Wraith Defenders Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well...about creating more threads....

I dunno. This site is SOOOOO slow to load pages (I'm on dial-up at home, high-speed in the office - and even on high-speed it's slow) - I don't like to open more threads than I absolutely have to. I don't mind the ebb and flo of the conversation here...doesn't really bug me that much. But anyone IS free to start any sort of thread they wish to. If anything, maybe we need a WDC art/humor thread...because our art sometimes does take over the thread for pages and pages. But I prefer the main anything-Wraith-goes thread here because it keeps it ALIVE. Specific threads will eventually die - they all do.

das
    sigpic

Comment

Second that das, and as always you can express what I can't in wonderfully chosen words

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
        Come to think of it, wouldn't it have been better to have I don't know, separate threads for separate Wraith things?

Like there's one for the tattoos, already?

A separate folder for all things Wraith would have been nice. With threads like tattoos, clothes, feeding habits, reproduction, mannerism, etc?
        But on the other hand, when did anyone post in tattoo thread last time? A month ago? Two months?
        Too narrow topics quickly finish IMO. And I agree with das - I already have many threads I would like to follow and it would be impossible for me to follow even more But of course, if anyone wants to start something interesting I'll join (if time allows me)
        Originally posted by naamiaiset View Post
        a.k.a., rhys in "broken ties"?

I went on a sig spree...

Spoiler:
        http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/naamiaiset/sga/073-6.jpg[/IMG]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/naamiaiset/sga/074-8.jpg[/IMG]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/naamiaiset/sga/075-7.jpg[/IMG]

because of a convo in todd's thread about an evil hair brush.
        http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/naamiaiset/sga/gif/tb02.jpg[/IMG]
        They're absolutely great!!!
        Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
        Be nice, folks.

I've been guilty of OT myself - like Karhedron said, sometimes you just want to share with the people you 'know'. I posted about the fire near my sister's house, and that was as OT as can be, yet no one complained. Sometimes we are going to go OT - but I have yet to see pages and pages of it - a post or two, yeah - but we are usually really good about staying ON topic. If we DO go OT in a post, we should probably get into the habit of warning that it's off-topic, and putting it in spoiler tags.

das
        I second that. I noticed that about every 200 pages there's lots of tension between people in that thread. I didn't notice that in other threads. Let's really try to be nice to each Keeping OT stuff in spoilers tag would also be polite. And let's remember that some remarks should be PMed if they really need to be said
        *hopes her appeal doesn't sound pathetic*
        ---

Some Wraithiness

Icarium
        Last edited by Icarium; 12 June 2008, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Icarium View Post
          Some Wraithiness

Icarium
          *stares at todd* ...icarium, in your own words, I'm your worshipper now also.
          Last edited by naamiaiset; 12 June 2008, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Some Wraithiness

Icarium
            OMG - drool - well done!

sigpic

Comment

Some Wraithiness

Icarium
              I cannot green you so soon, but they're so very very beautiful...may I save them and use them on my desktop?
              sigpic

Comment

Glad you like them, thank you all
                Now I have a worshipper too *dances*

The Veldt, of course you can use it if you wish

Icarium

Comment

I second that. I noticed that about every 200 pages there's lots of tension between people in that thread. I didn't notice that in other threads. Let's really try to be nice to each Keeping OT stuff in spoilers tag would also be polite. And let's remember that some remarks should be PMed if they really need to be said
                  *hopes her appeal doesn't sound pathetic*

Icarium
                  No - you make perfect sense.

We put off-topic stuff in spoiler tags.

If we have a problem with another poster - take it to PM (Personally, I have been on forums a loooooong time, and don't really have time or patience for 'drama'. I don't want to get into 'fights', or be put in the middle of other people's 'fights'. The forum is not worth getting upset over - we all say and do stupid stuff, instead of taking offense, just ignore it and move on. It's not worth the aggravation.)

I think we are TOO much like the Wraith - ready to eat one another when we get our backs up. It's destroying the Wraith, and it will destroy the nice thread we have here.

Anyway - just to keep this on-topic....

Punishment for naughty Wraith Defenders
                  Spoiler:

Punishment for BAD Wraith Defenders...a date with:
                  Spoiler:

REACTION?
                  Spoiler:

das
                  sigpic

Comment

Like your siggy Naamiaiset, particularly the one of Todd and the hair brush.

Traveler 64 like the picture of Todd, the orange and the red make the planet look very bleak and bare. Not sure with all the reed and orange wheather the gate colour is wrong.
                    But I love it.

MCH
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to DS for my siggy

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler64 View Post
                      LOL!!!

Bugs indeed...

I have to admit that when I first watched Atlantis and they came up with the bug thing I rolled my eyes. Was like--WHY? Why was THAT even necessary? The explanation that the Wraiths are a misbegotten and and ill advised Ancients project tinkering with genetics was a lot more viable and certainly more interesting, with very unique ramifications.
                      That's pretty much what I thought. However, I guess, at the same time, I thought "well this could mean that they are exotic in the 'otherness' sort of way'". It's interesting, I guess because there seems to be nothing more commonly strange/beautiful/grotesque than insects. But bug people? that look like us, talk like us, bleed like us to the point where many of us may find them...Hawwwwt.... just doesn't sound that believable. Did I say they were Hawwwwt?

WK
                      "Ask NOT what you can do for your country...ask WHAT'S FOR LUNCH?" O. Wells

Comment

OK, I'm waiting for season five with bated breath or Wraith breath
                        I read some where that Todd will be in more than three episodes -YAY! or, did I read that wrong? Or, is it just wishful thinking! It also sounds like there will more Wraith in season five. Don't tell me that I'm dreaming .

