Wraith Defenders Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solla View Post
    Ooops, it seems that I’m demoted to First Lieutenant as a severe punishment for unknown sins. My post counts were taking away, too. Have I said something inappropriate?
    Ah, it's probably[wraith] just a computer [wraith] glitch.

WK
    Last edited by Wraith Cake; 07 April 2009, 03:00 PM.
    "Ask NOT what you can do for your country...ask WHAT'S FOR LUNCH?" O. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Draygon View Post
      It's because the mods have moved all the counting threads into Off-Topic chatter, so those posts no longer count.
      Oh, Greeeeaaat. I suppose I should just insert the word "wraith" whenever and randomly in my posts so it's not considered off topic. And relationship building with other posters at the WDC which the lovely wraith have been the initiators of....Hhhmmmmm.

Let me go back and modify my recent posts.

WK

Who has the time on their hands to read every__ __ thing that falls out of our heads on to the page to make sure it relates to the wraith? If that's a paid job, where I can I apply--'cause teachings a bLEEEEEP!

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
        I'm glad I never tried to get my post counts up with those games.
        But all we talk about is the wraith Ciannwn

WK

Comment

What counts as on-topic? The funny thing is that one third of my posts here (I mean this thread) are not wraith related at all. Formally, they are malicious off-topics .
          That is WHY you have been summarily punish-ed silly Solla.
          [wraith wraith wraith wraith wraithie wraith wraith]

WK

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
            Mine too.
            I've heard of newbies's posts not coming through moderation for being off-topic but in general they are very generous around here compared to other forums.
            I think the counting threads will loose some of their poularity now that it's not possible any longer to use them to boost the post count. I admit I used them too for that purpose. Maybe the mods think the threads should include more stargate-y elements.

Oh, so now I also have to include stargate-y elements? Okay. If this isn't someone's day job to go through the posts and see what's related, they probably have a scanner that looks for specific words. Okay here goes: wraith wraith Rodney wraith Shepard Shepard Woosley wraithie wraith.

WK

Comment

Originally posted by Draygon View Post
              It's because the mods have moved all the counting threads into Off-Topic chatter, so those posts no longer count.
              IMHO I think it's a mistake on their part. Normally I would play games while talking on the threads. Tonight I cleaned out the fridge while visiting and did less visiting because I got wrapped up in what I was doing offline. Normally once Europe/UK goes to bed I would play games during the evening. Now I won't be on GW doing that. I'll be off doing something else. All they've done in my case is cut down on my time on GW. I'll be spending only about 1/8 of the time here that I use to spend. It's kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Their loss in my book.

What counts as on-topic? The funny thing is that one third of my posts here (I mean this thread) are not wraith related at all. Formally, they are malicious off-topics
              I've seen some pretty mindless chatter on some threads that was about the equivalent of counting so it's not like people aren't off topic and doing junk posts all over. It's just picking on one particular group in my mind.
              Last edited by Starry Waters; 07 April 2009, 07:02 PM.
              sigpic
              Siggie created by TP//Avatar by Draco-Stellaris

Comment

Okay, here's a question. We know that some wraith like Todd live past 10,000 years. We assume that's probably common among queens and faced wraith. But what about the drones? Somehow I can't see them living for that long. I don't know why they wouldn't, but for some reason I see them as more disposable and short lived. What say the rest of you?
                sigpic

Comment

O HAI WDC, I've been lurking for over a month.

Originally posted by Starry Waters View Post
                  Okay, here's a question. We know that some wraith like Todd live past 10,000 years. We assume that's probably common among queens and faced wraith. But what about the drones? Somehow I can't see them living for that long. I don't know why they wouldn't, but for some reason I see them as more disposable and short lived. What say the rest of you?
                  Personally I don't see it as being that common at all. Todd is an exceptional wraith with exceptional survival skills, and I think he's only lasted this long because of it. I also feel he's been always been as cunning as he is, even before Kolya stuck him in the pokey. Wraith can be conniving little back stabbers, so while a few thousand years may be the norm, I think Todd making it to the big ten-oh-oh-oh-oh (think of the fire hazard that birthday cake was) is a rarity.

Queens might get close to that age because the males have such respect and fear for them and wouldn't dream of harming a hair on one's head. But the queens themselves engage in quite a bit of in-fighting and it seems a behavior they would be prone to even in peaceful times.

Comment

I've just looked at the new rules for 'Fun And Games' and the ones which have been relegated to 'Off Topic' are the 'Counting Only' games because they involve nothing but numbers. The ones which are left in 'Fun And Games' are actually Stargate related in that people are voting for favourite characters, episodes, who to feed to the Wraith etc. etc.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
                      Mine too.
                      I've heard of newbies's posts not coming through moderation for being off-topic but in general they are very generous around here compared to other forums.
                      I think the counting threads will loose some of their poularity now that it's not possible any longer to use them to boost the post count. I admit I used them too for that purpose. Maybe the mods think the threads should include more stargate-y elements.
                      At least you have saved your face... I mean your avatar .

Originally posted by Wraith Cake View Post

WK
                      But I have been voting for Todd's a$$ from time to time .

