Major Lorne Whumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by queen_hathor View Post
    Cool! Does it just have the whumpy bit or is it his whole 2 mins?

It was a bit icky
    It's just under 2 min ---

Spoiler:
    from the 'goodbye' scene to the 'screaming lady' scene.
    sigpic myLornefanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Bartlett View Post

question: is there a line in whumping a character? do people think anything (including killing them) is fair game or do you stop just short of that?
      Interesting question...

For me kind of depends....if we're talking Scifi/Fantasy then death often isn't permanent or doesn't have to be. So you can have the best of both worlds. The deadly whump, the angst and then the bringing then back by whatever means suits the story.

But saying that..I've just watched the Season 3 finale of Supernatural and

OT and big spoiler
      Spoiler:

Dean dies horribly and his soul is sent to be eternally tortured in the pit of hell. So quite some whump there then. The thing about this is... it was totally gut wrenching and not enjoyable whump for me but what made it bearable was the fact that I knew that he was going to escape somehow...because there's a Season 4. I'm about to start watching that any time now.(yippee ) ...he's still in the pit at the moment...I can't wait for him to get out.

So I don't think I can predict how far I like whump to go... depends on all kinds of factors. But Dean and Sam get regularly whumped to high heaven in Supernatural and it's great. Love it. So not helping here very much am I?

Originally posted by Iawen View Post
      That's an interesting question. I think everyone has their own lines that they draw. Some people are hard core, do as many cruel things as you can to them-type whumpers, and other people aren't. It's pretty much your own preference. That's how I see it anyway.
      Yep I agree.. it's each to their own.

In that case, I'd recommend watching it.... Lizzie and I just did!
      Spoiler:

snip
      Man did that scene traumatize me, especially since it was Kavan. Not the kind of whump I enjoy LOL.

I've seen that ep. *shudder*
      That ep was one of the few where I shut my eyes for a couple of minutes.
      But apart from that bit it was great.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LizzieAnne View Post
        That ep was one of the few where I shut my eyes for a couple of minutes.
        But apart from that bit it was great.

I dont know if it was because it was a small, 3x4 inch screen, that made it not that bad for me... Then again, I didnt see the entire ep. Perhaps there were worse parts.
        sigpic myLornefanfic

Comment

Originally posted by SciFiSGFan View Post
          I dont know if it was because it was a small, 3x4 inch screen, that made it not that bad for me... Then again, I didnt see the entire ep. Perhaps there were worse parts.
          Yes there was something worse....lol...couldn't tell quite how horrible 'cause I had my eyes shut..didn't even look through my fingers that time. Just couldn't bear to look.

Queen would know, she's not as squeamish as me.
          sigpic

Comment

Back to happier whumping---when I first saw The Prodigal when I bought the season five DVD, I rewound a certain scene many times. It took me much longer than it should have to get through that episode, haha!
            sigpic
            Much thanks to Snowball for the banner! Many thanks to Cazzblade for the avatar!!
            I'm a 60%er!
            ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

Cool! Does it just have the whumpy bit or is it his whole 2 mins?

It was a bit icky
              I loved it (and not just 'cause Kavan's character got killed )!

LOL, well today's another day... and... I got nothing!
              don't worry, it comes and goes

I guess I should answer the question that I posed a page (or so) ago

Personally I don't mind beating up a character around 'cause I know that it's only fiction and what's inflicted on them will heal given time. But I think that I draw the line a killing a character, although I broke that rule since I just did that to a character. However, it was part of the story and I had planned around that...so I guess that it's whatever the person who is writing the story is comfortable with (after they're the ones writing the story )

It's Complicated Butterflies and Hurricanes

Comment

i dont kill chars... whump em yes... well they may 'die' briefly... okay i'll explain that.. i've gotten addicted to Highlander... so uh.. yea... death's maybe common... but then they are temp too... hell even in some of my rp atm, my char has had a few deaths since she's become immortal *smirks*
                sigpic

Comment

Howdy whumpers!

question: is there a line in whumping a character? do people think anything (including killing them) is fair game or do you stop just short of that?
                  I missed this question before, oops!

