Wraith Defenders Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
    Crivens! Gotta put that on my amazon wishlist as soon as possible. The Tiffany aching books always seemed to me pretty dark for younger readers, but they're fun nonetheless.

WRAITHWRAITHWRAITHRHYSWRAITHKENNYWRAITHTOMMYWRAITHTODDWRAITH
    Nac Mac Feegle society is a bit Wraithlike - one female per clan.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rekala View Post
      That's right! All my drawing projects has been put aside, I have instead been working on nothing less than 4 Michael paintings this last week!
      But I must say, Todd and Steve are both on a very close second place.
      Looking forward seeing the paintings! I really like Michael too My favourite Wraith are Shawn, Erik, Bob and Greg. All green boys played by James Lafazanos have a very special place in my heart

Oh and all you ladies who haven't seen Spartacus: Blood and Sand need to see it ASAP! So many hot men in one show is a rare and wonderful sight
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by orbofnight View Post
        Another meditation concept is the mandala, commonly having circular shapes. I wonder if Wraith evolution happened so quickly that they bypassed the need for the wheel.
        We don't know anything about the way Wraith technology developed so they might have used wheels for various purposes in the old days. They don't need them any more now, though, because they have hive ships and darts. Their architecture is very interesting because it's based on curves - they don't have square or rectangular rooms and corridors aren't straight with other corridors leading off at right angles. A hive ship is rather like an organic cave system with hyperdrive engines. According to Jung, the mandala is a symbol of the collective unconscious. Perhaps Wraith have their equivelant of a collective unconscious which evolved from both their human and Iratus bug ancestry. If so, a cave might have symbolic significances for them but not the same ones as for humans.

I can't remember who pointed it out now but the feeding slit appears to be represented in ornament and architecture. Perhaps the Wraith equivelant of a mandala could be vesica pisces shape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesica_piscis

While on the subject of symbols, somebody once suggested that Wraith queens wear low cut tops as a power symbol - the tops draw attention to the chest and declare "None of you dare feed on me." If Wraith aren't mammals it could be that evolution adapted human female breasts into 'power displays' because they draw attention to the Wraith females' chests.

I also wonder if they would view Nature as being cyclical; they are "never-ending," yet they normally have a cycle for culling and hibernation.
        I think they might well see Nature as being cyclical because of their own culling and hibernation cycles.
        Last edited by ciannwn; 10 September 2010, 12:30 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post

I can't remember who pointed it out now but the feeding slit appears to be represented in ornament and architecture. Perhaps the Wraith equivelant of a mandala could be vesica pisces shape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesica_piscis
          Interesting... that shape also is like the Venn Diagram, which could be useful for depicting sets of characteristics of human and iratus bug, with characteristics acquired by the Wraith being the overlapped section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Venn-diagram-AB.svg

Comment

I think they might well see Nature as being cyclical because of their own culling and hibernation cycles.
            I've always seen them as having a very strong connection with nature. The organic structure of their hives and technology would give them a very sophisticated understanding of the need to nurture and care for living things (including humans who they managed as a natural resource).
            Last edited by Trillian52; 10 September 2010, 02:29 PM. Reason: Spelling as per usual...

Comment

Interesting... that shape also is like the Venn Diagram, which could be useful for depicting sets of characteristics of human and iratus bug, with characteristics acquired by the Wraith being the overlapped section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Venn-diagram-AB.svg
              Wraith are aware of their human ancestry because Shawn tells the Magistrate -

WRAITH: Our lineage may have diverged

Which, of course, it did on the human side. Would Wraith regard their human side as having any kind of 'sacred significance', though, when humans are a 'food animal' to them?

Originally posted by Trillian52 View Post
              I've always seems them as having a very strong connection with nature. The organic structure of their hives and technology would give them a very sophisticated understanding of the need to nurture and care for living things (including humans who they managed as a natural resource).
              This is true. As Erik says -

WRAITH: Many of the problems we encounter eventually heal themselves,

His use of the word 'heal' indicates that Wraith regard their ships as living things.
              sigpic

Comment

Just for fun, I tried to think of what caves could symbolise for Wraith. This is for humans

http://www.symbolism.org/writing/books/sp/2/page7.html

The symbolism of a cave relates to containment, enclosure and the mythological underworld. Cirlot writes that it is probably related to the general symbolism "of containment, of the enclosed or concealed." Jung, in his book Psychology And Alchemy, notes that the cave stands for security and impregnability of the unconsciousness. It appears fairly often in emblematic and mythological iconography as the meeting-place for figures of deities, forebears or archtypes, and becomes an objective image of Hades.

