think John was just annoyed with the Kirk label... not really McKay's best idea if he wants Liz and John together

Lol, thx :^)
      I really need someone to read over the entire thing before I start posting it. You wouldn't be interested, would you?
      Well, we all know that McKay isn't all that good with relationships himself.

Oooh, a beta read? I might just be interested... send it my way!

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
      I'm actually not surprised. They were very aware of John/Elizabeth, thier interactions, their chemistry, the popularity of the ship. Sunday just proves they tried to shove it under the rug - pretend the elephant isn't dancing through the room and it will go away.

Only it didn't go away.

On the other hand, no matter how they spinned the other ship, "the fandom never really got behind it." Quoting a fan of that other ship.
      The Big Red Sparky Elephant strikes again!

And it just goes to show that a smart writer goes with the ship that the fandom has gotten behind. Therefore, TPTW were foolish to ignore the wishes of the fandom, and utterly backwards to try to torpedo Sparky.

Hey Mallozzi, it didn't work so well, did it? WE'RE STILL HERE!!! AHAHAHAHA!!!!!
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
        Yeah, just look at the Katie fiasco *headdesk*
        Wonder what the writers were thinking when they frakked that up... it could have been so lovely... but no, they had to frak it up again

*grins* Thx!! I've send you a message

Hey Mallozzi, it didn't work so well, did it? WE'RE STILL HERE!!! AHAHAHAHA!!!!!
        Yes we are, and we're far from down!! On the contrary
        Sparky LIVES!!!!

Sig by me

Comment

Yeah, just look at the Katie fiasco *headdesk*
          Wonder what the writers were thinking when they frakked that up... it could have been so lovely... but no, they had to frak it up again
          I don't think they were thinking on that one. *sighs* Rodney/Katie was just so adorkable.

Yes we are, and we're far from down!! On the contrary
          Sparky LIVES!!!!
          Muahahahah!
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post

Only it didn't go away.

Mallozzi even said on his blog that he didn't care if 10 times as many people supported this ship, it wouldn't influence their decisions. Okay then, how did that ratings thing work out for you? You can't stubbornly stay with ideas that are very unpopular and expect not to lose viewers. We didn't expect a wedding and babiez, but just sticking with what worked would have been nice.

And it just goes to show that a smart writer goes with the ship that the fandom has gotten behind. Therefore, TPTW were foolish to ignore the wishes of the fandom, and utterly backwards to try to torpedo Sparky.

Yep, we are proof that we are unsinkable.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
              Mallozzi even said on his blog that he didn't care if 10 times as many people supported this ship, it wouldn't influence their decisions. Okay then, how did that ratings thing work out for you? You can't stubbornly stay with ideas that are very unpopular and expect not to lose viewers. We didn't expect a wedding and babiez, but just sticking with what worked would have been nice.
              Rule #1 of running any successful business (because at the end of the day, the TV industry is a business just like any other): Give the customers what they want and don't piss them off. The customers wanted Sparky. TPTW not only refused to give the customers Sparky, they flat out insulted the customers. Repeatedly. And TPTW wonder why the fans have no respect for them. *snorts*

Yep, we are proof that we are unsinkable.
              And we're never gonna go away. Neener neener neener.

Comment

My good ladies and lords, the final third of the latest Stargate!Ren fic is now online!

*shoos everyone off to go read*

Comment

You know I had to bring it out again.
                  Spoiler:
                  sigpic
                  Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Erin87 View Post
                    Love it, and so very true. We're never going away. Muhahaha
                    Thanks to Spacemonkey Jackson for the signature!

Comment

Ahahahaha! Bring on the dancing red elephant!

Comment

*raises thumbs*
                        Let the elephant loose!!

Sig by me

Comment

I hate Tuesdays. I'm not awake. People are not awake. I know I already said this but it's so true. I'm bored. I have nothing to do at my work for once.......4h

TPTB did a bad job about ships. Here in my wonderful country (lol), we're not influence by them or we didn't know what ship they wanted at the beginning. And when you read a french forum, John/Elizabeth seems to be very obvious because a "no-shipper" can see it. And we have also the french magazines. I always thought John and Elizabeth was the couple.

Time to go. I don't want.......
                          sigpic
                          Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                            TPTB did a bad job about ships. Here in my wonderful country (lol), we're not influence by them or we didn't know what ship they wanted at the beginning. And when you read a french forum, John/Elizabeth seems to be very obvious because a "no-shipper" can see it. And we have also the french magazines. I always thought John and Elizabeth was the couple.
                            You're lucky... we get the German and UK magazines here (there are no Belgian/Dutch sci-fi magazines as far as I know) and they are all pro-sheyla. It's the reason I was a sheyla when I started watching SGA and was baffled by the lack of it. Luckily Sparky was obvious and I didn't stay pro-sheyla for long... on the contrary

Too bad your job sucks so much

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                              I hate Tuesdays. I'm not awake. People are not awake. I know I already said this but it's so true. I'm bored. I have nothing to do at my work for once.......4h

Time to go. I don't want.......
                              I really wish Joe and/or Torri would do a con in France and get the full Sparky feedback from the French fans. Sigh. Here I think the general attitude toward ship was split. The official Stargate mag was pro-Sheyla as was TV Guide and some others. The occasional SciFi column writer made a few comments about Sparky if I recall, but mostly they tend to go with what TPTB says in press releases, etc. It makes you wonder how closely they even watch. But then I recall also a rant from some guy after Vegas who was all mad that Vegas!John was gay. So I guess I got my answer. They don't pay much attention at all.
                              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I really wish Joe and/or Torri would do a con in France and get the full Sparky feedback from the French fans. Sigh. Here I think the general attitude toward ship was split. The official Stargate mag was pro-Sheyla as was TV Guide and some others. The occasional SciFi column writer made a few comments about Sparky if I recall, but mostly they tend to go with what TPTB says in press releases, etc. It makes you wonder how closely they even watch. But then I recall also a rant from some guy after Vegas who was all mad that Vegas!John was gay. So I guess I got my answer. They don't pay much attention at all.
                                I think here press people are always fed company lines and in terms of TV shows, they're not into burning bridges. I can't think of any shows where the 'non-ship' was ever recognized if it wasn't officially supported by the production company. I don't think it was that they didn't support Sparky, I think it was that they weren't told about it or told it wasn't going to happen (plus, most of them don't watch). Press here doesn't go after fan-supported ships unless it's been officially confirmed or they're writing their own opinion about it (like the bloggers). Doing so is dangerous if they earn the ire of the production company or if they're made to look fools by playing up something that ends up being completely wrong.

EDIT: And that's disregarding love triangles and such--competing ships are still official 'ships'--just one will win out over the other. Different from a ship not acknowledged by the show producers.
                                Last edited by Eri13; 27 April 2010, 05:18 AM.
                                Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Working...
                                X