Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    And that's why he's looked so lost for 4 years IMHO.

Poor baby. Not a good weight loss plan.
    Not so much. Even trying to eat lunch today it was like "IM SOOOO HUNGRY but now my tummy's upset."

That was my sister's way of trying to perk me up--"at least you won't gain anything". I trying to look at that as the positive right now.

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
    Pffft. NONE of the actors did commentaries for the s3, either because of unavailibilty or because certain producers/writers wanted the spotlight to themselves.

That was the Best. Commentary. Ever.

I love the actor commentaries and also the ones with Deluise and the guy that plays Walter.
    Agreed on Sanctuary, though I love listening to David Hewlett on "The Storm/The Eye". I can't remember anything memorable Joe F. said on any of his commentaries. I do remember Gero's insisting that 'the hug' in The Siege III could totally be about being so glad someone was alive in a non-romantic way and I was like 'pfffffffffpt whatever.' What I thought was funny was that he knew exactly how people were taking/would take that scene and was back-ped-a-ling. Too bad, Marty. I want to say David Hewlett replied something like 'yeah right, well it was really sweet any way'.

I enjoyed Deluise, but they commented on "Intruder" and totally ignored the Sparky moments, which irritated me. >8D

Why I haven't watched any of them. I would like to watch the Sunday commentary, but given I couldn't bear to watch past 5 mins in and also hearing the commentator, erm, gloat about the deed and how Sheyla-packed it was it would probably be twice as heartbreaking. lol.

SR, didn't you watch some of the s4 commentaries? How are they in terms of quality?

I'm going to go listen to Sanctuary now.
    I couldn't do Sunday if they paid me. I listed to the end of First Strike just to hear what they'd say about Weir's 'demise' and they didn't even really go much into that. Only said something about how it was supposed to be outside on her balcony and she was supposed to blow through the window into the center of the gate room but because of logistics they couldn't get it to work, so she gets blow from the landing to the gateroom floor.
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
      Will you guys annoy the heck out of them by nominating some more please???? I can't even nominate. STOOOPID email/pw problem and they are not responding.
      PM me a list and I shall nominate for you... that is if I don't run into issues first.

SR, didn't you watch some of the s4 commentaries? How are they in terms of quality?
      Doppelganger - who does that?
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I really should try and watch some episodes with commentaries... Can anyone recommend any really good ones... I guess there aren't any were Torri and Joe both do the commentaries, are there? Would have been awesome if there was one...

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          PM me a list and I shall nominate for you... that is if I don't run into issues first.

*kisses FH* thank you!! PM sent.
          sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
            I can't remember anything memorable Joe F. said on any of his commentaries. I do remember Gero's insisting that 'the hug' in The Siege III could totally be about being so glad someone was alive in a non-romantic way and I was like 'pfffffffffpt whatever.'

I enjoyed Deluise, but they commented on "Intruder" and totally ignored the Sparky moments, which irritated me. >8D
            The most memorable thing Joe F said to me was the thing about shipping in Conversion and he was explaining what is was. Hee. And Gero? Pffft.

Yeah, Deluise does tend to ignore the Sparky things, but he's funny anyways so it's worth it. Though I conclude that from those commentaries I do worry about the people on the set at times.

I couldn't do Sunday if they paid me. I listed to the end of First Strike just to hear what they'd say about Weir's 'demise' and they didn't even really go much into that. Only said something about how it was supposed to be outside on her balcony and she was supposed to blow through the window into the center of the gate room but because of logistics they couldn't get it to work, so she gets blow from the landing to the gateroom floor.
            Only episode of s1-s3 I haven't watched is Sunday and I fell asleep during FS because it was pretty boring. I was reading about what they were doing with Weir on her balcony, and it said something in the s3 companion that if she was just on her balcony and not in front of the window she wouldn't get wounded enough. Or soemthing. I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
              I really should try and watch some episodes with commentaries... Can anyone recommend any really good ones... I guess there aren't any were Torri and Joe both do the commentaries, are there? Would have been awesome if there was one...
              -- Any of them with Deluise and Jones.
              -- Any of them with the cast members. Especially multiple cast members together.
              -- Avoid the ones with just Mallozzi or Martin Gero. They will either make you fall asleep or want to throw something.

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                Welcome back Anuna

It's true

That can be annoying. In fairness they do the commentaries months after the ep has been shot, but....

In s4, Amanda did a lot of them (in relative terms) which I thought was odd considering it was only her first year

On a completely unrelated note, I have to go for a couple of days. I think. So happy new year/happy holidays to you all if I don't post before that
                Happy Holidays!

