Wraith Defenders Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isolde View Post
    Well, if their taste runs to totally unnecessary decoration on an item that is purely functional, i.e. scalpels, then I would expect they would also go for flock wallpaper, beloved of seedy restaurants the world over. Heaven help an interior designer with a Wraith client, is what I say.
    Originally posted by orbofnight View Post
    @ the idea of Rococo rooms in hiveships.

Maybe a sparse décor makes maintaining living ships easier? Other scifi shows with living ships are the same way, such as in Farscape and Lexx. The style would be fewer nails in the walls (which might hurt the ship), no wallpaper to cut through, and no statue collections to move around.
    Is it just my weird little mind or is anyone else having visions of Todd's private quarters... festooned with seedy restaurant style flock wallpaper... baroque-esque gilded mirrors (to admire himself in, of course )... fringed lampshades casting a red glow throughout... thick-pile fake tiger fur rugs... fake carved marble coffee table covered in highly ornamental little knick-knacks...

Eddie: Sounds pretty stylish to me!

And I presume toenail cutting is one of a devoted worshipper's many duties... *rummages around for spring loaded, heavy duty nail clippers*
    sigpic
    Thanks to Draco-Stellaris for the gorgeous Todd avatar

Comment

Originally posted by Todd's Pet View Post
      Is it just my weird little mind or is anyone else having visions of Todd's private quarters... festooned with seedy restaurant style flock wallpaper... baroque-esque gilded mirrors (to admire himself in, of course )... fringed lampshades casting a red glow throughout... thick-pile fake tiger fur rugs... fake carved marble coffee table covered in highly ornamental little knick-knacks...
      The gilded mirrors would, of course, have plastic frames with gold coloured paint on them. After all, we know their rings are made of painted plastic.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
        The gilded mirrors would, of course, have plastic frames with gold coloured paint on them. After all, we know their rings are made of painted plastic.

Oh, indeed - the tackiness would know no boundaries! LOL

I bet he has boxer shorts with big red lips on them (no Izzy, not yours - printed lips! )
        sigpic

Comment

But they don't have flock wallpaper. They do, however, share a human tendency to have totally unnecessary decoration on purely functional items. Here are some human examples.

http://annabelchaffer.co.uk/products...LG5101HB_L.jpg

http://www.secondhand-catering-equip...%20cutlery.jpg

We have no idea what kind of sterilisation techniques they have. All we can say is that their scalpels must be clean enough because Ronon and Kiryk didn't die of infection after having tracking devices implanted. The one Ronon got in 'Sateda' was his second implant because Beckett removed the first one in 'Runner'.

If so, Boris would have been the commander who had Ronon turned into a runner in the first place. The crewmembers who implanted the original tracking device probably used the same surgical instruments as the ones in 'Sateda'

How are you defining caring and sensitive here? Hunting humans for sport is uncaring and insensitive where human welfare is concerned and they didn't give Ronon a local anaesthetic before inserting the implant either.
          'Insensitive' as in 'unaware' of the possible connotations of having unnecessarily decorated items. The examples you gave are usually on display - often quite visibly - they are not used for digging holes in people, whereas the function of a scalpel is just that. I'm not certain that I would like to use a scalpel at a dinner party, or be present at one that has such as cutlery. Just a tad macabre.

You have a point about sterilisation and I don't deny that similar instruments would exist on other hives, or that the Wraith don't care about the welfare of their charges - but surely that can only be up to a point? What we don't have or know is that the surgical techniques they use are safe or, if not, how many died from being operated on? To ensure there are at least some survivors, they would need to refine surgery somewhat, and Todd seems to have an extensive knowledge of human physiology, so some of that must be true. Let's not forget that people died of shock from the trauma of surgery, so it does behoove them to behave with a modicum of... ah... 'humanity'.

As for flock wallpaper, how do you know that they don't? Hmm...? Is Boris the doyen of great Wraithy taste, or have you expressly forbidden the use of any such items in his quarters. Enquiring minds need to know.