Wraith could share the security aspect but because of their bug ancestry - Iratus bugs make their nests in caves and live in colonies if only for the breeding season. So what about - security, shelter, home and community?
                sigpic

Comment

Wraith are aware of their human ancestry because Shawn tells the Magistrate -

WRAITH: Our lineage may have diverged

Which, of course, it did on the human side. Would Wraith regard their human side as having any kind of 'sacred significance', though, when humans are a 'food animal' to them?
                  Maybe not sacred, but more of a feeling they got the best that both species had to offer and are superior for that. From humans, they received advantageous traits like hands and also the hair they love to show off.

Comment

Welcome Rekala, may you enjoy many happy hours of Wraith worshipping here! I'll pop over and have a look at your Michael drawings. Todd has always been my favourite followed by Erik but I've got a bit of a soft spot for Michael too.
                    Thanks I'm already having fun. Yay!

Originally posted by Todd's Pet View Post
                    Painting? Where??? Wanna see!!!!

As you can guess from my name I was a Todd Babe when I joined GW way back, but then Steve stole my heart... *sigh*

Greg comes pretty damn close and since I don't believe in 2nd or 3rd, they're all Numero Uno!

Sweet wraith dreams - what time zone are you in?
                    Here it is; http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/3...1#post11863721
                    You can find it on my Deviantart account as well.
                    That one was drawn after a reference (: My next one isn't, so we'll see how that turns out

Haha aah! I see. My favorites tend to change pretty often, but something tells me Michael's gonna hold on to first place for a while!
                    My time zone is GMT +1. I'm not so good with time zones.. I believe it's 1 hour ahead of central european time.

Originally posted by Leleth View Post
                    Looking forward seeing the paintings! I really like Michael too My favourite Wraith are Shawn, Erik, Bob and Greg. All green boys played by James Lafazanos have a very special place in my heart
                    Awesome C: And thanks.

Michael signature by Draygon. Others by me - My Wraith Art

Comment

That one was drawn after a reference (: My next one isn't, so we'll see how that turns out

Haha aah! I see. My favorites tend to change pretty often, but something tells me Michael's gonna hold on to first place for a while!
                      My time zone is GMT +1. I'm not so good with time zones.. I believe it's 1 hour ahead of central european time.
                      Wow! That is fabulous! Looking forward to seeing more!

Are you Rekala on deviantart too?

Ah, yes... so may wraith, so little time... I understand completely! LOL

I'm in the UK on GMT, so hopefully we;ll be around at the same times, so TTYL *hugs*
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Draco-Stellaris for the gorgeous Todd avatar

Comment

Originally posted by Todd's Pet View Post
                        Wow! That is fabulous! Looking forward to seeing more!

Are you Rekala on deviantart too?

Ah, yes... so may wraith, so little time... I understand completely! LOL

I'm in the UK on GMT, so hopefully we;ll be around at the same times, so TTYL *hugs*
                        yay! C:

And no, My deviantart username is Angela-free-glades. it's long and complicated XD I was gonna move accounts to Rekala, but I never got round to it..

Ooh and that sounds great

Comment

Wow, that is very good, well done & I look forward to seeing more! Makes me wish I could draw well enough to even attempt something like that!

Comment

I love your artworks Rekala.

As you can see in my sig and avatar I love Eddie and Greg the best. Of course I love others Wraith too, but these two are my fav.

Last edited by Bajka20; 11 September 2010, 04:34 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Wow, that is very good, well done & I look forward to seeing more! Makes me wish I could draw well enough to even attempt something like that!
                              Aaaw, thank you so much!! You could always learn (: It just takes a lot of time, practice and patience, s'all!

Originally posted by Bajka20 View Post
                              I love your artworks Rekala.

As you can see in my sig and avatar I love Eddie and Greg the best. Of course I love others Wraith too, but these two are my fav.
                              Thank you
                              Awesome! And great pictures *3*

Comment

yay! C:

And no, My deviantart username is Angela-free-glades. it's long and complicated XD I was gonna move accounts to Rekala, but I never got round to it..

Ooh and that sounds great
                                I put that in a search on dA but it didn't find you

Could you click on my dA link under my sig and send me a message so I can find you?
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to Draco-Stellaris for the gorgeous Todd avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X