No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
    1. I am double vaccinated, so am I protected against catching Covid?
    No vaccine is 100% effective, and that includes the Covid vaccines. However, you're a lot safer with the vaccine than without it; the vast majority of current cases are among the unvaccinated. And some vaccines are better than others; the Moderna vaccine has been proven to still be about 90% effective six months after the second dose was administered; Pfizer and J&J have proven less effective. These are all very new vaccines, so we're all still learning how well they work.

2. If so, why are there restrictions on me going to shows, movie theatres, traveling around the country and/or abroad?
    Ask the politicians who enacted those restrictions.

3. If I have to wear a mask, is that to protect me, or those idiots who refuse to protect themselves?
    (And I know there are those among us who, for medical reasons just can not have this vaccination. I do NOT include them in the term 'idiot', and I hope as time goes by the boffins can develop something they can take to get immunity}
    It's really more to protect the unvaccinated; while breakthrough cases in those vaccinated have happened, they are VERY RARE. And frankly, masks aren't all that effective either as some are better than others; homemade cloth masks have proved to be pretty much useless; an N95 mask is very good, but must be carefully fitted to the face, and most people just don't have the expertise to do it right. *shrugs*

And note that there are some who cannot wear a mask due to medical conditions that aren't outwardly obvious. My mom and I both have a skin condition that is seriously exacerbated by wearing a mask; the constant friction of the mask against the skin causing irritation, trapping the heat from our breath close against the skin, creates conditions that cause flareups. Even wearing a mask as little as five minutes has caused flareups. As repeated flareups will eventually lead to permanent and possibly disfiguring skin damage, we want to minimize this risk as much as possible, so we wear face shields. And there are others with other conditions; those deaf or hard of hearing who need to use lip reading for communication, those who have PTSD, those with sensory issues, those with breathing problems. Some of them can wear face shields, some of them can't. Most people understand, some are a-h0les. So when you (and when I say "you", I mean anyone and everyone who reads this post) see someone without a mask, or a face shield instead of a mask, don't be a jerk. There may be a very good, but not visibly obvious, reason why. [rant mode off]

And now to more (somewhat) pleasant diversions: This week's College Football Roundup! Virginia Tech lost to Miami 38-26, USC lost to UCLA 62-33, Tennessee beat South Alabama 60-14, Rhode Island lost to Elon 43-28, and in the Atlantis Cup standings, Air Force beat Nevada 41-39 in overtime, and Navy lost to East Carolina 38-35. On to next week!
    Last edited by Scary Kitty; 21 November 2021, 10:31 AM.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Well said, SK!! I like to compare the vaccine to a seat belt. It won't protect you from harm completely, but it will make things much better if you're in an accident.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
        Well said, SK!! I like to compare the vaccine to a seat belt. It won't protect you from harm completely, but it will make things much better if you're in an accident.
        Yup.
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I hope it's not too crowded and that you have a great time!
          I don't know about the ground floor, but the balcony was about halfway filled.
          However, facemasks were mandatory wear and entry was restricted to covid pass holders.

However, I took it one step further along with my best friend. We turned on our corona alert app so on the off-chance there was someone in our immediate vicinity who may test positive in the next few days, we hope to know about it that way.
          It's no garantuee but it's the effort that counts.

The performance was quite nice. It was epic finally hearing that piece of music in a really big room.
          The dancers could have done better but it wasn't jarring. There was one choirmember who was, at one point, late returning to the stage so we spotted her sprinting into place from behind the curtains.

Obviously I'm very uncomfortable in big crowds so I was fiddling with my fidget cube the entire time until the soprano started singing... ...I was completely mesmerized and forgot all about my cube.

This thread seems to have nothing to do with
          Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread
          It does... just sometimes we venture out and talk about our adventures in life.

1. I am double vaccinated, so am I protected against catching Covid?
          Nope... you're protected from getting really ill. But you're still able to get it and transmit it to others.

A lot of vaccinated people don't realise that vaccination isn't equal to 100% protection, and that it's imperative to continue to stick to the guidelines: facemasks (nose inside), social distance, minimize contacts if you can, ... just be careful, you know.

2. If so, why are there restrictions on me going to shows, movie theatres, traveling around the country and/or abroad?
          In Belgium there are no restrictions for vaccinated people, people who have proof they were cured from covid in the last 6 months and those who test negative which includes the fully vaccinated.

I don't know about you but I would like to go on vacation again some time next year and to get there, we'll have to take every precaution we need to take to get this thing under control.

3. If I have to wear a mask, is that to protect me, or those idiots who refuse to protect themselves?
          Both.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
          ...those deaf or hard of hearing who need to use lip reading for communication...
          Facemasks are the reason I discovered that I read lips without realizing that I do that in a conversation. Basically facemasks make it even more difficult for me to follow any conversation in a large group of people or places where there is a lot of noise.

