Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ronon Dex/Jennifer Keller Appreciation/Ship/Discussion (Doctor & Wild Man)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning Love Shack.

Looks good Jade.

I downloaded something for Gimp this morning, but I can't tell if it is a script or a plug-in. So I have to research the difference today so I know where to put them after I've downloaded them. They are new boarders. There is just too much other stuff that can be added. I need to stop looking and just play with it now. Actually I should set it aside all together and get this story written!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bailey1ak View Post
      Morning Love Shack.

Looks good Jade.

I downloaded something for Gimp this morning, but I can't tell if it is a script or a plug-in. So I have to research the difference today so I know where to put them after I've downloaded them. They are new boarders. There is just too much other stuff that can be added. I need to stop looking and just play with it now. Actually I should set it aside all together and get this story written!
      Thanks

oh I figured out a way to remove the background in Gimp that is cleaner than erasing it.. idk if any of you have done this but I like it a lot better.. 1st you add an alpha channel by going into the layer option down to transparency and adding alpha layer.. then you you the path tool and outline the image click the -selection from path- button.. go into select choose invert then go into edit and click clear and that will remove the background to transparency, but i think you have to do it separate from your siggy then copy paste it to your siggy.

It sounds more complicated in writing then it actually is and also I am tired so I am probably not explaining it well
      sigpic

Comment

Jade, it sounds like the way I used to do it at first. I found a youtube video that showed a step by step how to remove the background.

It worked really well, but then I accidentally discovered that if I scaled the photo slightly than the erasing took the background off and left it transparent. (I think if I don't scale or alter the pic first than the erasing takes it to a white background.)

Anyway, for me the erasing just seems faster and less steps, but I still do use a lot of things the video taught me, but for other applications in Gimp.
        sigpic

Comment

What hubby does is open the pic in Paint, zoom in very very close and change the color to match the rest of the background pixel by pixel almost - or something similar anyway. I don't have that kind of patience.
          sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

I'm with you, Ever. I need to move on to the rest of the sig process. Erasing is just faster, although a bet the hair and halo or outlining on figures would be better with these longer methods.
            sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                Morning everyone.

Perhaps our GIMP Addicts (& Ever) Group could have a sub-group dedicated to brushes and fonts. Great work everyone. I'm sure Mr Mac will love your sig Copter.

I'm so tired this morning I can barely keep my eyes open. So I'm off back to bed. See you all later.
                Morning Blen! And he did love it! See ya later...

Copter I think it looks great. Lots of pics of Daniel arms and chest. What's not to like. I'm sure he'll like it.
                He did love it, thanks!

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
                I was going to ask if it was for Mac. I'm sure he'll love it! He seems to have a thing for Daniel's arms.
                He loved it and has it uploaded already!

Originally posted by SeNedra View Post
                Hi
                BTW how long it takes you usually to make a sig? I am able to spend many hours with one if I have some issue with it...
                Hi SeN. I made DG's Ronon sig in less than an hour but Mac's Daniel sig took me over 3......go figure.....

Originally posted by Sapphire_Jade View Post
                Moring Love Shack saw a few of you were on so I'd thought i'd share this before I go off to bed I got inspiration for a Rush sig last night!
                nice!

Originally posted by Sapphire_Jade View Post
                oh I figured out a way to remove the background in Gimp that is cleaner than erasing it.. idk if any of you have done this but I like it a lot better.. 1st you add an alpha channel by going into the layer option down to transparency and adding alpha layer.. then you you the path tool and outline the image click the -selection from path- button.. go into select choose invert then go into edit and click clear and that will remove the background to transparency, but i think you have to do it separate from your siggy then copy paste it to your siggy.

It sounds more complicated in writing then it actually is and also I am tired so I am probably not explaining it well
                will try this later and I will let you know if it doesn't make sense, right now I think I got it....thanks for the tip!