Spoiler:
                        About OT I think we have all done that. We start talking about the Wraith the we get sidetracked because some other topic pops up that could or don't relate to the Wraith. I think we here are very passionate about our topics then we go on. I too have OT'ed So I will try to stop it like now. There is a thread for off chatter but, I don't think you get those post counts because it is not related to Stargate.

LS

Comment

Since it's been kind of quiet around here (did I chase everyone away?) I decided to be bold and post here a Wraith epainting I've been laboring on and not quite getting it right. I'm still going to work some more on it, but just for fun, here it is.

I'd love some Wraith snarky quotes. I can't think of any right now. Something Todd said with his Wraith humor.

So... Brace yourselves!

Spoiler:

Any thoughts what's wrong with it. Something about it bothers me.

DON'T FEED ON ME!!!! PLEASE!!! I AM TRULY A WORSHIPER!!!
                          Sadly alas, I think it has been me who has scared the worshippers back to the hive.

And wow, I love your e-painting. I'll put on my art hat and give you some feed back if this helps. Okay, here goes...looking now...actually I think I could say much. I'll send you a PM.

WK

Comment

Since it's been kind of quiet around here (did I chase everyone away?) I decided to be bold and post here a Wraith epainting I've been laboring on and not quite getting it right. I'm still going to work some more on it, but just for fun, here it is.

I'd love some Wraith snarky quotes. I can't think of any right now. Something Todd said with his Wraith humor.

So... Brace yourselves!

Spoiler:

Any thoughts what's wrong with it. Something about it bothers me.

DON'T FEED ON ME!!!! PLEASE!!! I AM TRULY A WORSHIPER!!!
                            Okay, I've just tried to send it to you in PM but it wouldn't work so I'll have to send it to you here in spoilers

Spoiler:
                            Okay, so here's the feedback. I promise I won't give it to you every time, but please let me know if this helps.

Three areas: the direction of the lighting/shadows, the consistency of the colours and the thickness of the strokes.

It is a beautiful composition--well done, lots of mood
                            The direction of the lighting/shadows: you have these beautiful monochromatic colours and you have bold contrasts between the mountains (bg), the magenta desert floor (mg) and the pale fuchsia cliff/ledge the wraith is on (fg). When you have a light source coming from one direction this needs to be reflected in "gradation" from the direction of the that source going from stronger to fainter.
                            The magenta (mg) would have a slight change in colour from lighter to mid
                            The mountains(bg) would have tips of light and stronger contrasts of light and dark
                            There would also be a stronger contrast between the ledge colour and the (mg) mountain floor colour.

The wraith shadow should be dimmer and off to his right in a diagonal direction.

Consistency of the colours:
                            The thing to remember about colour is that it has to work with the medium and the subject. Often art students will say, "well, this is how it looks in the photograph, therefore I will paint it how I see it in the photo." Unfortunately, this often does not translate well. There are two reasons for this. The mind: whenever a mind observes a photo psychologically we automatically assume that what we are seeing is "really" no matter how bizarre the subject matter because hey "it's a photo it has to be real". When you take exactly the same subject matter and reproduce with using paint or pencils or whatever, the mind registers the picture as "art"--what I am seeing "HAS" to be credible. In other words you have less, "credibility" with reproducing realistic work when you use other media.
                            The second reason is that photography is a medium in it's own right. How the subject is handled, illuminated ect. will respond differently to different media.

All of this to say: the bright blue colour in the centre top of your painting where you have the wraith ship coming out, draws the attention abruptly. This attention is not the focal point--the wraith's gaberdine, then the mountains, then the mountain floor show the line of interest. Tone down the colour, perhaps sampling it from the far right sky.

Consistency of stroke: remember when you are developing a composition the individual parts do not matter as much as how the whole composition works together. You can see this in film where even though you may have a few actors that cannot act their way out of a paper bag, their style fits with the entire film so the film is a success.
                            Your line thickness ought not to draw attention to itself as "line" but rather as a stroke of light shown because of the sun in the sky.

I hope this helps. I am a grade 12 Art and English High School teacher. And I cannot resist the opportunity when someone asks me to comment. It is beautiful composition--well done, lots of mood (you want to enhance the feelings of the wraith by creating the stronger shadows around him--lonely on a mountain top greatful for the company) by touching up a few things. Again, I wanted to emphasize the powerful mood. As is, I would give you an 80-83%. Let me know if this helps. I won't comment on every piece of art you post, but since you asked I thought I would.

WK

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidSky View Post
                              OK, I'm waiting for season five with bated breath or Wraith breath
                              I read some where that Todd will be in more than three episodes -YAY! or, did I read that wrong? Or, is it just wishful thinking! It also sounds like there will more Wraith in season five. Don't tell me that I'm dreaming .

LS
                              Spoiler:
                              there's a good chance todd will be in episode 17 or 18, it's called "antitode". it sounds like todd/wraith will take the gene therapy.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=55536

Comment

Hi Traveler,

I like the painting! I agree with Risem that the gate should have a sharper outline to make it fit better with the crisp detail of the darts. I think the "black" that was mentioned in an earlier critique referred to the lower edge of the black mountain range. I think I would like it better if that heavy red and deep fuschia stroke that comes over into the black near Todd ended lower down and the black continued in a smoother line. I'm not crazy about the heavy brush strokes in such a small image. But that is just my preference. I really like the contrast between the spray-painty sky and the sharper lines of the closer images. And I really like the way you did Todd!

@Spikey: I understand what you mean about the jumbled nature of this thread, but I like having one thread that is just for general Wraith thoughts. I have a limited amount of time to spend browsing and posting, so I don't surf the forum looking for new Wraith threads. If people really want to start branch threads, I would like to see them mention it here, too. If it's not too much trouble.
                                Sparrow hawk

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X