X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolness. Thanks Tri.

Here ya go:
    Spoiler:
    Foreword means ‘first word’ or ‘the word in front’, doesn’t it? (For the sake of this little stream of consciousness, let’s presume it does.) Well now, to write a first word about Stargate: Atlantis would be impossible; there have already been so many words written about Stargate SG-1 and now Stargate: Atlantis. So all I can hope to offer is to contribute to the middle words! I know it can’t be the last word—this is partly because of hope, but mostly I know this because we are presently shooting season three. So hopefully there will be at least one more ‘last word’ Foreword—and, in fact, I hope for many more middle words before that last word is written…

Here we are, all who are reading this, looking over season two of Atlantis, so my first pointed middle word must be: thanks. Thank you for watching us (and reading this), for without you there would be no us. Eternal gratitude. Because of all of you, I get to have one of the coolest jobs around. Not only because I get to be the boss of a team of scintillating and handsome hero boys, and not just because they have to listen to me even though I don’t carry a gun. Not only because I have the joy of having the strong, smart and lovely Rachel to giggle with. But also because a lot of science fiction acting takes place entirely in your imagination.

Now, I recall acting teachers pounding into my head how I should “Never ‘act’ only ‘re-act’”. Well, at the start of the first season I was cursing them, thinking, “What the hell do I do? My reaction to a big piece of green fabric isn’t going to be that interesting!” And then the fear surfaces that if it isn’t connected to you heart, you will end up in the “no turn un-stoned” school of over-over-acting. Then, somewhere along the way, I remembered play. As a kid you don’t need anything but your own belief in the story you are living out. You don’t worry about props or logic or even if your sister knows she’s play the part of the Evil Guardian of the Treasure who you have to sneak past to get to the Kitchen of Gold. It’s your world to create and every inch of it feels real. So now I get paid to play. And play all day is exactly what we do!

There are days on set when we get tired and grumpy or frustrated with solving problems, be it props or blocking or words, but almost immediately we look around and remember—or sometimes are reminded—how lucky we all are. Not only are the people surrounding me each day so talented, funny and, on the whole, kind, but this entire franchise has inspired such creativity and connection from its loyal viewers. Some of the art I’ve been sent and scripts I’ve read from fans online are treasures. People like Sharon (Gosling, the loyal author of this series of companions, among many other Stargate words written) put so much into this. So alongside ‘The Powers That Be’, Brad Wright and Robert Cooper—for starting this whole damn thing and giving me a job in their self-made madness—all our wonderful writers, directors, magician DOPs, cast, everyone of our incredible crew, and my sister for giving me all that practice as a kid, I must thank all of you for this really great part of my life.

I didn’t grow up on science fiction, in fact I never really got it. So when I was offered a job on Stargate: Atlantis it meant a crash course in sci-fi. And phew! What a course it was… (I only wish this companion had been available then. Where were you Sharon?) I soon discovered some of the many things I would come to love about it. For one, how it creates a safe haven to explore politics and philosophies which may be too delicate to ponder overtly and explicitly at certain times in history. But maybe more precious is its ability to bring strangers and outsiders together—both in other galaxies and right here at home.

Sci-fi fans are one of a kind: loyal, detail oriented (“in episode three the button to the left was pressed to engage the ZPM resent, and in episode nine someone pressed the right button”)—alright, some are a bit obsessive—and all of them are open of heart. The number of letters I’ve received from people telling me how they met their best friends in sci-fi chat rooms, and some even sharing out they found the loves of their lives at conventions, blows my mind. And it was that same impulse that made my character, Dr. Elizabeth Weir, take the job as head of the Pegasus Galaxy expedition: to explore different cultures, find the similarities… and celebrate the differences (well mainly—when the Wraith come to visit we don’t put out the chips and dip). So far she’s met with more defensive than open cultures… but she, like I, believes there is more good than bad out there. And so we both hope for future Forewords in future companions on futures Atlantis seasons.

