John Sheppard Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knocknashee

I think something they could explore further at a later date is Shep's relationship with Jinto, who seems overly attached to the Major as a second father figure in some ways. In fact, it'd be nice to see more of Shep with the Athosians in general, since they seem pretty fancinated by him and his stories.

I would like to see this as well. It seemed as if in the beginning Jinto and Halling would be important to the show, but then they were shoved off to the mainland and forgotten. Seeing Sheppard in the role of uncle or second father would have been a great insight to his character and I hope in the future they explore this.
    It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin7
      Ah..gotcha. LOL

Although I have to say..when I started watching the show with no clue to who SHEP was, I still didn't see him as the OBVIOUS hero which is partially why *I* ended up loving him so much.

He's the unwilling hero. The flawed hero. The hero cause it's the RIGHT thing to do, not cause he wants to Hero! LOL

::hugs Shep::

Some reviews kill me. Not just for SGA caues it's like do the REVIEWERS even watch the show? LOL
      I don't think they do and some of them obviously don't know the difference between SF shows. We had one here week before last that announced that Torri Higginson had worked out who Trekkies were. Jolly good but it had what to do with Stargate? Not all Trekkies watch Stargate and visa versa. Idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin7
        Some reviews kill me. Not just for SGA caues it's like do the REVIEWERS even watch the show? LOL
        just delurking to say I SO get that. It's like those summeries on the SG-1 box sets that call the NID the NSA and say Daniel was in love with that princess chick who over sarcophagized him. Did they even watch the ep? and they're writing the summeries

Comment

Originally posted by knocksnashee
          I think something they could explore further at a later date is Shep's relationship with Jinto, who seems overly attached to the Major as a second father figure in some ways. In fact, it'd be nice to see more of Shep with the Athosians in general, since they seem pretty fancinated by him and his stories.
          Originally posted by aaobuttons
          I would like to see this as well. It seemed as if in the beginning Jinto and Halling would be important to the show, but then they were shoved off to the mainland and forgotten. Seeing Sheppard in the role of uncle or second father would have been a great insight to his character and I hope in the future they explore this.
          Yes, where are those Athosians...? They seem to have faded into the background except to emerge as Wraith fodder... sometimes I forget that Teyla is Athosian and she really needs to be more Athosian.

I loved that steely look on Sheppard's face when Hallin came to his quarters anxiously announcing Jinto's disappearance. It was as if his protective instincts just took over...
          It is clear to me that the Athosians had a great deal of regard for him -- he was their hero... it was practically unheard of for people to be rescued once the Wraith captured them. That little game of hide and seek between Jinto and his friend really demonstrated the degree of hero worship that had taken hold among some of the younger Athosians. They seem to admire his grit and heroics but perhaps not realising that it came at such a high cost. Obviously the Athosians value bravery highly as a virtue.
          sigpic
          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

And yet, they adore him though he was the one who woke the Wraith.

Comment

Yikes...you don't know what your missing! IMHO, DS9 is perhaps one of the best Sci-Fi shows ever to grace the TV. Shame it's been going downhill ever since though!

*Worships at the Roddenberry altar*

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
              "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
                True, but they knew the Wraith would awaken eventually, and he did do it trying to save not only his people but theirs as well. I think they accept the mantra that Ford put so eloquently in Hide and Seek "Stuff happens".
                It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Originally posted by starfish
                  Yep. I only ever watched one ST episode and generally do not watch any sci-fi other than Stargate.
                  Probably a generational/parental thing...
                  I've been watching scifi since I was 6...

Originally posted by knocknashee
                  Yikes...you don't know what your missing! IMHO, DS9 is perhaps one of the best Sci-Fi shows ever to grace the TV. Shame it's been going downhill ever since though!

*Worships at the Roddenberry altar*
                  DS9 and TNG wil be my favourite Trek spinoffs... As for the best... it'll have to be B5 and Firefly

Wait a minute... isn't this a Shep thread... *gulp* Sucked in...
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Very exciting...
                    Joe Mallozzi answered another couple of my Sheppard questions...

Originally posted by JMallozzi
                    JF requested the Johnny Cash poster. I chose War and Peace.
                    Just thought I had to share it here with the gang...

