Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zandra's Ashes View Post
    How's the rental car treating you? I'm still nervous to book a car for Scotland. Not sure I want to deal with the narrow roads or driving on the left
    We have a Vauxhall Mokka, which is a medium sized SUV, and it's heaven.

With regards to those small roads, and those one-track roads in particular. So, I was wondering that it could only lead to chaos if too many cars started to come across one another on such tiny roads, and lo and behold, yesterday my ponderings were answered tenfold.

We lost nearly 45 minutes on a one-track road because plenty of British tourists (no less) were too afraid to pass cars coming from the opposite directions. So, I started by putting my car in a cow pastures (no cows were there, it was empty), along with 3 other cars. Then the two blocking a side street were able to move out of the way so two farmers could go that way with their big trucks. Next we had to wait for all the cars to pass, so back on the road we get stuck again because passing isn't a British drivers best skill apparently.

A German tourist in front of us in a BMW suv, and my sister walked pretty much the entire road down and guided the British tourists passed each bend or car, including mine. At one point I was literally stuck in a passing place with cars coming passed, my sister telling them how far they had left before hitting the wall on the side. The blue mercedes van and my mokka briefly touched as we were literally millimeters apart from one another. It was with a bit of back and forth that he managed to pass.

My sister used her excellent assistent skills to -- sometimes yelling commands -- make sure everyone passed the rest in a safe manner. All the while, I was having a chat with other cars passing. Most of us were having loads of fun in that traffic jam... some a little less.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

With regards to those small roads, and those one-track roads in particular. So, I was wondering that it could only lead to chaos if too many cars started to come across one another on such tiny roads, and lo and behold, yesterday my ponderings were answered tenfold.

We lost nearly 45 minutes on a one-track road because plenty of British tourists (no less) were too afraid to pass cars coming from the opposite directions. So, I started by putting my car in a cow pastures (no cows were there, it was empty), along with 3 other cars. Then the two blocking a side street were able to move out of the way so two farmers could go that way with their big trucks. Next we had to wait for all the cars to pass, so back on the road we get stuck again because passing isn't a British drivers best skill apparently.

A German tourist in front of us in a BMW suv, and my sister walked pretty much the entire road down and guided the British tourists passed each bend or car, including mine. At one point I was literally stuck in a passing place with cars coming passed, my sister telling them how far they had left before hitting the wall on the side. The blue mercedes van and my mokka briefly touched as we were literally millimeters apart from one another. It was with a bit of back and forth that he managed to pass.

My sister used her excellent assistent skills to -- sometimes yelling commands -- make sure everyone passed the rest in a safe manner. All the while, I was having a chat with other cars passing. Most of us were having loads of fun in that traffic jam... some a little less.
      Okay that sounds horrifying.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
        It wasn't... at first it seemed like we were going to be stuck for the remainder of the day but after a while it became so utterly ridiculous that it was just one big, happy chatroom. Had quite a few interesting chats with people, seeing as we were all driving with the windows open and most of the time just standing there right next to each other, window to window, driver to driver.

Those who were too scared to move were literally told to get their butts in gear and instructed to get moving and to listen to the traffic controller (my sister and the German tourist). Especially when they were driving small enough cars that they had plenty of space, they were politely told that if a SUV could pass another SUV without a problem, they had little to worry about.

Comment

It wasn't... at first it seemed like we were going to be stuck for the remainder of the day but after a while it became so utterly ridiculous that it was just one big, happy chatroom. Had quite a few interesting chats with people, seeing as we were all driving with the windows open and most of the time just standing there right next to each other, window to window, driver to driver.

Those who were too scared to move were literally told to get their butts in gear and instructed to get moving and to listen to the traffic controller (my sister and the German tourist). Especially when they were driving small enough cars that they had plenty of space, they were politely told that if a SUV could pass another SUV without a problem, they had little to worry about.
          Well I'm glad you had fun with it!!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
            SR Jr and the missus went to Scotland with a group of friends a few years ago. They rented a car and did a really neat driving tour. The rental car ended up with a few dents because of the left/right thing mostly from cutting corners too sharp not from other cars. They said the rental company said it happens all the time. I don't know if they got charged a lot for it. Once they got the hang of it, I think it went mostly okay. The roads are really narrow in places though. They loved the pubs and the Scotch distilleries, which come to think of it, may account for the dents.
            LOL!

I'm with you, that's the stuff of nightmares right there. Glad FH and her sister were able to turn it into a party anyway!

That whole "special feature" on the DVD made my blood boil. Sam is so wonderful, bla bla bla. Whatever.
            IKR? That said, if we'd gotten to have both Lizzie AND Sam full time on the show? That would've been cool. But noooo, can't have that, can we?
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              IKR? That said, if we'd gotten to have both Lizzie AND Sam full time on the show? That would've been cool. But noooo, can't have that, can we?
              We can't have more women than men on the show.... oh the horror

The problem with moving Sam was that she didn't fit. They already had the genius scientist (Rodney) and the military person (John). So they tried to shoehorn her into Elizabeth's role but it just seemed like Sam wasn't Sam but Elizabeth-lite.

