Wraith Defenders Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MCH View Post
    Cats and Wraith and how they feed. For cats veggie do give them wind but my friend cat Socks get very huffy if he doesn't get his veg. Wraith diet is eating humans,which "would be bad for them because they share too much of our genetic material" I still wonder if a the Wraith not only get fed when feeding on humans but do they absorb Human DNA and this slowly getting more human (Sorry Das) but still retain their Wraith abilities?
    You know, I always thought this, they must absorb human DNA that would be how they took on human qualities to begin with, if we go with the argument they were originally the iratus bug. The bug fed off of humans and became more human, ergo absorbing and incorporating their DNA...you've brought up interesting points.

I'm not sure the Wraith as a species must evolve to changes in their environments or die. Circumstances are rapidly evolving and not to the advantage of the Wraith - the civil Wraith war - the war with Atlantis and now maybe other human societies are starting to shoot from the hip. The one thing that Atlantis has shown all the other human socieites in Pegusas Galaxy is you can kick the wraith and still live.
    So maybe the only way is the gene therapy and get the Wraith to eat their vegiies. Hope it doesn't give them wind like cats do.
    Ya, I don't know either....I think I was guess-speculating. It would be interesting to hear other people's theories on this.

MCH.

PS hope kitties are well.

PPS got to go I'm tired it's 1.17am UK time anad need to be uo at 6am.
    Oh, yes! the pookies are doing very well! Thank you!! We got them this roundie thing with a ball stuck permanently in the rim. There's also a bit of corrugated cardboard in the centre for them to scratch on. They LOVE, LOVE LOVE IT!!. My one little bum (I call them bums because they bum off of me and they have cute little bums) played on it for two hours straight then fell asleep on it. I should have taken a picture. Soooo cute!!

WK
    "Ask NOT what you can do for your country...ask WHAT'S FOR LUNCH?" O. Wells

Comment

Ok, so I need some help in regards to understanding this new “enemy”. I never watched SG1 sooooo……………possible major spoiler
      Spoiler:
      If its to be the asgard (sp?) aren’t they the little naked brown guys that killed themselves back in the MW? And were fighting with replicators? If so the what do the wraith have to do with them??? Im sure im missing a lot of back round info so could some one please fill me in?

Craig- just went to JMs site. You guys did a great job with the song. You should post it here for other members to read.

Have been lurking and keeping up with the dissections. Very interesting, unfortunately im not as talented as the rest of you when it comes to writing beautiful responses and articulating my thoughts.
      sigpic

Comment

Holy crap:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...s-no-spoilers/

*dies*

(Of course, now I'm more worried than ever... )

das
        Last edited by dasNdanger; 02 October 2008, 07:08 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
          Holy crap:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...s-no-spoilers/

*dies*

(Of course, now I'm more worried than ever... )

das
          Thanks for the heads up, das! The pictures of Todd are very good. I wonder what he is thinking about...
          Spoiler:
          Now I know that I can look forward to seeing him right up to the end of the season. And probably beyond.
          Sparrow hawk

sigpic

Comment

WOW!! I haven't been to this thread what seem like ages! You guys have been very busy.
            @das like your rendition of "Fun Fun Fun" and, thanks for the Todd pic link.

I watched "First Contact" I know it's a little late but I enjoyed the episode and can't wait for the next episode. I really like Todd in this episode. And, I think he will get to the planet and stop the

Spoiler:
            Attero device and I figure who the new aliens are and, they are not that new I think many of you saw the video link that revealed the new enemy. I'm going to say it
            Spoiler:
            They are the Asgard Now couldn't TPTB think of creating another alien I think this suppose to be the "Daniel Jackson and Rodney Mackay Show"

Just one question has anyone notice how slow the forum is?

LS

Comment

Originally posted by masterling View Post
              Ok, so I need some help in regards to understanding this new “enemy”. I never watched SG1 sooooo……………possible major spoiler
              Spoiler:
              If its to be the asgard (sp?) aren’t they the little naked brown guys that killed themselves back in the MW? And were fighting with replicators? If so the what do the wraith have to do with them??? Im sure im missing a lot of back round info so could some one please fill me in?
              Spoiler:
              Remember the Asgard and the ancients were allies, I'm guessing they're avenging the ancients demise or something like that. Or they might be rouge Asgard...they probably are in fact as their whole race supposedly committed mass suicide. I guess we'll find out soon.

Also! Those photos of Todd! *drools*

Comment

Originally posted by Risem View Post
                Spoiler:
                Remember the Asgard and the ancients were allies, I'm guessing they're avenging the ancients demise or something like that. Or they might be rouge Asgard...they probably are in fact as their whole race supposedly committed mass suicide. I guess we'll find out soon.