Torri Higginson
    Vancouver, May 2006

Sig by sofie

Comment

Originally posted by AngelmaOwl View Post
      Coolness. Thanks Tri.

Here ya go:
      Spoiler:
      Foreword means ‘first word’ or ‘the word in front’, doesn’t it? (For the sake of this little stream of consciousness, let’s presume it does.) Well now, to write a first word about Stargate: Atlantis would be impossible; there have already been so many words written about Stargate SG-1 and now Stargate: Atlantis. So all I can hope to offer is to contribute to the middle words! I know it can’t be the last word—this is partly because of hope, but mostly I know this because we are presently shooting season three. So hopefully there will be at least one more ‘last word’ Foreword—and, in fact, I hope for many more middle words before that last word is written…

Here we are, all who are reading this, looking over season two of Atlantis, so my first pointed middle word must be: thanks. Thank you for watching us (and reading this), for without you there would be no us. Eternal gratitude. Because of all of you, I get to have one of the coolest jobs around. Not only because I get to be the boss of a team of scintillating and handsome hero boys, and not just because they have to listen to me even though I don’t carry a gun. Not only because I have the joy of having the strong, smart and lovely Rachel to giggle with. But also because a lot of science fiction acting takes place entirely in your imagination.

Now, I recall acting teachers pounding into my head how I should “Never ‘act’ only ‘re-act’”. Well, at the start of the first season I was cursing them, thinking, “What the hell do I do? My reaction to a big piece of green fabric isn’t going to be that interesting!” And then the fear surfaces that if it isn’t connected to you heart, you will end up in the “no turn un-stoned” school of over-over-acting. Then, somewhere along the way, I remembered play. As a kid you don’t need anything but your own belief in the story you are living out. You don’t worry about props or logic or even if your sister knows she’s play the part of the Evil Guardian of the Treasure who you have to sneak past to get to the Kitchen of Gold. It’s your world to create and every inch of it feels real. So now I get paid to play. And play all day is exactly what we do!

There are days on set when we get tired and grumpy or frustrated with solving problems, be it props or blocking or words, but almost immediately we look around and remember—or sometimes are reminded—how lucky we all are. Not only are the people surrounding me each day so talented, funny and, on the whole, kind, but this entire franchise has inspired such creativity and connection from its loyal viewers. Some of the art I’ve been sent and scripts I’ve read from fans online are treasures. People like Sharon (Gosling, the loyal author of this series of companions, among many other Stargate words written) put so much into this. So alongside ‘The Powers That Be’, Brad Wright and Robert Cooper—for starting this whole damn thing and giving me a job in their self-made madness—all our wonderful writers, directors, magician DOPs, cast, everyone of our incredible crew, and my sister for giving me all that practice as a kid, I must thank all of you for this really great part of my life.

I didn’t grow up on science fiction, in fact I never really got it. So when I was offered a job on Stargate: Atlantis it meant a crash course in sci-fi. And phew! What a course it was… (I only wish this companion had been available then. Where were you Sharon?) I soon discovered some of the many things I would come to love about it. For one, how it creates a safe haven to explore politics and philosophies which may be too delicate to ponder overtly and explicitly at certain times in history. But maybe more precious is its ability to bring strangers and outsiders together—both in other galaxies and right here at home.

Sci-fi fans are one of a kind: loyal, detail oriented (“in episode three the button to the left was pressed to engage the ZPM resent, and in episode nine someone pressed the right button”)—alright, some are a bit obsessive—and all of them are open of heart. The number of letters I’ve received from people telling me how they met their best friends in sci-fi chat rooms, and some even sharing out they found the loves of their lives at conventions, blows my mind. And it was that same impulse that made my character, Dr. Elizabeth Weir, take the job as head of the Pegasus Galaxy expedition: to explore different cultures, find the similarities… and celebrate the differences (well mainly—when the Wraith come to visit we don’t put out the chips and dip). So far she’s met with more defensive than open cultures… but she, like I, believes there is more good than bad out there. And so we both hope for future Forewords in future companions on futures Atlantis seasons.

