Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    Don't feel that way. I certainly wasn't skinny or cute, but it went very well. The people watching is quite entertaining.

Be careful being around Joe. He takes your breath away.
    Ditto. The fans are a very diverse crowd with most being just ordinary. I was worried about being the oldest one there. Well except for Mr. SR of course but I actually met a few older than we were and nobody seemed to care. We made a lovely little group of friends that we sat with and even hung out with all weekend. I think the fact that Mr. SR never met a bar tab that he couldn't pay for had a lot to do with it but we still had tons of fun.

And ditto again on Joe. I was waiting in line for my pic with him with a lady who was a veteran con attendee who was kind enough to warn me that he literally takes your breath away. Even Mr. SR admitted that Joe is indeed better looking in person. Hard to believe I know but true. Plus he's just very sweet if a bit shy. Hewlett and Picardo are just the opposite from shy but lovely and personable. Mr. SR and Picardo got into it telling each other bald jokes.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good morning (almost noon!) Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday and Summer Solstice!

*HUGS*

Hello!! I'm glad most things are up and running. Setting up all that stuff is in pain in the behind.

My car actually got fixed this morning for $160 at another mechanic! They were able to weld the old part together. Very sweet! I'm going to go to that mechanic from now on, or until I get a new car (hopefully not soon!).

Oh dear, your car sounds like it'll be expensive. I think it cost me like $1000 to get a new windshield a few years ago. Your auto insurance might cover it (mine didn't).
      Sooo happy I'm finally back up and running. Limping along on my ancient iPad has not been fun.

Yay! That's great you got your car fixed for a lot less, that's always a big help.

Fortunately, we do have coverage for windshield damage, so that won't be a problem. The rest... *shudder*

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      I have a feeling you're probably better off buying a new car instead.
      Probably. It's 22 years old. But it's a Mustang, and we've taken very good care of it and it runs fantastic, it's just that, well, it IS old, and it's getting all those things that happen to older cars.

Don't feel that way. I certainly wasn't skinny or cute, but it went very well. The people watching is quite entertaining.

Be careful being around Joe. He takes your breath away.
      Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      Ditto. The fans are a very diverse crowd with most being just ordinary. I was worried about being the oldest one there. Well except for Mr. SR of course but I actually met a few older than we were and nobody seemed to care. We made a lovely little group of friends that we sat with and even hung out with all weekend. I think the fact that Mr. SR never met a bar tab that he couldn't pay for had a lot to do with it but we still had tons of fun.

And ditto again on Joe. I was waiting in line for my pic with him with a lady who was a veteran con attendee who was kind enough to warn me that he literally takes your breath away. Even Mr. SR admitted that Joe is indeed better looking in person. Hard to believe I know but true. Plus he's just very sweet if a bit shy. Hewlett and Picardo are just the opposite from shy but lovely and personable. Mr. SR and Picardo got into it telling each other bald jokes.
      Another con vet and meeting Joe vet... ditto to all of that. Con attendees are some of the most fun people you will ever meet. And yes, Joe WILL take your breath away. Brace yourself, LOL!
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
        But it's a Mustang, and we've taken very good care of it and it runs fantastic, it's just that, well, it IS old, and it's getting all those things that happen to older cars.
        There's a thing about old cars, I guess.

Learned the price of a new Mustang recently when sister went to buy her new car... I nearly fell off my chair as I spluttered a 'How much?' in the general direction of the top floor where they were located, 'Is that full option?' -- apparently they don't come with stock or full option. It's always full option.

I think my next car will be back to a Fiesta.
        I can't afford a new Qashqai -- a 2nd hand one, on the other hand, maybe.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

My next car is going to be 4 wheel drive. My car (Nissan Maxima) drives like sh*t in the snow. I slide all over the place.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

There's a thing about old cars, I guess.

Learned the price of a new Mustang recently when sister went to buy her new car... I nearly fell off my chair as I spluttered a 'How much?' in the general direction of the top floor where they were located, 'Is that full option?' -- apparently they don't come with stock or full option. It's always full option.
            Hm, we were able to add options to a base model when we got mine...of course, that was 22 years ago, and carmakers do different things for different countries, so that might also explain it.

