Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruined_puzzle View Post
    HAHAHA, I was talking about in general Doctor Who has broken my heart. Like Doomsday, yeah I bawled my eyes. I really wish SGA had had that kind of impact on me. It took reading a fic about Elizabeth being held captive by the replicators for me to truly realize just how heartbreaking it was. Just how much it hurts is not because the show gave me that but because the story actually manged to go where the show didn't. The fact that Elizabeth was probably being tortured never crossed my mind until I actually read that fic. I find that actually kind of sad. The thing is SGA is like Eureka that it's a drama but it's a light drama and I was okay with that, but then SGA tried to go dark, like let's say BSG dark, but they never followed through. It was more like superficial dark, oh hey look we can kill off important people too but they never allowed that to go anywhere. They never bothered exploring what that kind of loss does to people beyond one episode. You can't try to be dark and then just forget what happened in that episode. It doesn't work like that, because then the show just looks badly written. To me Doctor Who was the only show that got the right mixture of angst, angst, angst with happy happy. I think SGA tried to grow but either they were too afraid to go where they needed to go to actually grow or tptb actually thought that they were going somewhere. Using excuses like it's been months since the last episode doesn't cut it. Why are we skipping months? Is it because they can't bother to actually write the fallout of their actions.
    Great post, and ITA. I'd green you but apparently I give my Sparkies too many greens because it won't let me green anyone these days.

You're right, though, and that's why I can't come back to SGA like I could to DW or some of the other shows I consider great examples of storytelling--because they didn't follow through on story. Losing Elizabeth equated to losing Rose after S2 on DW, but on DW they respected her loss--and they completely could have gone the other way since Billie Piper chose to leave--they could have been mean and spiteful, but they weren't. They respected her by giving her and The Doctor a great, saddening storyline, then remembered her importance the year after she was gone. Not hugely, it wasn't all Rose angst, but it was here and there where it counted. That made me so happy I totally stuck with the show and survived Rose's loss as The Doctor survived it.

If they'd done that with Elizabeth, I might have stuck with SGA.
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Just caught Rising on the TV for the first time in... a long time, actually, and I had completely forgotten how the whole balcony thing came about. I love how they just... walked through a door, and there it was, waiting for them. Like it was meant to be that they would spend many a sleepness night making out having deep conversations there.

Samantha

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
        Tonight is the finale episode of Series 4 for us Americans. I know there's going to be angst, angst, angst but I'm still excited.
        It's an absolute rollercoaster ride... but it's worth it. Every human emotion which exists will be able to express itself during this episode.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
          Give me some other really kinky place.
          » How about Landry's office? Caldwell's captain chair on the Daedalus?

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
          So I wrote a fic today. Major hankie warning.

When I see the sun again

Looks like I'm in a heart shattering mood lately.
          » *tear*

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
            » How about Landry's office? Caldwell's captain chair on the Daedalus?
            Oooh, there's a thought! While they're on Earth for a regularly-scheduled review with the SGC/IOA? Ah, there's nothing more exciting than the threat of being caught!
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Anuna - "When I See The Sun Again" was heartbreakingly beautiful. I'd love to see a continuation of the reunion scene at the end..... LOL
              sigpic
              Signature by Erin87

Comment

HAHAHA, I was talking about in general Doctor Who has broken my heart. Like Doomsday, yeah I bawled my eyes. I really wish SGA had had that kind of impact on me. It took reading a fic about Elizabeth being held captive by the replicators for me to truly realize just how heartbreaking it was. Just how much it hurts is not because the show gave me that but because the story actually manged to go where the show didn't. The fact that Elizabeth was probably being tortured never crossed my mind until I actually read that fic. I find that actually kind of sad. The thing is SGA is like Eureka that it's a drama but it's a light drama and I was okay with that, but then SGA tried to go dark, like let's say BSG dark, but they never followed through. It was more like superficial dark, oh hey look we can kill off important people too but they never allowed that to go anywhere. They never bothered exploring what that kind of loss does to people beyond one episode. You can't try to be dark and then just forget what happened in that episode. It doesn't work like that, because then the show just looks badly written. To me Doctor Who was the only show that got the right mixture of angst, angst, angst with happy happy. I think SGA tried to grow but either they were too afraid to go where they needed to go to actually grow or tptb actually thought that they were going somewhere. Using excuses like it's been months since the last episode doesn't cut it. Why are we skipping months? Is it because they can't bother to actually write the fallout of their actions.
                Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                Great post, and ITA. I'd green you but apparently I give my Sparkies too many greens because it won't let me green anyone these days.

You're right, though, and that's why I can't come back to SGA like I could to DW or some of the other shows I consider great examples of storytelling--because they didn't follow through on story. Losing Elizabeth equated to losing Rose after S2 on DW, but on DW they respected her loss--and they completely could have gone the other way since Billie Piper chose to leave--they could have been mean and spiteful, but they weren't. They respected her by giving her and The Doctor a great, saddening storyline, then remembered her importance the year after she was gone. Not hugely, it wasn't all Rose angst, but it was here and there where it counted. That made me so happy I totally stuck with the show and survived Rose's loss as The Doctor survived it.

If they'd done that with Elizabeth, I might have stuck with SGA.
                Damn. RP, Eri, the forum won't let me green either of you, so I'm sending MENTAL GREEN to you both!
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

» *avoids Dr Who spoilers like the plague*

» Yes, I just began watching, and am staying spoilerfree *g*

Comment

» Yes, I just began watching, and am staying spoilerfree *g*
                    Good on you. Where are you at?

Damn, I wish my beta would reply already so I can post that one little drabble I wrote that has a smidgen of Sparky in it. Not to mention the other 20 drabbles I wrote for Lost City Found but was too late to post anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Good on you. Where are you at?
                      » Just the first episode, because my computer's been idiotic

Comment

» Just the first episode, because my computer's been idiotic
                        Oh, you're a Whovian in the making...

Comment

» Hee! *g*

» Well, I have to go off to drive now. Wish me luck

Comment

» Hee! *g*

» Well, I have to go off to drive now. Wish me luck
                            Good luck! You can do it!

Comment

Sorry to butt into the convo, but do you remember what it was called? Sounds interesting.
                              sigpic

Comment

So, all these fics... Where do they come from? As in, I'm seriously fic deprived and could do with a new source.

Comment

Working...
                                X