Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post

Curse Tumblr for making us fall in love with all these people who aren’t actually in love with each other onscreen, at least Sorry girl *hugs*
    Hey you!!!!!!! Nice to see you on here.

It's your fault I got into Timeless, so I also blame you. Although, to be fair, you did tell me to ship the canon couple.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post

Hey you!!!!!!! Nice to see you on here.

It's your fault I got into Timeless, so I also blame you. Although, to be fair, you did tell me to ship the canon couple.
      ‘Tis true. Although I just started watching another show featuring a couple with a great dynamic so I should’ve known better and got through the first season only to find out it was cancelled, like, a day before I finished it.

Meanwhile, I “accidentally” started rewatching SGA. Last night was “The Storm” and “The Eye” and right now is “Before I Sleep”.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Thank you! *glomps back*

The sliver of optimist in me (whose voice sounds like my mother's) is saying "There's still one week to go!" but the more realistic, cynical part of my brain (from my dad's side) is like "What did you expect?? Your ships almost never sail." I was thinking about it and the only ships I can think of that ended happily (outside of Jane Austen) are Katniss/Peeta in The Hunger Games and John/Aeryn of Farscape. Other than that....
        Yeah. This I think is why my brain is wired to be a canonist, for the most part. So of course in the instances where canon is a mess (like SGA), it breaks my brain.

Hey y’all! Time for my biannual pop in to ensure I’m alive and kicking
        Hey there, old friend! Stick around, don't be such a stranger!
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

‘Tis true. Although I just started watching another show featuring a couple with a great dynamic so I should’ve known better and got through the first season only to find out it was cancelled, like, a day before I finished it.

Meanwhile, I “accidentally” started rewatching SGA. Last night was “The Storm” and “The Eye” and right now is “Before I Sleep”.
          Sucks about your show being canceled! Another good reason to avoid new shows. *nods*

And those are some great SGA episodes to watch! The Storm/The Eye were the first SGA episodes I ever watched. Come to think of it, it was fandom that got me into Sparky and SGA as well. I discovered SG-1 when I was flipping channels and saw Ben Browder and Claudia Black from Farscape on it. I got into Daniel/Vala, came to the GateWorld thread for them, and saw a whole bunch of Sparky sigs. They intrigued me so much that eventually I came to this thread, read how they talked about The Storm/The Eye and decided to give it a shot. The rest, as they say, is history.

I should really start watching shows like a normal person.

Comment

Hey y’all! Time for my biannual pop in to ensure I’m alive and kicking
            And... who are you?

*runs and hides*

Holy guacamole Batman! I had no idea that Belgium had language borders. I mean, sure, we have different dialects and accents here and you can more or less tell where someone is from by how they talk, but not quite to that degree.
            Oh, but hang on... the language border is one thing. It'll determine what part of Belgium you're from: Flanders, Walloon or that German bit we got after WWII, and what your primary language is (if you are born here that is): Flemish (Dutch), French or German.

Mind you, language is a touchy subject in Belgium. For the longest time, the higher class would speak French, so during WWI the officers would hand out orders in French which most common soldiers didn't understand because they were Flemish. There's a saying that stuck around: Et pour les Flamands la même chose, which meant the orders were never repeated in Flemish.

HOWever... there's a significant difference of the Flemish language in near the North Sea, the center and near the border of the Netherlands and Germany.

For example, people in the province of East-Flanders are entirely incapable of pronouncing the G correctly so when they speak of the city of Ghend (Gent), they'll be talking about Hent instead.

People in the province of Limburg (the east of the country) speak in this slow sing-song voice (which if you study a year in their capital, you start singing too). The running joke is that dictionaries over there contain musical notes that go with the words.

I can't make heads or tails of the people near the coast, but likewise they can barely understand us. We have to subtitle each other on tv.

In my dialect, it's common to drop the last letter of the word, especially with verbs. Most people will immediately recognize our region by how we pronounce the A-sound.

...came to the GateWorld thread for them, and saw a whole bunch of Sparky sigs. They intrigued me so much that eventually I came to this thread, read how they talked about The Storm/The Eye and decided to give it a shot.
            All the while, those Sparkies were thinking "Who does that John/Teyla fan think she is coming in here flaunting that username like that."
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Oh, but hang on... the language border is one thing. It'll determine what part of Belgium you're from: Flanders, Walloon or that German bit we got after WWII, and what your primary language is (if you are born here that is): Flemish (Dutch), French or German.

Mind you, language is a touchy subject in Belgium. For the longest time, the higher class would speak French, so during WWI the officers would hand out orders in French which most common soldiers didn't understand because they were Flemish. There's a saying that stuck around: Et pour les Flamands la même chose, which meant the orders were never repeated in Flemish.
              Whoa, that whole thing is just wild. So Belgium is a weird mix of different areas, huh?

We definitely have differing accents and ways of speaking here, but at least it's all the same language. Personally, I have a RI accent which is a watered down Boston accent. Think Good Will Hunting, but not as strong. It's quite ugly and I hate it. My college friend from India was always asking me to say "I'm going to park the car" cause it sounds like "I'm gonna pahk the cah".