This one I've discussed a few times with people on and off forums. I'd say that yes, there's a line although where it ends is very very fuzzy. *sigh* I used to draw the line at torture, then I had a conversation with another whumper which led to the question of what classes as torture? Gah, this is hard. Basically I still stand by the no to torture thing, it's just that there's been exceptions... for example, Ronon in Broken Ties ... the Wraith doing what he did was in effect torturing him, but most of the Ronon whumpers love it. It's hard to explain. Then there's a couple of examples in Spn (damn Kavan for not being whumped enough to give proper examples lol)... spoilered for OT:

Dean

Spoiler:
                  In Shadow when's he's being held against the wall and slashed at, it can been seen as torture as it's been done just to hurt him... but OMG is it good!!

Sam - S4 spoiler - Lizzie do not read... the caps I posted don't give the story away, this will

Spoiler:
                  In Jump the shark ... Lizzie, you'd best not be looking!!
                  Spoiler:
                  being slowly drained of blood... now that HAS to be classed as torture, but with all the angst and other stuff going on... guh!!

Sooo, what was my point? Er yeah, there's a fuzzy line. I guess it's down to personal preference, but I certainly draw the line at non-con/rape. I had a bit of a fall out in one of the threads with a few people over this, when someone said that as whumpers, we should be 'open' to any kind of whump. Well not me!! Each to their own obviously... for example I'm a drippy blood gal, and a lot of whumpers don't like that! Weirdos!

Killing a character off... again, that's a difficult one. Like you said, if it's something you had in mind and that's where the story's leading, then don't change it. Sometimes character death is inevitable... luckily with any programmes I've watched, or fics I've read it's not been permanent... and I've known it's not going to be beforehand. The exception which nearly had me screaming at the screen was

Atlantis S5
                  Spoiler:

In Enemy at the gate where Ronon was stabbed - and died. I'd totally forgotten that I'd seen pics of the end scene with them on the balcony and he was there!! My other half was going 'did you know they were killing him off?' and I was sat there with my jaw on the floor until something in my brain finally remembered the balcony scene. Talk about heart racing!!

*scratched head* did I actually answer anything, or just ramble there?

It's just under 2 min ---

Spoiler:
                  from the 'goodbye' scene to the 'screaming lady' scene.
                  That's it, Kavan's Spn career!

But saying that..I've just watched the Season 3 finale of Supernatural and

OT and big spoiler
                  Spoiler:

Dean dies horribly and his soul is sent to be eternally tortured in the pit of hell. So quite some whump there then. The thing about this is... it was totally gut wrenching and not enjoyable whump for me but what made it bearable was the fact that I knew that he was going to escape somehow...because there's a Season 4. I'm about to start watching that any time now.(yippee ) ...he's still in the pit at the moment...I can't wait for him to get out.
                  I agree, though I've seen it 3 times now so I'm kind of de-sensitised to a certain extent. It's the emo side of it that gets me every time though *sniff*

Although I would say that you didn't seem to mind so much when

S3 spoiler
                  Spoiler:

Bela met the same end!!

But Dean and Sam get regularly whumped to high heaven in Supernatural and it's great. Love it. So not helping here very much am I?
                  Nope!

It didn't really show anything though... it was more insinuated I thought... just as well

Queen would know, she's not as squeamish as me.
                  As long as it's not eyes or needles I can usually deal with things!!

Back to happier whumping---when I first saw The Prodigal when I bought the season five DVD, I rewound a certain scene many times. It took me much longer than it should have to get through that episode, haha!
                  Ooooh, that reminds me... I have an official script from that ep!!! *does a happy dance & squishiehuggles JoeRocks*

I loved it (and not just 'cause Kavan's character got killed )!
                  Just a shame there wasn't more screen time

don't worry, it comes and goes

I guess I should answer the question that I posed a page (or so) ago
                  I may have missed the reason you asked in the 1st place... was this is general question or relating to a fic you're reading/writing?