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
                    Unlike the Genii, the Athosians probably have no means or agenda to deal with the Wraith... as far as they're concerned it didn't matter quite as much when the Wraith came. From what I can see, they're not an ambitious people and take what comes... afterall a large proportion of them tend to become Wraith fodder... So when someone comes along and manages to mount a rescue operation to save their people against the Wraith, it's probably much more mindblowing in their book.

So have we exhausted all avenues of discussion related to Hide and Seek?

It's a fun episode in my opinion... it showed both the lighter and heavier side of the main team coalescing together.

*being hassled about going grocery shopping...*
                    *Cuts post short*
                    sigpic

Comment

Should we move on to '38 Minutes'?

It was pretty angsty Sheppard episode. Not only did he have a life sucking bug on his neck he also thought for a fact that he was going to die because the Wrath let him go. It was great that even with the bug slowly paralizing him, he still managed to to shut McKay up.

And finally what WAS Sheppard going to say before Weir interupted him?
                      Last edited by GatetheWay; 14 May 2005, 08:44 PM.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                      Spoiler:

Comment

I have my own cherished theory that I'm not sharing but geez, did anyone wanna tell Weir to just shut up and let the man speak?

Comment

As much as I like Weir... I was a little annoyed that she didn't let Shep spill his guts... It's probably one of the few occasions that he demonstrated a willingness to pour his heart out and TPTB wants us hanging in limbo... Arrrghhh...She's probably got Chinese blood somewhere in there... that whole thing about speaking of death means to invite it etc etc I certainly don't think it was anything shippy... he hadn't known anyone for very long for that monologue- that-was-not-to-be to go in that direction.

Thirty-Eight Minutes is actually one of my favourite episodes... I liked the whole claustrophobic and desperate atmosphere... I'm not keen on the bug but it was very effective and frankly speaking I'm not that keen on pain... Hearing Shep give that loud strangled cry when when water was poured over the creature brought out all my motherly instincts. So the whole pain thing doesn't do much for me.
                          But I think it was a nice character piece for Sheppard that didn't feel like a character piece. I don't particularly care if the episode defies wormhole physics or undermines 8 years of Stargate know-how... but I am a believer that characterization becomes more interesting when everyone is under duress.

I supposed what is not often said is that ultimately it was Sheppard himself that found a way out of his predicament. In this episode we have another instance of Shep thinking his way out of things.
                          sigpic

Comment

Yes, it always amuses me when shipfic writers have him blurt out that he loves Weir. At that stage he doesn't seem to care for her much as a leader or even as a person let alone as a lover.

Comment

That would be too obvious, wouldn't it...
                              That's why I don't read Atlantis fanfics... I don't mind Melyanna's... but generally I don't read Atlantis fanfics...The show is in its infancy and well, I like to be surprised. Firefly, on the other hand,...

The thing is, Sheppard isn't the kind of person to blurt out this kind of sentimental prose that readily... He'd be dancing around for a while before getting to the point. If he was really keen on someone... I suspect that he'd be going around them in circles before finally admitting that maybe, possibly, he'd like to spend a bit more time with them.
                              sigpic

Comment

Oh, I certainly don't think he was about to profess undying love there. As others have said, they just didn't know each other well enough (though I think at least a month passed between the Antarctica scenes and the departure, to give people time to say goodbye to loved ones and to set things in order in case of the worst, so it's entirely possible that they had a week or so at the SGC in which they were some of the only Atlantis people around).

I think it was smallgirl, though, who postulated elsewhere that Sheppard's message then might have been primarily for Weir. Without him, her next ranking military officer would be Ford, a man with considerably less experience than Sheppard. Losing Sumner and Sheppard would leave Weir in a horrible position. We talk about her being utterly unprepared for the problems she faced, but can you imagine her trying to do this without Sheppard or Sumner? She's the one who needs to hear something from him, more than the others. I think she knows it too, which is why she questioned him in the end, knowing he wasn't really going to say that.

...feel free to ignore this. I'm really tired and probably not making much sense.
                                Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                                Last update: 14 April 2006
                                Melyanna's Multimedia
                                Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Working...
                                X