All the while, those Sparkies were thinking "Who does that John/Teyla fan think she is coming in here flaunting that username like that."

Yeah, I remember Southern Red once telling me something similar, that she was wary of me when I first arrived because of my user name. When I signed up for GW, I didn't have any clue that JT was sometimes used for John/Teyla. At that point, I'd only seen that ship referred to as Sheyla. I was just worried about using my usual name around the web - mathgirl24 - cause I was afraid you all would think that too weird. Little did I know I was creating a name even weirder.

Comment

When I signed up for GW, I didn't have any clue that JT was sometimes used for John/Teyla. I was just worried about using my usual name around the web - mathgirl24 - cause I was afraid you all would think that too weird. Little did I know I was creating a name even weirder.
                Ah, so that is what it could mean. I thought it might have been "Just Thinking 2".
                Because when I first came here, every user name I tried I could not have for some reason, so I finished up getting fed up & basically asked 'Who Knows what I can have", and Gateworld agreed with me 'cos they didn't know either. So there you go, we both are weird, but in a nice way smiley_md_clr.gif
                http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post

Ah, so that is what it could mean. I thought it might have been "Just Thinking 2".
                  Because when I first came here, every user name I tried I could not have for some reason, so I finished up getting fed up & basically asked 'Who Knows what I can have", and Gateworld agreed with me 'cos they didn't know either. So there you go, we both are weird, but in a nice way smiley_md_clr.gif
                  That's such a funny name story! I also wondered where your name came from.

JT are my initials, and it's a nickname for me in the real world. As for the 2, well, I am math girl so I'm always going to include a number.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

OMG, everyone's nickname stories are so funny! For me, Scary Kitty is just a riff on Hello Kitty. My icon image is based on a Halloween coin purse my grandma gave me many years ago.

We definitely have differing accents and ways of speaking here, but at least it's all the same language. Personally, I have a RI accent which is a watered down Boston accent. Think Good Will Hunting, but not as strong. It's quite ugly and I hate it. My college friend from India was always asking me to say "I'm going to park the car" cause it sounds like "I'm gonna pahk the cah".
                    I guess I've got the Southern California accent, which doesn't sound like anything particularly noteworthy to me, but I suppose people from other parts of the country might notice more. But we do call things 'dude' a lot. Your car, your dog, your TV's remote control, the screaming seagulls in the parking lot, everything is dude.
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Whoa, that whole thing is just wild. So Belgium is a weird mix of different areas, huh?
                      We're just a weird mix.

Belgium holds the dubious Guinness World Record of Longest time a country goes without a government --> 541 days without a federal government.

Mind you, we have 4 spares and still didn't descend into civil war. We just meandered along like nothing was wrong.

Wah... one of the American accent's I love listening to. Gives me happy feelings.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                        OMG, everyone's nickname stories are so funny! For me, Scary Kitty is just a riff on Hello Kitty. My icon image is based on a Halloween coin purse my grandma gave me many years ago.
                        Ooooooh! I've often wondered where your icon image came from.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                        I guess I've got the Southern California accent, which doesn't sound like anything particularly noteworthy to me, but I suppose people from other parts of the country might notice more. But we do call things 'dude' a lot. Your car, your dog, your TV's remote control, the screaming seagulls in the parking lot, everything is dude.
                        Duuuuuuude! I love it!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus
                        We're just a weird mix.

Belgium holds the dubious Guinness World Record of Longest time a country goes without a government --> 541 days without a federal government.

Mind you, we have 4 spares and still didn't descend into civil war. We just meandered along like nothing was wrong.
                        Nothing wrong with a bit of weirdness.

Okay, so what does that mean by "goes without a government"? Like, it was shut down? And you have spares? Huh? I should probably google this, cause now I'm very curious.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus
                        Wah... one of the American accent's I love listening to. Gives me happy feelings.
                        That's sarcasm, right?

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

We're just a weird mix.

Geeze, and I thought the little spat going on over Stormont in Northern Ireland was nuts...

Duuuuuuude! I love it!​
                          Definitely a source of endless amusement for me.

Comment

Note to self- no renting cars should I find myself in Belgium again one day, lol.

Allergies got the best of me last week so I embarked on another new show, The Diplomat on Netflix and super happy to see them writing for women the way they are in this show. Renewed for season 2.

JT2 you about have me sold on watching Ted Lasso. I may have to take to tumbler to see about the ship.

Comment

Note to self- no renting cars should I find myself in Belgium again one day, lol.

Allergies got the best of me last week so I embarked on another new show, The Diplomat on Netflix and super happy to see them writing for women the way they are in this show. Renewed for season 2.

JT2 you about have me sold on watching Ted Lasso. I may have to take to tumbler to see about the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Zandras_Ashes View Post

Give it a few more days... the finale is going to air Wednesday at midnight. I'll let you know if it ends well, generally speaking. Or if, and what I suspect is going to happen, it breaks my heart into tiny little pieces and stomps them into the ground. Not that I still have anxiety flashbacks to what the finale of Timeless did to me.

Oh, and allergies have been brutal this year! I'm sorry they affected you so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X