Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red
    IMHO most of those who talk about Elizabeth's age are being disingenuous. It's all they can think of to give as a reason why they can't be romantically involved. Kind of humorous really when you look at John's real age and all the empty headed near-teenagers he was matched up with last season.

Now for my next report on The Official Companion Season 2. In discussing TLG, David Hewlett refers to John and Elizabeth as "mum and dad". Hee. As opposed to JF who has said that he doesn't want them to disagree, TH expresses regret that they no longer fight. She feels that "It's like a fight with someone in the family. It hurts your heart a lot more than a fight with a stranger. So I hope that Caldwell doesn't take that completely, because I think it's interesting to explore the relationship with Weir and Sheppard that way." Earlier she said that Brad Wright backed off the conflict between their characters because of web messages saying that the viewers didn't want to see these people at odds. So, hmm. I think they need to be made to understand how hot the fighting really is. I'm thinking about Irresistible
    Spoiler:
    when he got in her face about Lucius and hoping they see how that worked.
    And I see their response to web messages as a good thing.
    Thanks for Sharing! Keep on reading.

Yes, I certainly would love to see a little conflict. "Mum and Dad" need a little disagreement every once in awhile. Keeps the relationship fresh!
    sigpic

Comment

IMHO most of those who talk about Elizabeth's age are being disingenuous. It's all they can think of to give as a reason why they can't be romantically involved. Kind of humorous really when you look at John's real age and all the empty headed near-teenagers he was matched up with last season.
      Yup, when other arguments and reasons dry up, they reach for the "oh she's too old for him!" one. Reminds me of the same "reason" I hear at times as a Grissom/Sara fan*

So, hmm. I think they need to be made to understand how hot the fighting really is. I'm thinking about Irresistible
      Spoiler:
      when he got in her face about Lucius and hoping they see how that worked.
      And I see their response to web messages as a good thing.
      It was a good scene.
      Spoiler:
      I would've liked it even better if Elizabeth was herself there, however.
      Maybe something like Hot Zone
      This brings back that wonderful fic idea Ronnikins put down about a power struggle of sorts between John and Elizabeth long ago

Comment

Originally posted by lizzyana
        I board already to look at all the episodes, and I do not see
        Sheppard looking at his colleagues of his team like that!
        Heh, so true

Okay, so I'm a little empty with pics of that kind.....

Comment

Originally posted by Pocus
          This subject pops up every once in awhile.

I am not sure what all the fuss is about age. Having a close relationship, IMHO, has nothing to do with being close in age and whether "he" is older than "she" is. I know couples that are decades apart and have a relationship that has lasted thru hardships and good times. I also have a family member who is married to a woman at least 7 years older than he is. They are a very close couple, they adore their children, and give all indication that they are in this for life.

I have always thought a relationship should be based on having the same core values (family, ethics, even financial values). It is based on trust and support of each other. Most of all, IMO, it is based on respect of the other half of your partnership. You may like different things or be diametrically opposed to some views that your partner has, but without respecting the person, you have NO relationship.

John and Elizabeth have shown trust and support of each other. They most definitely respect each other. They will butt heads on occasion, especially given their backgrounds (such that we know of ). I believe that even if she was older than he was, they have the makings of a great Partnership, Friendship, Romantic ship.

I know she is not older, but how would that matter anyway?
          I agree! It puzzles me greatly why people are so ageist when it comes to ship! I mean look at Sam and Jack! Whether you ship for them or not the fact remains that it's a 100% authentic, canon ship in the eyes of TPTB (well maybe not RCC but I digress ) and yet Jack is a decade (and some change) older than Sam! So what? I have no problem with Sparky, regardless of age, and I don't even watch Atlantis!
          Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by Vixen
            Yup, when other arguments and reasons dry up, they reach for the "oh she's too old for him!" one. Reminds me of the same "reason" I hear at times as a Grissom/Sara fan*
            Its interesting that some people say Weir is so OLD for John, but they don't have any problem with John being too old for Teyla. Going by the studio bios (which are CANON), Sheppard was 35-40, and Teyla was 20-25 when the series started, which means Sheppard could be 10 years older, or as much as 20 years older (daddy fixation anyone?).

I guess that's different.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

bieautiful image to shweir!!

Comment

Now for my next report on The Official Companion Season 2. In discussing TLG, David Hewlett refers to John and Elizabeth as "mum and dad". Hee.
                OMG! That is exactly like one of the avatars I use on Livejournal, and it's one of my favorites:

Avatar made the awesome samjack_girl

Hee hee, that quote combined with that image will make me happy all day.

