Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bama
    The idea of him threatening doctors on her behalf would be yummy indeed and I do believe he would do it. Any kind of near Elizabeth death would rock him to the core. He's used to dealing with the idea of his 'warriors'/team looking the possibility of death and/or dismemberment in the eye and he accepts it. But he doesn't seem to accept such for Elizabeth. She's in a different 'box' in his mind and he's about to have to face some realities I hope and do some self-examination.
    ITA........True..I believe someone earlier equated it with
    Spoiler:
    "Conversion," though with the roles reversed
    and I like that comparison, but even in that ep
    Spoiler:
    Elizabeth was "used" to John's close calls with death (I use quotes because I don't think anyone could ever get so accustomed to near-death scares that they become inconsequential). As you said, John has Elizabeth in a box. I have an odd parallel...so random I am hesitant to include it, but I like it, so here it is

(major spoilers for Star Wars extended universe)
    Spoiler:
    In a somewhat recent novel, when Chewbacca is killed, Han goes silent and deserts his family for like a year because he does not know how to deal with the grief. I know this is a long shot, but here is what I find similar to John's situation: Han had had everyone in his family and extended family in their own little "bubble" for so long because they always seemed to make it through the dangerous situations and close calls. When something tragic finally did happen to one of them, he couldn't handle his emotions. It was only after he realized the error of his illusion--that that bubble no longer existed, or that it really never did--that he was able to mend his relationships and start over.

TRW won't be as harsh (i.e. we know Elizabeth won't die ), but it's the same kind of thing.. (And I've rambled for so long I forgot my original point to all this!)

I put a spoiler tag inside a spoiler tag...I didn't even know that was possible....I'm making things up all over the place!
    BTW, a big Roll TIDE! to you in T-town fellow Bama gal. We Bama girls seem to have the best taste in relationships. Are you an alum/student at UA?
    I'm an undergrad alum and a current grad student. Lived in T-town all my life. Roll Tide!

Comment

Originally posted by Marbles

I'm an undergrad alum and a current grad student. Lived in T-town all my life. Roll Tide!
      I feel left out...
      My Myspace (doesn't that seem redundant?)

Sig courtesy of Whistler84, R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by firedust22
        I feel left out...
        Am I missing something...?

Comment

Originally posted by Blower'sGate
          We're talking a lot about TRW here, but Progeny sounds really interesting for our favourite ship too. And I'd like to add that those two episodes may finally be the opportunity to show what Weir's capable of as a leader
          Spoiler:
          under certain circumstances, in dangereous situations like it seems to be shown in Progeny's preview.
          If you're interested in Progeny spoilers, I have a rather comprehensive summary of the sides for this particular episode here.
          Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
          Last update: 14 April 2006
          Melyanna's Multimedia
          Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Am I missing something...?

I never meet any one that has been to or is from eastern Washington on this thread, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
              If you're interested in Progeny spoilers, I have a rather comprehensive summary of the sides for this particular episode here.

OOH! Spiolers!! *POUNCES*

Comment

I never meet any one that has been to or is from eastern Washington on this thread, that's all.
                Hmmm...neither have I.... I think we have ourselves a little off-topic misunderstanding here. We're talking Alabama....where'd Washington come from?

Back on topic:

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna

And this is about four or five days away *sighs*

Why is it when you want something right away, it seems like it takes forever to come to you?

Thanks Melyanna!
                  sigpic

Great Chemistry Starts with Great Sparks

Comment

Even though there wasn't much Sparky in the episode, I think some of people would still be interested in the transcript for "Sateda".

It can be found here.
                    ~Athena

Comment

As you said, John has Elizabeth in a box. I have an odd parallel...so random I am hesitant to include it, but I like it, so here it is

(major spoilers for Star Wars extended universe)
                      Spoiler:
                      In a somewhat recent novel, when Chewbacca is killed, Han goes silent and deserts his family for like a year because he does not know how to deal with the grief. I know this is a long shot, but here is what I find similar to John's situation: Han had had everyone in his family and extended family in their own little "bubble" for so long because they always seemed to make it through the dangerous situations and close calls. When something tragic finally did happen to one of them, he couldn't handle his emotions. It was only after he realized the error of his illusion--that that bubble no longer existed, or that it really never did--that he was able to mend his relationships and start over.
                      Ha! I love that you made that parallel analysis with SW because I've been thinking about that exact same thing lately myself. Weird. Glad to see someone else reads those books too.

Star Wars/Atlantis spoilers:
                      Spoiler:
                      If Liz ever died, which I seriously doubt would happen, I could totally see John doing exactly what Han did. Despite all of the close calls I don't think John really expects anyone to die. I mean, that little comment he made to Caldwell about how "you make it sound like we need help a lot" reminded me of that kind of Han Solo attitude, brushing off all of the dangerous/near-death situations they've had. That's especially true of Liz, as you said, because she's even further situated in that bubble. She isn't usually in potentially dangerous situations so he completely blinds himself to the fact that she could be seriously hurt.