Okay I'll leave my soap box now.

Comment

And today we nearly got drenched again... We were enjoying the lake after our short but fun walk across the Beatrix Potter Walk when we hear the sound of thunder in the distance. We linger a little while longer cause oh well, it's probably far off in the distance -- but it turned out it wasn't, and it was coming.

We literally made it inside with less than a minute to spare before the curtain of rain arrived... LOL, I swear, walking up hill never went this fast before. The darkened sky behind us obviously a huge motivation to get a move on.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

We can't have more women than men on the show.... oh the horror

The problem with moving Sam was that she didn't fit. They already had the genius scientist (Rodney) and the military person (John). So they tried to shoehorn her into Elizabeth's role but it just seemed like Sam wasn't Sam but Elizabeth-lite.

Okay I'll leave my soap box now.
                  Heh! Which is why Woolsey was a bit better in the position, he was neither fish nor fowl. And even rescuing Elizabeth and putting her back in Atlantis at that point would've worked; keep Woolsey in charge of Atlantis as a whole, but put Elizabeth in charge of the diplomatic corps since being a diplomat was supposed to be Her Thing, heck give her her own team (can you imagine an Elizabeth-Lorne-Zelenka-Carson team? LMAO!) for more flexibility in off-world shenanigans (and frankly to give Torri more to play with), and we could've gotten another 4-5 seasons easy!

And today we nearly got drenched again... We were enjoying the lake after our short but fun walk across the Beatrix Potter Walk when we hear the sound of thunder in the distance. We linger a little while longer cause oh well, it's probably far off in the distance -- but it turned out it wasn't, and it was coming.

We literally made it inside with less than a minute to spare before the curtain of rain arrived... LOL, I swear, walking up hill never went this fast before. The darkened sky behind us obviously a huge motivation to get a move on.
                  LOL! When it rains, it pours, eh?
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Having Elizabeth and Woolsey on Atlantis at the same time would have been very interesting. Lots of story possibilities could have come from that, especially with the prospect having two different people that the Atlantis Expedition might instinctively see as someone with the moral authority to be "in charge."

But I think it would have been hard to get used to Elizabeth not being in the same leadership role.
                    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Good evening, Sparkies! Hope you've all been having a great Lazy Sunday!

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                      Having Elizabeth and Woolsey on Atlantis at the same time would have been very interesting. Lots of story possibilities could have come from that, especially with the prospect having two different people that the Atlantis Expedition might instinctively see as someone with the moral authority to be "in charge."

But I think it would have been hard to get used to Elizabeth not being in the same leadership role.
                      It might have been difficult to get used to it at first, but I think that would've been balanced out by all those juicy story possibilities you mentioned. All in all, I would've been happy just to keep her, given the alternative we ended up with.

Comment

Home again... and... we got drenched.

Feels like we're still on holiday.

Comment

We love watching Midsomer Murders and have talked about just such an occurrence. They must ban all the tourists when filming.
                          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                            We love watching Midsomer Murders and have talked about just such an occurrence. They must ban all the tourists when filming.
                            As it happens, there was a news item on local Lake District news about there being too much traffic on their roads. Apparently, last week, there were 2 fairly big car crashes on tiny roads which blocked a few important lanes, so a lot of the local commuters had to wait hours or got stuck altogether, without getting home before a reasonable hour in the evening.

They were on about promoting the local network of public transport and to use bikes to get around. There is a bus network which stops at all the major visitor centers, such as Hawkshead where Beatrix Potter used to live. I've never seen this many Japanese and Chinese tourists in the middle of no and where in the UK.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Home again... and... we got drenched.

Feels like we're still on holiday.

As it happens, there was a news item on local Lake District news about there being too much traffic on their roads. Apparently, last week, there were 2 fairly big car crashes on tiny roads which blocked a few important lanes, so a lot of the local commuters had to wait hours or got stuck altogether, without getting home before a reasonable hour in the evening.

They were on about promoting the local network of public transport and to use bikes to get around. There is a bus network which stops at all the major visitor centers, such as Hawkshead where Beatrix Potter used to live. I've never seen this many Japanese and Chinese tourists in the middle of no and where in the UK.
                              Whoa! Sounds crowded, all right!

Comment

OMG. Glad some of you were able to stay clear headed and dissolve the chaos. See- that's exactly the kind of nightmare scenario that I was imagining. No, actually, I'm imagining worse, like having to pass by a large tourist bus while on the edge of a steep cliff. Gulp. Trains it is.
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

Working...
                                X