No announcement yet.

Carson Beckett/Paul McGillion Thunk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone haven't been here in awhile. I miss my Carsonness.

Oh love the pics from "Sunday" the episode that broke my poor heart.

*sigh* Well congrats to the Red Sox for winnin' the World Series. As a die hard Yankee fan that is extremely hard for me to say. But they were the better team this year.*she says begrudenly*
    sigpic
    Rodney and John. Friends till the End.

Thanks to Watcher652 for making this wonderful Banner.

Comment

Phynyxoffyre, ouch! Those injuries sound painful! I hope they heal up well and quickly. Feel better soon!

Finding two of my topics kind of dove-tailing, as it were: anger over the handling of Carson's death and issues with some of the new season. There's one root cause to these that I keep coming back to and that is that it feels like the character development scenes are getting pushed into the off-screen time. I know there are two kinds of story-telling in sci-fi (and most other genres probably): one where the characters are the center of the story and everything happens around them, and one where the plot is the center of the story and characterization happens around it. As a viewer, reader, and writer, I tend to favor the first kind. I'm in this to see the relationships (not shippiness per se, but all interaction), the growth of the individuals, the angst, the love, the humor, that sort of thing. The Threat of the Week is window-dressing, just a frame around those interactions, as far as I'm concerned. And now, I'm seeing those moments get glossed over more and more. We just get token peeks at them (Sam saying goodbye to Teal'c, for example, rather than a whole scene of her leaving SG-1, or making her decision, etc.). And after those glimpses, they aren't carried over very much into later episodes. I was impressed Weir still gets comments ("Doppelganger" example, "You said that because we're standing in Dr. Weir's office, didn't you?"). While these things don't need to be in the forefront (and frankly, subtle little looks, phrasings, comments, etc. are usually better anyway), I would like the closure of seeing these things take place rather than just inferring that they did, as if we're only welcome in our characters' lives at carefully scheduled occasions.

Keller could have had a much smoother introduction that helped people bond to her easier. Show her first time sitting in on a meeting with the team as the new CMO. Let the audience see how she and the others are uncomfortable with her in Beckett's seat. Show McKay avoiding her or being a bit sharper than usual in her presence. Have her voice her thoughts on her sudden promotion and its circumstances to him perhaps, to show the healing beginning for them both (because I'm sure she's shaken by her boss and friend's death too). Just give us something to show her beginning to integrate with the team instead of jumping straight into having her eat with them, hang out, etc. Even Zelenka doesn't do that, and he's worked with them closely for three years! Keller, as near as I can tell, didn't have that much interaction with them before her promotion, so I would have liked to see her join them for the first time, maybe Sheppard inviting her to come sit with them to show they've all accepted her in her new role. Just MHO.

Wow, long ramble. Sorry to rant on! Just very protective of my characters and like to see my shows live up to all they can be. I think there was actually more I was going to say, but I kind of got lost writing that and it's probably just as well.

What really bugged me about the episode (apart from his death) was the fact that nobody seemed to care for him because they all turned him down. I know that was the idea behind it but honestly, the man at least deserved to be treated nicely by ONE person.
      If it makes you feel any better, just about everybody turned down or tried to get away from just about everybody else. A whole day of friends taking each other for granted and getting one nastily harsh reminder of the cost of that. *sob*

As for Beckett not really being mentioned again, you're right we don't talk much about the dead once we've recovered and gotten used to them not being in our world on a daily basis, but with it still being this soon since his death, I would have liked to see at least some commentary (even in the last three episodes of season 3 at least!) to show the group still thinks of him. One of my favorite examples of a show handling a character's departure in a touching way that keeps the audience happy is the latest season of Doctor Who.
      Spoiler:
      Rose's name is never far from the Doctor's mind and she's mentioned in more than half of the episodes. Her presence was still almost tangible in the show, especially to Martha who kept having to compete with a woman who wasn't even there. That, to me, really was a well-executed act of character continuity, and I found it very powerful in its quiet way.

Okay, enough from me. I'm supposed to be working on a lab report anyway. Sorry to go on so long! Back to your regularly scheduled Carson-love!

Seti

Comment

Originally posted by phibi View Post
        Spoiler:
        exactly, Carter doesn't belong in Atlantis. I like her character, no question, but she's with SG1 saving Earth... not with the Atlantis crew saving Atlantis... And what makes it even more harder to accept is, WHY would she suddenly step over to Atlantis?! The Carter we know from SG1 wouldn't leave them.. especially not now in time where the thread of the Ori are still there... And the last scene of Unending showed that she still is with her team. So that's the thing that bugs me about Carter.
        But I love the fourth season nevertheless... I guess I pointed that out a few times now, didn't I? *lol*
        Spoiler:
        Well, I know that this 4th season is after the two movies.... So no Ori anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SETI_fan View Post
          one root cause to these that I keep coming back to and that is that it feels like the character development scenes are getting pushed into the off-screen time. I tend to favor the first kind. I'm in this to see the relationships (not shippiness per se, but all interaction), the growth of the individuals, the angst, the love, the humor, that sort of thing. The Threat of the Week is window-dressing, just a frame around those interactions, as far as I'm concerned. And now, I'm seeing those moments get glossed over more and more.
          You are singing my song.

And after those glimpses, they aren't carried over very much into later episodes. I was impressed Weir still gets comments While [these things don't need to be in the forefront (and frankly, subtle little looks, phrasings, comments, etc. are usually better anyway), I would like the closure of seeing these things take place rather than just inferring that they did, as if we're only welcome in our characters' lives at carefully scheduled occasions.
          What I have noticed is that many think the only way to show how the losses have affected those who remain behind is by those characters saying how much they miss the person. First, since when did speech become the only way of communicating emotion in a visual medium? There is such a thing as "showing not telling." Even something as simple as finding a lab coat, for example, which had belonged to Carson and holding on to it.

