Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alyssa
    Interesting idea --- that Jessica wanted to play Weir 'quirky'. I think that may be because of the potential interaction with the equally quirky Jack and Daniel characters. I think Torri's take on the part as serious leader is the right one. She plays the role as intense, in control, etc. It makes the quirkier, humourous moments with Elizabeth all the more effective because we're used to her in serious leader mode.
    I agree, by Torri playing Weir as a serious commander it makes the 'fluff' all the more funny because we don't get to see that side of Weir all that often. Also, Torri and Joe look amazing on-screen and the chemistry between them is like total meltdown and I don't think it would have been the same with Jessica. I thought Jessica did a good job in 'Lost City 1 & 2' but I don't know how she would have gone in Atlantis. I hadn't known that Jessica was prepared to do Atlantis, I just thought that the creators wanted to go with someone different.

TOGETHER FOREVER,
    NEVER TO BE TORN APART

Comment

To be honest, I couldn't imagine a different actress --- whoever it was --- working as well with Joe as Torri does in this part.
      I wonder if they have a similar sense of humour in real life --- if that sort of thing affects the way they work on screen together. There's definitely a spark between them. I think there's a great connection between Joe and David, too. They play off each other perfectly. I think I read somewhere they they muck around a bit, and are like the naughty boys on set. That probably translates on screen too!
      It's weird. We talk about no-one else doing a particular role but quite often if the original actor that was wanted had taken the part we probably not be able to see anyone but them in the role. For instance, Indiana Jones was originally scripted for Tom Selleck but he couldn't get out of his Magnum commitments so the role went to Harrison Ford. Now no-one could imagine what the character would have been like if Tom had played him but IMHO NO-ONE but Harrison could be Indy.

TOGETHER FOREVER,
      NEVER TO BE TORN APART

Comment

Originally posted by Bama
        Good grief woman...learn to move that mouse up and to the right a few more inches! And for goodness sakes, OPEN his hand! ; )

But hey, it beats nothin gal! Thanks!

-B ; )
        He's tickling the back of her arm with his little finger. I could do better I suppose if I never left this chair or had the expensive version of Photoshop. Hey, Santa!
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by divcon
          I thought Jessica did a good job in 'Lost City 1 & 2' but I don't know how she would have gone in Atlantis. I hadn't known that Jessica was prepared to do Atlantis, I just thought that the creators wanted to go with someone different.
          I equate Jessica Steen's Wier with Kurt Russel's Jack O'Neil and James Spader's Daniel Jackson: the first take on the character, which is greatly expanded on by another actor in a later opportunity. Steen played an important role in laying the character's foundation, and she did well, IMO, but Torri took the character then and really made it something special.

If Steen had gone on to do Atlantis, I don't know how the character relationships might have shaken out. Though, for some reason, I suspect a McKay/Steen!Weir thread would probably be fast approaching 8,000 posts by now.

Originally posted by divcon
          For instance, Indiana Jones was originally scripted for Tom Selleck but he couldn't get out of his Magnum commitments so the role went to Harrison Ford. Now no-one could imagine what the character would have been like if Tom had played him but IMHO NO-ONE but Harrison could be Indy.
          I've heard that Harrison Ford was actually the third choice for the role. George Lucas didn't want him because he had already put him in American Grafiti and Star Wars, but Selleck and Nick Nolte were both unavailable. (Ford was Speilberg's first choice.) And since I'm already OT, I've heard that the script for Indy 4 has been given a green light by both producer and director, and should start filming...eventually.

Anyway, look, pics:

Unfortunately, I didn't get a screen cap of the passionate kiss that followed the hugging. Oh, wait...

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red
            He's tickling the back of her arm with his little finger. I could do better I suppose if I never left this chair or had the expensive version of Photoshop. Hey, Santa!
            LOL! Wonder who plays 'Santa' on Atlantis? And do good girls get to sit in his lap? ; )

Now, there is a thought. Do they celebrate international holidays? I'd love to see if they have parties of some sort. I mean, does Elizabeth let them have 'social night'? I know it's my professional background and training kicking in, but I'm really interested in the 'social' order aspect of Atlantis.