...Air Force beat Nevada 41-39 in overtime...
          ...even if they needed overtime to do it.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Hmm. Little fires everywhere.

I feel like I lost entire days last week, tail end of budget season. When I surfaced I saw so many great photos from Cons over the weekend. It would have been very cool to make Joe’s sketch effect fast forward video on IG. I’m sure I just seriously dated myself with that terrible tech description, lol, but cut me some slack. The internet is for fan fiction and cat videos, right? Sorry. I’m in dire need of a proper nights sleep.

Comment

Thank you Scary Kitty and Falcon Horus for your answers and explanations.
              Here in Western Australia we have not been required to wear masks in public (except for indoor shows/movies/sports) but elsewhere they have. We also have not had any new cases in a long time.
              I must admit I never thought of skin allergies & lip reading problems, but of course I would exclude those people from the 'idiots' label. I was having a go at those who are protesting on the grounds of 'fake news' or 'totalitarian government', and risking infecting their families and other people by their irresponsible actions.
              http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Joe was in Wales this weekend, and so was Michael Shanks.

Ben Browder was in the UK too for a con but I don't know if it was the same one as Joe and Michael were at (I think it was).

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  The performance was quite nice. It was epic finally hearing that piece of music in a really big room.
                  The dancers could have done better but it wasn't jarring. There was one choirmember who was, at one point, late returning to the stage so we spotted her sprinting into place from behind the curtains.

Obviously I'm very uncomfortable in big crowds so I was fiddling with my fidget cube the entire time until the soprano started singing... ​...I was completely mesmerized and forgot all about my cube.
                  Glad you had fun, sounds like it was an awesome time!

It does... just sometimes we venture out and talk about our adventures in life.
                  ​ And we last got new canon 12 years ago (2009). The fact that we're still here chatting away is pretty darn impressive.

Originally posted by Zandras_Ashes View Post

I feel like I lost entire days last week, tail end of budget season. When I surfaced I saw so many great photos from Cons over the weekend. It would have been very cool to make Joe’s sketch effect fast forward video on IG. I’m sure I just seriously dated myself with that terrible tech description, lol, but cut me some slack. The internet is for fan fiction and cat videos, right? Sorry. I’m in dire need of a proper nights sleep.
                  Always, always cat videos.

Joe was in Wales this weekend, and so was Michael Shanks.

Ben Browder was in the UK too for a con but I don't know if it was the same one as Joe and Michael were at (I think it was).
                  Ahh, the con life. Someday, I'll get to go to one again.

Comment

I just found out that I have to work on New Year's Eve, even though we've been told all year that we'd get it off. So I don't get any time off for New Year. To say I'm pissed off would be an understatement.

In other news, I got some blood work results and my white blood count is super high. I don't feel sick. I wonder if I have asymptomatic covid. I see the doctor tomorrow. We'll see what he says.

I don't know about the ground floor, but the balcony was about halfway filled.
                    However, facemasks were mandatory wear and entry was restricted to covid pass holders.

However, I took it one step further along with my best friend. We turned on our corona alert app so on the off-chance there was someone in our immediate vicinity who may test positive in the next few days, we hope to know about it that way.
                    It's no guarantee but it's the effort that counts.

Obviously I'm very uncomfortable in big crowds so I was fiddling with my fidget cube the entire time until the soprano started singing... ...I was completely mesmerized and forgot all about my cube.

Sounds awesome!! So glad you had a good time.

Facemasks are the reason I discovered that I read lips without realizing that I do that in a conversation. Basically facemasks make it even more difficult for me to follow any conversation in a large group of people or places where there is a lot of noise.
                    Me too!! I am asking people to repeat themselves a whole lot more than I used to.

Originally posted by Zandras.Ashes

Absolutely for fan fiction and cat videos!

Originally posted by Scary Kitty
                    Ahh, the con life. Someday, I'll get to go to one again.
                    The Chicago Stargate con was a lot of fun! My sister and I were driving in downtown Providence awhile ago, and she mentioned that the RI Comic-Con was that weekend. She then made derogatory comments about people at sci-fi cons wearing "weird costumes" and such. That's why the only family member who knew I went to the Chicago con was my aunt. I told everyone else I was visiting a friend from college. *nods*

Comment

JT2- sorry to hear that about the bloodwork. I hate you have to sit with that overnight but glad you snagged a quick appointment.

I don’t usually advertise going to cons but most who’ve found out have thought it was pretty cool that I liked that sort of thing. I wouldn’t mind going back to one in Chicago even though they have been closer to the airport than the waterfront. I still had some extra days to Uber in and eat all the things.

Comment

I just found out that I have to work on New Year's Eve, even though we've been told all year that we'd get it off. So I don't get any time off for New Year. To say I'm pissed off would be an understatement.
                        Would it help if I said I have to work on the 31st too?