There's also the whole "I can save them" mentality which I think feeds into this. Even when it seems like death is imminent for someone, John always thinks he can save them (and he almost always does). So this upcoming situation with Liz will really hit him, I think, because not only is it striking him in a place he thought was safe but he can't fight it, he can't save her (in the traditional sense at least).

Ok...ranting done now.

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Athenaktt
                        Even though there wasn't much Sparky in the episode, I think some of people would still be interested in the transcript for "Sateda".

It can be found here.
                        Thanks so much for that one, Athenaktt.
                        Awesome sig made by *E*K*R*. Thanks!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stef
                          Star Wars/Atlantis spoilers:
                          Spoiler:
                          If Liz ever died, which I seriously doubt would happen, I could totally see John doing exactly what Han did. Despite all of the close calls I don't think John really expects anyone to die. I mean, that little comment he made to Caldwell about how "you make it sound like we need help a lot" reminded me of that kind of Han Solo attitude, brushing off all of the dangerous/near-death situations they've had. That's especially true of Liz, as you said, because she's even further situated in that bubble. She isn't usually in potentially dangerous situations so he completely blinds himself to the fact that she could be seriously hurt.

There's also the whole "I can save them" mentality which I think feeds into this. Even when it seems like death is imminent for someone, John always thinks he can save them (and he almost always does). So this upcoming situation with Liz will really hit him, I think, because not only is it striking him in a place he thought was safe but he can't fight it, he can't save her (in the traditional sense at least).

Ok...ranting done now.

-Stef
                          Sheppard is the "Han Solo" of the Stargate franchise.
                          I do agree with the whole "I can save them" attitude. That's probably what got him his black mark. If the "I can save them" thing doesn't work, then the "I will just kill them all" attitude takes over(thinking Liz was dead in The Eye). I think that attitude also may have come from the fact that he appearently has no family so that lets him take more risks because he might believe that no one would miss him if he died. John is a loner, whether by choice or not. I doubt he was much of a team player before Atlantis and even then he didn't choose to have a team, that was sort of thrust upon him.

Spoiler:
                          One another Shep related discussion, I read on the Sateda review thread, people talking about the little hint into Shep's past. Someone was joking around saying that Shep's parents were probably gunned down in an alley when he was a kid, and he eventually became the capped crusader, like Batman. LOL. I guess the whole loner thing comes back into play there.
                          Last edited by gambit; 06 August 2006, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Hey, I was just in eastern Washington last weekend; does that count?

Back on topic...I found that I really liked Sateda, even the
                            Spoiler:
                            J/T conversation. I thought it was wonderful that we were finally getting to see Teyla and John interact as friends and teammates. I also really liked the whole "go team!" feel of this episode. I really hope that they continue to flesh out the team and character dynamics that are finally going somewhere this season...and that includes the John/Elizabeth dynamic, of course.

And I'm so glad that Progeny is almost here! Finally,
                            Spoiler:
                            Elizabeth wearing a vest offworld!
                            as well as the upcoming angst possibilities in TRW. Looking forward to it! *crosses fingers*
                            Thanks to Leelakin for the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by gambit
                              Sheppard is the "Han Solo" of the Stargate franchise.
                              I do agree with the whole "I can save them" attitude. That's probably what got him his black mark. If the "I can save them" thing doesn't work, then the "I will just kill them all" attitude takes over(thinking Liz was dead in The Eye). I think that attitude also may have come from the fact that he appearently has no family so that lets him take more risks because he might believe that no one would miss him if he died. John is a loner, whether by choice or not. I doubt he was much of a team player before Atlantis and even then he didn't choose to have a team, that was sort of thrust upon him.
                              One of the most enlightening conversations I've ever had about Sheppard was when Major Fischer casually mentioned to me that almost all helicopters in the Air Force are used for search and rescue efforts, to save the crews of downed fixed-wing craft. Suddenly everything clicked for me – I have a feeling that he was very protective before joining the military, but the instinct to save people would have been trained into him. He apparently risked a lot in Afghanistan to save people, and I think he probably also has the idea that if someone dies, he has to make that death worth something, like with Elizabeth in The Eye. Her death was going to inspire him to truly prevent the Genii from taking the city. After all, while she was still alive, he was at the brink of surrender to keep her alive.
                              Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                              Last update: 14 April 2006
                              Melyanna's Multimedia
                              Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Hey all you Sparkyers...I am still here..just been busy lately that, and I am getting ready to go to the Chicago con ..just wanted to pop in and say hello to all of you whom are great fellow Sparkyers

but off to bed now...g'night
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X