No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with emily. I guess I prefer Shep/Weir, but if there not together, I'd rather Teyla then someone else. But I don't think it works as they can't see it happening. I can see both happening really. But we haven't realy had much to go on. Sam and Jack hooked up in the fourth episode. The only action we've had is Shep holding weirs hand. I mean - Wooptie do!

Hopefully, Season 2 will give us a little more on that.
    Support SHEX, wear a shirt ... I did!

Comment

ooh, does this mean i'm not the only mutil-shipper anymore??!! coolies!

yeah, most of the stuff we've had to go on for any ship is some caring, lots of juicy and wonderful angst, and lots of looks, glances, and gazes... and, lovely as that is, there isn't much beyond that yet... as someone pointed out earlier, it is actually mcweir that's had the most affectionate physical contact yet in the form of them putting their arms around each other in the eye... i'd love to see more stuff like that in ALL my ships next season.. even just a hand on a shoulder!! i'd love to see more of that just little things

Comment

Hey yeah, I forgot about the hug. And thats true. As far as I'm concerned every possible couple can be expected at this point, it's really not clear who the next Jack/Sam is. I just hope it's someone, it'd suck if there was none. I can't believe I'm talking about the relationship side of the show. My gosh!
        Support SHEX, wear a shirt ... I did!

Comment

I don't want any Atlantis couple to become the next "Sam/Jack" cause I want TPTB to do things better than they had in SG1.
          Don't get me wrong, I'm a SJ shipper but if I try to be really honest, there wasn't much during these 8 years. You can count on one hand the number of times they kissed or even talked about their feelings (and "talk" is a big word for what they really did). They were so bound by their desire to follow rules (even Jack who's not so rebel as he may seem at first sight) that they get in a relationship of "forbidden love" and all we get to see is one step forward, 2 steps back.
          I don't want Shep/Weir to go into this kind of relationship. I want to see their relationship slowly growing, even if it means we won't get to see more than hand holding in the next 2 seasons.

As for Shep/Teyla, sorry but I don't see anything between these 2. In Rising maybe, but it was so obvious it was not even interesting. And since Rising, I never saw anything more than working partners. He needs her for her knowledges on planets and their inhabitants. She needs him to protect her people from the Wraith. That's it. Even in Home
          Spoiler:
          where there was a possibility for TPTB show Shep/Teyla ship, he doesn't seem very interested that she's with him in his house. And when she comes back from her shopping, no compliment, no teasing or flirting looks. He just looks bored

But that's my way of seeing things. I understand if people see things differently
          Last edited by florence; 18 April 2005, 07:18 AM.
          Flo ~ FBI - Proud Shep Thunker - Proud member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team !

Comment

I can see where Caty is coming from in being slightly cautious in going with one or another ship pairing. Lets face it TPTB hardly have a great track record when it comes to "ship" in general, and seem to have managed to annoy pro and anti's in equal measures over the time.

When SGA started there were initially noises coming out about no ship and then a Shep / Teyla focus from TPTB. From my perspective, I went into SGA not specifically looking for anything and I was just really enjoying the characterisations and plots. Then I found that I was particularly drawn to the characters of Weir and Sheppard as individuals. I liked that there were these two obviously highly intelligent, mature and strong people forced through circumstances and events to face some amazing challenges both emotionally and physically. It just came across as actually interesting to watch and I guess I identified in some ways with them, particularly Weir. So maybe I was pre-deposed to some form of pairing between them although to me I really only started to see more from The Eye / Storm. If I go back now and view earlier episodes I can see more of the bond and certainly post The Eye / Storm there seems to be much more Sheppard/Weir and less Sheppard/Teyla.

I think there is a pretty strongly held feeling in this Thread that initially TPTB were going to go with a Shep / Teyla pairing but for whatever reason, it just doesn't spark on screen. On the other side of this, and I think completely unscripted initially, there is a spark between TH and JF that comes across and that people started to pick up on. Certainly as the season moves on, there seems to be little subtle nuances and changes in their relationship.
            Personally, I think TPTB have abandoned any Shep / Teyla line and if spoilers are anything to go by we may in fact see
            Spoiler:
            more of a Teyla / Ronon Dex pairing

But I must say, that "ship" to me is much more than a romance. I really hope that we see a mature, open and honest approach to any relationship there is between Sheppard and Weir. I think their friendship and committment to each other as leaders and people is so important and in many ways much more interesting viewing. I just hope TPTB are genuine enough to allow progression to be natural rather than forcing anything upon us. We can but hope!

Comment

Originally posted by John_Sheppard
              I agree with emily. I guess I prefer Shep/Weir, but if there not together, I'd rather Teyla then someone else. But I don't think it works as they can't see it happening. I can see both happening really. But we haven't realy had much to go on. Sam and Jack hooked up in the fourth episode. The only action we've had is Shep holding weirs hand. I mean - Wooptie do!

Hopefully, Season 2 will give us a little more on that.
              Sam and Jack hooked up in the fourth episode? *scratches head* oh you mean the Broca Divide...

Ack.

I'm sorry, I'm just don't want ship to take over the show, so hand-holding, is just fine and totally appropriate. Full-on rampant snogging is not for me.

And Sheppard/Teyla, rather spork my eyes out.

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
                Thanks for the rec Blue, I really need to get that one updated. Maybe this week!
                Such a nice fic with great input from the other characters, not just Sheppard and Weir. Love Ford and Beckett in it, plus I always get a great image of Sheppard singing 'Fly Me to the Moon'. Never fails to make me smile.