Also! Those photos of Todd! *drools*
                Thanks, i dont know that. .
                Todd/CH images...***picking self off floor***
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith Cake View Post
                  Originally Posted by Craig the Wraith View Post
                  I'm of the belief that the non faced wraith are eunuchs and intentionally made so. I think among the faced wraith there's a lot of "male camaraderie" if you know what I mean 'cause there don't seem to be a whole lot a female companionship hangin' about. And--I think the queen and her commander have a "working relationship" which also applies to procreation (I keep thinking how beautiful the Primary was and how ugly her commander was--for this alone I want to believe they don't get the ol' heave hoe on but merely fertilize seeded pods). However, I do wonder what Mantis and the Keeper did (from Rising Part II) to keep themselves occupied--being the very few faced wraith awake in such a large lonely dark ship. They must've played a great deal of hopscotch.

WK

Actually, now that I do have a think on it, it's more likely that the queen has many lovers--whoever she wants, whenever she wants. I wonder how that whole thing works? They would have to have sex, engage in coitus that is, for the sheer fact that only a few fish, snails and all mushrooms don't engage in roundie rollie. (Well, and other species, but I think female insects carry around spermatozoa in their bodies and fertilize their own eggs at will...?) I yammer away.
                  I'm of the first opinion about "male comraderie" as you put it. Throughout millenia it's been documented from Greek to even WWI & II and beyond that some generals and military leader encourage the behavior within their ranks for several very valid reasons I can see being embraced by Wraith as well.

1. Bonds between the section grow stronger than mere friendship.
                  2. Morale. Tied in with bonds, in the more depressing parts of waiting for battle and preparation, people would get scared. It'd be nice to have someone there to comfort you, and comfort.
                  3. Protection. They would be more likely to watch out for each other and protect each other in battle and other situations.
                  4. Fighting "better". Some may try and show off to their partner what they can do in terms of fighting skills, although in my experience - at least for the human male - this can lead to dangerous levels of recklessness.
                  5. Appearance. If you think you might be getting eyed up by fellow soldiers, you may be inclined to dress a little better. Wash behind your ears, comb that hair, polish those boots kind of thing.
                  6. If in all eventualities, one of them dies, there's a possibility of the partner being there to witness the event, and promptly taking out as much revenge as one full of blinding red rage can take.

*shrugs* just some support thoughts and reasons

Sorry I have not taken much part in recent discussions....being in the UK and without satellite means I may have to wait for a long long time before being able to see the new episodes. In fact, I find it likely that when the DvD comes out, that's the first time I'll be watching them
                  sigpic

Comment

For those who are interested:

Cedargrove has updated her fanfic, Act 1 of Episode 3 "Enmity" is now posted on her lj:

http://cedargrove.livejournal.com/230193.html

Hope you'll decide to read, and when you do, please review! And don't forget to friend her on your LJ!

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Some quick replies... Interesting discussions everybody.

I have a plastic praying mantis on my desk that is Todd's Common Ground color (and yes, it's named 'Todd').
                      Woooh! You always impress me. Other than that, yep, I prefer when wraith are a pale grey-green. Although I'm still not fond of Todd's new frown (it suits him well, but it detracts a bit from Chris' acting ), wraith makeup has improved a lot in recent seasons.

So, I 'thanked' him by posting MY S6 episodes (also posted here in GW:
                      Spoiler:
                      601 - Todd and the Wraith take over Atlantis, drive all the intruders back to earth, and rule the Pegasus Galaxy the way it should be. The Wraith allow Sheppard, Ronon, McKay, Teyla and Keller to stay, on the condition that they become tava bean farmers, Todd's new favorite food since accepting the gene therapy.
                      602-620 - With a little help now and then from Sheppard & Co, and guest appearances by Zelenka, Lorne, and Woolsey, each episode progressively delves deeper and deeper into Wraith culture and society until the season finale, when we finally learn whether or not hive ships have bathrooms. Major Spoiler:
                      Spoiler:
                      In this final episode of the season, tentatively entitled 'Tiny Bubbles', Todd and McKay treat themselves to a Japanese-style communal bath, where - to his great misfortune - McKay learns the real truth behind Todd's love for tava beans.
                      Your episodes sound better than the ones JM posted!

Originally posted by Wraithworshipper View Post
                      I agree with you about seeing him become an outcast. Right now, Todd is merely odd-man-out by choice. Once Todd secures some kind of continuing future for his kind, I don't see him being loved for it...by anyone!
                      Yep, I think Todd is about to have a hard time from his fellow wraith.
                      Spoiler:
                      Even though most of them believe he acts under his queen's orders,
                      many wraith, especially among his own alliance, might see his willingness to work with the humans of Atlantis as treason to their kind.

