Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nogigglingmajor View Post
    The African Queen? OMG! I can totally see thaT, even if it was completely modernised they could still pull it off. I am SO in need of sparky fic.
    I'm writing one at the moment. It's a Sunday Fathers tag Then I'll do more Sunday Fathers.
    I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      Bummer! But I do hope you'll be here when we 'thon Poisoning the Well. It just won't be the same without you there to squee over Carson!

And speaking of this week's 'thon... T-minus 13 hours! Are you ready, Sparkies?
      I won't be joining you today. Have fun and add a bit of snark for me.

Originally posted by Pajus View Post
      You girls should get yourselves some Czech beer. Best beer on this planet
      Send me a case.

Originally posted by hopalong View Post
      Can't contribute to the discussion about beer, as I don't know much about it and don't like drinking the stuff.

Just a thought. As John comes from a rich background, would he have had a more cultured upbringing? Would this include a knowledge of literature (War and Peace notwithstanding?

The question's a little out of the blue, but as it was mentioned about his background, it just occurred to me. You see, a couple of years back I wrote a Valentine fic where John insisted on waxing poetical, and I've always wondered whether that was too oot

Also adding the next wallpaper/sig set.

Wallpaper:
      http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4536/insideoutjefs7.th.jpg

Sig:
      http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7...utjesigjb4.jpg
      Beautiful art.

I think John would have been more cultured. I can't attest to what rich people talk about at home. LOL But I would imagine they have more books around and an educated set of friends who talk about things other than work and household chores. John also may have gotten the chance to travel as a kid and would have learned cultural things that way. Didn't he say in Outcast that the house there was just one of several homes he grew up in? It seemed like they had good taste and were "old money" as opposed to "new money" which can make a world of difference in terms of culture. I don't know if other countries use those terms but "old money" means you've been rich for at least a couple of generations. lol New money tends to be flashy. I don't see John's family like that.

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
      Actually that's not true. In Hide and Seek we see him reading a book and he's somewhere near the middle. TPTW made him a bookworm, this is just fanfic writers putting a stereotype on him.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...bscap0110.jpG]
      That bugs me too. But I blame the writers. When have we seen him reading a book lately? Nowadays it's golf and surfing magazines. *glares at TPTW* Though I would imagine with all he's been through that he's having trouble concentrating on anything deep. Yeah, that's it. The heavy lit reminds him of Elizabeth.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        Brasserie Beck Great place. Picture Elizabeth taking John there when they go to Washington. He asks for Budweiser.
        Looks yummy and so many beers... ... I can imagine an Atlantis dinner from The Return maybe.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        That bugs me too. But I blame the writers. When have we seen him reading a book lately? Nowadays it's golf and surfing magazines. *glares at TPTW* Though I would imagine with all he's been through that he's having trouble concentrating on anything deep. Yeah, that's it. The heavy lit reminds him of Elizabeth.
        And don't forget the Nintendo DS.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          Looks yummy and so many beers... ... I can imagine an Atlantis dinner from The Return maybe.

And don't forget the Nintendo DS.
          Yep. John seems to have lost substance lately. I was going to say IQ points, but just because you play video games doesn't mean you're stupid. He's always had a big popular culture connection which was interesting since he read War and Peace in private. A part of trying to play dumb I guess. For some reason with both him and Jack the writers thought if they seemed too smart it would diminish their action hero persona. Don't they know women like smart guys?

But I can imagine that Elizabeth was the only one who got the full benefit of John's big 'ol brain. And now I distracted myself from that intellectual conversation and headed back to the gutter. *pinches self*
          sigpic

Comment

On new and old money... we have similar terms in Croatian which essentially mean the same thing.

I see John as a modes guy, someone who doesn't push his family money into people's faces. I think his mom was a down to Earth person who taught him, among other things, how to play guitar and treat all people like people, given they deserve his respect. I don't see arrogance about him in any way.

Elizabeth's folks probably weren't that rich, but I can imagine her having a father who was a diplomat or something like that and traveled around the world. Elizabeth could find any country on the map and name all capital cities by the age of five. I can imagine her collecting postcards her Dad had sent. OMG, a cute plot bunny!

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
              On new and old money... we have similar terms in Croatian which essentially mean the same thing.

I see John as a modes guy, someone who doesn't push his family money into people's faces. I think his mom was a down to Earth person who taught him, among other things, how to play guitar and treat all people like people, given they deserve his respect. I don't see arrogance about him in any way.

Elizabeth's folks probably weren't that rich, but I can imagine her having a father who was a diplomat or something like that and traveled around the world. Elizabeth could find any country on the map and name all capital cities by the age of five. I can imagine her collecting postcards her Dad had sent. OMG, a cute plot bunny!
              So true about both of them. Though I think now that I know about JF's family background, I'm having a bit of trouble separating him from John. Especially since they made John from a wealthy family. Wonder if they did that on purpose? I know he could have played him as less well off. His family certainly doesn't flaunt their money.
              sigpic

Comment

Ditto SR. I can still imagine John as average family son. It's hard imagining him as a rich, spoiled kid when I know he lacked care and love when he needed it.

*coughs*

Cold and a fever. And I can't smell anything. Gah, how I hate it!!!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies!

Check in for today's post-a-thon begins now!

Today we've got another double-header coming your way: Suspicion, followed by Childhood's End.

Procedure is the same as always: Pop in Disc 2 of Season 1, go to the Episode Selection menu and highlight Suspicion (but do not push Play!). Let us know you're ready!
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Damn, I am just loving the discussion on John's background...
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I'm here and ready

Comment

Okay, I'm here, M-CharmedAlantian is here, SR won't be here (waaah! we'll miss you!).

Anyone else?

T-minus One minute!

Comment

play!!!!

Comment

Ooooh! More FBI warnings!

btw, my internet is running slow, so I'll probably be lagging behind you guys a bit!

Ooooh, recap!

Comment

Uh, gate's open, team's coming in hot!

Comment

Wraith stunners! Hit the deck!

Comment

Working...
                                X