Comment

Updated To Be Continued:

Chapter Twelve

Sorry I haven't been online much, busy week lol! But as always found time to write fan fic

Comment

Sam and Jack got together in Broca Divide? That's an interesting interpretation of "together", and I'm not sure there's a Sam/Jack shipper alive who would say that's what happened.

So at this point, McKay/Weir has had the two of them under threat of death, huddling for warmth in a hurricane. This is romantic? I mean, I can understand how people who already liked the ship really liked that moment, but we can't read that as something other than a "competing ship"? Last night, when I was at a restaurant, I put my arm around one of my friends, and she had her head on my shoulder. Does this mean we're in love? Of course not, and no one who knows us would suggest it. But I do love her like a sister, and that's where the affection comes from.

Far too often in fandom, that kind of display is construed as romantic love, as if there's no other reason for showing someone you care. Coming to a point where you love someone else as you would love father, mother, brother, or sister is just as beautiful and powerful as coming to love someone romantically, and often I think it's more powerful.

The closest relationship I have is with my brother. Sure, we tease and torment each other, as we did when we were growing up, but I know he would do anything for me, and I'd do anything for him. That's an incredibly intense feeling, and it doesn't have anything to do with romantic love. This is why I love watching McKay and Weir interact, and why I don't see it as remotely shippy. That kind of closeness, having nothing to do with sex, isn't seen often in pop culture today, which is why I've been so happy to see it with these two, and to a lesser extent with Sheppard and McKay.

As for Sheppard/Weir, I've enjoyed watching their friendship develop, and I see the potential for something more. There's great chemistry between them, and there have been times this season where it's felt like they're testing the waters with each other. Sure, she didn't sit huddling in the rain with John's arm around her, but her relationships with these two men are going to manifest themselves quite differently. That's why, I think, the moment where he grabs her hand to finally take her to safety, after doing so much to keep her alive, was so touching for most of us. It didn't need to be flashy and overstated, because at this point, they're probably not sure of it themselves.

Anyway. I will stop babbling now before I rehash a dozen old posts on why I think Sheppard/Teyla has been sealed in a coffin about a billion times already.
                    Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                    Last update: 14 April 2006
                    Melyanna's Multimedia
                    Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
                      Far too often in fandom, that kind of display is construed as romantic love, as if there's no other reason for showing someone you care. Coming to a point where you love someone else as you would love father, mother, brother, or sister is just as beautiful and powerful as coming to love someone romantically, and often I think it's more powerful.
                      True, not to draw this away from Sheppard/Weir, but someone commented how there was sexual chemistry going on between Simon and River. That comment bothered me, it's rather sad how people can't see relationships between males and females be something other than romantic/sexual.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                        True, not to draw this away from Sheppard/Weir, but someone commented how there was sexual chemistry going on between Simon and River. That comment bothered me, it's rather sad how people can't see relationships between males and females be something other than romantic/sexual.

That's just plain scary.

Not that incest in fandom is all that uncommon. I'm told that the vast majority of Numb3rs fics is incest slash, and there are a lot of incest fics in Harry Potter, too.
                        Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                        Last update: 14 April 2006
                        Melyanna's Multimedia
                        Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Back to Weir/Sheppard, since we were talking about moments, what is you're one (am limiting it so you have to think it through ) favourite Sheppard/Weir moment?

For me it would be from 'Home', their conversation in Sheppard's room where they are both dancing around trying to suss out what the other is thinking. And I like how the camer pushes in slowly in on their faces. Nice chemistry there.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                            *cringe*...Like Mel says that is just scary. :s

So at this point, McKay/Weir has had the two of them under threat of death, huddling for warmth in a hurricane. This is romantic? I mean, I can understand how people who already liked the ship really liked that moment, but we can't read that as something other than a "competing ship"? Last night, when I was at a restaurant, I put my arm around one of my friends, and she had her head on my shoulder. Does this mean we're in love? Of course not, and no one who knows us would suggest it. But I do love her like a sister, and that's where the affection comes from.
                            LOL, I do that all time with my roommate, and we don't have an underlying romantic feelings for each other. Like Mel said it come from a sisterly affection. Which is what I feel goes on between for McKay and Weir so far.
                            ~Athena

Comment

Great post Mel
                              I agree on Weir and McKay. I just love their interaction together and hope we see lots more but its just not romantic chemistry at all. There is lots of teasing and good natured banter between the two - I think they both enjoy that intellectual sparring. Its a very comfortable and open friendship.

As for Sheppard/Weir, I've enjoyed watching their friendship develop, and I see the potential for something more. There's great chemistry between them, and there have been times this season where it's felt like they're testing the waters with each other. Sure, she didn't sit huddling in the rain with John's arm around her, but her relationships with these two men are going to manifest themselves quite differently. That's why, I think, the moment where he grabs her hand to finally take her to safety, after doing so much to keep her alive, was so touching for most of us. It didn't need to be flashy and overstated, because at this point, they're probably not sure of it themselves.
                              Well said. They have an altogether different relationship, one that does have the merest hint of subtle romantic chemistry.
                              At this stage, I like the fact that its not in your face. I like that there is some uncertaintity to it, almost as if the characters are not quite sure what it is.

Ultimately I am sure all of us have friends and relations of both sexes that we love deeply. However there is a world of difference between loving someone and being in love with someone. Sadly, often one is mistaken for the other.

Comment

That's the great thing about Firefly, lots of different non-romantic relationships between the characters. Jayne/Book, Mal/Kaylee, Mal/Zoe, Wash/Kaylee, Inara/Kaylee, Wash/Mal, Simon/Inara etc. No doubts that Mal would die or kill for anyone of his crew members, and it's moving to see how much Simon gave up for River.

Comment

Working...
                                X