I think it's going to be interesting to see how she grows as a society. We are already seeing the military/civilian leadership aspect played out and be twisted. I think Earth slowly loses the sense of control over atlantis as time rocks on and a new society with a semblance of government/politics, social strata, relgions, etc is established on the city. It fascinates me to think of how all of that will play out.

-B

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter

[Unfortunately, I didn't get a screen cap of the passionate kiss that followed the hugging.
              'Tis ok darlin...we all got to see how much they wanted to. ; ) Is there any shippier moment than that few seconds after they parted? Those nervous laughs and faces between them told me a lot, lot about where these two characters were heading and what growing feelings they were having for each other.

I think one *great* moment that is overlooked in this scene is when Eliz. first approaches him with that beaming look on her face (she's wanting to smile at him) and she reaches him and just stands there in front of him a moment totally soaking him into her as if trying to imprint his image into her mind. I watch her do that and go 'wow, babygirl you have got a bad, bad case of it.'.

-B ; )

Comment

I just love the look that Shep is giving Elizabeth here

TOGETHER FOREVER,
                NEVER TO BE TORN APART

Comment

Fabulous point!

That really is the only thing you can compare it to. Those two eps Jessica was in were the equivalent of a 'movie', and then Torri came in and took over for the 'series', if that makes any sense.

To be honest, with the Stargate reference, as much as I loved the movie, I can't see anyone but Richard Dean Anderson as Jack O'Neill. I think Kurt Russell's portrayal of the character was so different it's like two separate characters. Now Michael Shanks and James Spader is another story --- when I first saw Michael as Daniel, it was like looking at a Spader clone, because he had the hair and the mannerisms. Now he's made Daniel his own, but in the beginning, his Daniel was very "Spaderesque" for want of a different word!

I'm loving the pics, btw. I think we'll be waiting forever for that ep in Australia.
                  RDA has also stated in interviews that when he was asked to take over the role of Jack in the series he said that only if he could play him his way. There was no way he could play the character the same way that Kurt played it in the movie. Also in an earlier ep(sorry forgot the name) when Jack is in DC and is confronted by a reporter, he tells him that his name has two L's, that there is another Jack O'Neill with only one L and he has no sense of humour. This was a reference to the movie O'Neil as indeed in the movie Jack did only have one L.

I also had a double take when Michael Shanks first appeared on screen in 'COTG' because for a second I thought that is was James Spader. Your right alyssa, he had the hair and the mannerisms down pat but since he cut his hair and buffed up he's made the character his own.

TOGETHER FOREVER,
                  NEVER TO BE TORN APART

Comment

Ok that's it for me tonight. See you all soon.

TOGETHER FOREVER,
                    NEVER TO BE TORN APART

Comment

Originally posted by Bama
                      LOL! Wonder who plays 'Santa' on Atlantis? And do good girls get to sit in his lap? ; )

Now, there is a thought. Do they celebrate international holidays? I'd love to see if they have parties of some sort. I mean, does Elizabeth let them have 'social night'? I know it's my professional background and training kicking in, but I'm really interested in the 'social' order aspect of Atlantis.

I think it's going to be interesting to see how she grows as a society. We are already seeing the military/civilian leadership aspect played out and be twisted. I think Earth slowly loses the sense of control over atlantis as time rocks on and a new society with a semblance of government/politics, social strata, relgions, etc is established on the city. It fascinates me to think of how all of that will play out.

-B
                      Heh, Santa baby. I'm still a little giddy from reading the update to Strawberries. I love that series. I wonder what the man would do for a big juicy watermelon? *whimper* Uh, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, whatever you said I agree with.

BTW:Are you ready for some football? ROLL TIDE!GO HOKIES!
                      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
                        Steen!Weir was rather quirky around everyone, while Higginson!Weir was really only open with Daniel, and only in private. I have to say that I much prefer Torri in the part, and have since the first time I saw her onscreen.
                        I must admit to liking Higginson!Weir a whole lot more than Steen!Weir too.

