Wraith Defenders Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark can be beautiful.
    Oh quite sure so; I guess I would not like the Wraith all that much if they'd be wearing bright green clothes and had pink skin

Comment

Originally posted by Nightmarepoet View Post
      Oh quite sure so; I guess I would not like the Wraith all that much if they'd be wearing bright green clothes and had pink skin
      But they are so much more than the vampires of the Pegasus galaxy! They have emotions and back story.... I like to explore them as a people.
      sigpic

I think I need a new signature. *sigh*

Comment

Oh of course but these colors would hurt my eyes so much that I don't know if I would like to know more about them

Sure they are great, interessting and wise poeple and I think if the others in Pegasus galaxy just gave it a try to see more in them than monsters, they all would probably get along better.
        After all Wraith do feed on humans to be alive, and if the humans were clever enough to make deals with them, as to allow the Wraith to feed on murderers or other individuals involved in bad crimes, it wouldn't be such a great problem, I assume

Comment

Hey there I just wondered if anyone of you can help me with a question I have:
          I asked myself, if we have ever heard the Wraith speaking a differnt language than English. I know that they have a telepatic connection with which they can communicate but I wonder if they ever spoke in their own language, if they were talking just to other Wraith.
          I know in some episodes, we see them aboard of their ships but still they talk in English, so I wonder, do they actually have another kind of spoken language like e.g. the elves do in LOTR?

Comment

I know, it's a bit late but nevertheless: welcome to the WDC, Nightmarepoet!

Can't quite remember in which episode but I think Elisabeth said something about the Wraith alphabet being related to the Ancients'. And we heard one of the Athosinas in the first season say kind of a prayer in a language that seemed to be related to Latin, and Elisabeth again remarked it must be some form of Ancient. So without being too sure, I'd guess maybe the Wraith could've had an own language, based on Ancient, sometime in the past. Feel free to correct me on this, my memory isn't always very precise.

The whole language thing gets very confusing if you look too closely, because it simply doesn't make sense that a whole galaxy would simply speak English - but that's just to make the show easier to watch for us ordinary mortals.

Comment

How come, it worked with elvish as well and - if I can remember correctly in - SG-1 the aliens had their own language, too. (not sure about this though, correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't really know either that's why I asked, but I think we can take it as a fact, that most of the time, they speak English, which I think is a pitty, since they are an ancient race and hance should have a more beautiful and mysterious language =)

Thanks for the welcome !

Comment

Welcome from me too.

As DS already said it would be too confusing for the viewers if whole parts would be in different alien languages. Also the creators probably didn´t want to put too much effort into something trivial like languages. So a few words in Ancient or Goa'uld here and some strange looking alphabet there were enough. The effort even decreased in the shows. Where we had some words in Ancient based on Latin and written in the Ancient alphabet in SG-1, it was only English written in Ancient or Wraith alphabet in SGA. Asgard was also only English... just spoken backwards.

Also, I don´t think you can compare a show like Stargate with Tolkien's writings. The authors of the show just had a few years or even months to get a script. Tolkien on the other side worked his whole life on the books, language and other background stuff. He rewrote parts of his books several times. And he was a linguist and developed his languages very detailed. Pronunciation, writingsystems, grammar, wordlists and the whole stuff for several elvish languages based on real languages. You have a functioning language there you can actually speak and write.
                But with those few words in Ancient or Goa'uld you probably can´t even build a simple sentence.
                The only other recent movie I know for which an own language was created was Na'vi for Avatar. And that language was also created by an linguist.

So basic-line why there´s no actual wraith-language: the creators were too lazy, didn´t have the linguistic knowlege and not the money.
                sigpic

Comment

So it's what I also came up with as an explaination before I asked, so be it. Would have loved to learn a Wraith language though =)

Comment

...if the humans were clever enough to make deals with them, as to allow the Wraith to feed on murderers or other individuals involved in bad crimes, it wouldn't be such a great problem, I assume
                    I dunno, it didn't end well for the folks in the episode "Condemned". I'm not sure the humans of the Pegasus galaxy could keep the entire Wraith population fed on criminals alone (especially after the Tau'ri woke all the Wraith prematurely). Still, offering up their criminals would reduce the number of law-abiding citizens that would have to be culled, so there is some benefit to such an arrangement.
                    Last edited by Carrion Kitten; 29 November 2012, 11:42 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Me neither but at least it woulld have been worth a try, it would assure people that they hadn't to fear those crimnials any longer...who, when kept in cells could still break out and spread fear again

Comment

I agree, a functional Wraith language would've been very cool. I wonder whether it would contain growls and hissing sounds.

News from the annual Wraith Advent Calendar project: Just about twelve hours before it goes online! And we still need 9 submissions. Everyone is warmly invited to contribute, more info on this deviantArt blog: http://wraithhiveship.deviantart.com...ndar-332537069

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
                          I agree, a functional Wraith language would've been very cool. I wonder whether it would contain growls and hissing sounds.

News from the annual Wraith Advent Calendar project: Just about twelve hours before it goes online! And we still need 9 submissions. Everyone is warmly invited to contribute, more info on this deviantArt blog: http://wraithhiveship.deviantart.com...ndar-332537069
                          Yay! I'm always waiting impatiently for this calendar. Unfortunately, I can't contribute.
                          sigpic
                          Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
                          Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

I can't either contribute, sorry

But I have another question, and I am sorry if it's been asked before.
                            From what I read Wraith can heal themselves from alomst everything, even shots
                            Spoiler:
                            as eg in Common Ground, when the Genii soldiers fire at Todd he is just walking on forward and kills them

Why then it's so easy to kill them, when the Atlantis-team attacks them with thier guns?
                            I mean in "Outsiders"
                            Spoiler:
                            the drone-soldiers seem to die after just a shot or two when Rodney fires at them

Well, in this episode they seem to be pretty unintelligent all in all. But is there any reason why sometimes they die so easily and then another time they can be shot at without dying at once?

Comment

I can't either contribute, sorry

But I have another question, and I am sorry if it's been asked before.
                              From what I read Wraith can heal themselves from alomst everything, even shots
                              Spoiler:
                              as eg in Common Ground, when the Genii soldiers fire at Todd he is just walking on forward and kills them

Why then it's so easy to kill them, when the Atlantis-team attacks them with thier guns?
                              I mean in "Outsiders"
                              Spoiler:
                              the drone-soldiers seem to die after just a shot or two when Rodney fires at them

Well, in this episode they seem to be pretty unintelligent all in all. But is there any reason why sometimes they die so easily and then another time they can be shot at without dying at once?
                              Some people say it was the writers' way of making the Wraith less dangerous as they saw they created an almost too powerful enemy for the Lanteans. What would be an in-story explanation is that it's based on the fact that a Wraith's regenerative abilities are at its height when he/she has fed most recently. So when we see Todd marching towards the Genii, he's well-fed, like Greg in "The Defiant One". Later in the seasons, it is assumed that the Wraith simply can't nourish themselves properly because there is not enough food for all of them, so they grow weaker.

@JadedWraith: Hope you'll not be disappointed!

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post

@JadedWraith: Hope you'll not be disappointed!

No, I won't be.
                                sigpic
                                Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
                                Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

Working...
                                X