Originally posted by Starry Waters View Post

I've seen some pretty mindless chatter on some threads that was about the equivalent of counting so it's not like people aren't off topic and doing junk posts all over. It's just picking on one particular group in my mind.
                      Exactly. I do realize that chevron counting is lack of intellectual stuffing but I can’t find any signs of insight or thought work in posts like «Year, he is really cool» either. People are having fun in both cases.
                      ~ Created by Draygon ~

Comment

I know, I always--feel so "special" when JM replies to my posts[wraith, wraith, wraith, wraith wraith]. I'm being a little too sarcastic here, he's not a bad bloke as I don't think even he is that self absorbed. Nonetheless, there is a hint of that: "I take the time (my time) to respond to your posts, so this should be enough." Meanwhile, back at the ranch[the wraith hive], the whole reason one has an open blog is to solicit responses to one's blog [dart ship--wraith]. I don't know if he completely believes the patronizing pap of "I deign to respond to you, ergo you "ought" to be grateful I grace you with my replies", which is so prevalent in the in the film industry [wraith industry]. I don't think he believes the pap so much as it is the propaganda he's surrounded with in the industry, even in Canada.
                        Since I have visited his blog only several times to read wraith related answers, I feel I can’t contribute much into this particular theme about JM's blog. I simply don’t know how does JM communicates with his fans or guests. I also do realize that it’s simply impossible to answer to all comments you get, especially if you get tons, although I find that nothing will happen to you to write at least collective thank you. After all all those people also have given you their time and efforts and most of them are rather sincere with their sympathies for you and your work. Thus, I want to say that when I make my own observations in this field I feel that people who beat down doors of those blogs or live journals are unwittingly belittled so to say. Where is the sense of one sided «conversations» where the other person seems to take no interest in anything that you said/wrote or - vice versa - you constantly neglect what the other person has written in their comments? It simply doesn’t work when you deal with people in real life.

There are a few sycophantic fans who feel very special when he answers however--I like to call this a symbiotic relationship between host and parasite (which ever is which depends on your point of view ) Again, I'm using JM as an example (any film type could fit the profile), but truth be told he is a lovable sort, I just don't think I like the crowd he surrounds himself with. You know the adage: "bad company corrupts...." These of course are my personal, and general observations, without reference to anyone or anything.

WK

wraith wraith wraithie wraith wraith
                        Very well said. I think you have caught the essence of this... er... interaction.
                        ~ Created by Draygon ~

Comment

WK
                          Off-topic:

Looking through the forum in the morning?
                          ~ Created by Draygon ~

Comment

Off-topic:

Looking through the forum in the morning?
                            Nothing wrong with that...

[wraithwraithwraithwraithwraithwraithwraithwraithwraithwraith]
                            If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
                            sigpic

Comment

Since I have visited his blog only several times to read wraith related answers, I feel I can’t contribute much into this particular theme about JM's blog. I simply don’t know how does JM communicates with his fans or guests. I also do realize that it’s simply impossible to answer to all comments you get, especially if you get tons, although I find that nothing will happen to you to write at least collective thank you. After all all those people also have given you their time and efforts and most of them are rather sincere with their sympathies for you and your work. Thus, I want to say that when I make my own observations in this field I feel that people who beat down doors of those blogs or live journals are unwittingly belittled so to say. Where is the sense of one sided «conversations» where the other person seems to take no interest in anything that you said/wrote or - vice versa - you constantly neglect what the other person has written in their comments? It simply doesn’t work when you deal with people in real life.

Very well said. I think you have caught the essence of this... er... interaction.
                              Which I have to say is very true. And overall he in particular seems to feel that sense of obligation to return most people posts because they too have taken of their time. I just got tired of his pedantic flights of "I've been to this restaurant and that country bla bla bla". Most of his posters will never have had the opportunity to travel or have the money to spend $1,500-3,000 on a meal. No matter his intentions, it will always come across as classist. There's this wonderful on-line critic, whose name I can't remember off hand but I will find it. He does these hilarious reviews of various stars' escapades. Well, lovely Gweneth Paltrow has decided to create a blog for the "everywoman" the common person about how to put together an outfit for regular wear for a week. This critic (I nearly had to go have a lie down I laughed so hard after I read his review), totaled how much it would cost to have a "common everyday wardrobe" designed by Ms. Paltrow--it was $9000.00 US dollars--for a WEEK! EEeek! Who the He// has $9000.00 to spend on clothes for a week? --How 'bout $9.00 from Goodwill, or Valuevillage? I have to say she seems like a lovely lady, but utterly out to dinner so to speak. No matter her intentions, she will always come across classist with these attempts to "relate".

WK

wraith wraith wraith wraith

Comment

At least you have saved your face... I mean your avatar .

But I have been voting for Todd's a$$ from time to time .

Exactly. I do realize that chevron counting is lack of intellectual stuffing but I can’t find any signs of insight or thought work in posts like «Year, he is really cool» either. People are having fun in both cases.
                                I agree. And it's not like they just do it for an occassional post either. I've seen pages of the stuff. Sometimes they fill up 1/3 of a page saying

John

Sue

John

Sue

Joooohn

Suuuueee

Joooooooohhhhhhnn

Suuuuuuuueeeee

and so on!!

If they are going to allow people to do like that and earn points then they should be allowed to do the counting games and get points too. I don't see what the big deal is anyway. They should want people online. If they want to be in off topic chatter they should get points. If they want to have mindless dribble like the example above they should get points. If they want to PM each other they should get points. Or they should just do away with post counts altogether. To pick on isolated groups, just chases people off.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X