Sometime if someone has the courage to look beyond the normal boundaries of their life, and devolopes new radical ideas the rest of society cannot see the benefits of these ideas. So they shun the couragous one.
                      So true... Even if Kenny remains loyal to him (which I hope), Todd must feel lonely.

You're asking the wrong girl, here! I am of the firm belief that all male Wraith are virgins. Why? Because I believe that the queens eat the male after mating, like praying mantis. So, if a male is alive, that means he's never mated. Poor guy...
                      (I might be wrong, however...)
                      I firmly share the same belief. And I would gladly teach Todd a thing or two. I believe that queens mate with several faced males and store their semen, as insects do, and that during the mating process the queen feeds on the male.

I still wonder if a the Wraith not only get fed when feeding on humans but do they absorb Human DNA and this slowly getting more human (Sorry Das) but still retain their Wraith abilities?
                      I remember we discussed this idea a few months ago. I think that with time, wraith are becoming closer to humans, hence the ability of their children to feed on normal food. But they probably only evolve as a species when a queen feeds on humans before breeding. Perhaps they feed on some of their own people before breeding to avoid a "dilution" of their DNA while still gaining enough forces to withstand the process?

So maybe the only way is the gene therapy and get the Wraith to eat their vegiies. Hope it doesn't give them wind like cats do.
                      LOL. But we already know that young wraith eat normal food like humans. There was no mention of Ellia requiring only meat.
                      My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
                      Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Veldt View Post
                        I'm of the first opinion about "male comraderie" as you put it. Throughout millenia it's been documented from Greek to even WWI & II and beyond that some generals and military leader encourage the behavior within their ranks for several very valid reasons I can see being embraced by Wraith as well.

1. Bonds between the section grow stronger than mere friendship.
                        2. Morale. Tied in with bonds, in the more depressing parts of waiting for battle and preparation, people would get scared. It'd be nice to have someone there to comfort you, and comfort.
                        3. Protection. They would be more likely to watch out for each other and protect each other in battle and other situations.
                        4. Fighting "better". Some may try and show off to their partner what they can do in terms of fighting skills, although in my experience - at least for the human male - this can lead to dangerous levels of recklessness.
                        5. Appearance. If you think you might be getting eyed up by fellow soldiers, you may be inclined to dress a little better. Wash behind your ears, comb that hair, polish those boots kind of thing.
                        6. If in all eventualities, one of them dies, there's a possibility of the partner being there to witness the event, and promptly taking out as much revenge as one full of blinding red rage can take.

*shrugs* just some support thoughts and reasons

Sorry I have not taken much part in recent discussions....being in the UK and without satellite means I may have to wait for a long long time before being able to see the new episodes. In fact, I find it likely that when the DvD comes out, that's the first time I'll be watching them
                        Absolutely, Pederasty was a common phenomenon in the ancient world as well as other forms of homosexuality in military settings. It would not surprise me one bit, if the male wraith established their relationships this way.

Beyond being a matriarchy however, we don't know much about females in their society. Wraith social structure doesn not really don't fit with insect societies because drones (worker bees and ants) all tend to be non-breading females. This would make sense from a leadership point of few, as there is less aggression to deal with.

Also, I was reading an article on the some of the theories as to why there are fewer males in insect societies. Entomologists believe that insect societies breed very few males because of the single gene issue--more susceptibility to disease. So, male insects from the order hymenoptera, which includes bees, wasps, ants do not do much work, are not allowed out of the hive and essentially die or commit suicide after mating. It looks like males are only around for breeding. Insects truly have a matriarchal society. On the other hand, there are apparently no "true" human matriarchies. There are many matralinear societies but once males figured out they were responsible for the production of the being popping out of the woman, they moved into to take control of both the woman and the child.

So, there you go. If the wraith truly are half human and half insect, you can see it in their society: a matriarchy of men.

WK
                        "Ask NOT what you can do for your country...ask WHAT'S FOR LUNCH?" O. Wells

Comment

Lots of interesting chat here, as usual!

I liked the discussion of Wraith diet. Being of the medical persuasion, I can't help but wonder what is going to happen when they switch the digestive mechanism back on. In addition to the enzymes and chemicals needed to digest food, the body must produce various hormones to regulate metabolism, appetite, satiety, digestion, etc. Hormones are complicated things and work on a lot of systems -- sometimes having unexpected effects. Once they start meddling with Wraith brain chemistry, who knows what could happen? Maybe they'll accidentally jump-start the human side of their reproduction as well. (Sorry, I was going to sit out the Wraith reproduction chat this time around, but I couldn't resist).