Jade, it sounds like the way I used to do it at first. I found a youtube video that showed a step by step how to remove the background.

It worked really well, but then I accidentally discovered that if I scaled the photo slightly than the erasing took the background off and left it transparent. (I think if I don't scale or alter the pic first than the erasing takes it to a white background.)
                Thanks for the video, will try this later. Not sure I understand the highlighted part though......
                sigpic

Comment

Morning Copter.

If I load in a picture as a layer and use the erase tool than the part I'm erasing usually turns white - not transparent.

If I load in a picture as a layer and alter it in some way, usually I use the scale tool (little box with diagonal arrow to other little box and ) than when I use the erase tool than the part that is erased is transparent and will allow other pictures or backgrounds to show through. The amount of scale doesn't seem to matter tiny bit or a tone, both seem to turn on the transparent part.

I have noticed that croping a photo, (but the current layer only so it doesn't crop the whole signature) will also allow for the erasing to be to a transparent back ground as well.

I typically enlarge (zoom in) the view quite a bit when I get close to the body or head in the erasing process so that I can get as close as possible without hurting the part I'm trying to keep. Then when done zoom back out.

I may not have actually made that any clearer. But your sigs are coming out pretty so you must be doing something right.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yea!! Lunch Time.

sigpic

Comment

I am back and finally free for tonight

It was an interesting tut bailey, thanks I am doing it a bit different way (what a surprise ), I am actually cropping it roughly at first and then I am playing with the oppacity of added layer mask. I think all the ways are ok, it also depends on the colour of the background etc. I am using gimp over two years and still don't understand maybe half of the functions...

And yeah, sometimes it can be very quick to finish a sig , if the idea is good It took me about 30 minutes to do this one, but about an hour to figure out how to put the pics

Comment

Well bailey, I have only made 3 so far [first one doesn't count] and I wasn't wild about the 3rd one so I don't know about doing it right.

I cannot crop in a layer, it crops *everything* so any cropping has to be done separately, for me at least. Scaling and erasing is no problem. Just make sure that the 2 little boxes, the white box is on top. Then when you erase it should show the background.

And your post did make sense, at least after I read it 3 times but it is still early for me and I am not a morning person.

I am looking for a good place to DL brushes....anyone want to share?
                        sigpic

Comment

Copter, cropping only the layer can be done. It took my several weeks to figure out how to crop only the layer I was working with in a sig. When I found the little check mark box I was so, so elated!

sigpic

Comment

Layer masks are a complete mystery to me. I usually manage to find some way around having to use them usually involving making the pic a lot bigger & involving erasing. Actually I think it's about time I updated my GIMP. Mine is an old version & I wonder if I'm missing out on some functions.

Did you try the link to Deviant Art I posted a while back, Copter? If you didn't see it, here it is again. I get nearly all my brushes from there. Oh and something I forgot to say - photoshop .abr brushes work in GIMP as well.

http://browse.deviantart.com/resourc...s/gimpbrushes/

Here's a sig I've been making this afternoon. I used some grunge brushes to make the galaxy/space look.

Comment

SeN, I am amazed at how beautiful the coloring is on your's. I'm hopint to try out that retinex that you suggested yesterday or the day before. Blen's suggestion on using soft glow for lightening a pic rather than the burn/dodge tool has been amazing as well. It is wonderful to have all these different Gimp users because it gives us so many ways of doing things and hopefully easier or more dramatic as well.

By the way, I really love your Lovesick sig. The colors are beautiful.
                              sigpic

Comment

Blen, I went to that site and downloaded those brushes last night and installed them, but haven't had a chance to try any out yet.

I have also found some brushes just by googling for Gimp brushes, haven't tried those yet either, but did install them last night and they showup in the toolbar.

The font website you suggested yesterday is going to be a time killer though... there are so many awesome ones in there to browse through that you find yourself completely sidetracked.

Love the newest sig too. Really feeling the need to go try out my new brushes now!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X