*siiiiiiigggggghhhhhhhh* Nope. I wish.

I think favorites really depend on your favorite actors. I've listened to most of them, but only a couple stand out. My favorites off the top of my head:

The Storm/The Eye: Wood, Hewlett & Gero talk about what it took to make such a massive storm on Atlantis. Hearing about how it was made and what the cast went through making it is awesome and funny at the same time.

Sanctuary: Rachel Luttrell and Torri get together and try to talk about the episode. They really do. Divergences on dogs, yoga, and girly stuff takes place. They pick at Joe Flanigan a bit. Very cute.

The Long Goodbye: Torri Higginson and the director talk about her transformation in TLG. It's a neat commentary where Torri's pretty serious about discussing her role as Weir and her training for a physically tough episode.

I don't really remember the others, but I want to say "The Hot Zone" and "38 Minutes" were also good commentaries. Anything with Paul McGillion is pretty good, he tells great stories. Especially with Rachel Luttrell. I enjoyed S1 commentaries a little better than S2, though S2 had some great contributing voices. I didn't enjoy S3 at all. 'Course, that may have been personal bias, knowing what S4 was to bring. >

Also, just a note--the different 'region' DVDs don't often release the same commentary. For example, I think the "Sanctuary" commentary is only available in certain areas--other disc sets didn't have it, which was a huge shame.
                Last edited by Eri13; 29 December 2008, 11:12 AM.

Comment

-- Any of them with Deluise and Jones.
                  -- Any of them with the cast members. Especially multiple cast members together.
                  -- Avoid the ones with just Mallozzi or Martin Gero. They will either make you fall asleep or want to throw something.
                  Thx! I'll be sure to check them out!
                  Not Mallozzi? His blogs are always amazing, I thought he would be cool too for the commentaries... Thanks for pointing that out... will avoid them and just keep to his blog

Sig by me

Comment

Not Mallozzi? His blogs are always amazing, I thought he would be cool too for the commentaries... Thanks for pointing that out... will avoid them and just keep to his blog
                    I'm not a good judge on Mallozzi. I've never listened to his commentaries, so I don't even know what he sounds like. I didn't think he'd done one in the first 3 seasons, and I haven't bought S4 on DVD (cuz I refuse).

Looking over a commentary list, I also enjoyed "The Lost Boys" commentary (that has Joe Flanigan) and "Critical Mass"--that's sort of a neat commentary.

Comment

*siiiiiiigggggghhhhhhhh* Nope. I wish.

I think favorites really depend on your favorite actors. I've listened to most of them, but only a couple stand out. My favorites off the top of my head:

The Storm/The Eye: Wood, Hewlett & Gero talk about what it took to make such a massive storm on Atlantis. Hearing about how it was made and what the cast went through making it is awesome and funny at the same time.

Sanctuary: Rachel Luttrell and Torri get together and try to talk about the episode. They really do. Divergences on dogs, yoga, and girly stuff takes place. They pick at Joe Flanigan a bit. Very cute.

The Long Goodbye: Torri Higginson and the director talk about her transformation in TLG. It's a neat commentary where Torri's pretty serious about discussing her role as Weir and her training for a physically tough episode.

I don't really remember the others, but I want to say "The Hot Zone" and "38 Minutes" were also good commentaries. Anything with Paul McGillion is pretty good, he tells great stories. Especially with Rachel Luttrell. I enjoyed S1 commentaries a little better than S2, though S2 had some great contributing voices. I didn't enjoy S3 at all.

Also, just a note--the different 'region' DVDs don't often release the same commentary. For example, I think the "Sanctuary" commentary is only available in certain areas--other disc sets didn't have it, which was a huge shame.
                      Thanks for all these! I'll be sure to check them out first!
                      I didn't know about the different extra's/commentaries for other areas. My huge DVD collection is a bit of an all area collection as I have an area-free player. But I never really payed attention to the extra's on the DVD's... Maybe I should do that before buying s5 to see which area has the best extra's and buy that one...

Sig by me

Comment

I really don't know why but I read stalk Sparky instead of talk Sparky... *scratches head in confusion*

One of those "little guys" was the director of that episode, Will Waring. He barely knew what was going on, like he had no clue what it was about. For cryin' out loud, he directed it?!? WTF?!?

That was the only one I was looking forward to hearing and I turned it off midway... The commentaries on the season 3 DVD box are lacking and very poor in quality.

Out of spite, I'd annoy them with every single Elizabeth-fic I like out there.
                        If you think S3 is bad, run like the wind away from S4.