And in the words of Robert Cooper "Torri is everything that we hoped for as far as the strong female leader of Atlantis" (from the preview to Season 2 on the UK Atlantis DVD)

Last night I was hanging out with my 2 cousins and brought over my atlantis dvd in another attempt to get them hooked. I've done this several times and they seem to be warming up to it. However, when I asked them what they thought of the characters they replied that Teyla needed development, Rodney rocks, John is cool, but Liz is too serious and formal! *headdesk*

My mum loves Rodney, so at least I have someone in my familly who I can talk to about Atlantis. But I must say, you guys are the best!

Comment

My husband and I both feel that Steen was removed as Weir #1 because her physical appearance was too similar to Amanda Tapping. You would think that would be noticed prior to filming. Also don't think Steen had a strong, leadership presence (but that probably could have been developed later). We both prefer Torri in the role.

Have to laugh. .when SG1 began, I too thought TPTB had carried over James Spader into the series. Took me a few episodes to realize it wasn't him. Michael Shanks did a masterful job taking over the reins - it was just seamless. I love him as Daniel, but when I watch the movie, I also love Spader as Daniel. Kurt Russel was a good O'Neill, but he was such a dark character in the film. . .I actually prefer RDA as Jack.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Are you kidding? It's not even 1.30am! Just joking. I think I'm going to get some sleep soon too!!

I will say that after all this Jessica/Torri discussion, I'm glad we've been given the opportunity to see Torri in action with Joe. I love the two of them on screen together (obviously, or I wouldn't be hanging around here!)
                            I wonder what sort of feel we'd have had if Jessica had been in the part --- maybe, as someone said, the Weir/McKay thing would have been huge.

I'm just hoping this series goes on for many, many years, and we get to see more character development from all --- especially Elizabeth, who, in my opinion, has way more possibilities for development than the others.
                            Hey give me a break, I haven't been to bed before 3am for the last week.

I just hope that tptb don't stuff us around with some shippy moments. As much as we'd like to see a proper ship (which I'm sure they won't give us) we'll have to settle for lots of shippy moments.

I know that Elizabeth left a man on Earth, but come on, when I see Simon all I can think of is that he is Narim. He's no match for Shep.

TOGETHER FOREVER,
                            NEVER TO BE TORN APART

Comment

I'm loving the pics, btw. I think we'll be waiting forever for that ep in Australia.
                              For some people maybe.

Steen got booted from NCIS as well did'nt she? Replaced by the hotness that was Kate.

OT NCIS Spoiler
                              Spoiler:
                              I still can't belive they killed her. And that she wanted to leave. Only slightly more shocking than killing Lt. Singer in the pilot.
                              Last edited by macktheknife; 03 September 2005, 07:48 AM.

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

Are you serious she was on NCIS?? Wow. I wonder how the interactions with Tony would have gone with Jessica in that part. Was it the same part??
                                Probably part of it was an age thing (I hate to say this, but TV production is run by men who are often obsessed with how old women are!) I think Jessica's about 40, and Sasha Alexander is about 30, maybe 31.
                                Jessica needs someone to set up a series for her! This is ridiculous!
                                Yeah, she was in the pilot (As Agent Paula Cassidy), then replaced by Kate. God bless her. Tony\Kate OTP NCIS!!!!!

She's been on at least 2 other episodes. The first one she was half suspect half investigator, and of course Tony tried to pick her up (and almost did, and only "lost the chance to get laid" in her own words after she found out he was investigating her for Gibbs).

Have'nt seen the other one, I stopped watching after the channel it's on here either screwed around with the timeslot or stopped showing it for ages, despite the season not ending (sort of like what happens to most shows here, including stargate, and also Malcom in the Middle had the same thing happen, and stopped caring about that show), I used to always watch those, but they screwed around (I have'nt seen Malcom in the Middle for years).

So the character was replaced by ANOTHER character, not the character was kept but the actor replaced.

I think she was (according to IMDB) in the pilot episode of something called "Kojack" then replaced in that too.

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

Working...
                                X