This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
    I like the fact that they were depicting Keller as someone who might actually have some flaws they'll need to work out or personal challenges to overcome. I know it's probably hoping for too much to think that we'll actually get to see any of that but if we do it'll be a nice break from the cast of superheros, what with having an actual human around and all.
    We already HAD someone like that. His name was Carson Beckett!

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
      Yes we did but so far Keller looks to be just as good a character.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

i never cared about the doctors any way.... seriously fraser wants a big deal. Carson was cool, but i expected him not to last.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

They handled her introduction really well. She doubted herself, but when the **** hit the fan, she was really on top of it.
          Spoiler:
          After the beam hit the control tower, she was handling the triage like a pro.
          I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
            Yes we did but so far Keller looks to be just as good a character.
            So they're just interchangeable then?

I already knew the Beckett character. I LIKED the Beckett character. There was no need to replace Beckett with someone who is "just as good a character."

I don't want to watch Beckett's replacement do things "just as good" as Beckett did them. I want to watch Beckett do those things.

Neither am I interested in watching disposable characters who can be dumped at a moment's notice just to "shake things up." The only thing Beckett's death shook up for me was my loyalty to the show.

Dr. Keller can be killed off just as fast as Dr. Beckett was. And she will be if she doesn't bring in whatever demographic tptb are looking for. Gotta keep that element of danger in there ya know.

Comment

While she seemed to be not so sure of her new position in Atlantis and a little bit humbled by it, she certainly showed she can take charge when needed. I think I'll come to like her, but no one can truly fill Carson's shoes.

sig by Pandora's_Box

Comment

Ok, I have never seen Firefly nor any other JS roles, so while I am an avid Caron fan and enraged he is gone, I attempted to watch with an open mind, and I was unimpressed. Granted, she had two scenes, but the acting seemed very High School theater in the first scene. And don't think I didn't notice her convieniently wardrobbed in a sleeveless base uniform. Sure, she's pretty and thats obviously some of her charm, but that was just overthetop for me.

She can not and will not fill Beckett's shoes no matter what. She may prove to be a great actress as time goes on and she may get a great character, but so far they are giving her similar characteristics that Carson had, so I don't see what the point was.

sigpic
                www.savecarsonbeckett.com
                Visit My Flickr!!

Comment

ummm thats the point of her character to br kind and insecure while doing as well as carson .... she'll be fine,

Comment

I personally like Dr Keller, thought how she was introduced was just right enough to give us an idea of the character without compramizing the story or other character especially being the finale. Though its going to take a while for the Carson fans to except her or maybe never but I guess we'll all find out next season to how this all will unfold.
                    sigpic

Comment

I really really enjoyed seeing her. I'm a hardcore beckett fan but I didn't see anything wrong with her. The whole age thing "she's to young!!1!" is irking me because I don't see how it's relevant. So far she seems to be handling herself quite well and I think in time she can turn out to be a really great character if given the chance. It kindaa sucks though because of the nature of her role she's put in a very tough spot and it shows around the fandom (no disrespect to anyone, promise ) in reviews and peoples posts. I just hope that it'll die down and tptb will give her something that will show she's not what everyones freaking out over and judging by where she was left off in s3 it seems like tptb is trying to do so.

*crosses fingers for jewl/keller*

Can nobodies be somebodies?
                      My Livejournal
                      Lemming #63!

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
                        Yeah but then they had him start performing medical experiments on POWs and cooking up bio weapons for people with gleams of genocide in their eyes.

He also said the Wraith were more insect than human, which casts some doubt on whether or not he was even a real doctor and not just some crazy hobo who stowed away on the Daedalus in the hopes of at some point stealing a nice new pair of boots.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantean Engineer View Post
                          As much as I was happy to see Jewel on SGA, I'm not so sure if I would consider her character 'very different' than what she was on firefly. She still had that nervous insecurity about herself at the beginning of the episode that the Kaylee character had on Firefly.

It just seems like a very similar character to me. Both are very focused on their work and both are somewhat insecure (Kaylee with herself socially, Dr. Keller with her position of power). Nevertheless, she's just so cute and and a good actress, so I'm happy she's on the show. I hope she grows into her position as head doctor and takes more command. It'll be a different side that we didn't see with Kaylee.
                          Well I spose it just seems different to me . Kaylee was more of a childish character (for lack of a better word), Keller seems a lot more mature and serious.

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
                            As for Teyla -- Torri's been dumped to recurring, but Rachel will likely feel the impact just as much as TH. Her character has been neglected, and that's likely to continue now that they have two other women to write for.

Ms Invisible. It's an interesting choice of name, really.
                            When John used the allusion of the Fantastic Four and described Teyla as Ms. Invisible, I didn't smile at all. I am not sure if the writer wanted to critizise very subtly how they have treated Rachel this past season or if it was just little bit of mean fun (I hope not, it certainly wasn't very innocent). She was invisible this past season (Torry had been so too - not as ften as Rachel but definitely not even has as active as in the last two seasons) and like Alyssa, I doubt that this will change. I can already see the next original cats member being offed. The way SGA looses main cast members....it is like E.R. nor CSI - those also had cast changes in their first or second season but it was only one character and the replacement lasted. In E.R. the whole cast changed but in the course of 13 years (!!!) and the first major change (George Clooney leaving) didn't happen until the sixth year! Also all actors who left, left out of their own free will because they wanted to pursue different paths in their acting careers (sure worked out for George....)

I think I just went a bit O.T. but all I wanted to say is that Dr. Keller is not a good addition because two newly introduced characters are too much and it will not only hurt the dynamics of all existing relationships (Sam will be wedged between John and Rodney and I already saw threads that suggest Ronon and Dr.Keller) but also the chances for further character development of other main cast members is stalled. It is possible to "shake things up" gracefully but the way the PTBS shake things up it is like carrying a glas full of water on a tablet while swishing it around - they do it too much and no water will be left in the glass.
                            He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                            He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                            And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
                              I'll agree they're looking at AT and JS as their shiny new toys, but at the same time, I feel bad for both of them that they're coming into a situation where they know they're going to get a negative reaction from many fans.
                              I feel bad for both of them, as well; the actresses have never been to blame any more than David Hewlett has been to blame for the over-and-above attention McKay has gotten from the writers. It's the bone heads that run the joint and are making such asinine decisions that we should blame.

That said, I am not willing to give her character a chance because it was a pointless and unnecessary replacement. No more than the people who are upset about Weir's downsizing will be willing to accept Carter in her place. "Dr. Keller" may be an adequate or even stellar replacement, but she is not and never will be Carson.

As for Teyla -- Torri's been dumped to recurring, but Rachel will likely feel the impact just as much as TH. Her character has been neglected, and that's likely to continue now that they have two other women to write for.

Ms Invisible. It's an interesting choice of name, really.
                              Not only Ms. Invisible, but most likely first on the chopping block next season when they need another "bump" in their ratings.
                              Last edited by nonniemous; 10 February 2007, 05:42 AM.
                              sigpic

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
                              ~~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I fell head over heals with the new Doc. It does, of course, help that Jewel Staite is one of my favorite people around.

I loved the way they brought her in, and it showed in the beginning she wasn't at all comfortable with her new position within the medical department. THough at the end she handled herself pretty well.

I'm looking forward to see more of her in season 4. I'm sure Jewel can pull it of.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X