Why I haven't watched any of them. I would like to watch the Sunday commentary, but given I couldn't bear to watch past 5 mins in and also hearing the commentator, erm, gloat about the deed and how Sheyla-packed it was it would probably be twice as heartbreaking. lol.

I'm going to go listen to Sanctuary now.
                        I've listened to all of them and oddly enough I remember S1 the best. Most of those were great. The Rising is worth a listen because of JF and DH. In Conversion I remember JF talking about the kiss and that he was surprised at how they edited it. Everyone is talking at once so he never gets to explain what he meant. He also said he thought the last scene would be less ambiguous. ??? The other guys, I think it's Hewlett and Gero, are teasing him about his faces and he says something about practicing. Anything with Joe is worth it just to hear that dirty laugh of his. Too bad Sheppard never did that.

In most of them in S3 and beyond you just want to kill yourself because all they talk about is lighting and how they set up scenes and so on. They hardly ever talk about the plot. Coup d'Etat is good because on the last scene they talk about Sparky and how they can't keep their hands off each other. One of the few mentions ever.

Cooper and Mark Savela the VFX supervisor. Very technical.

Mallozzi? If you like his blog, you'll probably like his commentaries.
                        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I'm not a good judge on Mallozzi. I've never listened to his commentaries, so I don't even know what he sounds like. I didn't think he'd done one in the first 3 seasons, and I haven't bought S4 on DVD (cuz I refuse).

Looking over a commentary list, I also enjoyed "The Lost Boys" commentary (that has Joe Flanigan) and "Critical Mass"--that's sort of a neat commentary.
                          I'm not sure if I have s4 yet... I thought I bought it, but I think it got lost in one of my many misc DVD boxes... I really should try and get my collection sorted out.
                          I'll check those episodes out too! Thx!

Sig by me

Comment

Coup d'Etat is good because on the last scene they talk about Sparky and how they can't keep their hands off each other. One of the few mentions ever.

*puts Coup d'Etat on her commentaries-to-watch-list*

Alright, I'll check out one commentary by Mallozzi... I absolutely love his blog, so I feel sorta obliged to also see at least one commentary he did and if I think it's good, I can see the others too

Sig by me

Comment

Mallozzi didn't do any? I thought he did one in s3, which I forgot because it was really boring. Might of been That Other Guy. (Mullie). Heh.

And, aforementioned, Gero's okay as long as he's with some of the actors.

Enough said? No highlights? Confessions of adoring Keller worship? Weir-hating by certain people?

In Conversion I remember JF talking about the kiss and that he was surprised at how they edited it. Everyone is talking at once so he never gets to explain what he meant. He also said he thought the last scene would be less ambiguous. ??? The other guys, I think it's Hewlett and Gero, are teasing him about his faces and he says something about practicing. Anything with Joe is worth it just to hear that dirty laugh of his. Too bad Sheppard never did that.
                              Hee, Conversion too was pretty awesome. Might have to listen to that one again. Though I thought only Joe and one producer guy did Rising? I don't remember DH on that one.

Coup d'Etat is good because on the last scene they talk about Sparky and how they can't keep their hands off each other. One of the few mentions ever.
                              Coup was also a good one. I love the video-game talk about the 'tangos' because I geeky like that and could relate.

Comment

I've listened to all of them and oddly enough I remember S1 the best. Most of those were great. The Rising is worth a listen because of JF and DH. In Conversion I remember JF talking about the kiss and that he was surprised at how they edited it. Everyone is talking at once so he never gets to explain what he meant. He also said he thought the last scene would be less ambiguous. ??? The other guys, I think it's Hewlett and Gero, are teasing him about his faces and he says something about practicing. Anything with Joe is worth it just to hear that dirty laugh of his. Too bad Sheppard never did that.

In most of them in S3 and beyond you just want to kill yourself because all they talk about is lighting and how they set up scenes and so on. They hardly ever talk about the plot. Coup d'Etat is good because on the last scene they talk about Sparky and how they can't keep their hands off each other. One of the few mentions ever.

Cooper and Mark Savela the VFX supervisor. Very technical.

Ooo! I'm going to have to pop in Coup d'Etat just to hear that. I can't believe I didn't remember it!

I think I don't remember more of Joe F. because I was expecting him to be chatty (not knowing much about him behind-the-scenes) and he was rather quiet in most things, particularly where there is someone who talks more talking over him.

Yeah, ITA on S3. I'm a person who loves listening to stuff about production, lighting, etc (I listened to the Sound & Viz FX commentary and enjoyed them on the extended LOTR discs, if that gives you an idea) and I found S3 commentaries very boring.

Comment

Working...
                                X