We need to turf his room out, TP. I swear if I see another glass coffee table balanced on a dolphin, I'll scream. More like a womb with a view in that colour. *gets paint and tasteful swatches ready*

I bet he has boxer shorts with big red lips on them (no Izzy, not yours - printed lips! )
          *mind slides into the gutter about lip prints and where they might be.*
          sigpic

Comment

You have a point about sterilisation and I don't deny that similar instruments would exist on other hives, or that the Wraith don't care about the welfare of their charges - but surely that can only be up to a point? What we don't have or know is that the surgical techniques they use are safe or, if not, how many died from being operated on?
            Now that would just be a darned waste of good food

To ensure there are at least some survivors, they would need to refine surgery somewhat, and Todd seems to have an extensive knowledge of human physiology, so some of that must be true. Let's not forget that people died of shock from the trauma of surgery, so it does behoove them to behave with a modicum of... ah... 'humanity'.
            Well, certainly when it comes to changing humans into wraith - he was brought in as the "consulting expert" after all...

Now that does make me wonder... just HOW did he get to be such an expert in this proceedure? How many previous times had he done this in order to become so expert? And why would he do this?

As for flock wallpaper, how do you know that they don't? Hmm...? Is Boris the doyen of great Wraithy taste, or have you expressly forbidden the use of any such items in his quarters. Enquiring minds need to know.

We need to turf his room out, TP. I swear if I see another glass coffee table balanced on a dolphin, I'll scream. More like a womb with a view in that colour. *gets paint and tasteful swatches ready*
            Whose room? Todd's or Boris's? You know me - I'm up for turfing out BOTH!!!! LOL

*mind slides into the gutter about lip prints and where they might be.*
            Where have you been the last few weeks, Izzy? *clears space in gutter*
            sigpic

Comment

You have a point about sterilisation and I don't deny that similar instruments would exist on other hives, or that the Wraith don't care about the welfare of their charges - but surely that can only be up to a point? What we don't have or know is that the surgical techniques they use are safe or, if not, how many died from being operated on? To ensure there are at least some survivors, they would need to refine surgery somewhat, and Todd seems to have an extensive knowledge of human physiology, so some of that must be true. Let's not forget that people died of shock from the trauma of surgery, so it does behoove them to behave with a modicum of... ah... 'humanity'.
              One has to assume that they wouldn't want a new runner dying from infection a few days after getting an implant. Perhaps they have some way of ensuring this and we just didn't see it - one minute Ronon is lying on the table and the next he's beamed down to Sateda. Current human techniques would include stitches and a dressing. The Wraith technique could be puking on the wound and that magic ingredient which restores wizened bodies could kill infection and cause instant healing.

Ronon's lucky he didn't die of infection from his own attempts to get rid of the implant.

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s2...ipts/203.shtml

BECKETT: .... I understand you have some sort of a transmitter in your back. Well, have a seat. Off with your shirt, let's have a look.

( .... Carson is also staring -- at Dex's back, where there are several healed cuts around the wound.)

BECKETT: My God! Tell me you didn't try to cut this thing out yourself.

DEX: Yeah, I tried once with a mirror. Couldn't quite reach. Most of it's from two different doctors.
              This is the Stargate universe, though. From 'The Shrine'.

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s5...ipts/506.shtml

KELLER: ....The radiation is compromising his immune system as we speak, which means if I don't kill him, the infection he's bound to get by being operated on in a damp cave almost certainly will.
              Rodney still manages to survive even though Keller has to use a power drill taken from the jumper tool box.

FOREST. John and Jennifer run through the trees until they reach the Jumper. John runs inside and gets a box out of netting in the rear compartment. He puts it onto the bench, opens it and takes out a power drill and a hammer.
              I dread to think what Sheppard thought the hammer could come in use for.

We never saw flock wallpaper in any areas of the hiveships shown on TV. Maybe they use it in areas we didn't see.
              sigpic

Comment

We never saw flock wallpaper in any areas of the hiveships shown on TV. Maybe they use it in areas we didn't see.
                Oh, there's a whole lot of behind the scenes we didn't see... you've just gotta use your imagination - and it don't come more imaginative than flock wallpaper and dolphin coffee tables in Todd's private domain!

As for the treatment of runners... well, as I recall, they DID give Ronnon weapons and a cosy wraith coat when they set him loose - which is more than we humans do for foxes

Maybe Wraith DO have a fluffy side after all
                sigpic

Comment

One has to assume that they wouldn't want a new runner dying from infection a few days after getting an implant. Perhaps they have some way of ensuring this and we just didn't see it - one minute Ronon is lying on the table and the next he's beamed down to Sateda. Current human techniques would include stitches and a dressing. (1)The Wraith technique could be puking on the wound and that magic ingredient which restores wizened bodies could kill infection and cause instant healing.