Torri Higginson
      Vancouver, May 2006
      Hehe. *pets her copy of the companion* I never had the patience to type that up. Go you!

Comment

Coolness. Thanks Tri.

Here ya go:
        Spoiler:

Torri Higginson
        Vancouver, May 2006
        Thanks! ::looks at her copy:: You're way patient to type that up, I think you deserve some green for that.
        Thanks to Spacemonkey Jackson for the signature!

Comment

Thanks guys. It wasn't that bad. I actually don't own a copy of the book anyway. I just typed it up from somebody's scans of the pages. I have the pictures.

Sig by sofie

Comment

Hey guys! Haven't been in here in awhile (denial is a lovely thing). Anyway, I thought you'd be interested in my most recent video for Elizabeth. It's essentially a trailer for why Elizabeth is important to the show, and what she's done these past three years. It's not that long but I think it gets my point across I decided it was about time I came out of my insulated cocoon of denial and contributed something to saving our dear leader Anyway, check it out and tell me what you think.

You Tube

Download

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

There's NO ONE HERE *echoes*
              I was sleeping sorry... Wait... 4am? I was lying in bed wide awake at 4am, trying everything to go back to sleep (hate it when that happens)

Thanks for the transcript! I don't have the companion... yet.

Comment

Lol ! I'm back....

Happy Birthday MF.

I think I came up with the idea of us using Torritos - indeed, that is food - to name ourselves : " Proud to be a Torrito, I want the whole fandom to embrasse ( eat ) the Torri attitude... " ( Lol sorry Torritos ^^ ). I can't get enough of it !

Comment

Thanks for the transcript AO!

Wallpaper, from Return 2, so spoiler cut. Click thumbnail for full size version.
                  Spoiler:

Visit the stargate_pad LJ community; a pairing a day for the stargate fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by ubiquitous View Post

Wallpaper, from Return 2, so spoiler cut. Click thumbnail for full size version.
                    Spoiler:

This one is so gorgeous!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blower'sGate View Post
                      Lol ! I'm back....

Happy Birthday MF.

I think I came up with the idea of us using Torritos - indeed, that is food - to name ourselves : " Proud to be a Torrito, I want the whole fandom to embrasse ( eat ) the Torri attitude... " ( Lol sorry Torritos ^^ ). I can't get enough of it !
                      lol. Is there any way to stick a bag of Toritios (a modified Doritos bag--even if it's only with tape and a marker) onto the craft service table during one of the set tours in March?

Originally posted by ubiquitous View Post

Love the wall ubi. Hehe. I needed a new one soon anyway. *grins* Great timing.

Oh yeah, and the transcript is no problem. Anybody else have anything they need/want transcribed? (preferably just scans of the pages you want typed as opposed to audio files).

Sig by sofie

Comment

I have a question guys!

Do you think Elizabeth speaks French?

Because we know she speaks five languages in Rising (or was it SG1's TLC?) and then she learns Ancient but we never knew which languages she did speak...

And yep, it might help for a future fic...

Comment

Originally posted by Vicky View Post
                          I have a question guys!

Do you think Elizabeth speaks French?

Because we know she speaks five languages in Rising (or was it SG1's TLC?) and then she learns Ancient but we never knew which languages she did speak...

And yep, it might help for a future fic...
                          "Bien sure qu'elle parle français" ^^
                          Remember french used to be the diplomatic language !

-actually I have no idea -

Comment

I think she would. It's one of the two official languages of Canada, which is the neighbouring country, after all...

I think she might speak Czech, too, because have you noticed how Zelenka never curses in his own language when she's around?

Comment

Originally posted by Trialia View Post
                              I think she would. It's one of the two official languages of Canada, which is the neighbouring country, after all...

I think she might speak Czech, too, because have you noticed how Zelenka never curses in his own language when she's around?
                              LOL. Yeah I figured she probably spoke French, but that observation about the Czech is just awesome. *snickers again*

Sig by sofie

Comment

Originally posted by Trialia View Post

Good point ^^

Comment

Working...
                                X