Male bonding in Wraith society is an interesting topic. When you consider the fact that there are almost no females among the Wraith, males have no one but other males with whom they can have a relationship. Comrades? Friends? Lovers? None of the above? Since the writers haven't given us any evidence of any interpersonal relationships among the Wraith, we can only speculate. A lot of good points have already been made in the discussions above and I won't waste space repeating them.

I agree with Laura Dove that das's plots sound like more fun than JM's. I vote that we let das come up with the plot for the first Atlantis movie!

Speaking of das, I wanted to share something that she posted on another thread about a possible Keller/Todd relationship that is just too wonderful to pass up:

Oh, taking Todd to meet the parents! LOLOL!

Spoiler:
                          *The parents meet Todd. Todd leaves the room, leaving Keller with her parents...*

Mom (eyes follow Todd as he leaves the room. She whispers to Jennifer): "He looks a little peaked. Is he well, dear?"

Keller: "Yes, mom, he's fine. That's just his complexion..."

Dad: "Green? Green is his complexion? No one is 'green'..."

Mom: "Oh, honey...he's not green. He has an olive complexion. He's probably Italian." (She looks at her daughter) "Italians are nice, dear, but...isn't he a little old for you? He looks a little old for you..."

Dad: "He looks like a goddarn freak, that's what he looks like. Probably in one of those rock bands..."

Keller: "He's not in a rock band..."

Dad: "Well, he looks like a hippie. Needs a damn haircut, too."

Mom: "Your father's right. His hair is a bit long, and you know how your grandparents feel about long hair on boys."

Dad: "And what's with the dress?"

Keller: "It's not a dress...it's a coat."

Dad: "Looks like a dress. Are you sure he even likes girls? I mean..."

Keller: "Yes, daddy. He likes girls. He likes ME. See, where he comes from, everyone looks like that."

Mom: "And where's that, dear?"

Keller: "Uhhhh...France?"

Dad: "Well, that explains a lot. Must be one of those 'artiste' types. Probably paints nudes, and bowls of fruit. Does he even have a job?"

Keller: "Yes, he's, ummmm...a commander...of his own ship..."

Mom: "Oh, wonderful! A sailor! You're father was a sailor when we met! So handsome he was in uniform, too! And that must explain the tattoo. All sailors have tattoos. This is just so wonderful! Another sailor in the family."

Keller: "Well, he's not exactly in the navy..."

Mom: "That doesn't matter, sweetie. A sailor is a sailor - a man of the sea. They speak their own language, they have their own lore. Men and the sea, SO romantic! I read books about them all the time, in fact, I'm reading one now...it's about..."

*Everyone falls quiet as Todd re-enters the room and takes his seat beside Keller*

Todd: "I trust I am not interrupting anything..."

Mom: "Certainly not! I was just telling my lovely daughter here about an enthralling book I'm reading, called In the Heart of the Sea."

Keller (suddenly panicked): "Mom, maybe you shouldn't..."

Mom: "Don't interrupt dear. It is quite a story, one any sailor would enjoy." (Turns to Todd, in earnest) "You see, it's about the survivors of a whaling ship, and how they had to eat one another in order to survive...can you imagine?! Having to eat a human being?! Could you ever??!"

Todd:

~~~~~~~

das
                          Sparrow hawk

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, SH - though if I wrote it, it would be kinda like a Abbott and Costello movie...

I really must go to bed - but just a quick question - anyone see Sanctuary tonight? Chris was wonderful in it - still manages to have amazing sex appeal completely shorn and rather evil...but a question:
                            Spoiler:
                            Does anyone know if it was Chris under the caveman makeup, too? He just reminded me something of Chris...)

das
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks, SH - though if I wrote it, it would be kinda like a Abbott and Costello movie...

I really must go to bed - but just a quick question - anyone see Sanctuary tonight? Chris was wonderful in it - still manages to have amazing sex appeal completely shorn and rather evil...but a question:
                              Spoiler:
                              Does anyone know if it was Chris under the caveman makeup, too? He just reminded me something of Chris...)

das
                              No I haven't seen "Sanctuary", yet. Get this it is being broadcast this Saturday morning 2:45 AM! on Movie Central I had to laugh.
                              2:45 AM well, I will be deep uncover(s) at that time in the morning having a couple of Zzzzzz...... I just have to fired up the DVR

LS

Comment

Spoiler:

das
                                this question came up several weeks ago somewhere.... its not him, at least not inthe original webesodes.
                                BTW: Keller/Todd family get together- awesome
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X