Originally posted by CKO View Post
                  i've gotten addicted to Highlander... so uh.. yea... death's maybe common...
                  You don't say!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CKO View Post
                    i dont kill chars... whump em yes... well they may 'die' briefly... okay i'll explain that.. i've gotten addicted to Highlander... so uh.. yea... death's maybe common... but then they are temp too... hell even in some of my rp atm, my char has had a few deaths since she's become immortal *smirks*
                    The only time I ever killed a character in a fic was just to prove to myself that I could. LOL. I haven't done it ever since.

Howdy whumpers!

Ooooh, that reminds me... I have an official script from that ep!!! *does a happy dance & squishiehuggles JoeRocks*
                    Awesome. *jealous*
                    sigpic
                    Much thanks to Snowball for the banner! Many thanks to Cazzblade for the avatar!!
                    I'm a 60%er!
                    ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

This one I've discussed a few times with people on and off forums. I'd say that yes, there's a line although where it ends is very very fuzzy. *sigh* I used to draw the line at torture, then I had a conversation with another whumper which led to the question of what classes as torture? Gah, this is hard. Basically I still stand by the no to torture thing, it's just that there's been exceptions...

Sooo, what was my point? Er yeah, there's a fuzzy line. I guess it's down to personal preference, but I certainly draw the line at non-con/rape. I had a bit of a fall out in one of the threads with a few people over this, when someone said that as whumpers, we should be 'open' to any kind of whump. Well not me!! Each to their own obviously... for example I'm a drippy blood gal, and a lot of whumpers don't like that! Weirdos!
                      I agree with you there, there is a fuzzy line but at the same time if you're not against it then I'm not one to stop you from writing it. Although I'll draw the line at non-con/rape as well. I'm willing to get squicky but not that squicky.

Killing a character off... again, that's a difficult one. Like you said, if it's something you had in mind and that's where the story's leading, then don't change it. Sometimes character death is inevitable... luckily with any programmes I've watched, or fics I've read it's not been permanent...
                      That's one of the joys of writing in a sci-fi 'verse; you can always find some way of bringing people back if you kill them although if you're working with in a specific show/'verse then you need to be able to use the tech of that show/'verse and be able to explain it enough to seem believe-able.

I may have missed the reason you asked in the 1st place... was this is general question or relating to a fic you're reading/writing?
                      it was a combo of both, although I think that I had already answered the question in my head and was trying to generate some conversation here

Comment

Interesting discussion on the fine line of whumpage. I can't remember what I said now at the last discussion and can't be bothered going back to find it.

sigpic
                        Thanks to Jumble for the icon and siggy.
                        My ff.net My Own Website

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate78fan View Post
                          Interesting discussion on the fine line of whumpage. I can't remember what I said now at the last discussion and can't be bothered going back to find it.
                          I just feel slight bad for Lorne and all the stuff I put him through in my fic. So far he's been: knocked out, caught in a collapsing building, fell/caught in an avalanche, knocked out (2nd time), attacked by evil aliens, almost blown up, attacked/hunted by the Wraith, ended up in a shoot out with said evil aliens, caught in another collapsing building/avalanche, kinda sorta died and had his memory wiped.

Comment

I just feel slight bad for Lorne and all the stuff I put him through in my fic. So far he's been: knocked out, caught in a collapsing building, fell/caught in an avalanche, knocked out (2nd time), attacked by evil aliens, almost blown up, attacked/hunted by the Wraith, ended up in a shoot out with said evil aliens, caught in another collapsing building/avalanche, kinda sorta died and had his memory wiped.

You HAVE posted this chapter right?
                            sigpic
                            I'm a 60%er!
                            ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

not yet, soon though I promise!

Comment

EB, you're evil to poor Lorne! I can't remember what I've done to him. I do remember he's been given electric shots, been made invisible because he touched something that wasn't meant for him. He's had his wife killed (in the alternate universe to what I'm currently writing), his kids taken from him and his wife too. His wife was taken over by Goa'uld way back at the SGC when they were there together, before they were married. But mostly the usual physical and emo whump. Oh, he's also been trapped in a fallen down building too, I don't think I've published it yet. Oh, maybe I am just as evil as you're!

sigpic
                                Thanks to Jumble for the icon and siggy.
                                My ff.net My Own Website

Comment

Working...
                                X