I think my next car will be back to a Fiesta.
            I can't afford a new Qashqai -- a 2nd hand one, on the other hand, maybe.
            My next car is going to be 4 wheel drive. My car (Nissan Maxima) drives like sh*t in the snow. I slide all over the place.
            Yeah, I think my next one will be a 4 wheel drive SUV, probably a smaller one so it won't be too much of a squeeze on the older ferries we have out here, I can drive in the snow, and take uphills better.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Yeah, I think my next one will be a 4 wheel drive SUV, probably a smaller one so it won't be too much of a squeeze on the older ferries we have out here, I can drive in the snow, and take uphills better.
              I hate buying a vehicle just because of snow, since it doesn't snow THAT much. But on the other hand, I almost ran into someone because I couldn't stop one time in the snow.

My brother and his family all have Subarus. I'll probably take a look at those. They're cheaper than the Nissan alternative.

After saying that, I'm going to drive my current car until it dies which is hopefully many years from now. My friend has the same car a few years older and it's still going.

Comment

Hm, we were able to add options to a base model when we got mine...of course, that was 22 years ago, and carmakers do different things for different countries, so that might also explain it.
                Mustangs aren't made for Belgian roads. They are literally snob-cars over here, made to impress and show you earn enough to afford it. Same with electric cars the likes of Tesla. They are way too expensive for any working class person. I would love to have an electric car but they're just way too expensive.

I said earlier today, when a pretty motorcycle passed us by that I was thinking about learning to drive a motorbike and buy an electric one to drive to work in summertime when it's less likely to rain. It would certainly cut back on my gasoline bills cause now I have to drive to the damn pump every week to top up my tank. I drive 500-600 km every week, 100 km every day (back and forth to work is 50km). Whatever car I buy next, it has to be one that can handle being on the road all the time, a sturdy one.

Comment

For those of you not on Tumblr, this picture was posted of Torri, Joe, Paul, and Rainbow.

tumblr_pti9tyxwrm1t8kz85_540.jpg

Comment

Having a gay, old time.

Comment

I hate buying a vehicle just because of snow, since it doesn't snow THAT much. But on the other hand, I almost ran into someone because I couldn't stop one time in the snow.

My brother and his family all have Subarus. I'll probably take a look at those. They're cheaper than the Nissan alternative.

After saying that, I'm going to drive my current car until it dies which is hopefully many years from now. My friend has the same car a few years older and it's still going.
                      We bought a new car a few years ago that Mr. SR swears will be our last. It's a Toyota Avalon hybrid and is the last in a long line of Toyotas that we have owned. He also has a Toyota pickup and I'm sure they will both outlast us. The hybrid gets such good gas mileage I sometimes forget to fill it up until it's almost empty.
                      sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday! Not so lazy for me...still unpacking! But on the upside, we got the big TV in the living room set up!

THIS. This so much. It doesn't snow that much here either, maybe just a handful of days out of the year, but when it does, look out! We'll probably have to get one of those snowblowers to dig out the driveway.

Same with me, I want to run mine until it gives up the ghost. We've been looking at the Subaru Forester for our next family car.

Mustangs aren't made for Belgian roads. They are literally snob-cars over here, made to impress and show you earn enough to afford it. Same with electric cars the likes of Tesla. They are way too expensive for any working class person. I would love to have an electric car but they're just way too expensive.
                        They've become that way over here too. When we were still in Southern California, you'd see Mustangs everywhere, but more of them were older models from around the same time as mine, and only a few were the newer models. There's even less of them up here in the Northwest.

I said earlier today, when a pretty motorcycle passed us by that I was thinking about learning to drive a motorbike and buy an electric one to drive to work in summertime when it's less likely to rain. It would certainly cut back on my gasoline bills cause now I have to drive to the damn pump every week to top up my tank. I drive 500-600 km every week, 100 km every day (back and forth to work is 50km). Whatever car I buy next, it has to be one that can handle being on the road all the time, a sturdy one.
                        Yup.

We bought a new car a few years ago that Mr. SR swears will be our last. It's a Toyota Avalon hybrid and is the last in a long line of Toyotas that we have owned. He also has a Toyota pickup and I'm sure they will both outlast us. The hybrid gets such good gas mileage I sometimes forget to fill it up until it's almost empty.
                        We've got a Highlander right now. Great SUV...except for the fact that while the the third seat (which we really didn't want or need but had to take because they don't make them without for the US market) does fold flat for cargo space, only half of the split second seat folds truly flat, which restricts what kind of cargo and how much of it you can pack in back there. Not so helpful when you need to haul around long and wide items that need to lie flat.