*waits patiently (not) for amazon to send her damn SGA season 2 guide . . .*
                sigpic

Comment

Next installment on the Companion Season 2 review: Mitch Pileggi also refers to Weir and Sheppard as "mom and dad" when talking about TLG. Must be a trend.

RL says romance from Teyla could come from a "surprising" place and that she has "noone in particular" in mind for a love interest when asked specifically about the possibility of Sheyla. I guess the person who wrote this book doesn't watch the show because she says Sheyla was "touched on" in season 2. I guess she means
                  Spoiler:
                  the frontal assault in Conversion but who knows?
                  I've about made up my mind that everyone connected with this show is a 15 year old male. No offense to those men in the thread who have a mental age beyond this. There's quite a lot of talk of the Ronon/Teyla relationship but only along the siblings line. But using my sekrit mindreading skilz I know both Jason and Rachel are just dying to have a romance between their characters. Fer shur! *Are we feeling sarcastic today? Oh yeah.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Ah, the age thing rears its ugly head again.

TH and JF are less than five years apart in age IRL. Their characters... going by the time-in-grade requirements to make certain ranks, as Melyanna said earlier, John had to be around 38 by the time of Intruder. And Elizabeth turned 36 in Before I Sleep so would be coming on for 38 now.

Funnily enough, I find this whole age difference "problem" that certain people seem to have, quite amusing. My father and new stepmother have a ten-year age difference. Age is just a number...

Comment

OK, I don't watch Atlantis but I'm reconsidering after tonight...

1) John Sheppard *thunk*
                      2) Dr Carson Beckett *thunk*
                      3) Michael Kenmore (aka Tripp from 'Enterprise') *thunk*
                      4) SPARKY!!!

... I'm thinking I should give it a shot!
                      Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

On the age thing-
                        Even if Weir was a bit older than John, by the time people are in their mid to late 30s a year or 2 really doesn't make a whole lot of diference. My parents met and married when they were mid-30s, and no one thought it odd that my mother was 2 years older than my father (though they married unusually late for their generation).

The whole thing reminds me of when I was growing up and a frequent sentiment from "older" (ie: college age) people was "don't trust anyone over 30". I'd guess that a lot of those who think Elizabeth is "too old" for John are (well) under 30 themselves. Or assume that John is much younger than he really is because Flannigan looks young, forgetting the connection between age & rank.

Whether we go with the "official" ages (which I think makes John a bit older) or use the actors' ages (basically the same), which are just a bit older and probably more accurate for the positions they hold, neither is too old for the other. They're adults, with all the life experiences that implies, which IMO makes them a good pair, whether as friends or something more.
                        DDC

Comment

Just popping in with some pointless hopes for TRW:

Spoiler:
                          I hope John calls her by her first name while she's in a coma...or afterwards....or both. I admit, shippy moment or not, I just melt when he says her name. Combine him saying her name with being worried over her condition.....*contented sigh**uncontrollable grin*

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM
                            OK, I don't watch Atlantis but I'm reconsidering after tonight...

1) John Sheppard *thunk*
                            2) Dr Carson Beckett *thunk*
                            3) Michael Kenmore (aka Tripp from 'Enterprise') *thunk*
                            4) SPARKY!!!

... I'm thinking I should give it a shot!
                            Yippee! Aw, Amber - I knew you'd come into the fold. The Sparky (and the thunking) is just too much to ignore!
                            sigpic

Comment

Hello to all,

New poster here on this thread. I am a WOW supporter (Watches Only Weir) and I have finally given in to the "Closet Sparky" in me (with the help of some special friends). I am in denial so much before, because I wanted them remain friends still since it's too early for SGA, but it is inevitable. I have read the fanfics, watch a couple of Sparky vids, and squee'd a wee bit when
                              Spoiler:
                              they hugged in The Seige 3
                              Hope to have fun with ya all.

And as a token of my Sparky coming out of the closet, a pic spam:
                              Spoiler:

and to make all of your hearts race with excitement so all your blood pressures go sky high:
                              WARNING: not for the weak of heart!

Spoiler:

Leader. Diplomat. Beauty. Brains.

Comment

Welcome AmberLM and Pong. Did you meet sparky on your way out of the closet
                                sigpic
                                My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Working...
                                X