And even when talking about those who are lost, why would you have to say those exact words. How about the insertion of either Carson's or Elizabeth's name in a situation where they would have been consulted? Doesn't it seem likely for friends to forget for a moment or to make a slip?

Just give us something to show her beginning to integrate with the team instead of jumping straight into having her eat with them, hang out, etc. Even Zelenka doesn't do that, and he's worked with them closely for three years! Keller, as near as I can tell, didn't have that much interaction with them before her promotion, so I would have liked to see her join them for the first time, maybe Sheppard inviting her to come sit with them to show they've all accepted her in her new role. Just MHO.
          I think because Keller is played by JS, tptb figured they could just take the shortcut to her joining the group at the table. For some of those who were fans of her from Firefly, this may be fine. For me, I think it is sloppy work and it ticks me off.

Speaking of Doppelganger, why didn't John
          Spoiler:
          have flashbacks of Carson and Weir when he fears failing his friends (scenes of him trying to stop Carson from operating and trying to reach Weir). That would have made the episode much more poignant, IMO.

Wow, long ramble. Sorry to rant on! Just very protective of my characters and like to see my shows live up to all they can be.
          You inspired me to rant as well.

And for thunking purposes (Cap by Linz):
          Spoiler:

I vote Carson must wear dark blue more often.

Comment

Originally posted by erb View Post
            And for thunking purposes (Cap by Linz):

I vote Carson must wear dark blue more often.
            No time, no time, buddies!

But I just need to tell erb that THIS PIC SHOULD BE ILLEGAL! *sways on seat*

I keep making the whumpers happy with some additional caps from 'Just Cause'.
            Spoiler:

Happy Halloween, everybody!
            twinchaosblade .......................... ...... ...... ..........................Homepage and FanFic
            sigpic

Comment

OMG - I saw this article about the Red Sox victory parade and I just had to post it ...

When the Red Sox needed a closer -- even for their World Series championship parade -- Jonathan Papelbon was their man.

Papelbon donned a kilt and danced his trademark Irish jig to the roars of tens of thousands of fans Tuesday as the city celebrated Boston's second World Series title in four years with a three-mile-long rolling rally from Fenway Park to City Hall Plaza.

The two-hour parade paused three times for Papelbon to dance on a flatbed truck, accompanied by the Dropkick Murphys, a Boston-based punk rock band with heavy Irish folk music influence.

Before the parade, the band presented Papelbon with his own kilt plus one for ace Josh Beckett and general manager Theo Epstein, who had promised to dance with him.
              How great is that?! Even the Red Sox's Beckett has a kilt now!

Comment

Ahhhh the Dropkick Murphys are one of my favorite bands. So cool to have them play live for that (but I am so not surprised). Bagpipes and punk music = rawk.

sigpic
                www.savecarsonbeckett.com
                Visit My Flickr!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenner8675309 View Post
                  Ahhhh the Dropkick Murphys are one of my favorite bands. So cool to have them play live for that (but I am so not surprised). Bagpipes and punk music = rawk.
                  Just for you, Jenner ...

RAWK!

Comment

I know this is short notice, but does anyone have any good questions for me to ask Paul at the Creation Secaucus convention? Not "what's your favorite episode" or "tell us something funny that happened". This is Creation, so I'll only get one question, so I want a good one.

My kind of guy:
                    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

LAST CHANCE REMINDER!

Spoiler:
                      Name, email, address, 3 interests non SG related, yes or no on international buddy. I will email everyone that has signed up tomorrow night with details and instructions. Thanks everyone who is participating!
                      Carson's pointy hair makes my toe happy.

Comment

I haven't posted a pic or two in here for a few days now. So here they are:

Spoiler:

Last edited by *Oda*; 01 November 2007, 06:35 AM.
                        "What makes life worth living is knowing that one day you'll wake up and find the person that makes you happier than anything in the whole world. So don't ever lose hope and give up, everything turns out okay and the good guy always wins."

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652 View Post
                          I know this is short notice, but does anyone have any good questions for me to ask Paul at the Creation Secaucus convention? Not "what's your favorite episode" or "tell us something funny that happened". This is Creation, so I'll only get one question, so I want a good one.
                          Where is that list we had giong for Dragon*Con? There were some good questions in there that might work...
                          Otherwise, I can't think of anything right off the top of my head, but then... I've been studying like mad all week, I'm rather brain dead at the moment.

Well folks, but poping in real quick to say hi! I'm getting ready for a pony club testing this weekend, going for my HB rating (lesser of the two advanced horse management ratings) and there is SO MUCH stuff I have to know... it's rather insane. (I've heard they say that if you pass the upper level horse management ratings it counts for your first year at vet school -- and this is the first of the those too ratings).

So, wish me luck and I'll see ya'll either on Sunday or Monday!!

mmm... this was a good break from studying *melts away from all the gorgeous pictures*

Proudly Supporting Team USA

Comment

Idlewild I wish you good luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

This is my 800th post and it goes as almost always in Carson Thunk Thread.

I guess a pic spam is in order

Spoiler:

"What makes life worth living is knowing that one day you'll wake up and find the person that makes you happier than anything in the whole world. So don't ever lose hope and give up, everything turns out okay and the good guy always wins."

Comment

Originally posted by *Oda* View Post
                              Idlewild This is my 800th post and it goes as almost always in Carson Thunk Thread.
                              CONGRATULATIONS, Oda!!

Comment

Under Wraps is officially closed. Thanks to all who are participating. I'm super excited, I hope you are too! I've sent out the email to everyone! Hope this works out. *crosses fingers*
                                Carson's pointy hair makes my toe happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X