Comment

How often do you have to recharge it? The Toyota Avalon is a nice car. One of my college friend's dad had one and it was so nice.

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday! Not so lazy for me...still unpacking! But on the upside, we got the big TV in the living room set up!
                          Yay for the big TV!!!

THIS. This so much. It doesn't snow that much here either, maybe just a handful of days out of the year, but when it does, look out! We'll probably have to get one of those snowblowers to dig out the driveway.
                          It snows more than a handful of times here. Still it feels weird to buy a car for that purpose.

Most people here have a snowblower. I have a guy who comes and shovels me out. What, my back couldn't handle it.

Same with me, I want to run mine until it gives up the ghost. We've been looking at the Subaru Forester for our next family car.
                          That's what my brother has, and what my family is encouraging me to someday get. It's very nice.

We've got a Highlander right now. Great SUV...except for the fact that while the the third seat (which we really didn't want or need but had to take because they don't make them without for the US market) does fold flat for cargo space, only half of the split second seat folds truly flat, which restricts what kind of cargo and how much of it you can pack in back there. Not so helpful when you need to haul around long and wide items that need to lie flat.
                          That's frustrating!

Comment

My friends have one of those and love it. He is an engineer and spent way more time than necessary researching cars and settled on that one.

SR Jr. and the MRS have the big Acura SUV. We've come to call it the twinmobile because we've seen other parents of multiples with the same car. It has great space for two carseats and all the baby stuff you need including the monster stroller and has a really neat hidden compartment under the floor.

How often do you have to recharge it? The Toyota Avalon is a nice car. One of my college friend's dad had one and it was so nice.
                            You don't recharge it at all. The electric motor charges when you run the gas motor and it all goes round and round and works perfectly. It's very quiet though and several times I've been behind people in the parking lot and they don't know it, so they turn around and walk right into me. You have to stay alert. At our age we need comfort and Mr. SR likes all the bells and whistles.
                            sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Yay for the big TV!!!
                              And we've discovered it's dwarfed by the room.

It snows more than a handful of times here. Still it feels weird to buy a car for that purpose.

Most people here have a snowblower. I have a guy who comes and shovels me out. What, my back couldn't handle it.
                              Good enough reason for me.

That's what my brother has, and what my family is encouraging me to someday get. It's very nice.
                              My friends have one of those and love it. He is an engineer and spent way more time than necessary researching cars and settled on that one.
                              Yep, we see a lot of them around and people seem to like them.

SR Jr. and the MRS have the big Acura SUV. We've come to call it the twinmobile because we've seen other parents of multiples with the same car. It has great space for two carseats and all the baby stuff you need including the monster stroller and has a really neat hidden compartment under the floor.
                              LOL, I'm suddenly envisioning a baby version of the legendary clown car...

Comment

I can't wait to read Zandra's Ashes con report.

Oh yeah, I got a diploma in the mail - but it was the wrong diploma!! It was some guy named Linus's. (Who names their kid Linus?) Then I got an email from the school saying many people had gotten the wrong diplomas and they were going to fix it. Doesn't say much for their computer programming department that this happened.

You don't recharge it at all. The electric motor charges when you run the gas motor and it all goes round and round and works perfectly. It's very quiet though and several times I've been behind people in the parking lot and they don't know it, so they turn around and walk right into me. You have to stay alert. At our age we need comfort and Mr. SR likes all the bells and whistles.

Oh, I didn't know you don't have to recharge a hybrid. That's pretty cool!

Though not so good about almost running into people. Around here people are so bad in parking lots, they'll walk right into you when you're pulling out - no matter how loud your car is. Rhode Islanders also don't believe in turn signals, or coming to a full stop at a stop sign. We're a messed up state.

I like the comfort too. I must have leather seats. It helps my back with getting in and out of the car. And heated seats.

And we've discovered it's dwarfed by the room.
                                Maybe you need a bigger TV then.

LOL, I'm suddenly envisioning a baby version of the legendary clown car...
                                Now I'm picturing it too. Hahahaha!

Oh, and Falcon Horus was mentioning motorcycles. There was a crash not that far from me where 7 motorcycle riders were killed when they ran into a truck. Motorcycles scare me.
                                Last edited by JT-2; 24 June 2019, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X