Albeit by choice, and we're planning on having drinks at work cause there will only be a handful of us at the office that Friday. We're basically planning a party.

In other news, I got some blood work results and my white blood count is super high. I don't feel sick. I wonder if I have asymptomatic covid. I see the doctor tomorrow. We'll see what he says.
                        BIG LEMMING HUGS!!

Me too!! I am asking people to repeat themselves a whole lot more than I used to.
                        To the point they start questioning my hearing... I think I'm going to use sign language next.
                        Just to confuse them instead.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Ugh, that sucks! My advice would be, next year, get it in writing.

​ I hope the doc has good news for you! ***BIG HUGS***

The Chicago Stargate con was a lot of fun! My sister and I were driving in downtown Providence awhile ago, and she mentioned that the RI Comic-Con was that weekend. She then made derogatory comments about people at sci-fi cons wearing "weird costumes" and such. ​ That's why the only family member who knew I went to the Chicago con was my aunt. I told everyone else I was visiting a friend from college. *nods*
                          Mundanes. *snorts*

I don’t usually advertise going to cons but most who’ve found out have thought it was pretty cool that I liked that sort of thing. I wouldn’t mind going back to one in Chicago even though they have been closer to the airport than the waterfront. I still had some extra days to Uber in and eat all the things.
                          Always eat all the things! (except the food at the convention center because it's always overpriced and almost always inferior quality)

Albeit by choice, and we're planning on having drinks at work cause there will only be a handful of us at the office that Friday. We're basically planning a party.
                          Office party!

Hmm, has anyone done an office party type fic for SGA? (not that I'm volunteering to write one, my Mystic Knights fic bunnies are eating my brain and I'm quite happy there, LOL)

Comment

Hmm, has anyone done an office party type fic for SGA?
                            Nope, don't think so... though probably yes... *runs and hides so the bunny can't find her*

And also... LEGO TITANIC ARRIVED TODAY AND NOW I'M A VERY HAPPY LEGO LEMMING!!

Comment

My doctor told me not to worry about the blood work. I had another result that happens when your body is fighting a bacterial infection. As long as I don't have any symptoms, he said it was fine. It's not covid so I'm happy. I had that party on Saturday where there were tons of people, and I was panicking that I might have passed covid on to others.

Thanks for all the kind words!!

JT2- sorry to hear that about the bloodwork. I hate you have to sit with that overnight but glad you snagged a quick appointment.

When Irish Eyes and I went, we never left the hotel area. But then I only went for the weekend.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus

That's great that you're having a party! I work from home, but I suppose I could have a nice cocktail in the afternoon.

To the point they start questioning my hearing... I think I'm going to use sign language next.
                              Just to confuse them instead.
                              I always wanted to learn sign language. At one time I taught myself the alphabet and some basic signs. They thought it might help my dad after he had a stroke that left him unable to talk very much. It ended up not helping him, but I enjoyed it anyway. I tried to take a class of it in college, but the timing never worked out.

Ugh, that sucks! My advice would be, next year, get it in writing.
                              Their "reasoning" behind the move is that the stock market is open on New Year's Eve and therefore we need to be open too. But the market is closing at 2pm, yet we have to work a full day. Whatever. I'll just take it easy that day.

Mundanes. *snorts*
                              Limited imaginations.

Hmm, has anyone done an office party type fic for SGA? (not that I'm volunteering to write one, my Mystic Knights fic bunnies are eating my brain and I'm quite happy there, LOL)
                              I know I've read office party fic for SGA. My ability to find the links to them however, is non-existent. :d And I've had a story idea in my head for a Return-era SGC office party where Cam invites Elizabeth to the party. John goes nuts with jealousy. He later sees Cam flirting with another woman, and John loses his cool and confronts him. Cam just smiles and tells him he was simply tired of hearing John talk about Elizabeth and was trying to get him to act. Picture dumbfounded John. John later finds Elizabeth outside looking at the stars. They talk and John makes a move and kisses her.

And also... LEGO TITANIC ARRIVED TODAY AND NOW I'M A VERY HAPPY LEGO LEMMING!!
                              Sweet!! How many pieces is it?

Comment

I always wanted to learn sign language. At one time I taught myself the alphabet and some basic signs.
                                Same here. I know the alphabet and a few basic signs.

Though, I'm picking up a few more watching BBC's Strictly Come Dancing where they have a deaf celebrity this season... and man, she's soooooo good. Wanted her to dance without music cause that's how she experiences it and they did exactly that for their couple's choice and it was so epic.
                                Link to Youtube -- it's truly amazing!

Fun part is her name is Rose, which is part of my middle name so now I can spell my name but also use that sign for my second middle name.

Sweet!! How many pieces is it?
                                Let me check... 9090 pieces.

Comment

Working...
                                X