No announcement yet.

John Sheppard Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kratos_Goauld_of_War said it quite well!

The writers made him appear like that. I'm sure in real life he is a totally different person, though I have never met the man.

However practice being like that and you'll end up being something like that. It may not be as good as you think it is however. He maybe funny to you, but that's just you, everyone else may hate it, or find it annoying.

The writers scripted every one else in the show to act a certain way.

I too think he's cool, but I know it's just function.

However, if it works for you then good luck .

Comment

From what I've heard both via interviews with other cast members and from people who I know have met him. John Sheppard is very close to Joe Flanigan in terms of personality.

Obviously there are slightly differences but from what I hear it's pretty much all him in the role, plus a little extra. Hope that helps.
      I believe among your people it is customary to shake hands....... Just a little Wraith humor

Sig thanks to geekywraith *big hugs*

Comment

Originally posted by Lotto View Post
        Hi guys, I don't know if I posted this in the right place or not. I'm fairly new to the boards. Anyway, I'm a huge fan of John Sheppard's personality. I love his "sarcasm" and sense of humour etc. I was wondering would anybody know what sort of personality or sense of humour he has and how would you go about acting like that? He has a similar type of personality to mine. I'm naturally sarcastic I suppose and try to be funny like that, not on purpose, just the way I am but I would love to try acting like John Sheppard for a few days see what it would be like. It's a stupid thread I know but I can't find anything searching google and you guys are the experts.

While we're at it, is there anybody you guys like out of SGA or SG1 for they're personality or sense of humour?
        Babe. If you like John/Joe come and join us at the John Sheppard/Joe Flanigan Thunk Thread! We're all fans there.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fifi View Post
          Babe. If you like John/Joe come and join us at the John Sheppard/Joe Flanigan Thunk Thread! We're all fans there.
          You guys post too damn fast. You're like always at the top of that forum list lol, not to mention your thread is ONLY a thunk thread. What if you merely appreciate his acting like me....being a straight guy and all...
          I believe among your people it is customary to shake hands....... Just a little Wraith humor

Comment

Originally posted by Kratos_Goauld_of_War View Post
            Besides, Sheppard is just a poor man's O'neill in terms of humor.
            Ah, here we go again. Who's better, O'Neill or Sheppard? *sigh* Can't we, I don't know, enjoy both of them for different reasons? O'Neill had a deadpan sort of humor while Sheppard didn't overplay the "resident idiot" card as much. I loved O'Neill's "lalala, I don't care" banter with Daniel and I loved Sheppard's "you know, I actually do get what you are talking about" bickering with McKay.

Why does every thread have to turn into a SG-1 vs. SGA war?

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
              If you really like sarcasm that much you should watch O'neill episodes instead.
              Amen to that.
              "i'm not doctor weir"

yeah, damn straight.

Comment

I like both O'neill and Sheppard for different reasons. They both have sarcastic wit down to a fine art but it's not the same delivery for both of them. What works for one wouldn't work for the other. I probebly tend to gravitate towards enjoying Sheppard's personality more then O'neill's though.

I'm just happy that SG1 and SGA have both of these characters for us to enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by face of jase. View Post
                  Amen to that.
                  Nice Sig!!!!!!!

And just for the record I prefer Sheppard over O'Neill in terms of character. But everyone is different.

Let the Sheppard Vs O'Neill battle begin (or continue because it seems to have started before I called it).

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Geek View Post
                    I think tptb are just not sure how to go about portraying his character. *sigh*
                    True, true. They had no idea how to portray him - is he a geek or not, is he genius or not, is he the strongest ATA carrier or not - but they already knew with whom to pair him up: his ex-wife - that was according to Joe Mallozzi the one woman with whom the writers could have imagined him. Right, he in Pegasus, she on Earth, wow, that's taking the long-distance relationship to the extreme.

I just really don't get why the writers suddenly went on a "let's pair everybody up" spree. I mean, did they open a dating service or what? Their "hurry, hurry, let's get them all in the sack" attitude during the 2nd half of S5 was ridiculous. I would have rather seen them work on the existing issues than create new ones...

Comment

Originally posted by Kratos_Goauld_of_War View Post
                      By putting the word "sarcasm" in quotes you, in turn, made that sentence sarcastic. Neat.

Anyway, the reason that Sheppard is like that is because he has a whole team of writers working for him to give him that dry, sarcastic wit, so you could try acting like him for a couple days, but it would be a little ridiculous.

You really shouldn't try to emulate a fictional characters entire personality. Especially because it's not his (Joe Flannigan's) personality. It's fake. If you say Sheppard has a personality similar to yours than you don't need to act like him.

And you shouldn't try*to be funny "like that", sarcasm in itself isn't funny on purpose. So if you try to be purposefully sarcastic you can come off sounding like jerk, or somewhat unintelligent.

Besides, Sheppard is just a poor man's O'neill in terms of humor.

I didn't do that on purpose lol. Put the sarcasm in "". lol. There's sometimes when my sarcasm has got me into trouble though. My mum has started shouting at me for saying something, call me a sarcastic or cheeky little sh*t and I don't know what I said. lol. That always happens. I always get in trouble for that so I try to keep my mouth shut now.

Comment

I love sheppard def my favourite character in SGA with McKay a close second. He's like a mix of jack and daniel from SG1.

Comment

This vid: http://www.imeem.com/kikimiserychic/...ortfilm-video/
                          It is not exactly Thunk or Whump material, and so I didn not post it there, but seems to be a comment on the Character of John Sheppard as well as how the USA is viewed by the world.
                          Very interesting, and I'm not sure what to make of it.
                          It's angsty, moody and has spoilers for all seasons.
                          Any thoughts?
                          Did the character of Sheppard mirror the USA's "war on terror" which is what I sort of think that the vid is saying?
                          Or maybe I'm totally off-base.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucylee View Post
                            This vid: http://www.imeem.com/kikimiserychic/...ortfilm-video/
                            It is not exactly Thunk or Whump material, and so I didn not post it there, but seems to be a comment on the Character of John Sheppard as well as how the USA is viewed by the world.
                            Very interesting, and I'm not sure what to make of it.
                            It's angsty, moody and has spoilers for all seasons.
                            Any thoughts?
                            Did the character of Sheppard mirror the USA's "war on terror" which is what I sort of think that the vid is saying?
                            Or maybe I'm totally off-base.
                            Not exactly sure of Sheppard as a metaphor for the USA, I'd have to think about it a bit.
                            But the song is a rendition of a Joni Mitchell peace protest song from the 60's
                            http://www.informationclearinghouse....rticle5247.htm
                            The vid is very well done, a bit unsettling too.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X