(2)Ronon's lucky he didn't die of infection from his own attempts to get rid of the implant.

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s2...ipts/203.shtml

(3)Rodney still manages to survive even though Keller has to use a power drill taken from the jumper tool box.

I dread to think what Sheppard thought the hammer could come in use for.

1. I like your thinking. Puking on a wound is a sterling way to ensure healing.
                  2. Ronon is a twit, and deserved to die from digging around. Or at the very least go gangrenous, which is likely if this was RL, and not the fantasy that is SGA.
                  3. I'd forgotten about the drill and the hammer. Ah, so Keller is just a quack after all.

I'm certain somewhere there is flock paper on a hive - I can feel it in me water.

@ TP: they wasted food all the time with that stupid campaign to wipe out humans who have the Hoffan protein in their blood. What a complete and utter waste of resources, as the bloody disease would have been gone in the next generation - NOT GENETIC AND NOT TRANSMITTABLE. Eeedjuts. And why couldn't they all have gone back into hibernation once they found out they had been woken prematurely? What's that all about?

*starts tearing out tacky furniture and ripping off wallpaper*
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh, there's a whole lot of behind the scenes we didn't see... you've just gotta use your imagination - and it don't come more imaginative than flock wallpaper and dolphin coffee tables in Todd's private domain!
                    What about some of those cavernous rooms done out in the Rococo style? Here's another example

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-PNvjJO2J3...hofDining1.jpg
                    sigpic

Comment

@ TP: they wasted food all the time with that stupid campaign to wipe out humans who have the Hoffan protein in their blood. What a complete and utter waste of resources, as the bloody disease would have been gone in the next generation - NOT GENETIC AND NOT TRANSMITTABLE. Eeedjuts. And why couldn't they all have gone back into hibernation once they found out they had been woken prematurely? What's that all about?
                      Pretty standard writing for SGA, no? Just another one of those incidental details!

*starts tearing out tacky furniture and ripping off wallpaper*
                      Todd: Izzy! That's my favourite flock wallpaper! Naughty corner for you, my girl!

TP: You planned that all along, didn't you, Iz?
                      sigpic

Comment

What about some of those cavernous rooms done out in the Rococo style? Here's another example

Fabulous idea for a hive! Nice high ceiling and the chandaliers can be "grown to taste"

Eddie: ANd nice and sturdy for swinging on!
                        sigpic

Comment

Uuuuuuuuuuuh... one more reason to dislike Rococo and Barock...

Comment

@ TP: they wasted food all the time with that stupid campaign to wipe out humans who have the Hoffan protein in their blood.
                            During the last foot and mouth outbreak in the UK, millions of healthy animals were slaughtered as a way of stopping the disease. The carcases were burned even though the meat from these animals was perfectly safe to eat.

Wraith are no stupider than humans when it comes to wasting food.
                            sigpic

Comment

During the last foot and mouth outbreak in the UK, millions of healthy animals were slaughtered as a way of stopping the disease. The carcases were burned even though the meat from these animals was perfectly safe to eat.

Wraith are no stupider than humans when it comes to wasting food.
                              Well, Foot and Mouth is infectious, and caused by a bacterial agent, whereas the Hoffan thing was an inoculation against Wraith feeding. More magic and wizardry, I fear, than you can shake a very large... er... stick at. I can see an argument for burning diseased carcases, if only to stop transmission, as it is communicable in a number of ways.

The foot-and-mouth disease virus can be transmitted in a number of ways, including close contact animal-to-animal spread, long-distance aerosol spread and fomites or inanimate objects, typically fodder and motor vehicles. The clothes and skin of animal handlers, such as farmers, standing water, and uncooked food scraps and feed supplements containing infected animal products can harbor the virus as well. Cows can also catch FMD from the semen of infected bulls. Control measures include quarantine and destruction of infected livestock, and export bans for meat and other animal products to countries not infected with the disease.

Just as humans may spread the disease by carrying the virus on their clothes and bodies, animals that are not susceptible to the disease may still aid in spreading it.
                              The Hoffan Plague (it isn't a plague either!) does not fit this criteria, and it is not possible to catch something from an inoculation, any more than you can transmit it to the next generation. *sigh*

@ Eddie: You have a shocking one track mind. *heads for naughty corner with large section of flock paper*
                              sigpic

Comment

Eddie: Me? O.O
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X